IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I miss the simpler days of the Coleco Chameleon... where some idiot would post photos on Facebook of a fake console with a DVR card in it, and within hours the whole sorry mess would be over.

Good times... good times...

This Ataibox thing is just going on forever.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 8

I wonder if Mike Kennedy is a backer of this thing... that would be just splendid!

and more importantly hilarious!

I've never seen mike kennedy and fred cheesehead in the same place at the same time!

• Like 1

Wasn't the first Apple computer around $666.66?

Yes, the Apple 1 was advertised for exactly that amount. From what I've read, Stephen Wozniak claims it just a coincidence and nobody at Apple had any idea what the number 666 might be a reference to. Yeah, right. That is why you ended up at that very even, very common price tag.

I miss the simpler days of the Coleco Chameleon... where some idiot would post photos on Facebook of a fake console with a DVR card in it, and within hours the whole sorry mess would be over.

Good times... good times...

This Ataibox thing is just going on forever.

Yep, as scammers go, "AtariBox" is far more competent. Take the money, close off refunds, show nothing. :-(
  • Like 2

I present to everyone... the Poly Ataco Mega Box VCS! It has a 64 bit AMD CPU! and umm, electrons, and chips and things!

First, the M.2 SSD is installed. It has so much POWER that it sticks out past the end of the PCB, and it needs to be held down with a special retention device.

taco3.jpg

Well crap. It has so much drively power that it wasn't bootable... Never fear, the SSD of doom will fix it right up! SATA to the rescue

taco1.jpg

After the drive situation is sorted, I proceeded to install Windows 10, earm, Linux on it...

taco4.jpg

Loading taco.exe....

taco5.jpg

Success! We have tacos!

Oh yeah, it runs Millipede too.

taco2.jpg

Seriously though, it is no joke. I did indeed get this AMD dev board to install windows onto the SATA drive via a USB stick, and loaded MAME onto it and ran Millipede. It took around 3-4 hours total, with about 1.5 hours spent futzing around with EDID hacking to fix my monitor's broken EDID so that I could get the entire image to display. (known problem with this old LCD). This shows that Atari did basically no work last year getting that board to run outside of installing an OS and an emulator. Proving that anyone can make an Ataribox prototype in their own home!

One thing, I didn't manage to get into the BIOS so I could not make the M.2 bootable. This is a dev board so it might not be possible, or there's some weird way to do it. If anyone knows, I'd like to hear. I don't even know what BIOS it runs- it doesn't say on boot.

• Like 28

well it's even worse than that, the only thing they even kind of implied to have running on that board was a spinning cube. everything else was 'illustration purposes only'

They showed last year in august their dev board (complete with photoshipped pics to strip identifying information) running centipede. Of course we don't see anything but it running centipede- no OS or anything, so I suspect it was just windows like I did. The pictures do appear genuine- I set this board up just like they had, and got it to run. Compare the pictures in this article with pictures of my board. They are nearly identical. I still am not sure why that one guy in the last picture has his hand down the back of his pants...

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/https-medium-com-atarivcs-behind-the-scenes-atari-vcs-mid-summer-hardware-summit-44cddc7e474c

• Like 7

I present to everyone... the Poly Ataco Mega Box VCS! It has a 64 bit AMD CPU! and umm, electrons, and chips and things!

First, the M.2 SSD is installed. It has so much POWER that it sticks out past the end of the PCB, and it needs to be held down with a special retention device.

taco3.jpg

Needs more electrical tape.

• Like 3

Yay Kevtris! BTW I got my shipping confirmation for Mega Sg. THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE, SON

You're way ahead of what "Atari" said they'd deliver -- that 32GB eMMC in their specs is a joke. If they shipped that with Windows instead of Linux, they wouldn't be able to update it without running out of space.

So they say their new AMD chip is "thus far unannounced" ...

Atari cannot thank our great partners at AMD enough for bringing forward this exciting new  and thus-far unannounced  product for us to utilize in the VCS.

Every single one of "Atari"'s statements so far has been slippery with the truth. Does anyone think that maybe the chip already exists and is only "thus far unannounced" by ATARI, not AMD? I have trouble believing these ass hats would have access to something truly custom or unique from AMD.

My skills are almost certainly weaker than those of Kevtris, but I'm pretty sure that if you sent me a board like that, I could have it booting Linux (for real!) and playing Centipede in less than 3 hours too. The real work would be in the custom OS and fitting the final hardware into the goofy little case.

Who wants to bet they'll ship it with a massive external power brick, if they actually ship at all?

• Like 10

Scamtari have really gone about this thing all wrong from the start.

In the current form factor, it was always going to be too underpowered to be anything other than a niche item that would only sell on Indiegogo. They didn't learn the lessons of the OUYA in that regard.

I know that just sticking a mini-ITX board into a larger Atari-badged case would feel like a copout, but that's all Atari are good for these days. Putting their brand onto generic crap or selling it to the highest bidder. The joystick controller looks pretty awesome, but that's pretty much the only good thing to have come out of this project. Everything that Atari have tried to do has been done before. The one example it seems that Chesnais didn't take notice of is Steam OS and the Steam machines, which have bombed badly. Atari are offering virtually the same thing, but in a smaller form factor.

Who's up for a bidding war on the Atari brand? I can see this causing Atari's collapse, especially if they have to refund backers.

Edited by Tickled_Pink
  • Like 3

Needs more electrical tape.

Not to mention more Taco, more Cowbell and more FPGA

MORE CORES! Lets all head down to the core store and buy some more cores...

Coleco, Coleco, Coleco, Coleco, Coleco Chameleon

The power light won't glow, it does not gloooow!

• Like 2

They showed last year in august their dev board (complete with photoshipped pics to strip identifying information) running centipede. Of course we don't see anything but it running centipede- no OS or anything, so I suspect it was just windows like I did. The pictures do appear genuine- I set this board up just like they had, and got it to run. Compare the pictures in this article with pictures of my board. They are nearly identical. I still am not sure why that one guy in the last picture has his hand down the back of his pants...

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/https-medium-com-atarivcs-behind-the-scenes-atari-vcs-mid-summer-hardware-summit-44cddc7e474c

my bad :< this nonsense is all running together in my head

A bit off topic, but a point of interest:

The 2600 Knight Rider Project thread was started in 2003 and is 37 pages long.

This thread was started in 2017 and is 657 pages long.

LOL! :)

You know what it takes, don't you?

HardWork

• Like 5