IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

That happened in 1984 and was known as Atari Games, later Atari Games West, and Midway. Not the same company at all, as you know. Probably only needs a mention when someone says they want Paperboy or Marble Madness

That's kinda my point; if Atari Inc. was split up in the 80's (into Atari Games & Atari Corp) you can't really say Atari died till both companies were shut down, since both companies were legitimate successors to the original Atari with some of the same staff working in the same markets they handled when they were one company.

You can say Atari Corp died in 1996, & you can say Atari stopped making regular consumer goods in 1996, but to say Atari died in 1996 goes too far; it ignores half of the legacy.

post-12607-0-43896200-1554569963_thumb.jpgpost-12607-0-19141000-1554569991_thumb.jpgpost-12607-0-52926300-1554570012_thumb.jpg

Working on a homemade DIY control panel for my arcade 1up retropie dream machine. D-A-N are my high score initials. I'm especially pleased with K.C.Munchkin being attacked by space invaders. Hope Nutari doesn't sue me for the giant middle finger fuji logo...

• Like 8

The part of Atari that asshat Fred and friends bought died in 1996. The other bits live forever in the moist armpit of Warner Media. Does that work for you?

Some of us would say that Atari Games was the "real" Atari anyway.

The coin side is where the company started. Consumer side was the usurper.

• Like 5

Only if you just stepped out of a time warp. Atari died in 1996. Hasbro was mostly OK to the legacy. Everything since has been grave robbing, corpse desecration, cannibalism, and necrophilia.

Let me rephrase...

Is it time to put a bullet in the cerebral cortex of Zombatari?

• Like 1

Some of us would say that Atari Games was the "real" Atari anyway.

The coin side is where the company started. Consumer side was the usurper.

1996 for console Atari

2001 for coin-op Atari.

I hate it when I come across a Gauntlet Dark Legacy that had the Fuji logo covered up with a Midway one for the "Midway Games West" joke it served for that one game.

I haven't seen a proper old-style arcade cabinet in many, many years -- just the "class of 1981" rerelease type stuff. If you run into Gauntlet Dark Legacy I am somewhat envious.

I own a G:DL, although it's currently residing in a break room that I operate some games at; otherwise, I am around proper old-style cabs every day :P

As for the Atari logo on brand new arcade machines, Centipede Chaos is launching in June. It does have an amusement mode (so you don't have to play for tickets), and the gameplay is fun, even though it's different from the original in several aspects (no trackball, multiplayer, each wave is different, the spider behaves very differently, there are boss battles). CC is being developed by Play Mechanix, who is made up of ex-Midway arcade staffers. I wouldn't mind them doing a smaller cabinet for this:

• Like 5

My Benjamin Button theory still holds true. When the Ataribox campaign was cancelled, they claimed "one key element" was holding them back. Their videos implied it was a working console, they had an actual joystick prototype; they had a physical shell.

We've known for a while that they had no working console, but the recent CPU upgrade is likely a software setback. They're redesigning the joystick to also work as a paddle. And now they have no physical shell thanks to the redesign.

Not to mention Tempest 4000 went from being said as working on the Ataribox to our quickly finding out it couldn't even run on any version of Linux.

These recent Tempest-related posts gave me an epiphany; AtariVCS is the Benjamin Button of the console world:

Though Ataribox was clearly in a development phase, the newly-named AtariVCS started mature and able to play Tempest 4000 and mom-friendly Netflix. Then it was reduced to a prototype status and "illustration purposes" videos for the IGG campaign. Then during the summit we find they're using a development board that's far too big for their shell, but it plays Atari Vault games. With the latest update, we find its OS can only boot to a cube.

"[The Curious Case of Benjamin Button] tells the story of Benjamin Button, a man who starts aging backwards with bizarre consequences."

Now I really can't wait for the next update, where we the Underwear Gnomes explain their business plan.

Okay so maybe I was wrong about the Underwear Gnomes--but the year's not over yet.

• Like 8

Pat & Ian deliver a pretty good summary of the shitshow that has been, and still is, Ataribollocks development, with particular emphasis on how Atari SA has essentially let slip that they never had an actual prototype. Sometimes they use Naughty Words!

• Like 4

I was right after all ?

Not really surprised, I kinda had the feeling that they we're pumping themselves up for someone to swoop in to buy them up, for pennies on the dollar.

This will be what, the 3rd death of Atari ?

Or 4th Or 5th Death ?

I lost count ;-)

Sure seems like they're bending over backwards to be taken as a legitimate company while continuing to be anything but. They look desperate to earn funds through stock sales or buyout. Problem is, they've been available over the counter for a long time and nobody cares. Trying to flash the name up on more visible stock exchange programs isn't going to make people go, "Hey, I need to buy me some of that worthless stock." The suckers tripping over themselves to throw money away on their crowd funded box because of the whored out brand name don't have that money to lose. They sure as hell aren't buying stock at any volume that it would matter. It's no wonder their other brilliant business ventures are gambling and bit coin. Do we see a pattern here?

IF you wanna watch your money evaporate into nothing, you can buy an Infotaragams Bawks or buy AtariSA/Pong stock. These bits are a real hoot...

Foreign Exchange Risk

The parent company is responsible for risk management according to the context of the financial markets and the procedures established by management. Foreign exchange transactions are carried out according to local laws and access to the financial markets. Subsidiaries may enter into contracts directly with local banks under the supervision of the parent company and in accordance with the Group’s procedures and policies.

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH POTENTIAL DILUTION

The Company has in the past, and may in the future, sell and issue additional equity securities (or securities convertible to equity securities) to finance operations, exploration, development, acquisitions or other projects. The Company cannot predict the size of future issuances of securities or the effect, if any, that such future sale and issuances will have on the market price of the shares or the SDRs. Any transaction involving the issuance of previously authorized but unissued shares, or securities convertible into shares or SDRs, would result in dilution, possibly substantial, to shareholders or holders of SDRs. Exercises of presently outstanding stock options may also result in dilution to shareholders. Therefore, the Company’s shareholders and holders of SDRs bear the risk for any future new share issuance that may reduce the price of the Company shares or SDRs and/or dilute their holdings in the Company.

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH LICENSING

The RollerCoaster Tycoon license accounted for approximately 50% of revenue in 2017/2018 and expires in 2022 given the renewal obtained in May 2017. In any case, the Group is working to launch new franchises. At this stage, the Group considers that the loss of a license (by non-renewal or termination of contract) such as RollerCoaster Tycoon could, on its own, have a significant impact on its business or result.

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOSS OF THE BRAND

The ATARI brand is a synonym for video games worldwide, in all languages, it enjoys an incredible reputation, and is in and of itself the Group’s most important intellectual property asset. As such, it is relatively coveted by other market operators who may be able to express their interest in an acquisition for a transfer price that may be essential for the Group’s development. A loss of the brand would result in (i) a need for change of corporate name for the company, (ii) a significant loss of reputation that may have materially impact on the commercial activity, (iii) and a substantial reduction in the Group’s value.

Risk Related to the Marketplace

The SDRs have been approved for listing on First North. First North is an MTF, which is an alternative marketplace, operated by the several exchanges within the Nasdaq group. Companies whose financial instruments are traded on First North are covered by a less extensive regulatory framework than companies that are traded on main market of Nasdaq Stockholm. Holders of SDRs may suffer actual or perceived prejudice to the extent the Company takes advantage of the increased flexibility that is allowed through a listing on First North. It is possible that the market for the SDRs will be subject to disruptions, and any such disruption may have a negative effect on investors, regardless of the Group’s prospects and financial performance. An investment in the Company’s SDRs therefore carries a higher degree of risk than an investment in a company listed on a regulated market.

Risk Related to Future Offerings of Securities

In the future, the Company may seek to raise capital through offerings of debt securities (potentially including convertible debt securities) or additional equity securities. An issuance of additional equity securities or securities with rights to convert into equity could reduce the market price of the SDRs and would dilute the economic and voting rights of existing holders of SDRs if made without granting subscription rights to existing holders. Because the timing and nature of any future offering will depend on market conditions at the time of such an offering, the Company cannot predict or estimate the amount, timing or nature of any future offering. Thus, holders of the SDRs bear the risk of any future offerings reducing the market price of the SDRs and/or diluting their holdings in the Company.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 7

If you're tired but unable to fall asleep, today Atari posted their Company Description--NASDAQ First North.

Pages 5-11 are what they list as risks.

What's not clear to me in any of this is why they're listing their stock on an exchange in Sweden - a non-Eurozone country - when they're headquartered in France, which is a Eurozone country. At least on the surface, that seems like a good way to complicate fund transfers and stock availability.

There has to be a reason for this, but damned if I can figure out what it is other than Atari SA possibly seeking to sidestep French regulations on stock sale, acquisition, and/or ownership.

(UPDATE: I found out why they're doing this; details in next post.)

Read through the risks section in full. Some notes on that:

P.5, 1 and 2 are standard preamble regarding the risks of investing; nothing much to see here.

Under 'Financial Risks' on p.5, ¶ 3 is also fairly standard. So is ¶ 4, but it has some interesting wording (emphasis below mine):

There is a risk that the Company, due to insufficient cash and cash equivalents, cannot meet its payment obligations as they become due, or that the Company can only meet its payment obligations on terms unfavourable to the Company. An inability to maintain adequate liquidity may force the Company to put the Company into debt, possibly at a higher interest rate, which may adversely impact the Company’s operations and ability to obtain further capital and financing. Failure to maintain adequate cash flow and capital in the future may have a material adverse effect on the Company’s results of operations, earnings and financial position.

The above almost sounds as though this is being written to be able to say, "we told you so" in 18 to 24 months when the company collapse starts showing up on the horizon. One reason why I think there's a very real chance of that happening can be found on p.5, ¶ 6, under "Risks Associated With The Company's Accounts":

The parent company is responsible for risk management according to the context of the financial markets and the procedures established by management. Foreign exchange transactions are carried out according to local laws and access to the financial markets. Subsidiaries may enter into contracts directly with local banks under the supervision of the parent company and in accordance with the Group’s procedures and policies."

In other words, 'we can't maintain actual business offices in multiple territories in which we want to do business, so all the funds flow back to France and are subject to the whims of the currency exchange markets.' This makes the entire company (rather than extraterritorial offices) vulnerable to, say, a Euro devaluation, inflation in the Eurozone or outside, or an economic recession in their key markets.

This is also standard stuff - but it does point out that Atari SA simply does not operate on a scale that lets them weather global financial upsets in a way that does not leave the company vulnerable to variations in currency markets, or indeed to internal economic issues within the markets they want to sell into.

Moving ahead to p.6, ¶ 4, we get to what's probably the biggest problem facing the company:

The Roller Coaster Tycoon license accounted for approximately 50% of revenue in 2017/2018 and expires in 2022 given the renewal obtained in May 2017. In any case, the Group is working to launch new franchises. At this stage, the Group considers that the loss of a license (by non-renewal or termination of contract) such as Roller Coaster Tycoon could, on its own, have a significant impact on its business or result. In addition, the simultaneous loss of several licenses could significantly affect the Group’s financial position, business, or result, since such losses would not be offset by new licenses having the same economic impact.

Essentially, the majority of their revenue stream is one product - which has not been a huge success by any means - the licensing of which is set to expire in three years. Atari SA admits that this could be catastrophic for them (their use of the term 'significant impact' is really understatement at its finest), and that they basically have nothing to fall back on if this happens.

This is as much depth as I feel like going into for this morning. One thing I will note, however, is that nowhere in the risks section of the document is anything even tangentally-related to the Ataribollocks mentioned. This is particularly interesting when one reads the sections, "Risks Related to New platforms" on p.7 and "Risks Associated With New Business Sectors" on p.10.

Oh, and I'll leave everyone with this gem from, "Risks Related to the Marketplace" on p.10:

The SDRshave been approved for listing on First North. First North is an MTF, which is an alternative marketplace, operated by the several exchanges within the Nasdaq group. Companies whose financial instruments are traded on First North are covered by a less extensive regulatory framework than companies that are traded on main market of Nasdaq Stockholm. Holders of SDRs may suffer actual or perceived prejudice to the extent the Company takes advantage of the increased flexibility that is allowed through a listing on First North. It is possible that the market for the SDRs will be subject to disruptions, and any such disruption may have a negative effect on investors, regardless of the Group’s prospects and financial performance. An investment in the Company’s SDRs therefore carries a higher degree of risk than an investment in a company listed on a regulated market. Although the SDRs have been approved for trading on First North, it is possible that the SDRs will not remain listed or that future success and liquidity in the market will not be achieved. Although no assurances can be made as to the liquidity of the SDRs as a result of admission to trading on First North, delisting of the SDRs from First North may have a material effect on an investor’s ability to resell the SDRs in the secondary market."

In other words, "we know our stock is junk, so we're moving it to the Indiegogo of stock markets; good luck, suckers." Guess I just answered my own earlier question re: why they moved onto a particular exchange; it's because they can get away with peddling crap to people who don't know how to evaluate risk.

• Like 9

The VCS didn't get much mention but I did see they mentioned that the Speaker Hat was moved into the VCS department. Why those two products now have the same employees is beyond me. Unless that department is the catch-all for crap and vapor.

• Like 6

If you're tired but unable to fall asleep, today Atari posted their Company Description--NASDAQ First North.

Pages 5-11 are what they list as risks.

Oooh, a roadmap to the end of Atari*! I like it.

giphy.gif

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH LICENSING

The RollerCoaster Tycoon license accounted for approximately 50% of revenue in 2017/2018 and expires in 2022 given the renewal obtained in May 2017. In any case, the Group is working to launch new franchises. At this stage, the Group considers that the loss of a license (by non-renewal or termination of contract) such as RollerCoaster Tycoon could, on its own, have a significant impact on its business or result. In addition, the simultaneous loss of several licenses could significantly affectthe Group’s financial position, business, or result, since such losses would not be offset by new licenses having the same economic impact.

giphy.gif

Risk of a Change of Business Model

Atari is evolving towards a new business model centered on mobile and online games promoting theAtari brand and Atari’s intellectual property, rather than games sold in boxes in supermarkets or viaspecialized networks. Atari derives most of its revenue from the mobile gaming activities of Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android platforms, and if Atari is unable to maintain good relationships with these two companies, or if Apple’s App Store, Google’s Play Store, or Amazon’s App Store are unavailablefor a significant period of time, it could have a significant impact on Atari’s business.

In order to increase the revenue generated by digital activities, Atari needs to increase the number of users playing its games and keep them longer for more efficient monetization. To attract and retain players, Atari must allocate its creative and development resources to the creation ofcaptivating content. One of the challenges of the freemium business model is to gain users’ loyalty after initial game downloads, and Atari may not be able to increase the average play time of its players. If Atari fails to increase the number of active users, if the rates at which it attracts and retains players do not increase, or if the average amount spent by players declines, it could have anegative impact on the Company’s profitability.

In addition, users’ preferences are constantly changing and are often unpredictable. Sales could suffer if Atari fails to develop and publish new digital games accepted by the market or if Atari fails to direct users’ interest to its games rather than to other forms of entertainment to which consumers have access.

giphy.gif

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH HUMAN RESOURCES

Risk Related to the Departure of Key Personnel

The business is dependent on key personnel as it is a knowledge-intensive company. In the event of the departure of key personnel, the Group may encounter difficulties in replacing them and its activities may be slowed down Similarly, its financial position, results, or ability to achieve its objectives could be affected and this could have negative consequences on the Company’s businessand operating results.

giphy.gif

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH EQUITY PARTICIPATIONS

As part of its licensing business, the Group may receive unlisted securities in consideration for a brand and/or gaming license. Given their lack of liquidity, these securities are more difficult to value and dispose than listed shares. Their value is also more sensitive to significant and rapid variations, as these companies are generally start-ups operating in high-growth industries and are most often in the fundraising phase. The risk of default or impairment of these investments is accordingly higher, given their characteristics.

giphy.gif

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH NEW BUSINESS SECTORS

The Group is further expanding into new activities, including online casino games, multimedia production and blockchain projects. Insofar as possible, the Group seeks to grow via partnerships in order to accelerate its acquisition of expertise and to share the risks involved. Nevertheless, these new business lines, which differ from the video game sector, entail a higher level of risk for the Group insofar as it is necessary to acquire new expertise and build strong positions in a new sector, which could lead to higher losses in the early stages of an investment. Growth in these new sectors requires a particular analysis of revenue potential and the contractual risk taken on, and there is a risk that, during the start-up phase, such projections by the Group will not be as accurate as desired.

giphy.gif

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ACHIEVEMENT OF OBJECTIVES

The Group may fail to achieve set objectives, of the operating budget and the financing plan. The valuation of Group assetsin particular where it concerns capitalized productions (games, TV shows) or investmentsand liabilities may be affected where such assumptions fail to materialize.

giphy.gif

To sum up:

1. Most of Atari*'s eggs are in the RollerCoaster Tycoon basket, and their license expires in a few years, after which, Atari* is fscked.

2. Another major spot for them is the mobile app store, which could squeeze them in new and amusing ways, assuming the bottom doesn't fall out of the market for low quality free-to-play apps, in which case, Atari* is fscked.

3. They only have a few people onboard to begin with, and if more of them pull a Shallbetter and decide they shall find better jobs elsewhere, Atari* is fscked, only more so.

4. Since Atari* never puts any money up front, their would-be partners might get wise to them, in which case, Atari* is fscked. See also: AtariBox.

5. Atari* doesn't know what it's doing in casino, blockchain, or gameshow licensing, and may well fsck themselves.

6. Atari*'s assets, largely consisting of primitive/obsolete video games from forty years ago, might not be as interesting to the public as previously thought, fscking the company just like back in the days of disco.

What's not clear to me in any of this is why they're listing their stock on an exchange in Sweden - a non-Eurozone country - when they're headquartered in France, which is a Eurozone country. At least on the surface, that seems like a good way to complicate fund transfers and stock availability.

There has to be a reason for this, but damned if I can figure out what it is other than Atari SA possibly seeking to sidestep French regulations on stock sale, acquisition, and/or ownership.

Agreed, this is unconvincing:

Through the Listing, Atari wants to increase its recognition and brand awareness in the Swedish and Scandinavian investor landscape, which comprises experienced investors with an understanding for gaming companies.

Though they haven't gone there so far. Maybe there's a rich Swede out there just waiting to invest in Atari*. :lol:

giphy.gif

Remember, "Atari*. So much more than video games."

This division today represents the largest source of revenue (EUR 15.0 million in FY 2017/18 or 83.7% of Group revenue).

Maybe someone saw this tweet, 4 years later?

post-2410-0-63533400-1554740498_thumb.png

Atari VCS (“Reinventing the way you game again”)

This division’s primary objective is to launch and distribute the new Atari multimedia home console(VCS Video Computer System) and to integrate a large content offering available online to attract the largest number of users. By extension this division is also in charge of projects like the Speaker Hat and other connected objects in development stage.

The Indiegogo crowd-funding campaign for the Atari VCS was launched in May 2018 and resulted in more than 10,000 units pre-ordered for a total of US$3 million. The Atari VC will be released in 2019 for a suggested retail price of US$249/US$299 depending on the configuration.

The division did not have any meaningful revenues in FY 2017/18 and is expected to contribute starting in FY 2019/2020.

:lolblue::lolblue: "expected to contribute" :lolblue::lolblue: :lolblue: starting in 2019 :lolblue::lolblue: :lolblue::lolblue:

As for their business model? Doesn't seem like they're adding much value that you or I could perform for free:

Atari’s business model for games is that of an executive producer. Atari owns the rights (directly or through an exclusive license) to the intellectual properties and partners with third-party development studios for the production of the game. Atari does not develop any games in-house and does not own any development studios itself. Atari then takes delivery of the finished games and publishes the game itself.

Wouldn't Fred prefer an early retirement to this scenario?

ARTICLE 25 - DISSOLUTION

1 – Shareholders’ equity less than one-half of stated capital

If, as a result of losses recorded in the financial statements, the shareholders’ equity in the companyfalls below one-half of stated capital, the board of directors is required within four months followingapproval of the financial statements reflecting said losses to call a special shareholders’ meeting tovote on the early dissolution of the company.

If a decision is not made to dissolve the company, the company is required no later than the end of the second fiscal year following the year in which the losses were recorded, to reduce its stated capital by an amount no less than the amount of those losses which could not be set off by reserves if, within that time period, shareholders’ equity has not been built back up to at least one-half of stated capital.

In all cases, the decision of the meeting is published in accordance with the regulations in force.

2 - End of the life of the company as provided for by the articles of incorporation and bylaws

At least one year before the end of the life of the company, the board of directors shall call a special meeting of the shareholders of the company in order to decide whether the life of the company should be extended. If the board fails to call said meeting, any shareholder, after having given formal notice which went unheeded, may apply to the chief judge of the commercial court to appoint a representative to call the meeting.

3 - Early dissolution

A special shareholders’ meeting may dissolve the company in advance at any time.

ARTICLE 26 - LIQUIDATION

Special shareholders’ meetings determine the method of liquidation, appoint the liquidator orliquidators, and fix their duties and compensation. Said appointment terminates the appointments of the directors and auditors.

Subject to the applicable legal restrictions, the liquidators have the broadest powers to dispose of all of the assets of the company and discharge its liabilities, including by private agreement. By virtue of a resolution of the special shareholders’ meeting, they may transfer or agree to the sale of all of the property, rights and obligations of the dissolved company.

Following discharge of the company’s liabilities, the net proceeds of liquidation are used to reimburse the unredeemed, paid up principal amount of the shares; the balance is distributed among the shareholders, in cash or in securities.

In addition, the instrument appointing the liquidators is published in the BALO. The same applies to the notice of the close of liquidation and any decision to distribute funds.

*Not the real Atari, but the shitty wannabe

• Like 8

Oooh, a roadmap to the end of Atari*! I like it.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

To sum up:

1. Most of Atari*'s eggs are in the RollerCoaster Tycoon basket, and their license expires in a few years, after which, Atari* is fscked.

2. Another major spot for them is the mobile app store, which could squeeze them in new and amusing ways, assuming the bottom doesn't fall out of the market for low quality free-to-play apps, in which case, Atari* is fscked.

3. They only have a few people onboard to begin with, and if more of them pull a Shallbetter and decide they shall find better jobs elsewhere, Atari* is fscked, only more so.

4. Since Atari* never puts any money up front, their would-be partners might get wise to them, in which case, Atari* is fscked. See also: AtariBox.

5. Atari* doesn't know what it's doing in casino, blockchain, or gameshow licensing, and may well fsck themselves.

6. Atari*'s assets, largely consisting of primitive/obsolete video games from forty years ago, might not be as interesting to the public as previously thought, fscking the company just like back in the days of disco.

Agreed, this is unconvincing:

Though they haven't gone there so far. Maybe there's a rich Swede out there just waiting to invest in Atari*. :lol:

giphy.gif

Remember, "Atari*. So much more than video games."

Maybe someone saw this tweet, 4 years later?

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 12.21.13 PM.png

:lolblue::lolblue: "expected to contribute" :lolblue::lolblue: :lolblue: starting in 2019 :lolblue::lolblue: :lolblue::lolblue:

As for their business model? Doesn't seem like they're adding much value that you or I could perform for free:

Wouldn't Fred prefer an early retirement to this scenario?

*Not the real Atari, but the shitty wannabe

You're forgetting, though... they really want this to happen.
  • Like 7