IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Cnet has a new video up https://www.cnet.com/videos/the-new-atari-vcs-console-is-more-than-a-retro-game-box/

The console actually looks kinda cool. Definitely overpriced and not mainstream, but I can see them selling a fair amount and with the price I would guess they are making money on each unit

Wait a second..... IS THAT ACTUAL FOOTAGE OF THE SYSTEM IN ACTION?

• Like 1

It's unclear to me whether that was shot by CNET or was just a "sizzle reel" from Atari itself. Lots of jump cuts either way.

The clear case gives us a view of the hardware inside.

post-2410-0-62438300-1560341659_thumb.png

Arzt has gone up a few belt sizes since we last saw him. I'd be stressed too, if for some insane reason I chose to oversee this circus.

post-2410-0-59847700-1560341709_thumb.png

They showed a bunch of 2600 games, and this Android game.

post-2410-0-11821100-1560341773_thumb.png

The narrator says that Borderlands, a very old game that was just given away for next to nothing on existing platforms, was shown running "acceptably."

post-2410-0-99525500-1560341830_thumb.png

The prototype stick got a disproportionate amount of screen time. This doesn't seem like something they should be proud of.

post-2410-0-57927000-1560341972_thumb.png

I wonder why they stopped blogging about their "behind the scenes" progress?

Anyone playing Days of Doom on Android?

post-2410-0-99250100-1560342379_thumb.png

• Like 5

lol you beat me to it flojo

Have at it bro, it's not as if I'm the only one with an opinion. :)

Borderlands deals: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/borderlandshandsomecollection/info/

You know where I played the most Borderlands? On the ONLIVE miniconsole. That goes to show how old this is, and what a "try anything" chump I am, and even I think "Atari VCS" is redonkulous.

• Like 5

Some fun on Facebook this morning...

I didn't blank out this person's name, because he blocked me soon after he responded to my post calling the VCS a boondoggle...

post-144-0-33169600-1560344160.png

Then my response to this comparison to ET...

post-144-0-35744700-1560344148_thumb.png

• Like 7

Have at it bro, it's not as if I'm the only one with an opinion. :)

Borderlands deals: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/borderlandshandsomecollection/info/

You know where I played the most Borderlands? On the ONLIVE miniconsole. That goes to show how old this is, and what a "try anything" chump I am, and even I think "Atari VCS" is redonkulous.

Well, apparently the VCS will run Windows 10. I guess that could be the ARM version, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Specs-wise, it seems like a decent little system. Aesthetics-wise, it's pretty awesome actually.

My major gripe with this (and why I feel it's destined to fail) is the piss-poor communication mainly.

I'm no longer making an exclusive game for this thing because of that reason alone-- the company behind the project burnt me as a developer.

They also STILL have not established how and where developers sign up to make games for the system. They're simply giving us no information whatsoever.

Reminds me of when Sega unexpectedly released the Saturn at E3 and developers got really pissed off at them for it.

• Like 1

So, I just watched the video...

https://www.cnet.com/videos/the-new-atari-vcs-console-is-more-than-a-retro-game-box/

Why is Atari being so stupid? This is the first I've seen this video. Why wasn't this video released in one of their "Update E-mails" that they've sent out? Or was it?

This video is huge... it shows an actual working system, joystick, and assembled devices.

It seems like they're legitimately trying to do something, but just really, really need to get their shit together with respect to PR and Marketing.

• Like 3

Well, apparently the VCS will run Windows 10. I guess that could be the ARM version, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Specs-wise, it seems like a decent little system. Aesthetics-wise, it's pretty awesome actually.

It would be the full version of Windows 10; the AMD chipset in use is Intel-compatible. But you'd need to bring your own Windows license (a legit Windows 10 Home license costs $139 from Microsoft) and external storage, because the onboard 32GB eMMC isn't going to cut it. There are lots of pretty NUC cases out there that don't come with "Atari's" goofy restrictions like waiting forever to ship their bespoke gimmick. Anyone who has the chops to install an alternative OS on this has the ability to do it on real hardware.

"All specs subject to change" :lol: of course they are. I can't find an equivalent processor out there, which is probably a major cause for their delay.

ATARI VCS SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS*

* All specifications are subject to change

ATARI VCS 800 SYSTEM Dimensions 11.6” x 5.9” x 1.9” (Approx.) Weight 3 lbs. (Approx.) Materials Plastic, Metal, Wood Operating System Atari Custom Linux OS (Linux Kernel) APU AMD Raven Ridge 2 GPU Ryzen Storage 32GB eMMC internal, unlimited external USB HD/stick, cloud (subscription required) RAM 8GB DDR4 RAM (upgradable) Compatible Systems Linux, Windows, Steam OS, Chrome OS Power Low TDP architecture - Less Heat & Noise Wireless Connections Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4/5GHz, Bluetooth 4.0 Wired Connections HDMI 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 4x USB 3.1 USB Ports 2x front, 2x rear External Inputs Classic Joystick, Modern Controller, Microphone, Others TBD Mouse & Keyboard Support Yes, USB or Bluetooth 4K Video w/ HDCP 2.2 Integration Yes Internet Connection Required Not for classic gaming but required to access all features

Why is Atari being so stupid?

Cos they're the derp squad and their communication strategy is straight out of 1991?

• Like 5

This video is huge... it shows an actual working system, joystick, and assembled devices.

Well heres the problem they have shown videos and pictures of things being played on the system for years now and its been shown to be faked

So with multiple fake videos abound what did they really show... Something in a 3d print a 3d print joystick that may do something and a front end which might could be something or just a skin

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 5

https://www.cnet.com/videos/the-new-atari-vcs-console-is-more-than-a-retro-game-box/

Why is Atari being so stupid? This is the first I've seen this video. Why wasn't this video released in one of their "Update E-mails" that they've sent out? Or was it?

It seems like they're legitimately trying to do something, but just really, really need to get their shit together with respect to PR and Marketing.

Exactly my thoughts.

That is all stuff they should have been sharing with us Indiegogo backers. They blew it though, and now it's sort of "too little too late".

I think this could be an interesting collectors' item for Atari hardware, but nothing more than that frankly. I'll fucking puke my brains out of astonishment if this thing actually succeeds at some level.

• Like 2

...because the onboard 32GB eMMC isn't going to cut it.

You're right. And forget installing other applications. A 32GB eMMC isn't even enough to handle the most basic Windows 10 install. I have an HP Stream 13.1 Laptop, which I LOVE... but every time Windows does their anniversary update, I have to pretty much uninstall everything just to have enough room to pull down the update. It needs at least a 64GB eMMC to just "function" as a machine.

You're right. And forget installing other applications. A 32GB eMMC isn't even enough to handle the most basic Windows 10 install. I have an HP Stream 13.1 Laptop, which I LOVE... but every time Windows does their anniversary update, I have to pretty much uninstall everything just to have enough room to pull down the update. It needs at least a 64GB eMMC to just "function" as a machine.

I mostly love the HP Stream as well. Price, form factor are great. Keyboard and trackpad are OK. Screen, less so. Storage is bad -- software needs to be installed to the SDcard and like you say, updates are nearly impossible. If you can live without Windows, it makes a nice Linux Mint machine. I adore the 11in Stream for what it is and have entertained getting one of the newer 4GB RAM models just cos they're cute and cheap as chips on eBay.

I'm surprised nobody pointed this out yet:

wtfvcs.png

I saw that too an assumed it was a typo because the next sentence was something about Walmart preorders shipping in March 2020. I can't go back and look now because I can't remember which of the many websites with empty Atari promises that's from.

• Like 3

Here's my thinking (as if anyone cares)... I was highly skeptical initially, but I can actually see this thing selling a few units. If they can get some decent media apps in there, I think this thing could be seen as a Nvidia Shield competitor. I really liked the Shield, but the games were quite limited. Since this is PC based, it would theoretically be super easy to port games over. It looks like Atari is giving a decent revenue split in their store as well.

No, this will never sell anything remotely close to the big 3 and it will have very few exclusive games, but it could be a cool device to have a tinker with. Obviously, the pricing is a bit high, but they will probably get a small market segment.

I know everyone here has different opinions on whether they should have even attempted this, but given the whole timeline of events, they actually seem to be putting together a decent package.

• Like 1

I love how in the video when they say "Out of fashion" they show an image of the Speakerhat.

• Like 4

Here's my thinking (as if anyone cares)... I was highly skeptical initially, but I can actually see this thing selling a few units. If they can get some decent media apps in there, I think this thing could be seen as a Nvidia Shield competitor. I really liked the Shield, but the games were quite limited. Since this is PC based, it would theoretically be super easy to port games over. It looks like Atari is giving a decent revenue split in their store as well.

No, this will never sell anything remotely close to the big 3 and it will have very few exclusive games, but it could be a cool device to have a tinker with. Obviously, the pricing is a bit high, but they will probably get a small market segment.

I know everyone here has different opinions on whether they should have even attempted this, but given the whole timeline of events, they actually seem to be putting together a decent package.

Yup, I totally can get behind what you're saying here.

I partially regret deciding to pull support away from this thing as a developer, but that was their fuck-up-- not mine.

I watched the video. This looks like a legit working prototype to these old eyes, but given how this thing has taken so long to make, and the ill will Atari has made towards the classic community by not only brushing off and deleting critical comments, but also being patent trolls (I'm thinking of the Jaguar Podcast situation here,) This company which calls itself atari will never get me to by this thing. I would more buy the Amico first, as they were transparent, and didn't engage in fraud, borderline or otherwise, and they listened to the community and didn't shut off criticism.

• Like 3