IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

There are tons of little companies making single board computers, I was thinking it might be as easy as calling them up and they customize it a bit and knock it out so Atari could market it as their own custom design they labored over, that would have been the most obvious route to please the backers.

I'm just trying to inject a little positivity into the conversation. Think of the idea of single-tasking and arcade games vs consoles. An arcade game can have real controls for flight, driving, sitting, custom button layouts. A serious creative computer user has different equipment layouts and auxiliary keyboard controllers for sound production, video editing, monitor setups. Maybe a pen and tablet for digital painting. Remember vertical monitors for desktop publishers in the 80's? There's plenty to think about for future computers, especially for the friends and family I'm thinking of putting something together for, this is just a small thing I'll share with my friends and family to see if it gets them creating.

Ever play a game in Mame and it just isn't the same without the whole experience with the custom cabinet? That was another idea the VCS could have exploited to differentiate itself from the pack. Maybe a few first party games that included a mandatory custom controller that had to be included with the game, and the game is built into the controller and streams itself to the console through Bluetooth? Expensive and crazy but it's a starting point for a conversation.

Is it? Atari has done enough damage trying to promise things they can't deliver. Dreaming up more things they can't deliver is not likely to improve the outcome.

Again, I come back to: What can Atari do that another company cannot and is not already doing? Basically, they can re-release Asteroids. I appreciate you trying to inject positivity, but remember that the negativity's source is Atari itself. When a company shows outright disregard for its customers, and states clearly they have no intention of releasing a quality product, that creates an atmosphere of resentment.

• Like 11

At the end of the day this will only be a PC with an atari logo slapped on it. Most of us The dumbasses, getting one, will probably just use it to browse the web and continue posting about tacos in this thread??

Fixed.

manly_man_man_taco_logo_shirt-r5b4870a85

• Like 8

Just to let everyone know, we're having tacos for dinner tomorrow night. It's been confirmed by two sources (my wife and daughter). I will update as more details become available.

I hope this is going to be a real update, and not an Atari one.

Because this is important.

• Like 9

Just to let everyone know, we're having tacos for dinner tomorrow night. It's been confirmed by two sources (my wife and daughter). I will update as more details become available.

To post that announcement "Atari style," you have to show the family standing around inside a nondescript industrial building, in front of a wall of flakeboard, gathered around a plywood "workbench," staring earnestly at the tacos ... without actually showing the tacos (just plop a TV on the workbench with a bunch of random wires and crap to block the view). Oh, and you need one random guy standing off to the side with his hands down the back of his pants.

EDIT: Amazing, this thread just reached 700 pages! (It may not look that way yet because of hidden/deleted posts that not everyone can see.)

• Like 10

To post that announcement "Atari style," you have to show the family standing around inside a nondescript industrial building, in front of a wall of flakeboard, gathered around a plywood "workbench," staring earnestly at the tacos ... without actually showing the tacos (just plop a TV on the workbench with a bunch of random wires and crap to block the view). Oh, and you need one random guy standing off to the side with his hands down the back of his pants.

EDIT: Amazing, this thread just reached 700 pages! (It may not look that way yet because of hidden/deleted posts that not everyone can see.)

I am offended by that, reported. Oh, wait. :ponder:

• Like 10

Actually, I think empty taco shells should be in the picture to show the promise of tacos that are coming soon, and they really want them to happen.

• Like 5

I am offended by that, reported.

I actually changed it from "one random guy standing off to the side with his hands down his pants," because I knew that would give the wrong connotation, yet you still found it offensive. There's just no pleasing some people. :mad:

:P

• Like 5

Actually, I think empty taco shells should be in the picture to show the promise of tacos that are coming soon, and they really want them to happen.

Empty taco shells sitting on bubble wrap.

And everyone needs to have very perplexed looks on their faces.

One of them has a can labeled "Artificial Taco Fixin's" and is trying to open it with his teeth.

And somebody has a beard. A mighty Smoak beard. With a bird living in it.

• Like 10

I think we are approaching the time of month where "Atari" announces that soon they will have a pre announcement to announce. Then they'll say they have to keep things secret because of their partners and Fat Elvis.

... and they'll use their same modis operandi to find the cheapest way to protect the identities of said uber secret partners.

post-52250-0-21380100-1557640908.jpg

• Like 8

Empty taco shells sitting on bubble wrap.

And everyone needs to have very perplexed looks on their faces.

One of them has a can labeled "Artificial Taco Fixin's" and is trying to open it with his teeth.

And somebody has a beard. A mighty Smoak beard. With a bird living in it.

That should definitely be the daughter. A fake beard, with a pair of Groucho glasses, and an "Atari Engineer" name badge written in crayon.

post-52250-0-70183000-1557644481_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

He's got that face like he has no shame (nor the intention to stop) after getting caught.

But who knows. One guy's hand in the front of his pants, the other guy's hand in the back. It's probably just related to the Atari VCS, after all.

The tacos were a whopping success. All backers got exactly what they paid for and extra hot sauce was provided for backers who wanted it without charge. Originally we thought we might have to delay for 8 months since we were going to introduce a new brand of refried beans which almost forced us to start from scratch but our backers wouldn't have believed it would take 8 bloody months to make dinner since, you know, they aren't absolute morons.

Bottom line the tacos were a huge success and I look forward to partaking in future crowd funded taco ventures that will actually produce something that will exist and be enjoyed.

• Like 8