IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

My money is on it being one of the "classic" sock-puppets we've seen so many times along the way. Or maybe it's "Biff."

There is a Biffian quality to it, but more congenial than he used to be...

• Like 2

BIFF ?

Marty : Doc, Doc, we need to go back !

Doc : Back where ?

Marty : Back to the future !

Doc : Is it Biff again ?

Marty : Yes, yes it is.

Doc : Okay, let me fill up the Time Machine & we'll be on our way.

[ Back To The Future Main Theme Plays Here ]

• Like 2

If we have a time machine we can fix all of this. Tho there is some risk of messing up the timeline...

"Whatever happened to Apple Computers; they were big till the late-80's." ;)

That already happened they came back in the late 90s

• Like 3

I agree that becoming a normal software company just isn't as sexy as recklessly releasing a console. He has a point there.

I might point out that if Atari wants to be "sexy", they're in the wrong industry altogether.

(Inb4 Atari crowdfunds Bluetooth vibrators)

• Like 3

I thought Biff was more arrogant...more argumentative...I could be wrong for sure. I don't feel like going back to reread anything so I'll stick to my vague notions of what I thought I remember ;)

New Ideas seems a bit less, I dunno...Douchey than an Atari employee...

Although I detect a certain "blah blah blah" fingers-in-ears quality, his/her first post had actual ideas...So that doesn't sound like nutari either. They seem to have lifted everything they've been doing from other sources,...Couldn't even name the product right.

Honestly if it was a big golden pyramid with woodgrain accents and a marble swirled controller with crystal carts or whatever the heck...Well, That would be a hell of a lot more interesting than the neoretrofartmod, ribbed for her pleasure, 3D render box for illustrative purposes only that I've grown to despise.

• Like 4

You mean slap a logo on one ?

That's exactly what I mean. You don't think I'm suggesting Atari SA would actually create something NEW, do you???

I await a Frankodragon response so I can see it in the flesh (whoa-oh, bad choice of words perhaps)...My Photoshop skills are nonexistent and I don't wanna have to run out and buy one, then buy an Atari sticker to put on it and then take a pic for everyone to see...Again.

Hi.

I promise everything I said was true so far, maybe I missed 100 pages over the years on this thread since I sometimes would only check once a week or month, but this has been an amazing thread to read, I also loved keeping up with the Mike Kennedy saga and I used to listen to the rgr podcast. I didn't sign up earlier cause I work alot and didn't have anything to say really.

These ideas have been floating around in my head for awhile, but I'll see if I can do a better job summing up the big picture.

Atari is going to fail at this and let us down, so what is the backup plan for the fans?

I've been thinking of the idea of strong brands, icons, modern consumer culture. It bonds us together in a dystopian world that has forgotten our ancient culture. Artists now worship and bond over Adobe and Apple vs say, an ancient worlds artist guild. What do we do when these brands let us down? Lose their goodwill? How do the fans take back their culture?

A few examples I can think of are Apple fans refusing to buy the glued and soldered together models, making Hackintoshes, or keeping old models going. BeOS is still alive through the Haiku OS, I heard their is a project to make a new Amiga, Old video games get unofficial mods adding features and scenerios. These are led by fanatic fans, since only they know best how to make something that is a modern reincarnation of the magic when the company was at its peak. They do the work for free, pure capitalism, ideas are worthless and cheap, and a product is only worth what we are willing to pay. It makes me mad when the fans can't make stuff in fear of the handfull of MegaCorps and their army of lawyers. I'm not saying break the law, just make things in the spirit of using the best ideas of the past and making a new logo and trademark, that should be legal right?

There is a debate over The Orville being the true spiritual successor over Star Trek Discovery.

Also we can look at the fashion industry, which as I understand it, you can't patent clothing, just the trademark and logo. I'm a huge fan of Ralph Lauren clothes, everything about that company is great, sure it costs alot but you can always find it at thrift shops. At first I was upset at this other company called US Polo Association, they ripped off Ralph Laurens clothes blatantly, even building huge storefronts in the same expensive malls that Ralph Lauren was in. After I thought about it, its cool. Competition is good and brings prices down, and US Polo Association brings the same feeling when a customer wears those clothes, the ideas of Ralph Lauren are kept intact for a new audience that couldn't afford his clothes.

So with all this fanatic brainpower here, 694 pages worth, I was wondering if anyone has thought about this, building our own freaking system, probably in the most open source free kit way possible, 3d printer, list of parts to buy, etc. Even make a new Logo and Name that evokes the late 70's, early 80's blade runner asthetic, it could all be done. But do it so freaking powerfully with massive consensus and hard decisions on exact parts and specs, that it is without a doubt, the true spiritual successor. I think the litmus test would be the hobbiest programmers making new games for old systems, if they wanted to program their games for this new system, knowing thats where all the action is, its where all the atari fans have moved to.

Edited by newatariideas

My money is on it being one of the "classic" sock-puppets we've seen so many times along the way. Or maybe it's "Biff."

You've made another error stating that Atari cares about its customers. A company that cared would not be misrepresenting prototypes or trying to take money for hardware they weren't prepared to build. Atari SA has been treating their customers like garbage for years now. This is just the latest ride in the dump truck.

post-52250-0-22355800-1557211153_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi.

I promise everything I said was true so far, maybe I missed 100 pages over the years on this thread since I sometimes would only check once a week or month, but this has been an amazing thread to read, I also loved keeping up with the Mike Kennedy saga and I used to listen to the rgr podcast. I didn't sign up earlier cause I work alot and didn't have anything to say really.

These ideas have been floating around in my head for awhile, but I'll see if I can do a better job summing up the big picture.

Atari is going to fail at this and let us down, so what is the backup plan for the fans?

I've been thinking of the idea of strong brands, icons, modern consumer culture. It bonds us together in a dystopian world that has forgotten our ancient culture. Artists now worship and bond over Adobe and Apple vs say, an ancient worlds artist guild. What do we do when these brands let us down? Lose their goodwill? How do the fans take back their culture?

A few examples I can think of are Apple fans refusing to buy the glued and soldered together models, making Hackintoshes, or keeping old models going. BeOS is still alive through the Haiku OS, I heard their is a project to make a new Amiga, Old video games get unofficial mods adding features and scenerios. These are led by fanatic fans, since only they know best how to make something that is a modern reincarnation of the magic when the company was at its peak. They do the work for free, pure capitalism, ideas are worthless and cheap, and a product is only worth what we are willing to pay. It makes me mad when the fans can't make stuff in fear of the handfull of MegaCorps and their army of lawyers. I'm not saying break the law, just make things in the spirit of using the best ideas of the past and making a new logo and trademark, that should be legal right?

There is a debate over The Orville being the true spiritual successor over Star Trek Discovery.

Also we can look at the fashion industry, which as I understand it, you can't patent clothing, just the trademark and logo. I'm a huge fan of Ralph Lauren clothes, everything about that company is great, sure it costs alot but you can always find it at thrift shops. At first I was upset at this other company called US Polo Association, they ripped off Ralph Laurens clothes blatantly, even building huge storefronts in the same expensive malls that Ralph Lauren was in. After I thought about it, its cool. Competition is good and brings prices down, and US Polo Association brings the same feeling when a customer wears those clothes, the ideas of Ralph Lauren are kept intact for a new audience that couldn't afford his clothes.

So with all this fanatic brainpower here, 694 pages worth, I was wondering if anyone has thought about this, building our own freaking system, probably in the most open source free kit way possible, 3d printer, list of parts to buy, etc. Even make a new Logo and Name that evokes the late 70's, early 80's blade runner asthetic, it could all be done. But do it so freaking powerfully with massive consensus and hard decisions on exact parts and specs, that it is without a doubt, the true spiritual successor. I think the litmus test would be the hobbiest programmers making new games for old systems, if they wanted to program their games for this new system, knowing thats where all the action is, its where all the atari fans have moved to.

J0wDkiW.png

• Like 8