IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Yeah..

While it's nice to see two updates in one month like that, realistically all they shared were computer renders. I would've preferred a video posted (like I've been wanting for months).

Obviously they still haven't even finalized the casing design. At this point in time, I still have much more excitement towards Sega, especially considering that SegaFES is tonight, and DUDE..... MORE DETAILS ON THE IN-HOUSE DEVELOPED GENESIS MINI!!!!!!!!!! :D HELL YEHEH!

• Like 6

Oh hey, look... a rendering of a motherboard:

vcs-mobo.png

Also, is that an M.2 SSD on the left? If so, THAT would be nice. Upgradeable internal storage.

On the right it looks like they've already got the APU and RAM chips laid out where they're going to go.

Sorry, I know I'm supposed to be ragging on Atari. When it comes to tech in general I'm automatically fascinated by it. Lol.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

^Yeah, it might technically work alright. Looks like possibly enough clearance for a small fan, might be doable, now. If they were ordinary amateurs, bumbling along and figuring out things as they go, we might be willing to cut them suitable slack, but the project has been built on deception from the start, so it might be a bit difficult for us to shift gears to accepting they might just make it work, even if just perfunctorily. The case looks fairly nice and usable/suitable for a second life, beyond this iteration of the brand, when these get cleared out, if they appear in suitable quantities, at all.

Still expect they're looking to entice/con a sugar-daddy to invest or are just looking for a buy-out, by proposing something that might be workable, passing on the actual actuation to a different party.

Edited by AtariNerd
  • Like 2

The slight redesign is neat and all, but it really doesn't matter much if they keep insisting on showing us renders instead of an actual prototype, which I doubt they will ever build.

I was kinda hoping for Atari to release another update for us to make fun of.

Looks like I got what I wanted. Maybe they were listening...nah probably not. Also since Atari didn't take an eternity to update us this time, here's a triple decker taco.

twUij.jpg

• Like 4

All it looks like is someone at AtariSA spent a weekend on making some new renders. The talk about working with AMD isn't impressing me either. We all know/knew that one guy in our close group of friends that would always like to share their brilliant dreams yet never deliver.

Im not saying they wont create a console, however im highly doubtful it will be much more impressive then a glorified flashback.

• Like 3

IGG emailed me again.

Did you know your contribution is not complete?

Logged into their page and sure enough I have been flagged to not receive my Preorder (perk as IGG says).

Now if enough other people would fight them to get their money back. But what does it matter, while I was logged in I checked the backer list and not surprising it is ever growing and filled full of anonymous contributors again. Nothing shady about that.

I guess when you are using other folks money why bother?

• Like 7

Don -- sounds like your money has left their system. Hope it gets back to you soon.

The latest "Atari" update mentioned eventual retail availability. Anyone feeling the slightest amount of Fear Of Missing Out should take comfort in the idea that if this turns out to be something worth having, they could maybe buy it at retail someday. That seems like a better way to wait for Jaguar 2.

• Like 4

IGG emailed me again.

Did you know your contribution is not complete?

Logged into their page and sure enough I have been flagged to not receive my Preorder (perk as IGG says).

Now if enough other people would fight them to get their money back. But what does it matter, while I was logged in I checked the backer list and not surprising it is ever growing and filled full of anonymous contributors again. Nothing shady about that.

I guess when you are using other folks money why bother?

Interesting. I'm guessing that they didn't specify why you're suddenly ineligible to receive your pre-order / perk / whatever it is that it's being called this week.

Given your recent history of attempting to seek a refund for non-delivery, one could probably make a pretty good case for that being retaliatory behaviour. Whether it's from Atari SA, Indiegogo, or a combination of both is subject to conjecture, but the timing is certainly very interesting.

• Like 2

Oh hey, look... a rendering of a motherboard:

vcs-mobo.png

Also, is that an M.2 SSD on the left? If so, THAT would be nice.

A more detailed view makes clear that Atari is very serious about its dedication to the legacy of this beloved old brand. Old made new. Holistic ecosystem. The classic returns, with a twist. Hardware takes a while when you are doing it right.

post-2410-0-14348200-1553956028.jpeg

• Like 4

A more detailed view makes clear that Atari is very serious about its dedication to the legacy of this beloved old brand. Old made new. Holistic ecosystem. The classic returns, with a twist. Hardware takes a while when you are doing it right.

Designing a holistic ecosystem is an elaborate drinking game.

• Like 6

Yesterday's post should lay to rest any ideas they ever had a legitimate console product--or anything even close.

I thought about going through and finding all the times I could recall their saying AVCSbox was "real", or implying as much through video gameplay. But then, that started to sound like work and it's going to be a gorgeous day today here. I will, however, post this tweet from the week the AtariBox was first announced. As of June 2017, the Ataribox was very real. Let me stress that point: It was not just real, but "very real":

post-39941-0-40343800-1553956264.jpg

Sweet! TheVerge even confirmed it with an Atari representative. But then came the first crowdfunding campaign and it got delayed, as Nathan Strum so aptly pointed out, because of "one key element":

post-39941-0-10875100-1513254487.jpg

"One key element on our checklist".

That seems even more ridiculous now than it did then.

Fact-check: TRUE! Oh well. Surely nearly two years down the road they have a functional prototype? Maybe the above is just a case of blurred lines?

The venting is what I was referring too, I hadn't seen any press about it so I didn't want to say much.

So now that the case was redesigned and the modular venting is gone, are you able to expand upon what the idea was? When is your NDA up? Our fake imaginary #NotMyAtari magazine needs content!

Really sick of being told that critical thinking is somehow bad.

I know this is an old post, but: Hush, you!

Really getting sick of being told that positive thinking is somehow bad.

It runs both ways here.

I'm positive Atari misled many people. :_(

• Like 6

Are we calling cheap diagrams and 10 minute 3D renders rigorous fabrication process now? They say they're waiting on new pre-production units now, i.e. new 3D prints which will be light years from reproducible tooled molds. So, they're just now trying to do what I called more than 18 months ago, putting a generic micro ATX board with an SOC in a plastic box. All these anonymous backers sure suggest more of the backer number inflation aimed at getting a boost in the stock or company sales potential. They can back their own project, write off the cost, and then sell the extra boxes if and when they ever create them. Scam city.

• Like 6

Technically I got my money back BUT since they have a 60 day window to fight me on this, I am not considering this over until that window closes. The thing is I don't want their scam console. So if they think that my angle is to get something for free, they are wrong. All I ever wanted was a refund because I realized this was a stupid thing to buy into.

• Like 9

Don -- sounds like your money has left their system. Hope it gets back to you soon.

The latest "Atari" update mentioned eventual retail availability. Anyone feeling the slightest amount of Fear Of Missing Out should take comfort in the idea that if this turns out to be something worth having, they could maybe buy it at retail someday. That seems like a better way to wait for Jaguar 2.

Not fair. Atari Corp had a working prototype for the Jaguar 2; that's been confirmed for 10+ years.

• Like 1