IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Ah, yes. PowerDubs as I like to call him, Power-Troll. He comes at #2 off the 10 types of trolls as The Persistent Debate Troll but with a bit of insult as well.

I'm guessing with the 2001 reference to Indiegogo comments there also has to be monkeys with the monolith. But I can image what's behind closed doors with Atari's next project: The VCS 3001.

post-18158-0-46519000-1560288128.jpg

• Like 4

Apparently my alter ego was just banned from the VCS Facebook page for pointing out that I could also buy a small block supercharger from walmart.com, and side from Walmart taking their cut, there's nothing retail about it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Edelbrock-Supercharger-Enforcer-Chevrolet-Small-Block-V8-Engines-w-1986-Earlier-Heads/800916820

post-6333-0-77566500-1560288667_thumb.png

• Like 4

They may release "something" but it will be an under powered / overpriced (for what it does) linux box / device that does NOTHING new or particularity well. But I remain skeptical of even that much as to date besides rendered images, a shell they love to display and some likely fake mock up game-play, delays, hype, there has been no real demos or proof of anything tangible. As always though the nostalgia blind will throw $$$$ anytime the ATARI logo is used regardless that it has NOTHING to do with the original company. They are claiming a MARCH 2020 release I think ? I am expecting to laugh my ass off on that day however it goes down.

• Like 2

There are no games. Its the Un-Console. Consoles play games silly. I think that is why they started the un-console. I wonder if the moms are going to figure out how to use Atari's Kodi on their Linux box?

Wonder how that Tempest Linux port is coming along?

• Like 9

On 6/11/2019 at 5:02 PM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

They may release "something" but it will be an under powered / overpriced (for what it does) linux box / device that does NOTHING new or particularity well. But I remain skeptical of even that much as to date besides rendered images, a shell they love to display and some likely fake mock up game-play, delays, hype, there has been no real demos or proof of anything tangible.

Yes. The argument hasn't been that they will release *nothing*, but that what they finally *do* release will fail to live up to the hype, because "Atari" does not have the necessary talent or resources to create anything sufficiently different from other alternatives to justify the $3M that they raised from crowdfunding. When "that Ataribox?" finally does shipwhatever it ends up beingand when the True Believers inevitably claim that this somehow "proves the naysayers wrong," they will only be setting up a straw man.

It's true that they've shown nothing tangible, but let's remember that they've also released several pictures and videos of the "prototype" in action that were highly questionable, if not demonstrably faked. (I'm thinking specifically of the video of Tempest 4000 supposedly being played on a prototype "that Ataribox?" console, even though Llamasoft never created a Linux version of T4K and knew nothing about it.)

• Like 7

Well... let's see what impact Atari's big announcement is having at E3, shall we?

post-2641-0-21130600-1560296635_thumb.png

Huh, that's weird. Maybe Search is busted. Let's try this:

post-2641-0-19393500-1560296643_thumb.png

Well, that worked. Of course you'd expect it to return something.

Let's try something a little more contemporary with Atari:

post-2641-0-84075400-1560296637_thumb.png

Hmmm. Okay, but they're a pretty big, modern company. Let's try something more retro:

post-2641-0-49029600-1560296640_thumb.png

I don't know... it's not looking good.

Maybe I'm typing it wrong.

• Like 12

I'm sure this guy will get deleted soon.

attachicon.gifCapture1.PNG

post-52250-0-98633400-1560301684.jpg

So the project is still technically at prototype stage ... with the pigeons not seeing any actual working physical gear. The new "Next Exciting Chapter" announcement was just made within the last 24 hours, with a shitload of valid questions being thrown at the wall without reply .... and at the same time, they post this saying the page will no longer be updated, all funds are now locked to Atacobox development and the pigeons can no longer ask for a refund or change their orders ...... even though it appears they're not actually 100% sure what their orders may contain, both in substance and technical specifications. In fact, some pigeons may not even be aware of this update yet. Wow!

post-52250-0-16243600-1560302927.gif

post-52250-0-27043500-1560303065.jpg

Damn. Looks like someone used his head as a pan to cook a couple of eggs!

• Like 6

They have yet to show a single original game, and the only confirmed title is ye olde Atari Vault, a decent enough collection, but not special in the least. The main selling point has been "freedom," which is possible on any real computer available now.

So the "official" rep posted this on Reddit:

How are you guys feeling about this? It's a very exciting time! Confirmed distro partners should put to rest some of the fears about the project's legitimacy, we hope! :D

The fact that you might be able to buy the uselessbox from third party retailers does nothing to add to their credibility as far as I can tell. Who are they trying to impress or convince at this point?

No refunds for IGG buyers. No feedback or ability to track units sold on GameStop or Walmart. Anyone who has waited this long would do well to keep on waiting, because the reviews are going to be savage.

What's worse: following and mocking, as we have been doing, or just ignoring, as the rest of the world has done?

• Like 6

Cool! A new Atari flashback in a different case for ten times the price! Just what I wanted...

I think sandbox mode is when my dog buries it in the sandbox after I toss it outside just because I have enough Flashbacks. I am really glad I didn't back this thing.

They must have figured an easy way out... it would be a dangerous game not to produce now after all that info.

At least they finally got an update.

I wish best of luck to all those who backed this thing. I hope some people get something that they can enjoy.

MrBlackCat

There's a lot wrong with this, but I can't help but see it as them going from...."we'll communicate when we choose" to "your money is now ours, and we will not tell you anything at all, goodbye." And yet, for all the marketing, interviewing and babbling, they've still said nothing. This would seem like a huge breach of IGG terms if any of that actually mattered one bit. Exactly how do you get in trouble for anything on IGG? As it stands now, they literally stole these peoples money with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Also, how do pre-orders on Walmart's or GameStops web portal work? Do funds go to Atari prior to shipment? Are they being held in escrow somewhere? Is that their new avenue for stealing money from suckers prior to declaring bankruptcy and disappearing with the cash? By my estimation, this is looking even more like a criminal fraud situation, as if it were possible to look worse.

• Like 5

If it turns out that "Nutari" becomes a 3rd party seller through Walmart, then people are going get screwed royally especially when there's nothing Walmart can do about 3rd party sellers.

And if you're really a sucker to buy Nutari, then you should eat a bunch of reaper tacos delivered to you in a plastic coffin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKvTOr-K_xo

There are no games. Its the Un-Console. Consoles play games silly. I think that is why they started the un-console. I wonder if the moms are going to figure out how to use Atari's Kodi on their Linux box?

Wonder how that Tempest Linux port is coming along?

No one seems to ask this:

Atari has made ZERO mention of putting together the needed backend infrastructure to support these supposed consoles for the streaming services and game delivery. Sure, they can rent out some Amazon AWS servers and put something up, but they need to put together the backend code to actually make this whole supposed online service actually work.

Even with the new delay, there is still ZERO reason why the controller only purchases shouldn't still ship right now, the controllers should've been done a year ago. They are supposedly bluetooth, so ship them and let people play with them on their PC's, Macs and Linux systems

• Like 15

So what comes first? GameStop declaring Chapter 11/13, or the Ataribox actually making into customer's hands.

The former is going to happen, and we still might be at the prototype stage for the latter in 2020.

I had the same question ...also, would VCS ever make it into physical stores, or is this just an online purchase? Not that anyone needs to see Atari Vault in person. At least a few IGG commenters are talking about keeping theirs boxed and speculating about serial numbers. :ponder:

I'm no bankruptcy expert but I think the relevant labels are chapter 7 (complete liquidation) and chapter 11 (relief from creditors to reorganize and try again). I would expect the ThinkGeek portion to spin off somewhere else but the games portion to fall hard, but that's just based on my recent trip to a GameStop that looked like a geeky toy store.

Media reaction to the "news" has been ...limited... hasn't it? :lol: Nothing to write home about, literally.

• Like 7