IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Your point about the crowdfunding fiasco is, of course, extremely relevant. Assuming Atari recovers and they get it into the backer's hands, then I believe mass market / big box retail buyer would take orders. Given the AtGames sales history (as a baseline comparison) and Atari name recognition I think it would be low risk for retailers, again, assuming the backers get theirs. As a retail buyer, I'd definitely be doing my homework and with such a visible IGG campaign out there and Google, it's pretty easy homework!

As Bill Logiduice has stated many times in the "Dedicated Systems" part of this forum, part of why AtGames mini-consoles are so inexpensive is because of retailer demands to keep things cheap. The mini-consoles from Nintendo and Sony were helpful in raising the pricing ceiling, but even with the PlayStation Classic marked at $99, they're still much more like toy pricing than "Atari VCS" which starts at $239. The Atari name got them 4 million 3 million dollars from those who failed to think, but I doubt that would happen at retail.

I agree that it's pretty easy homework. Look at how PlayStation Classic, a system with a lot of genuine anticipation, tanked at retail. The internet has been absolutely savage in its criticism of AtGames toys. I can only imagine how rough the critics will be with "Atari VCS." Their best hope is to be ignored, a "cult classic" enjoyed by those who already sunk money into it.

• Like 5

As Bill Logiduice has stated many times in the "Dedicated Systems" part of this forum, part of why AtGames mini-consoles are so inexpensive is because of retailer demands to keep things cheap. The mini-consoles from Nintendo and Sony were helpful in raising the pricing ceiling, but even with the PlayStation Classic marked at $99, they're still much more like toy pricing than "Atari VCS" which starts at $239. The Atari name got them 4 million 3 million dollars from those who failed to think, but I doubt that would happen at retail.

I agree that it's pretty easy homework. Look at how PlayStation Classic, a system with a lot of genuine anticipation, tanked at retail. The internet has been absolutely savage in its criticism of AtGames toys. I can only imagine how rough the critics will be with "Atari VCS." Their best hope is to be ignored, a "cult classic" enjoyed by those who already sunk money into it.

If anything, the VCS will be a curious piece of Atari's history, and probably forgotten. Not sure how desirable it will be by collectors. The casing is probably going to be the most incentive one has to collect it.

Now on the flipside, Sega is making their own mini console, and that is actually getting released! I'm freaking excited. X3

• Like 2

The Ataribox is a footnote, like CommdoreUSA's C64x or the small airlines which adopted the Pan Am name. It'll be forgotten; if it's even released no one'll remember it. Eventually some one'll buy one used & have to come here to find out what it was. And we'll all laugh.

https://www.itproportal.com/2011/04/06/iconic-commodore-64-all-set-comeback/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_Airways_(19982004)

Edited by pacman000

The Ataribox is a footnote, like CommdoreUSA's C64x or the small airlines which adopted the Pan Am name. It'll be forgotten; if it's even released no one'll remember it. Eventually some one'll buy one used & have to come here to find out what it was. And we'll all laugh.

https://www.itproportal.com/2011/04/06/iconic-commodore-64-all-set-comeback/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_Airways_(19982004)

4f282a59c921d7a2df41d11f4e225caa.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In order to sell at retail, Atari would need to commit to producing far more units than their pre-orders. I'm thinking a minimum of another 10,000.

It'd need to be way more then 10,000.

Walmart has over 4000 stores in the US

Target around 1800

Best Buy around 1000

GameStop over 4000

Add in Amazon, and the websites for those 4 brick and mortar retail chains, and 10000 isnt even close to enough for those 5 stores alone.

• Like 4

Atari can open an Ebay store and sell 10,000 units direct and see if there is a big market, as for warranty... they better hold back a few.

Now, what is this about a "Ribbed" ||||||||| design? I think studded :::::::

might be more pleasurable, or just do both to please the crowd | : | : | : | : |

I'm talking about the console people get your minds out of the gutter.

On the campaign page, under "why do I have to wait longer than usual?"

Nothing about this has ever added up. The "ribbed" design was obviously a nonstarter from day 1. Why would they tool 16 pieces instead of 2, for zero practical benefit? It's also plain to see that there's no room for anything inside with that design. It only made sense for the presentations of the empty box prior to the arrival of their hardware savior, Rob "hands down pants"...

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1

It'd need to be way more then 10,000.

Walmart has over 4000 stores in the US

Target around 1800

Best Buy around 1000

GameStop over 4000

Add in Amazon, and the websites for those 4 brick and mortar retail chains, and 10000 isnt even close to enough for those 5 stores alone.

Part of my thought process was that there was no way all four of those chains would be stupid enough to stock Atariboxen.

• Like 5

When these goobers went to the first fabricator, they choked back laughter and told them how to actually build a plastic project box. Their first idiotic 3D render and associated sketches of their delusion of grandeur was never going to be built. The fabricator told them how much it costs per piece and per mold. They also told them how making multiple versions of anything like different colored lights adds cost. Like every update before it, this one just reconfirmed they have made zero progress. If the plastic box is ever made, it will be the equivalent of another plastic enclosure for a standard board like any of a hundred RPi boxes. The funny thing is, if the plastic case gets made, those collector editions will end up with a wood laminate sticker on the regular version for their special edition. The only thing they have going for them is the fact that the thing is a basic geometric shape that can have a mold cut from CNC router. I'm still surprised some handyman hasn't already produced it themselves just for S&Gs.

• Like 8

The only reason I'm sort of being quiet about this is that I want to make sure my plan works since they do have time to dispute this. The thing is it would be nice to find a way to get this information out there without trying to post it to the IGG page. Rainfactory will just delete it or IGG would get wise to what happened.

^THIS!

I'm not trying to be a bearer of bad news. This might have gone swimmingly! I hope so. And time will tell.

I'd also honestly like to think better of nutari and IGG;

But I, Myself, have had a BAD experience lately with buying something online. (I hate to admit I was so stupid, but this may help others sooooo...) I think mine was mostly a bait and switch type tactic, where you appear to be buying into a trial offer, (It's FREE! Just pay shipping. If you like the product, buy more at regular prices!) with terms of service hidden or nonexistent,...But after they have your info, they charge a ton, and then sign you up for a subscription, claiming (falsely) that you've signed up for it. Suddenly they have a Terms of Service that you can read! Then they send you more stuff you don't want (In this case vitamin supplements)...Still charging you even more! At this point, you have to simply send back anything (unused) they've sent you, and send emails cancelling their bogus "subscriptions"...But they will never tell you that's how it works.

I ended up sending back what I thought was mine for the price of shipping...But I had to document it all, Including pictures of the tracking numbers, the RAs, even the shipping labels etc., Then 2-3 Hours worth of phone calls to my credit card company, plus the "merchant", and emails to the merchant (keep them all as proof too)....And this despicable scam company tried to charge me for things I'd sent back...6 times!

Thanks to being tenacious, I am finally victorious over these Assholes! But it took a long fight; One that used to be a simple phone call to the credit card company...Remember the old days when they were on your side? Even though they eventually did the right thing, after I "proved" my case with lots of visual evidence...I'm likely cancelling that card (let's just say it begins with a D)...

My advice is to never buy anything online unless it's a trusted retailer like ebay or Amazon, where you have some recourse, or someone you've done business with in the past...

As far as your specific case, I hope all goes well. But you are right to be cautious. Don't do your victory dance until you know for sure.

• Like 2

The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round ...

The original case was produced by an industrial designer at Sonos, as a favor.

-Thom

Nice reminder! I see by a quick search of this thread that Curt Vendel also said as much. I'm glad you remembered.

It reminded me I spotted something odd, ages ago, in the AtariVCS introduction video: Dana Krieger ("Industrial Design") and Brandon Lynne ("User Experience Design") currently work at SONOS, while Joe Moak's beard ("Mechanical Engineering") worked there until 2015.

For fun, pay attention to Joe Moak speaking at 2:10 about the thought put into design and manufacturability of the AVCS. Then remember the latest Medium update basically negates everything he claimed.

Transcribed for your reading pleasure:

"We feel strongly that a product like this deserves a little more thought; a little more effort; a little more heart. By solving for design intent, manufacturability, thermals; designed for assembly. All at the same time."

tenor.gif

• Like 6

The original plastic slug was almost certainly a photopolymer 3D print. They would have printed it in layers to keep the smooth clean edges, and that's why it was always an empty slug to show off and nothing more. If they actually show a new design model, I wonder if it will be plastic filament printed. I bet the so-called classic controller is layered the same way to have a finished looking print out. So it's similarly non-functional. No matter what they do next, getting to the point of actually being able to mold a custom plastic shell will be the make or break point. That's where countless dreamers have failed miserably. They really should be working with AtGames who are actually experienced at making cases.

• Like 1

Now, what is this about a "Ribbed" ||||||||| design? I think studded :::::::

might be more pleasurable, or just do both to please the crowd | : | : | : | : |

I'm talking about the console people get your minds out of the gutter.

post-144-0-95018100-1554071350_thumb.jpg

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2

The Ataribox is a footnote, like CommdoreUSA's C64x

One of the differences might be that Commodore USA kinda-sorta functioned as a company until the CEO unfortunately died and nobody else in the company seemed to know, care or be skilled in keeping the company running so it all collapsed. Within Ataribox LLC, it is hard to tell who is still alive.

• Like 2