IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

34 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Are ?‘s acceptable for breakfast? ‘Cause it’s morning and now I’m hungry, ??

As long as you’re not taking $3M for the purposes of strengthening your brand, I think you should eat whatever you want for breakfast. 

From the ”can’t tell if satire or just lazy drivel posted by idiot” department:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1140749/New-PS4-and-Xbox-One-console-PS5-Project-Scarlett-release

And the good news for the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch is that they don’t have to worry about a new console rival this year.”

• Like 3

That El Reg article didn't disappoint, and had a great laugh in it:

The console's design is specifically made to look like the Atari 2600 of old – which is pretty much the only exciting thing about this project. And yet, despite that, Atari itself says it is "distancing the hardware from any lingering 'retro-box' impressions" while not actually doing that. It's like shooting yourself in the foot and then claiming you meant to shoot yourself in the head.

Not to mention "distancing the hardware from any lingering 'retro-box' impressions" by using the names VCS, 400 and 800. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

This article at The Register is not Atari-approved : 

Atari finally launches its VCS console. Again.

You can now pre-order this underpowered, over-priced, untested, over-complicated toy. What are you waiting for?

By Kieren McCarthy in San Francisco 14 Jun 2019 at 19:47

This article is pretty great. I wonder why McCarthy is the only journalist willing to call out how ridiculous this is? Everyone else is all, “let’s wait and see” as if they’re afraid of something. 

• Like 4

Perhaps The Register is the only magazine who could afford $279 to review a console they're not getting a freebie review specimen of because they badmouthed it before? All the others might be careful in their press in order to still be viable for freebies.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 6/14/2019 at 11:25 PM, AlecRob said:

Are yall haters gonna be disappointed if the ataribox makes it to market? Some people want this thing to be vaporware so badly lol

We don't "want" this to fail (well, at this point maybe we do, lol). 

Here's my perspective on the whole situation: 

I was initially super excited and enthusiastic about this console. Look back at my old replies to this thread-- I defended it left and right against other people here. 

Now? I feel silly for backing this thing. How did I get from there to here? Because I actually approached Atari by email and through the Indiegogo comments section about developing an exclusive game for them, and they gave me literally no information. I was polite, professional and excited in my messages to them, and they pretty much gave me the same treatment as an average joe. That's fine and all, but if you're a game developer and you're specifically saying "I would like to make an exclusive game for your platform to help you out", you would think you'd get something other than a scripted response. But nope.

Even today, their communication with developers has been abysmal. There STILL isn't any way to sign up to be a dev, and this thing is going to be out like 6 months from now. They've already been involved in controversy with the devs of Tempest 4000, because they initially said "Hey, we didn't make an Atari VCS port of that game..."

My point here is, I'm not interested in bashing the console or the company, but they pushed me to want to. Initially I was actually really excited. Ask the others. 

Having said all that, I'm still moderately interested in the hardware itself, and I have ideas for ways I can make good use of it in my home. I believe it will be a fun piece of tech to play around with, especially since it can essentially be a Windows PC in a nice console-sized unit-- different from most traditional desktop PC's. This makes it easy to carry around and pack in my suitcase if I want to go on long trips or something. Just slide the VCS into my bag, hook it up to the TV in my hotel room, and bam-- I've got my entire PC connected to a nice large TV.

By the way, here's another (more clear) picture of the clear-shell version of the system from Tom's Hardware below. Strangely, I don't even see a circuit board-- which is strange... Just parts. O.o 

The cooling system looks like it makes sense-- you've got what appears to be like a laptop-style CPU fan, and it blows the heat out the back vents. That's exactly how my laptop works, so that looks good..

It also looks like there's an M.2 slot in the front there, which would actually be a great feature to make up for the abysmal onboard 32 GB of eMMC. Though you would have to provide the storage yourself, which sucks.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9P

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Obviously it’s a reference to this. (NSFW site!)

https://www.oglaf.com/incubus/

That or perhaps I was trying to get people to try out that shiny new CONFUSED button... 

(I was pretty tired...Is there a word for posting in your sleep?)

Either way,  I used to say that children were the Future, Unless you're in the dimension that features Time Traveling killing machines whose main job is to wipe out children, in which case young adults and old timers are the future;  if they were not already killed as children in the past...unless ghosts can attack, but perhaps I'm off topic by now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I'll just post this PSA instead:

taco-tuesday-sends-a-terrible-message-to-our-children-they-3501673.png

Exactly!  Wife and I had Tres Portillos for lunch today.  Nice margarita on the rocks, chicken enchilada and chicken burrito with mole sauce, cheese, sour cream, and special hot sauce they mix up in the kitchen.  While not exactly Tacos, I was there in spirit.