IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA

I have to deal with things like the Payment Card Security Standards in a professional capacity. There is absolutely no way in hell that I would want one of these devices (or one designed by Atari SA) connected to any sort of network used for processing financial transactions.

Atari SA is a company that can't put together an x86/x64-based emulation box in the space of a year-and-a-half. As a result, my confidence in their ability to design a secure POS terminal is nil - they wouldn't understand the engineering challenges from physical item to software that that presents, nor would they understand the risks, liabilities, and/or impacts of being out of compliance with PCI standards for merchants, consumers, or their own company.

These people are total assclowns. One of the last things I would want to entrust them (or their products) with is my personal financial data.

joke missed?

post-2410-0-85664300-1555501378_thumb.jpeg

Sure, Atari* will eventually have a few digital games in its digital store. Will they be much different from what's available on digital stores that have a ton of choices? Somehow I doubt it.

What's with Alec's obsession with making this POS (Piece Of Shit) into a POS (Point Of Sale)? Wouldn't an established, proven vendor be a better choice for that? This isn't the only small computer out there.

Oh, I see Alec was only joking. You're as funny as Rob Wyatt and as clear a communicator as Mike Arzt!

• Like 6

I have been removed as a contributor, founder, investor on the IGG page. I can no longer comment or see what the pigeon total is now. Bittersweet moment. It is all up to Lodmot now.

My condolences.

• Like 6

What the hell is a "Point of Sale" system? I've never even heard of that.

Cash registers, card readers, barcode scanners, cheque scanners, receipt printers - basically, pretty much anything that is part of a system used to ring up a sale and process the transaction. It's the standard collective term.

• Like 3

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA

I have to deal with things like the Payment Card Security Standards in a professional capacity. There is absolutely no way in hell that I would want one of these devices (or one designed by Atari SA) connected to any sort of network used for processing financial transactions.

Atari SA is a company that can't put together an x86/x64-based emulation box in the space of a year-and-a-half. As a result, my confidence in their ability to design a secure POS terminal is nil - they wouldn't understand the engineering challenges from physical item to software that that presents, nor would they understand the risks, liabilities, and/or impacts of being out of compliance with PCI standards for merchants, consumers, or their own company.

These people are total assclowns. One of the last things I would want to entrust them (or their products) with is my personal financial data.

To be fair to Atari, a giant like Sony can't figure it out either, which is why I buy gift cards through Amazon to purchase things on the Playstation Network. Assholes require you to save your CC information on their servers that have been historically bad at security.

Hopefully if this thing ever gets made and they do have a digital store with anything worth purchasing, they'd allow some sort of gift card / redeemable codes as well.

To be fair to Atari, a giant like Sony can't figure it out either, which is why I buy gift cards through Amazon to purchase things on the Playstation Network. Assholes require you to save your CC information on their servers that have been historically bad at security.

Amazon has their own history with data breaches such as this one before Black Friday, 2018. And that great idea about using Amazon Key to let their delivery drivers enter your home to drop off packages? Yeah, that's not as great as it sounds, as it turns out.

The reality is that any company with an online presence is vulnerable to attack and exploitation. While I'm far from defending Sony's track record by saying that, what happened to them can be considered symptomatic of much wider-ranging issues affecting (to one extent or another) every online retailer and service provider.

However, you do correctly identify one way to protect your financial transactions: using only services and retailers that you trust. In each case, it's up to the individual to evaluate that trust and decide if they should or should not do business with a particular company. In my case, should the hypothetical Atari SA POS move into the real world, I wouldn't let my cards or cash near one simply because I don't trust or have faith in that company.

Also, consider for a moment that your payment is being handled by payment processors on the backend who are - usually - not directly-connected with the entity accepting payment; the payment processors are effectively service providers that you do not directly interact with. What's to say that their security is up to snuff? We hope that it is, but the reality is that it's out of our control.

Then again, we live in a world where Equifax can expose the personal information of 150 million people and face next to no consequences; they're still processing credit checks and scoring for millions upon millions of people. Trust, in cases like this, really doesn't count for much.

• Like 4

Amazon has their own history with data breaches such as this one before Black Friday, 2018. And that great idea about using Amazon Key to let their delivery drivers enter your home to drop off packages? Yeah, that's not as great as it sounds, as it turns out.

The reality is that any company with an online presence is vulnerable to attack and exploitation. While I'm far from defending Sony's track record by saying that, what happened to them can be considered symptomatic of much wider-ranging issues affecting (to one extent or another) every online retailer and service provider.

However, you do correctly identify one way to protect your financial transactions: using only services and retailers that you trust. In each case, it's up to the individual to evaluate that trust and decide if they should or should not do business with a particular company. In my case, should the hypothetical Atari SA POS move into the real world, I wouldn't let my cards or cash near one simply because I don't trust or have faith in that company.

Yeah, I remember that on Amazon. Also the Key thing, not sure how they ever thought that was a great idea, unless you have a secondary set of security or something... I just don't like how Sony requires you to save your CC information. Amazon has their own card, so it's kind of hard for them not to. Steam has a 'don't save your credentials' option which I always check.

Agreed about Atari SA securing a PoS well enough to trust. The Sony one was shown to be using ancient versions of Apache and a bunch of other things.

• Like 4

I like how AMD releases more information about the processor specifics Atari has chosen to use than even Atari themselves are willing to admit...

• Like 8

JUST GOT THIS IN MY EMAIL

Hello Backers!

In case you missed it: AMD has now officially announced its new Ryzen™ Embedded R1000 SoC in a press release on April 16th, 2019. They proudly mention the Atari VCS partnership and included the following quote from Atari:

“With the AMD Ryzen Embedded R1000 powering the Atari VCS, we can support the 4K 60fps HDR content that users expect from a modern, secure gaming and entertainment system.” said Michael Arzt, COO of Atari Connected Devices. “AMD’s new Ryzen Embedded SoC will also help protect the VCS’ environment and content as we support an unprecedented open-access model that allows Atari’s highly-creative community to install any other operating system side by side with the Atari OS.”

You can also check out AMD’s Ryzen Embedded R1000 release trailer here.

Below are the specs straight from AMD:

We are thrilled to be among the first companies to utilize this exciting new AMD product. We are also honored to be partnered with AMD and incredibly pleased with how well everything is proceeding with the Atari VCS project thanks to their assistance.

The team really appreciated all the great feedback regarding the updated design of the Atari VCS after our last update! Stay-tuned for a deep-dive into all the details of the final Classic Joystick and Modern Controller designs in our next Medium blog coming soon.

Thanks again!

— The Atari VCS Team

post-67682-0-93015900-1555531923.png

• Like 3

JUST GOT THIS IN MY EMAIL

Hello Backers!

In case you missed it: AMD has now officially announced its new Ryzen™ Embedded R1000 SoC in a press release on April 16th, 2019. They proudly mention the Atari VCS partnership and included the following quote from Atari:

“With the AMD Ryzen Embedded R1000 powering the Atari VCS, we can support the 4K 60fps HDR content that users expect from a modern, secure gaming and entertainment system.” said Michael Arzt, COO of Atari Connected Devices. “AMD’s new Ryzen Embedded SoC will also help protect the VCS’ environment and content as we support an unprecedented open-access model that allows Atari’s highly-creative community to install any other operating system side by side with the Atari OS.”

You can also check out AMD’s Ryzen Embedded R1000 release trailer here.

Below are the specs straight from AMD:

We are thrilled to be among the first companies to utilize this exciting new AMD product. We are also honored to be partnered with AMD and incredibly pleased with how well everything is proceeding with the Atari VCS project thanks to their assistance.

The team really appreciated all the great feedback regarding the updated design of the Atari VCS after our last update! Stay-tuned for a deep-dive into all the details of the final Classic Joystick and Modern Controller designs in our next Medium blog coming soon.

Thanks again!

— The Atari VCS Team

I bet Netflix Moms everywhere were overjoyed by this announcement.

• Like 2

I just bothered to actually read it and I like how they mention the final design for the controllers. Like shouldn't those be done already? Or did they have to upgrade the chips in those also??? The problem with the more updates is that more isn't better if nothing of consequence is revealed. These updates are terrible and clearly show they are so far behind that they should have told people this information late last year. There is no way they didn't realize how badly behind this project is. Glad I got my money back and I can just watch this train wreck unfold from the sidelines.

• Like 3

Well I will admit, they've been releasing more updates.......

Would be nice if they released video blogs though like I had been suggesting. xP

Updates which only confirm they still have nothing tangible done. That isn't really the type of update people are looking for.

• Like 2