IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

they're afraid the handle will snap on camera if they grab it at the top the way a real person would?

You mean a seasoned retro gamer like the most of us here on AtariAge. When it comes to younger generations with little or no joystick experience, they tend to nudge lightly on the top of the shaft, sometimes carefully grabbing it with the tips of the fingers. I've seen it several times in the gaming area of the retro gaming expo I'm co-arranging. Both boys and girls, from elementary school up to high school ages. Very few of them grab the joystick shaft like it is supposed to be grabbed.

Now I don't know if Atari are making those controllers for old-timers or for Generation X who have little or no previous experience of joysticks. Or for anyone, for that matter.

• Like 2

.... Very few of them grab the joystick shaft like it is supposed to be grabbed.

Now I don't know if Atari are making those controllers for old-timers or for Generation X who have little or no previous experience of joysticks. Or for anyone, for that matter.

^^HAHA! this gave me chuckles... the part about them "Making those controllers"

lol ... "making"

• Like 3

I'm surprised nobody pointed this out yet:

wtfvcs.png

DECEMBER OF 2020? Maybe I'm just not doing the math right in my head... but that's a full 1.5 years away from now?!?!

That's almost 2 years after the original projected release date, if I'm not mistaken?

They were saying before the end of 2019. When did the december 2020 date come out!?

According to the press release linked in the Atari VCS update newsletter from yesterday Indiegogo backers will be receiving their consoles in December 2019 which will be 3 months before the full retail rollout scheduled for March 2020.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EYUjfAfqzBo0d5G1I7qV_T-YpsojRBNiFGLcRIU4Lt8/mobilebasic

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 2

They have probably just thrown a generic laptop board in the clear case as an attempt to "show" progress.

With a fan spreading heat all around the case, so it is equally hot everywhere?

• Like 6

There's a lot of floppy play in the "classic joystick," which is a questionable choice since all of those 2600 games originally used digital controls.

attachicon.gif10 a lot of play in the classic controller an odd choice for digitally controlled games.png

Yeah, it's almost like it's just a hunk of PVC pipe stuck to the top of a generic XBox thumb stick. Couldn't be though......could it?

I'm not sure the Generation Xers would be the problem. Aren't they the ones who were born from the early 1960s to the mid-1970s, or thereabouts? If so, they would have been kids when the Atari systems were newthey'd be at least in their 40s by now, the same age group as many of us—so they should still remember how to properly handle a joystick. It's the pod people who came along later who have no clue.

That's what I'm wondering, too. Are there even any vents cut into the top of that case? I don't see any from the angle shown in the picture. Where is the cool air supposed to come from? And is that fan just blowing the hot air back into the interior of that thin, flimsy, plastic case, which also seems to lack exhaust vents?

• Like 4

I doubt the clearcase system even works to be honest and is more of a display. I suspect it's probably used to try and show it's not an empty box because we all keep referring to it as a taco with no filling lol. After all we never really see what system is being used.

Why is there a wire coming out of the joystick?

there's a blutoof dongle at the end, most of the time in the industry its called a computer

but lets not bash them too hard, its not like a child could buy an ESP32 off a billion places for 5 bucks and have it running a bluetooth dongle using example code within 10 min of getting it (incuding installing the toolchain on the computer, er dongle)

oh wait, a child could do exactly that

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 4

Some fun on Facebook this morning...

I didn't blank out this person's name, because he blocked me soon after he responded to my post calling the VCS a boondoggle...

attachicon.gifhaters.png

Then my response to this comparison to ET...

attachicon.gifET.png

Let's see what happens when posting something similar on my Twitter feed. Mwahahaa!

post-18158-0-29263200-1560382718.jpg

(The avatar of Brian took me a minute to figure out what that was. I thought it was a shadow in front of some larger person with its hands cut off. )

Just watched the CNET video.

What the hell is going on with the joystick? Is this the self-centering 5200 joystick everyone dreamed of? It looks like it's going to control like shit. I've never played Pac-Man like I'm holding a chopstick either. Maybe that's how other people play but I like to grip my joystick and actually move it, this definitely looks to be more 5200-styled analog, which I have a deep passionate hatred for. What a shame.

As far as the laptop in a clear case? I could definitely see that. The game selection screen looks like a terrible mock up. See Tempest 4000 cut off around the edges or is that supposed to look like... that.

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 4