IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I'd make something like the Game Brain, Telstar Arcade, or Cassette Vision. Hopefully, putting processors in each cart would let me get the console's price low, so it could be sold as a toy. And hopefully putting processors in each cart would keep it from becoming obsolete in a year.

• Like 1

I wouldn't make a new system. I think Atari attempting to get back into the hardware business is ridiculous and doomed to failure.

I'd focus all resources on hiring the best indie programmers to make new games and rebuild the Atari brand around software for other platforms. Create an online store where you can buy once, play anywhere (iOS, Android, PS4, XBone, Switch, PC, Mac, etc.) Make it about the games. Period. Stop wasting time and resources elsewhere.

Something lost on Atari nostalgiaists is that the only reason Atari built its own hardware back in the day, is because that's what they had to do to. Now, with all of the other hardware available, there's absolutely no justifiable reason for Atari to make a console. They lack the expertise to develop, manufacture, market and compete with anything else on the market, or even carve out a sustainable niche of their own. For some reason, they keep trying to convince people that just because $39 Flashbacks have sold in the hundreds of thousands, that somehow those figures will translate to a console that costs $300, and as of yet still has effectively zero* games announced for it (and certainly, zero games shown actually running on it). Software sells consoles. Not the other way around.

*Atari's endlessly recycled classics and Tempest 4000 (available elsewhere) don't count.

^^This. Atari could have done any number of things with their IPs. Selling a console they weren't prepared to make is literally the worst option they could have picked. Now the question isn't "How do they do it right?", it's "How do they backpedal in a hurry?"

The only moderately honest path out is to refund the money and go back to selling t-shirts. But they won't do that because they're dishonest scumbags and have already spent the money on coke and whores.

• Like 8

Hey guys, I've been following this topic since the beginning and believe you guys are right about the simple stock buyout play atari is doing.

I was wondering what you would do yourselves in Atari's shoes....lets say you were in their exact same position right after raising the money and had to make a new system. What would it be like? How would it look? How would it be different and cool?

It could be a serious idea or a silly one, hey a silly one could work! Here is what I would try to do:

It just has to simply be more powerful than the Jaguar, and capable of emulating all Atari systems up to and including the Jaguar, find the minimum cheap raspberry pi style hardware that could do that. Its impossible to complete with the same expensive hardware as the big boys and lots of great indie 2d games are on linux and raspberry pie already.

Put it in a case worthy of fitting in on a shelf in the Blade Runner movies, a brutal, fake organic aesthetic, I'm thinking a wood pyramid with the games as glass teardrop shapes with unique marble like swirl colors hiding the memory eprom that slots into the top of the pyramid. Opens up alot of possibilities for collectors to proudly display the cartridges as futuristic style art sculptures. Xbox 360 wireless style controllers with a keypad added just for the hell of it, fake leather grips.

keep the system open and anything goes, just have it run linux (I'm guessing you can configue the system to boot a minimum linux enviroment transparently on each cart with the game) and at a minimum charge for the luxury heavy quality made pyramid case, and service for the glass teardrop cartridge manufacturing, but let anyone make games with a SD card as long as they don't use the trademarks, charge enough so you don't lose money, that's the best idea I got.

I really want to hear your ideas!

Anyone else want to bet that this is a team member from Atari SA looking for genuine ideas on what to do since they don't have an actual console themselves and don't know how to make one?

-Following this topic since the beginning

-Doesnt create an account until May 3, 2019

-Suspiciously calls account "newatariideas"

Oh, by the way. If you really are someone from Nutari SA and you're soliciting for ideas, and if someone suggested one you liked and you were to hypothetically run with it, that person with the idea could technically sue. Just sayin'

Although i'd expect an over zealous, litigious company such as Nutari SA to already know that.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 5

Hey guys, I've been following this topic since the beginning and believe you guys are right about the simple stock buyout play atari is doing.

I was wondering what you would do yourselves in Atari's shoes....lets say you were in their exact same position right after raising the money and had to make a new system. What would it be like? How would it look? How would it be different and cool?

It could be a serious idea or a silly one, hey a silly one could work! Here is what I would try to do:

It just has to simply be more powerful than the Jaguar, and capable of emulating all Atari systems up to and including the Jaguar, find the minimum cheap raspberry pi style hardware that could do that. Its impossible to complete with the same expensive hardware as the big boys and lots of great indie 2d games are on linux and raspberry pie already.

Put it in a case worthy of fitting in on a shelf in the Blade Runner movies, a brutal, fake organic aesthetic, I'm thinking a wood pyramid with the games as glass teardrop shapes with unique marble like swirl colors hiding the memory eprom that slots into the top of the pyramid. Opens up alot of possibilities for collectors to proudly display the cartridges as futuristic style art sculptures. Xbox 360 wireless style controllers with a keypad added just for the hell of it, fake leather grips.

keep the system open and anything goes, just have it run linux (I'm guessing you can configue the system to boot a minimum linux enviroment transparently on each cart with the game) and at a minimum charge for the luxury heavy quality made pyramid case, and service for the glass teardrop cartridge manufacturing, but let anyone make games with a SD card as long as they don't use the trademarks, charge enough so you don't lose money, that's the best idea I got.

Have Fred Cheesehead donate all Atari proprietary rights to Albert.

The End.

• Like 17

post-52262-0-09711300-1557104452.jpg

• Like 5

If you really are from Atari SA, then read this thread from the start as I doubt you have.

As for ideas... what can be said? Well, enough with the empty set console, refund every backer, and try again by developing IP for consoles that actually exist. The whole idea for Atari to get back into the console business was and is ludicrous to begin with.

• Like 3

Nathen, your an expert, Atari needs to hire you stat.I think your post about rebuilding with software and universal digital stores was the most responsible, steady, profitable idea for any sane company that cares about its customers and stockholders.......but...its not sexy. I define sexy as a combination of wild and reckless. Imagine if John DeLorean only made ECM chips for other cars, instead of his beautiful disaster of a sportscar, nobody would know his name today.

Pacman000, great idea about the chips in each cart! I think the type of people that would ultimately program for the system would be Atari fans doing it as a hobby, so they would have lots of fun optimizing their game for the cheap chip they picked out, potential to start a friendly competition of Demoscene style programmers, might be even cooler if there are options with sound chips we can order, I think a big idea is the "Indie band releases new album on cassette" factor, its not about the quality of the cassette tape, its the respect for nostalgia, and having a real tangible object.

Another factor would be the collector market, the people on Youtube that have every system and game, thats why I was thinking it just has to be better than the Jag, that way collectors can have fun imagining it as an alternative universe style system. Although I wonder how much power it would take to run Cuphead?

My ideas are half-baked, good point above about everyone being sick of half-baked linux and android ports, thats what took down all of those mini systems like the Ouya. Atari would need to pass out advances to small cheap studios to make decent sequals to all its big recognizable games.... Kasumi Ninja 2! only on....Lets call it the Atari Wildcat.

I'm looking around here at the house and I see a fishtank, one of those scent emitting electronics, and a voice activated electronic....houses are full of too many electronics, that's why I think the system itself needs to have a bit extra, like stand as a piece of art or sculpture on its own. I think that would be where Atari could make the most money, selling the Art Object that encases the cheap internals. I think the PS2 when on it's stand vertically looked close to a beautiful piece of electronic art.

I think if we put all our heads together we could figure out a great plan. (and natian, don't take my "not sexy" coment seriously, I'm just having fun and need to hear more of your ideas!)

Edited by newatariideas

Gets called out on suspicion of working for Atari then responds like nothing had happened... That only raises more suspicion and basically confirms an Atari double agent is fishing for ideas from the other side of the fence.

Either way though like said before they're better off sticking with software like Sega continues to do. However unlike Sega, AtariSA hasn't any of the original employees from when Atari was a good product.

In my eyes AtariSA coudn't be further from its former self, one would think atleast some of the current Atari staff would have accounts and frequently post on AA. You would think from the way they talk about being faithful to the IP they would stick around close to the only source left(AA). Yet they're off in the clouds with no interest other then how to make money from the nostalgia of those who were fans back in the day. There has been many former programmers from Atari and Activision ect come though over the years yet not one modern Atari employee to my knowledge.

I mean there isn't any other site out there that screams Atari more then AA. Anyway im sure they would be well aware of this thread and realize they can't pull the wool over everyones eyes lol

• Like 3

I'm looking around here at the house and I see a fishtank, one of those scent emitting electronics, and a voice activated electronic....houses are full of too many electronics, that's why I think the system itself needs to have a bit extra, like stand as a piece of art or sculpture on its own. I think that would be where Atari could make the most money, selling the Art Object that encases the cheap internals.

Oh really? Tell me more... Whos going to buy an empty Nutaribawks plastic case? Have you really been following this thread since the beginning?

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

Nathen, your an expert, Atari needs to hire you stat.I think your post about rebuilding with software and universal digital stores was the most responsible, steady, profitable idea for any sane company that cares about its customers and stockholders.......but...its not sexy. I define sexy as a combination of wild and reckless. Imagine if John DeLorean only made ECM chips for other cars, instead of his beautiful disaster of a sportscar, nobody would know his name today.

Pacman000, great idea about the chips in each cart! I think the type of people that would ultimately program for the system would be Atari fans doing it as a hobby, so they would have lots of fun optimizing their game for the cheap chip they picked out, potential to start a friendly competition of Demoscene style programmers, might be even cooler if there are options with sound chips we can order, I think a big idea is the "Indie band releases new album on cassette" factor, its not about the quality of the cassette tape, its the respect for nostalgia, and having a real tangible object.

Another factor would be the collector market, the people on Youtube that have every system and game, thats why I was thinking it just has to be better than the Jag, that way collectors can have fun imagining it as an alternative universe style system. Although I wonder how much power it would take to run Cuphead?

My ideas are half-baked, good point above about everyone being sick of half-baked linux and android ports, thats what took down all of those mini systems like the Ouya. Atari would need to pass out advances to small cheap studios to make decent sequals to all its big recognizable games.... Kasumi Ninja 2! only on....Lets call it the Atari Wildcat.

I'm looking around here at the house and I see a fishtank, one of those scent emitting electronics, and a voice activated electronic....houses are full of too many electronics, that's why I think the system itself needs to have a bit extra, like stand as a piece of art or sculpture on its own. I think that would be where Atari could make the most money, selling the Art Object that encases the cheap internals. I think the PS2 when on it's stand vertically looked close to a beautiful piece of electronic art.

I think if we put all our heads together we could figure out a great plan. (and natian, don't take my "not sexy" coment seriously, I'm just having fun and need to hear more of your ideas!)

You've made another error stating that Atari cares about its customers. A company that cared would not be misrepresenting prototypes or trying to take money for hardware they weren't prepared to build. Atari SA has been treating their customers like garbage for years now. This is just the latest ride in the dump truck.

• Like 10

I think if we put all our heads together we could figure out a great plan.

For non-fixed-term engagements, my consulting rate is $200 per hour with a minimum of 16 hours to be contracted.

If this sounds acceptable, I'll draw up a scope of work and send it over. Once that has been signed and returned, we can start brainstorming.

If you'd prefer a longer-term engagement at a significantly reduced rate, we can certainly discuss options in that regard.

• Like 7

What happens when you write your dreams down? Let's find out.

This is obviously fiction, but if the principals at Atari SA want to use it, please do so with my compliments.

To fans of Atari, old and new:

This is a difficult update to write.

Despite the crowdfunding success of our company’s recent IndieGoGo campaign for the Atari VCS, it’s become clear through our recent financial results that our classic brand does not carry the clout that it once did. Furthermore, we have been listening to customer feedback and we know that we are letting down the legacy fans, while failing to attract new fans.

The Atari VCS campaign will be suspended immediately, and all backers will receive an automatic refund to your chosen payment method. Atari SA will purge its records of mailing lists and any stored personal information we have collected. The project has never grown out of the prototype phase and development has ended. We regret any inconvenience or disappointment this may cause.

We’ve tried to improve upon the brand legacy launched by Atari in 1972, but we have failed to live up to the expectations of gamers and enthusiasts. For that we are sorry, but we have some plans to make it up to you.

Effective immediately, we’re going to stop commercial monetization of our IP. Projects in the production pipeline will release as scheduled, but Atari SA will no longer function as a licensing entity. Furthermore, effective September 2018, 41 years after the launch of the Atari 2600 console that popularized the company, Atari SA will release its vintage gaming assets into the public domain, so that the community may freely enjoy these historic games, such as Asteroids, Adventure, Missile Command, and many others.

As we dissolve Atari SA, shareholders will be paid out the market value of our stock once creditors are paid, in accordance with the law.

Thank you for being with us on this wonderful journey.

The Atari SA Board of Directors

• Like 8