IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Stopped for Papa Murphys for Friday night. The Subway next to it closed (no big loss as theres a billion Subways nearby) and its a taco place now! Robbinsdale, MN right next to North Minneapolis if you're wondering!

post-42460-0-88351600-1559944306_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

Ugh! It took me a moment to regain my eyesight after reading that quote.

It's a special combination of amusing and horrifying to see early video game history being written by people who probably weren't even born at the time, but it's even more painful when they work without copy editors. Never mind those of us who were actually there: as the Millennial sayeth, so mote it be!

Hey! I wasn't born then & that quote's errors rankle me too!

• Like 1

There's so much wrong in that last quote I don't even know where to start.

Whatever you do, don't read the entire article. It's essentially a book report of Business Is Fun as written by a 12 year old who didn't read the book.

• Like 2

Does anyone else find this part curious?

post-2410-0-60462300-1559922458_thumb.pn

When Kieren Hawken (Backer) says He's written all these books about Atari, They say "Thanks so much for all the support!"

When Marc Oberhäuser (AtariAger) says he's written a book about Atari*, They say (and I'm paraphrasing here, since I don't speak Lawyer or douchebag) "Try to publish that and we'll sue your ass to kingdom come!"

And that's ignoring the fact that none of these books are even about this version of Atari!

Reminds me a little of Battlestar Galactica...There was a time when the Star Wars legal team was threatening to sue Battlestar Galactica's producers etc., claiming they stole their idea....Meanwhile (some of) Star Wars Special FX Team were working For Battlestar Galactica to give it those incredible Special FX...

*Sorry I didn't find the thread.

I looked up Kieren Hawken's bio. Was he known as "The_Laird" here on AA before getting banned years ago?

• Like 4

Speaking of which, there's a little FAQ at their backer kit survey.

https://atari-vcs.backerkit.com/faq

This slays me

Who created it?

Atari VCS is a modern connected device inspired by the original Atari 2600. The Atari 2600 was a closed, plug-and-play game system.

Last updated: September 05, 2018 14:26

That didn't even come close to answering the question ...their own question that they asked.

Elsewhere, the Cheddar "interview" on Twitch is just Fred and his usual stump speech talking points, promises for e3 next week, and the same B-roll video they used in the IGG pitch -- you know the one, with Tempest in Twitch, the "modern" Yars' Revenge, and the expanding ribs. Lots of recycling all around. Of course, someone in the Facebook group mistook this for a real live demo, forgetting they've seen this show before.

No real questions, except they asked him about "the un-console," to which he fumbled an answer. Paraphrasing: "Someone on the team said that, we are about openness and freedom." Pretty pisspoor performance compared to Feargal's energy IMHO, but better than Arzt has done.

At this rate, I'm thinking their big announcement about "partners" next week will include be limited to PowerA, AMD, and IndieGogo.

• Like 4

For real? That's bizarre. Did he confuse Commodore with Atari back then, too?

You seem to be mixing up two people now: David S. Cohen who wrote the article on Lifewire, and Kieren Hawken who brags about have written 12 books about Atari.

Yes, I realized that after I posted, and now I feel even worse now that you've reminded me. Sad face.

OK I'm better now.

I wonder how long they'll go with this "un-console" tag? Because consoles are

- fun

- usable by everyone

- have tons of software

- sold everywhere

- available now

- enjoy solid marketing and merchandising support

- can be serviced after hardware trouble

- get lots of good press

- have executives who answer questions rather than dodge

Those all seem like good things, and "Atari" has demonstrated none of it to date. Maybe they'll make some noise about a few of these next week, but it seems odd to try to hand-wave all their weaknesses as they've been doing.

Atari. It's not dog shit, it's the "un-chocolate." We think you're going to love it.

• Like 9

^ Wow. This is the first time I've actually seen the entire Fox Business interview. Fred definitely fumbled it.

It's not all on Fred. Even if there actually was anything to say about the VCS, it wouldn't have mattered. All the other guy wanted to talk about was Pong.

• Like 6

Stopped for Papa Murphys for Friday night. The Subway next to it closed (no big loss as theres a billion Subways nearby)

I am surprised Subway was even ever a thing!

I guess with the lack of Fared Jogle to pander to his loyal sandwich aficionados locations would be closing.

I mean its not like I can make my own sandwich by slapping some stuff between 2 slices of bread for $5 at home, you need the equipment, a butter knife, wax paper to wrap it in, various squirt bottles filled with condiments, gloves...

Edited by OCAT

It's not all on Fred. Even if there actually was anything to say about the VCS, it wouldn't have mattered. All the other guy wanted to talk about was Pong.

Okay, so here's how I might have handled that:

FRED: "Let's talk about Pong. Why do so many people remember Pong so fondly? It was the simplest video game you can possibly imagine, and yet it was challenging, and fun, and it was a game that people—including couples—could play together in person. Nolan Bushnell, who co-founded Atari, once said that hundreds of people have told him over the years that they met their husband or wife playing Pong. That's a magical formula that modern video games have gotten away from: they're complicated, they're expensive, they require significant investments of time and effort, and you (mostly) have to play with other people online, so you lose that personal interaction. The classic video games that we all remember, like Pong ..."

STUART: "... and Space Invaders and Pac-Man ..."

FRED: "Space Invaders and Pac-Man, exactly! These games were all 'easy to learn and challenging to master'—they had to be because of the technology of the time, and that was really the key to their success. So, what we want to do at Atari is to create games which recapture those classic qualities, and present them to today's players in a way that makes it easy for them to jump in and have an enjoyable experience playing together."

STUART: "So can I really bond with my kids playing Pong?"

FRED: "Well, Pong is a great example. Playing the original black-and-white Pong is one thing, but I don't think kids would find that too exciting today—and if they do, they'll have it, because it comes with this system. But just imagine also having an upgraded version of Pong, with totally new graphics and sounds, that four to eight people can play together at the same time? Parents and kids and grandkids throwing the ball around, playing cooperatively or competitively ... it would be insanely fun!"

Maybe that's not a perfect pitch, but I think it would have been a lot better than going on and on about Linux, and about "sandbox mode" and "computer mode", and other things that people don't really care about. It would be a lot closer to Tommy Tallarico's pitch for the Intellivision Amico, which I still find to be much better (both the pitch and the product concept).

• Like 6