IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

So, basically, it has taken Atari one year and three million dollars to add a second fire button to their joystick.

1*ERlYlEaYwg0fyFqBEY59Mg.jpeg

(Also, just noticed that the image is 666 pixels tall. That must mean something.)

Is that a 3.5" floppy drive in the side? Wow ... they really have scrapped the bottom of the tech bin!

post-52250-0-24096000-1558594588.jpeg

Now I know what that monstrosity reminds me off. :ponder:

post-21025-0-96149500-1502552780.jpg

True ... but these exist at least.

• Like 9

The OUYA store is closing for good next month. :(

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/343182/The_Ouyas_game_store_will_close_for_good_in_June.php

They launched in 2013 after raising $8.5 million on Kickstarter and were also in retail stores like Target. It was a nice little box for emulation and retro-style games before RetroPie and "official" mini consoles like NES Classic stole everyone's hearts. Few will miss OUYA, but it's worth remembering that it was executed better than "AtariBox" in every possible way before becoming the butt of so many jokes.

• Like 7

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/343182/The_Ouyas_game_store_will_close_for_good_in_June.php

They launched in 2013 after raising $8.5 million on Kickstarter and were also in retail stores like Target. It was a nice little box for emulation and retro-style games before RetroPie and "official" mini consoles like NES Classic stoke everyone's hearts. Few will miss OUYA, but it's worth remembering that it was executed better than "AtariBox" in every possible way before becoming the butt of so many jokes.

OUYA you say?

OK, I don't know why I can't embed the video...

https://youtu.be/1F1YyDPZLX8?t=1265

Edited by Inky

This might not be the place to ask this question, but..

Does anyone know where those Taco's in Endgame came from?

The one Antman tried to eat and Prof. Hulk gave to him (they look fresh)

And why did not Thanos not use the gauntlet to make the infinity Taco machine? everyone would have enough to eat, even Galactus.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1

It's not the blind devotion to new Atari that gets me. If believing it's the same company makes them happy, then let them believe. It's when they get all "I still have my original copy of Swordquest, WITH the comic, so I don't see how anyone could possibly be a bigger Atari fan or know more about Atari than me!" That's when I need to get out of there before I do something I'll regret later.

Most news articles imply they're the same company, & the news is supposed to be a better source than a random person on a social media site. (eg. Me, You, Us.)

Till last year I didn't know exactly how much of the original company survived. I knew they merged with JTS, were sold to Hasbro, & were then sold to Infogrames, but I didn't know most of their employees were let go before the JTS merger, & I didn't know their last old employee left right before the brand was sold to Hasbro. Even contemporary news articles don't have those details; you have to read interviews or that Usenet post Atari's old marketing manager made when they shut down. While the information's not exactly hidden; it is something you'd have to look for, & if you don't know where to start that would take a long time.

• Like 6

They launched in 2013 after raising $8.5 million on Kickstarter and were also in retail stores like Target. It was a nice little box for emulation and retro-style games before RetroPie and "official" mini consoles like NES Classic stoke everyone's hearts. Few will miss OUYA, but it's worth remembering that it was executed better than "AtariBox" in every possible way before becoming the butt of so many jokes.

I hope they release a patch, so the systems don't have to look for the store when booting. It would be wrong to brick all those systems.

• Like 6

Most news articles imply they're the same company, & the news is supposed to be a better source than a random person on a social media site. (eg. Me, You, Us.)

The Ataribox is a pretty small story. Most news outlets (especially non-gaming news outlets) don't consider it worth the time or effort to research the history of the company (and the stringers writing the stories aren't going to know) or include it in what is basically a fluff piece. "The Company You Loved When You Were A Kid Is Back" is going to get a lot more shares and likes than "Some French Guys Who Bought The Name Of The Company You Loved As A Kid Say They're Going To Release A New Console But Things Aren't Looking So Good."

• Like 13

I hope they release a patch, so the systems don't have to look for the store when booting. It would be wrong to brick all those systems.

Can't the OUYA be hacked to avoid this?

Edited by Inky

"Atari is like the Dread Pirate Roberts and the mantle of Dread Pirate Roberts is passed down to different people."

That's what Leonard Tramiel actually said to me on Facebook.

And we all know what Igno Montoya said about that....

• Like 8

"Atari is like the Dread Pirate Roberts and the mantle of Dread Pirate Roberts is passed down to different people."

But under the mask the Dread Pirate Roberts was really a nice guy named Wesley. You can't say that about the current Atari.

• Like 7

That's what Leonard Tramiel actually said to me on Facebook.

And we all know what Igno Montoya said about that....

Atari is The Ghost Who Walks!

...or in this case stumbles & bangs their shin while dropping hot tacos all over you.

Edited by pacman000
  • Like 5

Atari is not Wesley because they never say "As you wish." when we ask for updates.

Atari is just a shambling rotting corpse or something like a zombie.

In response to most people not knowing what this company is now. I had no clue before any of this. I just assumed it had some how survived and just kept a low profile. I did not realize it was a bunch of French rights squatters.

• Like 7

Bless my heart, I just can't resist stirring the pot. this is from the AtariVCS subreddit.

Oooh, the sleepy "VCS" subreddit has a new community manager! Let's give him/her a proper AtariAge welcome!

Yup recently added them; not sure what their plan is there... The last time they abandoned the page, so I got it back. This time around they have very limited mod ability. Anything they might do to hide or prevent opposing opinions will be reversed and I'll kick them to the curb.

Feel free to comment, positive or negative and so long as you are not attacking the users your posts will stand.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 14

Anything they might do to hide or prevent opposing opinions will be reversed and I'll kick them to the curb.

Feel free to comment, positive or negative and so long as you are not attacking the users your posts will stand.

That's mighty decent of you!

giphy.gif

• Like 6

And why did not Thanos not use the gauntlet to make the infinity Taco machine? everyone would have enough to eat, even Galactus.

That would be awesome. Snap your fingers - BOOM! A taco.

Now then... how does one go about finding some Infinity Stones?

• Like 3