IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Technically I got my money back BUT since they have a 60 day window to fight me on this, I am not considering this over until that window closes. The thing is I don't want their scam console. So if they think that my angle is to get something for free, they are wrong. All I ever wanted was a refund because I realized this was a stupid thing to buy into.

Somehow your story of getting your money back from this mess needs to make it front and center to all other people who want a refund. While it is simple enough to do so, a lot of people don't realize they can get their money back pretty easily by contacting their financial institution as you did. Folks are more likely to act when they see proof of a positive outcome like yours.

• Like 4

Somehow your story of getting your money back from this mess needs to make it front and center to all other people who want a refund. While it is simple enough to do so, a lot of people don't realize they can get their money back pretty easily by contacting their financial institution as you did. Folks are more likely to act when they see proof of a positive outcome like yours.

The only reason I'm sort of being quiet about this is that I want to make sure my plan works since they do have time to dispute this. The thing is it would be nice to find a way to get this information out there without trying to post it to the IGG page. Rainfactory will just delete it or IGG would get wise to what happened.

• Like 3

Updated renders? Super awesome, can't wait to play.

Yeah wouldn't have been as bad if this was done early on. Its news. Not great but it is. If they would have done more updates like this we would still be making fun of them but not for lack of updates and horrible communications that are coming 'soon'.

So how do you think this went down?

ENGINEER GUY: Sorry, guys, if we're going to do this, I just can't get it to work in this form-factor. It looks nice, but functionally it's a bit whack. Also, I suggest these changes. I'm an electrical engineer, so get someone else to design the pretty box around these needs.

NUTAREE: Oh, OK. So, who can we sucker in to design it and wind up not paying, as we (supposedly) did for the classic controller? Anyone from a local school who would be willing to do it for credit and notoriety? Anyone here?

Actually, I suspect the original design, if it wasn't just a random, wishful mock-up bit of bait, might have been based around a specific, ready-made board they had in mind (whatever was cheap and did the job) and they are probably doing similar here. Going from that sample test-board to designing a custom hardware, would in-fact itself, be a pretty ridiculous expectation with the staff they have on hand and the time-frame expectations they had, if they had really intended to complete the project. icon_wink.gif Might be able to find/figure out which board they have in mind, by the noted changes, like the front-facing USB ports, etc.

Edited by AtariNerd

That seems very possible if something does ship.

Let's say it does ship - people like Mark NJ on Facebook and JohnPhelan1979 on IGG will do their crowing for a day or two.

Then it'll be fun to watch them defend the fact that it has zero software that anyone actually wants.

Look up Atari's games that they have bothered to publish in recent times and the only ones that have good reviews are the Atari Vault and Tempest 4k. Everything else (Rollercoaster Tycoon, Haunted House Remake #53156, Night Driver) are forgettable garbage, at best. Nothing like a system seller that will drive sales beyond the initial backers.

I've also thought that this whole thing was designed as a ploy to get some deep pockets company to buy them up. Remind the world that Atari still exists, generate some hype, find a buyer who is just as easy to dupe as JohnPhelan. That hasn't panned out yet, so they are left scrambling for excuses to try and deliver or figure out a way to quietly cancel the project and move onto the next harebrained scheme to sell off the company for millions.

So how do you think this went down?

ENGINEER GUY: Sorry, guys, if we're going to do this, I just can't get it to work in this form-factor. It looks nice, but functionally it's a bit whack. Also, I suggest these changes. I'm an electrical engineer, so get someone else to design the pretty box around these needs.

NUTAREE: Oh, OK. So, who can we sucker in to design it and wind up not paying, as we (supposedly) did for the classic controller? Anyone from a local school who would be willing to do it for credit and notoriety? Anyone here?

Actually, I suspect the original design, if it wasn't just a random, wishful mock-up bit of bait, might have been based around a specific, ready-made board they had in mind (whatever was cheap and did the job) and they are probably doing similar here. Going from that sample test-board to designing a custom hardware, would in-fact itself, be a pretty ridiculous expectation with the staff they have on hand and the time-frame expectations they had, if they had really intended to complete the project. Might be able to find/figure out which board they have in mind, by the noted changes, like the front-facing USB ports, etc.

Why not just give Mike Kennedy a ring-a-ding-ding and have him knock out a few Jaguar cases, I bet he still has the master molds that was to be the Coleco Chameleon.

Or even better, introduce a new PERK! Atari VCS Super Happy Fun Limited edition, $500 you get the Jaguar VCS case.

Edited by OCAT

If this wound up being a new case, based around a VCS Jnr or a Jaguar II design, I wouldn't mind. I'd have to wait until it hit clearance, though.

From what I've heard, the Jaguar/Chameleon molds are in safe hands - Albert's, and probably won't be mussed with, anymore.

EDIT: My grammar can be a bit annoying, sorry about that.

• Like 2

Why not just give Mike Kennedy a ring-a-ding-ding and have him knock out a few Jaguar cases, I bet he still has the master molds that was to be the Coleco Chameleon.

The owner of AtariAge bought those molds from Mike after the "RetroVGS Coleco Scameleon SNES Jr. DVR Card in a Jag Shell" was fully exposed and everyone got to see what had drove off the cliff into a ball of snake oiled fire. Getting those molds away from Mike was about the only positive to come out of that whole mess.

• Like 7

is there _ANY_ indication that Atari would do any retail selling? The completely blatant scam signalling aside, (hard for me, I know)....there is zero indication of it.

-Thom

Here's the most I could find on their News and Updates section on the Atari site. No news about retail, only "commercial".

"Atari VCS: the hardware division, led by Michael Arzt, will start contributing to Group revenue in the fiscal year 2019/2020, as initially expected. The Atari VCS will now be powered by the new, more powerful AMD Ryzen chip. The incorporation of the new processor will lead to a delivery at the end of 2019 of the pre-orders made through the Indiegogo platform, with a commercial launch in 2020. Discussions with distributors are ongoing."

https://www.atari.com/the-atari-group-provides-an-update-on-recent-business-developments-and-its-perspectives-on-the-occasion-of-the-game-developers-conference-2019-in-san-francisco/

"Atari VCS: the hardware division, led by Michael Arzt, will start contributing to Group revenue in the fiscal year 2019/2020, as initially expected. The Atari VCS will now be powered by the new, more powerful AMD Ryzen chip. The incorporation of the new processor will lead to a delivery at the end of 2019 of the pre-orders made through the Indiegogo platform, with a commercial launch in 2020. Discussions with distributors are ongoing."

https://www.atari.com/the-atari-group-provides-an-update-on-recent-business-developments-and-its-perspectives-on-the-occasion-of-the-game-developers-conference-2019-in-san-francisco/

In order to sell at retail, Atari would need to commit to producing far more units than their pre-orders. I'm thinking a minimum of another 10,000. That's thousands of units that aren't paid for or guaranteed to be sold. Do you think Atari has the capital to take that risk, and would doing so match their pattern of activity at all?

That's completely ignoring if any retailer would want something like this on their shelves after seeing the crowdfunding fiasco. If the analysts at Target and WalMart are that clueless, I need to get cracking on getting Atari rich myself...

On the campaign page, under "why do I have to wait longer than usual?"

This is not just pre-orders: You're helping to build the device, and we need to know how many to make before we can start production. This is the first of its kind, and you'll be glad you waited. We will send you updates while we work to produce the first batch.

Nothing about this has ever added up. The "ribbed" design was obviously a nonstarter from day 1. Why would they tool 16 pieces instead of 2, for zero practical benefit? It's also plain to see that there's no room for anything inside with that design. It only made sense for the presentations of the empty box prior to the arrival of their hardware savior, Rob "hands down pants" Wyatt.

post-2410-0-75568600-1554040005_thumb.png

giphy.gif

The user interface has never been shown except for obvious mockups. The only games they've shown in motion are available elsewhere. Their next update promises some of that. Want to bet it's more stills and claims of "we're working really hard" ?

The whole point of crowdfunding was supposedly to build a crowd, as Michael "hiding from press in undisclosed location" Arzt claimed they had plenty of money to build this on their own. Yet they tell their shareholders they're seeking a licensing and distribution partner once it's done.

Any doofus can make a "production-ready" rendering. They've shown no evidence that they're any farther along than Coleco Chameleon, which had cute renders, too. From the backers' perspective, they might even be moving backwards.

I love how they ask the backers to stop asking about the controllers.

One important thing to clarify for everyone right now is that all Atari VCS products are on the same timeline. Joysticks, Controllers and VCS systems ordered through the Indiegogo campaign and Backerkit platform will all ship to backers on the same schedule, regardless of whether they are standalone units or part of a bundle. This also applies to the rollout of retail product what it happens.

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN

giphy.gif

With all the issues in plain sight, why are the pigeons so bunched up about the SD card slot? Is it because it's like a teeny weeny cartridge slot? One of these is not like the others, can you spot the difference?

post-2410-0-28581800-1554039808_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-94902400-1554039815_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-21156800-1554039834_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-14060100-1554039845_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-97760500-1554039853_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-90149800-1554041018_thumb.pngpost-2410-0-91891200-1554041027_thumb.png

(and is IGG's line break formatting broken for anyone else? Seems like a big setback; shouldn't typesetting come standard with any webpage?)

• Like 4

The difference between Ataribox and PolyMega is I think PolyMega WANtS to deliver something. Atari, despite allegedly "really wanting it to happen", really just wants someone else to buy the project or even their whole company. And they clearly don't have a "Plan B" that involves satisfying customers out of their own pockets.

• Like 7

In order to sell at retail, Atari would need to commit to producing far more units than their pre-orders. I'm thinking a minimum of another 10,000. That's thousands of units that aren't paid for or guaranteed to be sold. Do you think Atari has the capital to take that risk, and would doing so match their pattern of activity at all?

That's completely ignoring if any retailer would want something like this on their shelves after seeing the crowdfunding fiasco. If the analysts at Target and WalMart are that clueless, I need to get cracking on getting Atari rich myself...

Your point about the crowdfunding fiasco is, of course, extremely relevant. Assuming Atari recovers and they get it into the backer's hands, then I believe mass market / big box retail buyer would take orders. Given the AtGames sales history (as a baseline comparison) and Atari name recognition I think it would be low risk for retailers, again, assuming the backers get theirs. As a retail buyer, I'd definitely be doing my homework and with such a visible IGG campaign out there and Google, it's pretty easy homework!