IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

good grief.

dont forget light gun support!

What, no love for the Koala Pad? GET ON THAT STAT, ATARI SA!

I love how all of these people are clamouring for <insert game here> to appear on the Ataribollocks when those games aren't titles that Atari SA owns the rights to.

Go bother the rights holders to Minecraft, Terraria, etc., folks. We'll wait right here while you get your answers; just be sure to share those answers with us once you do have them.

• Like 2

good grief.

dont forget light gun support!

Not that I'd want to give Atari any ideas, but someone is actually working on a light gun that'll work with modern TVs.

It's on that other crowdfunding site. The one that makes people offer up actual prototype hardware:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sindenlightgun/the-sinden-lightgun

Ya, but if some crotch rocket loads up those tired, garden variety Linux games, everybody will rejoice in the streets for the great thing Atari made.

At this point, I'm pretty well convinced that Atari SA would rejoice if they could figure out how to get X running.

Then again, that would let them release such gems as xroach, xeyes, Tux Racer, and Secret Maryo Chronicles (which would totally not get them sued). Perhaps they're just crazy like a fox.

• Like 1

What, no love for the Koala Pad? GET ON THAT STAT, ATARI SA!

I love how all of these people are clamouring for <insert game here> to appear on the Ataribollocks when those games aren't titles that Atari SA owns the rights to.

Go bother the rights holders to Minecraft, Terraria, etc., folks. We'll wait right here while you get your answers; just be sure to share those answers with us once you do have them.

If Atari SA expects to compete, they need to court developers, so the Ataribox's supporters aren't talking to the wrong people.

Atari SA won't attract any significant developers; most likely they won't even try. But it is their job to try.

Is there anyone left out there who doesn't either a) have no interest in playing Minecraft or b) already own Minecraft on at least three different platforms?

• Like 5

Is there anyone left out there who doesn't either a) have no interest in playing Minecraft or b) already own Minecraft on at least three different platforms?

Not only do I have no interest whatsoever in playing Minecraft, I have never owned Minecraft on any platform. And I'm happy to keep it that way.

Also, I'd like to see Atari SA go back to doing stupid things in public view. Our shitposting could use a bit of a shot in the arm.

• Like 3

I barely know what it is.

• Like 6

I was hopelessly addicted to it for a while. I enjoyed exploring caves in the game.

I was hopelessly addicted to it for a while. I enjoyed exploring caves in the game.

I still play it. I go through cycles of playing it nonstop for a day or so then not touching it for a month or more. It's that game I can go back to when I'm bored with other games because I can usually create some new mission for myself that'll keep me entertained for a while.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 1

All I know about Minecraft is that irritating people have made millions of hours of extremely annoying YouTube videos about it. I have no interest in playing it.

• Like 4

I still play it. I go through cycles of playing it nonstop for a day or so then not touching it for a month or more. It's that game I can go back to when I'm bored with other games because I can usually create some new mission for myself that'll keep me entertained for a while.

I quickly got bored with it. When my kids were younger, they used to play it a lot. They (and their friends) would build some elaborate and creative things, so I can't begrudge that aspect of it. I don't think they have played it in a long time though.

Just like every other day!

You need not wait for May 4th to watch Star Wars

You need not wait for May 5th to eat tacos

You need not wait until ∞ for "Atari" to let you play video games

That's a tinge Dr Seuss-like.

hehe...

...Check it out....2600 Posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<-------------------------------

..........haha........ WOOOOHOOO!

Now...

Lemme just stay off AtariAge for a couple so I can revel in the magic number!

• Like 13

Hey guys, I've been following this topic since the beginning and believe you guys are right about the simple stock buyout play atari is doing.

I was wondering what you would do yourselves in Atari's shoes....lets say you were in their exact same position right after raising the money and had to make a new system. What would it be like? How would it look? How would it be different and cool?

It could be a serious idea or a silly one, hey a silly one could work! Here is what I would try to do:

It just has to simply be more powerful than the Jaguar, and capable of emulating all Atari systems up to and including the Jaguar, find the minimum cheap raspberry pi style hardware that could do that. Its impossible to complete with the same expensive hardware as the big boys and lots of great indie 2d games are on linux and raspberry pie already.

Put it in a case worthy of fitting in on a shelf in the Blade Runner movies, a brutal, fake organic aesthetic, I'm thinking a wood pyramid with the games as glass teardrop shapes with unique marble like swirl colors hiding the memory eprom that slots into the top of the pyramid. Opens up alot of possibilities for collectors to proudly display the cartridges as futuristic style art sculptures. Xbox 360 wireless style controllers with a keypad added just for the hell of it, fake leather grips.

keep the system open and anything goes, just have it run linux (I'm guessing you can configue the system to boot a minimum linux enviroment transparently on each cart with the game) and at a minimum charge for the luxury heavy quality made pyramid case, and service for the glass teardrop cartridge manufacturing, but let anyone make games with a SD card as long as they don't use the trademarks, charge enough so you don't lose money, that's the best idea I got.

I really want to hear your ideas!

• Like 1

Hey guys, I've been following this topic since the beginning and believe you guys are right about the simple stock buyout play atari is doing.

I was wondering what you would do yourselves in Atari's shoes....lets say you were in their exact same position right after raising the money and had to make a new system. What would it be like? How would it look? How would it be different and cool?

I wouldn't make a new system. I think Atari attempting to get back into the hardware business is ridiculous and doomed to failure.

I'd focus all resources on hiring the best indie programmers to make new games and rebuild the Atari brand around software for other platforms. Create an online store where you can buy once, play anywhere (iOS, Android, PS4, XBone, Switch, PC, Mac, etc.) Make it about the games. Period. Stop wasting time and resources elsewhere.

Something lost on Atari nostalgiaists is that the only reason Atari built its own hardware back in the day, is because that's what they had to do to. Now, with all of the other hardware available, there's absolutely no justifiable reason for Atari to make a console. They lack the expertise to develop, manufacture, market and compete with anything else on the market, or even carve out a sustainable niche of their own. For some reason, they keep trying to convince people that just because $39 Flashbacks have sold in the hundreds of thousands, that somehow those figures will translate to a console that costs $300, and as of yet still has effectively zero* games announced for it (and certainly, zero games shown actually running on it). Software sells consoles. Not the other way around.

*Atari's endlessly recycled classics and Tempest 4000 (available elsewhere) don't count.

• Like 11

hehe...

...Check it out....2600 Posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<-------------------------------

..........haha........ WOOOOHOOO!

Now...

Lemme just stay off AtariAge for a couple so I can revel in the magic number!

take a screenshot! Preserve it!
  • Like 1

It could be a serious idea or a silly one, hey a silly one could work! Here is what I would try to do:

It just has to simply be more powerful than the Jaguar, and capable of emulating all Atari systems up to and including the Jaguar, find the minimum cheap raspberry pi style hardware that could do that. Its impossible to complete with the same expensive hardware as the big boys and lots of great indie 2d games are on linux and raspberry pie already.

Put it in a case worthy of fitting in on a shelf in the Blade Runner movies, a brutal, fake organic aesthetic, I'm thinking a wood pyramid with the games as glass teardrop shapes with unique marble like swirl colors hiding the memory eprom that slots into the top of the pyramid. Opens up alot of possibilities for collectors to proudly display the cartridges as futuristic style art sculptures. Xbox 360 wireless style controllers with a keypad added just for the hell of it, fake leather grips.

keep the system open and anything goes, just have it run linux (I'm guessing you can configue the system to boot a minimum linux enviroment transparently on each cart with the game) and at a minimum charge for the luxury heavy quality made pyramid case, and service for the glass teardrop cartridge manufacturing, but let anyone make games with a SD card as long as they don't use the trademarks, charge enough so you don't lose money, that's the best idea I got.

I really want to hear your ideas!

Anyone else want to bet that this is a team member from Atari SA looking for genuine ideas on what to do since they don't have an actual console themselves and don't know how to make one?

• Like 11