IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Every email I sent these clowns yesterday bounced back to me. So unless I suddenly can't work email they are not good anymore. Later I will try to find more addresses to try. The only one I didn't try was that Micheal guy. I did attempt to talk to them on Twitter. Fred cheesehead even has his own account. I doubt he responds but hey, why not?

I cant wait for that update 11

Truthfully, I don't know if I'm more frustrated or amused the way the whole thing is playing out.

attachicon.gifdownload (1).jpeg

It is certainly amusing. Even I will admit that and I gave them money. Right now I'm on the verge of thinking it is safe to call this a scam when I talk to them. I've been hesitant to say that because that is a big accusation and I want to at least stay civil with these clowns.

• Like 1

I'm hesitant to mock Mr. Phelan, as I'm respectfully unsure of his cognitive abilities. His comments still should be countered, though.

After reading his last comments, I tend to agree with you.

• Like 2

I'm hesitant to mock Mr. Phelan, as I'm respectfully unsure of his cognitive abilities. His comments still should be countered, though.

I'm not going to give a dime to this "project" so I'll do it here.

thumbnail-deaf450c2d4183b9309b493f6a7b20

johnphelan1979
8 hours ago

I have no doubt in my mind that the atari vcs is going to be awesome. From day 1 till now I always believed in the atari vcs.

Good for you? You've put your money where your mouth is, at least. You show more confidence in "Atari VCS" than Atari SA does. They launched it through a subsidiary and crowdfunding to reduce financial risk to the company.

johnphelan1979
8 hours ago

People keep asking me why do you want the atari vcs. They keep asking me negative questions about the atari vcs and these people tell me that they love atari. And I say back I’ve always loved atari from the 70s till now that’s why I want the atari vcs.

"Just because" is not a very compelling reason.

johnphelan1979
7 hours ago

I’ve got 3 atari 2600s that still work after 40 years. I love the atari 2600 it’s my favourite console of all time. The new atari vcs is going to be my new favourite console and I’m going to get 3 of them as well. The best things about the new atari vcs is that it’s an open platform no restrictions plus it looks cool even better looking that the original atari vcs plus the main reason it’s going to have the atari vault built in.

Those old machines were built in the 1970s and 1980s using simple, mostly off-the-shelf parts. They're easily fixed if they break, and easily replaced if they can't be fixed. I wouldn't be so sure about getting 3 of the "new favourite console," since "Atari Game Box LLC" has not demonstrated that they can build anything in mass quantities -- even their humorous pratfalls where Michael Arzt put his foot in his mouth only come around every few months.

johnphelan1979
8 hours ago

I own an atari 5200 now I live in Ireland at the time everyone I knew said to me don’t get it its a bad console. I bought it and it was great the graphics where far superior than the 2600 and it had great games in my opinion buck Rogers was cool centipede was better on the atari 5200 pole position was awesome. If it wasn’t for that controller that the atari 5200 came with it would have lasted longer.

Ah, the Atari 5200. The Edsel of game consoles.

johnphelan1979
7 hours ago

I still own all my atari consoles they all still work and I use them daily. The atari 2600 5200 7800 lynx and the atari jaguar and they are all awesome

Reminder: these were made by different companies and people than the "Atari Game Box LLC" scampaign.

johnphelan1979
4 hours ago

Im an impatient person I want things done now I hate waiting just like anybody else does. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned that if things are rushed it won’t work right and no one will be happy. People keep saying to me especially the people that hate the atari vcs why are you making excuses for them and I say I’m not I’m just saying that this is reality the atari vcs will come out and it will be awesome I’ve said that to people all the time. Yeah but in your opinion they say to me.

Ain't no faith like blind faith.

giphy.gif

johnphelan1979
4 hours ago

Im an impatient person I want things done now I hate waiting just like anybody else does. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned that if things are rushed it won’t work right and no one will be happy. People keep saying to me especially the people that hate the atari vcs why are you making excuses for them and I say I’m not I’m just saying that this is reality the atari vcs will come out and it will be awesome I’ve said that to people all the time. Yeah but in your opinion they say to me.

Yes, you said that already. We get it.

giphy.gif

johnphelan1979
4 hours ago

But where is the proof they say so I showed all the updates I’ve gotten so far I’ve shown them all the interviews. So I say there you go if you still don’t believe it well I can’t convince you nobody can. For me I can’t wait till the atari vcs comes out I say 10 years from now the atari vcs will still be going strong and it will be awesome.

There it is, that's my position as well. "So I say there you go if you still don't believe it well I can't convince you nobody can." There's a place in the United States called Missouri, the "Show-Me-State."

The most widely known legend attributes the phrase to Missouri's U.S. Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver, who served in the United States House of Representatives from 1897 to 1903. While a member of the U.S. House Committee on Naval Affairs, Vandiver attended n 1899 naval banquet in Philadelphia. In a speech there, he declared, "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Regardless of whether Vandiver coined the phrase, it is certain that his speech helped to popularize the saying.

The best, and only real proof, will be if/when this thing comes out. I seriously doubt it will be "awesome," but that's a matter of opinion. Whether or not they ship on anything close to their original timeline is a matter of fact.

In contrast, this guy seems to be keeping his eyes open.

Ronald E. Searfoss Jr.
2 hours ago

Whoever is moderating the comment section would rather delete critical comments than respond to the most basic of questions. Where are you at in the project timeline? Your backers deserve transparency.

I think the person running the project should be held accountable. Maybe they're just filibustering until their latest stupid lawsuit is over?

Screencapped that last comment just in case they get delete-happy again.

post-2410-0-98741000-1551714463_thumb.png

• Like 5

Man, looking at the Atari VCS Indiegogo page is such a downer.

I had just spent the weekend successfully repairing my childhood Sega Genesis, playing a bunch of games on it like Earthworm Jim, Sonic, etc., and watching MadLittlePixel's livestream testing out the new Retro-Bit controllers, and I had such a great time.

And to come back to the winter of discontent with the Atari VCS campaign isn't healthy.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

This JohnPhlegm guy is really being a suck-up with five spammy posts.

I would love to know how he has had a PAL 5200 since it was first released because there never was such a thing. 2600 and 7800, yes, but the 5200 did not see European release. Source: I'm also Irish and grew up there during the time the 5200 was current.

If he imported an NTSC console, that's one thing - but without a multisystem television to run it on, you'd have no usable picture or audio. Those were not cheap in the '80s (or '90s, for that matter). Source: me again, growing up with family in the entertainment business, and having multisystem TVs and VCRs so that we could watch NTSC tapes sent over from the 'States.

• Like 4

I would love to know how he has had a PAL 5200 since it was first released because there never was such a thing. 2600 and 7800, yes, but the 5200 did not see European release. Source: I'm also Irish and grew up there during the time the 5200 was current.

If he imported an NTSC console, that's one thing - but without a multisystem television to run it on, you'd have no usable picture or audio. Those were not cheap in the '80s (or '90s, for that matter). Source: me again, growing up with family in the entertainment business, and having multisystem TVs and VCRs so that we could watch NTSC tapes sent over from the 'States.

I don't think he said it was a PAL version. He said he lives in Ireland and he has an Atari 5200 "now." He also says people told him not to get it because it's a bad console, but didn't say when. If his username means he was born in 1979, I would assume he got the 5200 more recently than not. That would give him plenty of time to "catch up" to multi-compatible monitors etc at more reasonable prices. Despite all the flaws in his reasoning, I'd trust his inventory of Atari systems the most.

• Like 5

I don't think he said it was a PAL version. He said he lives in Ireland and he has an Atari 5200 "now." He also says people told him not to get it because it's a bad console, but didn't say when. If his username means he was born in 1979, I would assume he got the 5200 more recently than not. That would give him plenty of time to "catch up" to multi-compatible monitors etc at more reasonable prices. Despite all the flaws in his reasoning, I'd trust his inventory of Atari systems the most.

All of which is entirely possible, and I'm with you in that his Atari inventory is likely accurate.

I re-read his comment that led me to call him out on this. Here's the original version:

I own an atari 5200 now I live in Ireland at the time everyone I knew said to me don’t get it its a bad console. I bought it and it was great the graphics where far superior than the 2600 and it had great games in my opinion buck Rogers was cool centipede was better on the atari 5200 pole position was awesome. If it wasn’t for that controller that the atari 5200 came with it would have lasted longer.

Here's how I read it, inserting the missing punctuation (edits in bold) needed for it to make dialectical sense in my head:

I own an atari 5200. Now, I live in Ireland. At the time everyone I knew said to me, 'don’t get it, it's a bad console'. I bought it and it was great: the graphics were far superior than the 2600 and it had great games in my opinion. Buck Rogers was cool, Centipede was better on the atari 5200, and Pole Position was awesome. If it wasn’t for that controller that the atari 5200 came with it would have lasted longer.

In effect, I'm 'hearing' him speak what he's written in my mind as I'm reading it. This may put a different spin on it to me due to dialectical familiarity.

However, it's also entirely possible that I misinterpreted his remarks; that can happen regardless of dialect. Having said that, I'm not entirely certain that I did - for me, there's quite a bit of lingering doubt surrounding that possibility, and, while I don't doubt that he owns a 5200, I feel that he might be happy to let people think that he's had one since its launch.

• Like 3

You've got the "voice from home" advantage, that's for sure. ;)

Sticking commas into a sentence can also have the unintended effect of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves."

Just for fun:

I own an Atari 5200 now. I live in Ireland. At the time, everyone I knew said to me, "don’t get it, its a bad console." I bought it, and it was great. The graphics where <sic> far superior than the 2600, and it had great games in my opinion. Buck Rogers was cool, Centipede was better. On the Atari 5200, Pole Position was awesome. If it wasn’t for that controller that the Atari 5200 came with, it would have lasted longer.

Or ...

In Pirate Speak...

I own an Atari 5200 now. I live in Ireland. Yo-ho-ho! At th' time, everyone I knew said t' me, "don’t get it, its a bilge-suckin' console." I bought it, and it were bein' great. th' graphics whar far superior than th' 2600, and it had great games in me opinion. Buck Rogers were bein' cool, Centipede were bein' better, ye scurvey dog. On th' Atari 5200, Pole Position were bein' awesome, by Davy Jones' locker. If it wasn’t fer that controller that th' Atari 5200 came with, it would have lasted longer.

Not that it matters. John recently posted a new YouTube rant, citing a July 2018 podcast interview with Michael Arzt as proof that the 'Box will come out as promised. Simple as that!

• Like 5

You've got the "voice from home" advantage, that's for sure. icon_wink.gif

Hah! :D Strangely enough, I grew up learning and speaking three main dialects of English: Southern Californian, South Dublin Irish, and (here's the trifecta) Southern England English; the amount of exposure was dependent on where we were living or spending a lot of time. As a result, I have a tendency to use the English language in some unusual ways on occasion - and while I'm far from being a forensic linguist, it does let me pick out certain structures and errors common to parts of the world I may or may not live in at present ;)

• Like 4