IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Wait a second..... IS THAT ACTUAL FOOTAGE OF THE SYSTEM IN ACTION?

If Atari had a working system, odds are they'd have that and only that on the table--including varieties and controllers, of course. They wouldn't need their original plastic box (which CNET oddly ends the video on) and a transparent box that's for display only. I can't even imagine them displaying speakerhats or white non-working joystick prototypes because those distract from the product. Showcase the VCS.

Anyway, just follow the cables to see where the true PC behind the gameplay is. It's either in the black monitor stand box or underneath the table--which in some scenes is covered, and some (like this) are not (though could be two tables?).

post-39941-0-45079600-1560351733_thumb.jpg

post-39941-0-43686300-1560351837_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Cos they're the derp squad and their communication strategy is straight out of 1991?

The Derp Squad. :D Ah... how far we have fallen. From the Atari Force to the Derp Squad. (Waiting for the inevitable Photoshoppery to commence, and for heaven's sake, at some point in the comic, someone must proclaim, "By Smoak's Beard!!")

• Like 6

If Atari had a working system, odds are they'd have that and only that on the table--including varieties and controllers, of course. They wouldn't need their original plastic box (which CNET oddly ends the video on) and a transparent box that's for display only. I can't even imagine them displaying speakerhats or white non-working joystick prototypes because those distract from the product. Showcase the VCS.

Anyway, just follow the cables to see where the true PC behind the gameplay is. It's either in the black monitor stand box or underneath the fully-covered table:

attachicon.gifatari Whats in the Box.jpg

attachicon.gifBradPitt-whats-in-box-1024x5761.jpg

Hopefukly delicious tacos!?

• Like 4

I watched the Cnet video again and took some better screen captures. The editing was really fast and I wanted to look at the pieces on the table a bit more closely.

That edge looks ROUGH. 3D printed, or what?

post-2410-0-33386400-1560350717_thumb.png

Nothing is wired to anything, except for that hulking box PC in the background. I wonder what is inside?

post-2410-0-96812200-1560350764_thumb.png

Here's a forward view of the crystal case. What's inside? Dummy hardware? Video capture card? Super Nintendo?

post-2410-0-72628700-1560350779_thumb.png

Fun fact: Borderlands came out in 2012, and ran nicely on XB360 and PS3. Ackerman said it ran "adequately well" on the demo hardware. It could be the capture setup, but it sure looks laggy in this video and doesn't show well.

post-2410-0-47490800-1560350839_thumb.png

"Please do not touch" signs make me want to shake it hard and see how many hamsters are inside.

post-2410-0-82066800-1560350930_thumb.png

More "please do not touch"

post-2410-0-37471100-1560350977_thumb.png

Top view of the crystal case shows a fan that does not appear to be blowing anywhere you would want it to. More empty space than I expected. It's an early prototype, if it's real at all -- could just be yet another mockup.

post-2410-0-10832100-1560351042_thumb.png

Round up the usual suspects! <stifles yawn>

post-2410-0-94013700-1560351122_thumb.png

Yeah, they showed Atari 2600 Ms. Pac-Man as one of their demos as evidence of their power to bring in the third party licenses.

post-2410-0-51863500-1560351161_thumb.png

There's a lot of floppy play in the "classic joystick," which is a questionable choice since all of those 2600 games originally used digital controls.

post-2410-0-85445100-1560351250_thumb.png

Shiny boy hooked up to big box PC.

post-2410-0-69559500-1560351347_thumb.png

Glamour shot of the demo hardware, nestled deep into the mysterious black box. This is the stuff dreams are made of.

post-2410-0-42434800-1560351376_thumb.png

Closeup of the modern controller. Can someone please check it against the PowerA Xbox controller to see what's changed? I'm having a narcoleptic attack just looking at it. ZZzzzzzzzz.....

post-2410-0-95472600-1560351435_thumb.png

They had cutaways of the case for reasons I don't grasp; they don't seem particularly impressive in photographs. Maybe the materials are heavy and substantial? Hard to tell without putting hands on them.

post-2410-0-24016400-1560351540_thumb.png

Quick motion cut of the user interface in action. Lots of 2600 games. I don't think this is the current Atari Vault interface. Will the components of Atari Vault going to be launchable from Atari OS, is this a work in progress, or just another fake/mockup "for illustration purposes only?"

post-2410-0-04018600-1560351642_thumb.png

This ugly plastic prototype got a lot of screen time in the short video, including the twisting motion for rotary paddle controls. I remain skeptical of its durability, let alone ergonomics. Looking forward to user reviews.

post-2410-0-93071400-1560351828_thumb.png

Another view of the slices. Anyone know why they would have brought these?

post-2410-0-61669200-1560351906_thumb.png

Those edges sure look rough. I wonder when production starts? Backing out of December 2019 as a delivery date, I would think they're running out of time. Does anyone have experience with this kind of manufacturing to share some insight?

post-2410-0-19282300-1560351938_thumb.png

• Like 10

I watched the Cnet video again and took some better screen captures. The editing was really fast and I wanted to look at the pieces on the table a bit more closely.

"Please do not touch" signs make me want to shake it hard and see how many hamsters are inside.

attachicon.gif5 please do not touch.png

More "please do not touch"

attachicon.gif6 please do not touch.png

I thought those were stacks of business cards at first.

But then I realized, "Nah. Atari isn't a real business."

• Like 7

They're printed on foam core. I wonder if they were used last year at [the hotel room across the street from] GDC? Edit: I checked, it's inconclusive. The Register only used a few photos, Eurogamer used stuff from the press kit (which is still available if you want to make some mashups), and nobody else bothered to cover it because it's stupid.

Also, what a lovely aesthetic choice they made here. Holistic ecosystem, no raw edges.

post-2410-0-08986700-1560352708.png

• Like 5

I haven't watched the videos, but I can't help but notice that whoever is playing the "classic" joystick is gingerly holding the handle unusually close to the base, which is not the way one would ordinarily use such a joystick. Could that be because their "working prototype" is still using those rinky dink XBox joystick pots, and that they're afraid the handle will snap on camera if they grab it at the top the way a real person would?

• Like 4

I think this could be an interesting collectors' item for Atari hardware, but nothing more than that frankly.

I wouldn't even count on that, given that many of us old-timers don't even view this company as a valid "Atari."

Still, we may have turned a corner where there are enough younger people that either don't know or don't care about any of that, and it'll reach some kind of collectible Atari* status.

• Like 7

I haven't watched the videos, but I can't help but notice that whoever is playing the "classic" joystick is gingerly holding the handle unusually close to the base, which is not the way one would ordinarily use such a joystick. Could that be because their "working prototype" is still using those rinky dink XBox joystick pots, and that they're afraid the handle will snap on camera if they grab it at the top the way a real person would?

Maybe. It's hard to tell. I'd love to see a knob feel review of them.

The OUYA controller sounded awesome on paper ...

We believe a great console requires a great user experience. We are working with the award-winning designer, Yves Behar, and his firm fuseproject (designer of the Jambox).

We are designing the controller to be a love letter to console gaming. It will have everything you've learned to love: fast buttons, triggers, laser-precise analog sticks, a D-Pad – and it will have a touchpad for any games making the trek from mobile or tablet to the TV. It'll be just the right weight. We are working with select developers to play-test the controller through development. We call it 'the Stradivarius of controllers,' and we hope developers will be inspired to take gameplay to a new level with it.

...and we all know how that turned out.

The Retron77 used a replica 2600 controller, much simpler than what "Atari" is attempting here, and that seemed to have serious quality issues, breaking very easily.

Since the "Atari" goon squad has had trouble delivering T-shirts to the suckers donors backers pigeons hopeful, I'd wait for reviews before throwing any money at them.

• Like 2

"We know the case is the reason like 99% of you are buying this thing, but we're six months from the shipping date and we can't get the hardware to fit in there. Would you mind if your VCS was just a big black box? We'll put a Fuji sticker on the front and include a certificate of authenticity."

• Like 10

Maybe. It's hard to tell. I'd love to see a knob feel review of them.

The OUYA controller sounded awesome on paper ...

...and we all know how that turned out.

The Retron77 used a replica 2600 controller, much simpler than what "Atari" is attempting here, and that seemed to have serious quality issues, breaking very easily.

Since the "Atari" goon squad has had trouble delivering T-shirts to the suckers donors backers pigeons hopeful, I'd wait for reviews before throwing any money at them.

Not an attempt to defend this dumpster fire, but if the controllers are being designed by PowerA, there's no reason to think they wouldn't be decent. Maybe not best ever, but PowerA has designed more controllers this year than all the Ataris ever have, combined.

• Like 6

Looks like a graphics card laying on it's side, in that clear case. :ponder:

Probably cause it is and that clear case proto is 100 percent fake news. Now we just wait a short while and someone here on AA will figure out the exact make and model. Deja Vu much?

1457148378444182.jpg

post-2410-0-10832100-1560351042_thumb.pn

I'd say they where trolling everyone if I thought they where smart enough to pull a stunt like that, but they are not.

• Like 3

They have probably just thrown a generic laptop board in the clear case as an attempt to "show" progress. Those controllers look like the only real functioning prototype to me. And lets face it, coding a demo GUI isn't all that hard either.

It's easy to get all excited from a video but the question is how much of this system is actually functioning?! We all know by watching you tube videos if they don't show the hardware, cords and a power cycle it's usually faked.

This would be just like when Apple's revolutionary G4 Cube was released back in 2000, it was all about the BOX, nice shiny.. invisible plexiglass box.

Except they actually made a box, it did not sell but it was made, unlike the AtariBox.

Im thinking Atari should actuall MAKE one out of plexiglass as a limited see though edition to actually showcase what is inside the box. did I say "BOX" enough times

hmm I'm thinking eating game, anytime the VCS is referred to as the AtariBox ill scarf a Taco.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1