IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

20 minutes ago, racerx said:

MY personal opinion is there's no where near enough homebrewers and hobbyists to keep this project afloat and profitable, especially when it's been pitched at Joe Blow Nostalgia Buff and Netflix Mom as The Return of Atari.

Despite my above post i never once said this thing would actually succeed.  I can see what they are going for but i doubt that many people would actually use it

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AlecRob said:

My personal opinion is the VCS doesnt need exclusive games. Does the raspberry pi have exclusive games? No.  VCS is not a console.  Its a single board computer for homebrew and hobbyists.   

When Atari unveiled this concept as the Ataribox, they included an e-mail that interested homebrewers could allegedly contact for Atari to get back to them on creating content for the platform. Several guys attempted to do so, including some here on AA. I've not heard of a single person who was able to get a response from them, it just bounced back or disappeared into the virtual ether.

Now, the excuse seems to be that you don't need to talk to Atari to develop for it, just wait like everyone else and you'll be able to do something in the sandbox mode. Combine that with Atari SA's past in chasing down homebrewers who made homage games or bothered to use the phrase "Haunted House," plus their constant lawsuits against their own partners, they are the last people you should want a platform like this from. 

The other problem is that few people are going to look at this as the revival of the Atari ST. If Atari SA wants that, then it should be sporting the shell and name of the ST instead of the 2600 - not a device known for it's home computing prowess, but as a games machine. It'll still fail, as they are dropping some powerful acid to think that the Atari logo will bring success where companies like Valve have failed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

14.thumb.png.cbcb38bbdbd3d4e6c2b2c0d9231fa4c7.png

Ah, Mark NJ. He could fit in every class of shill above, he's the biggest Tacobox fan I've come across. Believes every ounce of Atari's BS, and is always posting every mildly positive article about the Box on the Atari Museum FB group. He also seems to think that Atari is going to be an incredible investment opportunity, but no matter how many facts you throw his way, it goes in one ear and out the other ? Of course he's really good at moving the goalposts too, so will ensure that we all "EAT CROW" no matter what happens with the VCS. Sad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I guess they're back to the same nonsense their idiot originator Fragle MAC was on about. "I saw all these kids connecting their laptops to the TV, so I thought, a computer for the living room, now we're talking."

To which I immediately thought, "what kind of weird ass kids do you have?" They really do seem to believe people are dying for yet another "computer for your living room", and the plastic slots with a stained tongue depressor will make it that much more appealing. Just stupid.

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Anyone want to talk about “mindless trolling?”

A728FD2E-B9A4-4DC8-B232-A222A980D8EB.thumb.jpeg.1412c6caf9d3f5f629aef02ee846a02e.jpeg

my trolling is quite mindFUL, thankyouverymuch!

Mindless?!?!

Mindless!?!?!?!?

If this guy put half as much thought into his online purchases as I put into my trolling, he wouldn't have pre-ordered a VCS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Eh... The taco thing's become pretty mindless, & far too many jokes are made at the supporters' expense.

Even intelligent people make dumb decisions on occasion; Newton fell victim to a stock bubble. I'm sure we all can remember a receiving a raw deal once or twice; we wouldn't want to be insulted for it, would we?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

When Atari unveiled this concept as the Ataribox, they included an e-mail that interested homebrewers could allegedly contact for Atari to get back to them on creating content for the platform. Several guys attempted to do so, including some here on AA. I've not heard of a single person who was able to get a response from them, it just bounced back or disappeared into the virtual ether.

Now, the excuse seems to be that you don't need to talk to Atari to develop for it, just wait like everyone else and you'll be able to do something in the sandbox mode. Combine that with Atari SA's past in chasing down homebrewers who made homage games or bothered to use the phrase "Haunted House," plus their constant lawsuits against their own partners, they are the last people you should want a platform like this from. 

The other problem is that few people are going to look at this as the revival of the Atari ST. If Atari SA wants that, then it should be sporting the shell and name of the ST instead of the 2600 - not a device known for it's home computing prowess, but as a games machine. It'll still fail, as they are dropping some powerful acid to think that the Atari logo will bring success where companies like Valve have failed.

Hmm dropping acid definitely sounds authentic to 1970s atari. They should do that for inspiration. Hahah 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pacman000 said:

Eh... The taco thing's become pretty mindless, & far too many jokes are made at the supporters' expense.

Even intelligent people make dumb decisions on occasion; Newton fell victim to a stock bubble. I'm sure we all can remember a receiving a raw deal once or twice; we wouldn't want to be insulted for it, would we?

Well now - when a LARGE group of experienced people, each having 30+ years experience in the field warns a bunch of newbies to "avoid this scam", and then go on to present sound logical reasons for such, only to have the group call us "old assholes shouting get off my lawn" - yes, we can certainly shout "I told you so".

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

1.thumb.png.2dcf23e1075d7689d49f9820bb4e7dbf.png

2.thumb.png.6c658f07ece9c7142c5463a2c9794721.png

3.thumb.png.2527d674c644273cf29f6c7b1a3f7e32.png

4.thumb.png.7391f7161cd631401b016f2d12428f04.png

5.thumb.png.670743b61724485ae7ffb8f54f548367.png

6.thumb.png.48ea3640f63795c9f02ac8b3680192ed.png

7.thumb.png.3d7ec0b22a36aa6d69fd36403dda82fa.png

8.thumb.png.fdcec8f945ed7f9649c0dc7d374415b1.png

9.thumb.png.589fb20147762be61633aadabbbb1615.png

10.thumb.png.412f3785f06bea05de1557ea423580c3.png

11.thumb.png.8091effaa2ff854985f87c6af8d92308.png

12.thumb.png.6ef47bbbab71842c0ec842b473160d23.png

13.thumb.png.a89bc8bc3584180dda19dcb0b6959872.png

14.thumb.png.cbcb38bbdbd3d4e6c2b2c0d9231fa4c7.png

15.thumb.png.c7ebdaf30dcca2ec16086e4714053ef1.png

16.thumb.png.699eb38cc5917b3d4b11b6df665bcd63.png

17.thumb.png.810fb632630245ff5a4557fd0b58de6e.png

18.thumb.png.ebdc0234258c6488cc558f5a3e94a44e.png

bravo.gif.add43241ff44152cfd3bc7f7ecc5e789.gif

My god ... JP makes my head hurt!

brainfreeze.gif.05fd298f6094e469cc6b7416b0ba7e84.gif

1 hour ago, pacman000 said:

I can respectfully understand why some people think this, if I try and put myself in their shoes.  Different people, different strokes.  IMO, the world just needs to harden up, in certain areas, nowadays.

From my perspective, I've been in law enforcement for over 23 years.  Been called every name under the sun, abused, sent to hospital and yet happily come back for more.  There are a lot worse things out in society we should be focusing on.  Hence, I personally find these jovial and in some cases juvenile retorts harmless.  If I don't like a movie I'm watching because I find it offensive, I just don't watch it.  That's why I'm not on any social media.

Sorry for digressing, just felt compelled to comment for some unknown reason.  Now hoping "the one who knocks" doesn't kick my ass for bringing up PC stuff. ?? Soz.

ntsh.gif.61712167260b882e70c1899476b7b7b4.gif

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

MY personal opinion is that $390 is about $355 too much money for a crappy single board Raspberry Pi that can manage half-ass framerates on games from 2012.

Indeed. Some lucky sumbitch got a real Heavy Sixer, a CX-10 and a small batch of commons for about $55 shipped today on the 'bay.

That's one hell of a better for real Atari hardware, capable of playing "the classics" for real, no emulator required. 

• Like 5

They may call it a console but it isn't...it's a Linux Box. Games for it? None that I can tell, it seems from what I can find that developers want to stay far away from Ataribox as possible especially after that Tempest 4000 incident. Btw that developer has threaten to sue Atari if any of their games are even suggested as coming soon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Pac said:

Btw that developer has threaten to sue Atari if any of their games are even suggested as coming soon.  

That's a pretty provocative thing to say ... got link? I don't see anything of the kind in the usual public places. 

I'd love it if true, of course ... give "Atari" a taste of its own medicine. 

• Like 3