IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

So you're going to pay another $150 for Windows (if a legit copy) when you could just buy a windows installed laptop that will do everything and more for the same price. Not only that but you could have it in your hands right now rather then waiting. You have alot of faith in a company that has shown nothing and rather take the chance over reputable companies that already have capable products.

You’re completely missing my point.  A laptop isnt another failed console for my collection.

1 hour ago, AlecRob said:

The fact is, atari has little to offer someone my age who has next to no nostalgia for the brand.

Yet here you are, seemingly determined to embody every possible millennial stereotype.

looking at the indiegogo comments, it seems only neurotic freaks backed this project.

This much, at least, we can certainly agree on.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, AlecRob said:

<deleted>

Don't get me wrong but i think you're missing the whole point. You said you have no connection to the old Atari opposed to us who have nostalgia. I wasn't having a go but rather pointing out the difference when buying a system from a reputable source instead of these bunch of jokers.

You can feel free to like it, however AtariSA have no clue what they're doing. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all have a rich history in the software and hardware industry. Atari nowadays is nothing like the company it was and they are trying to masquerade their appearance.

The Ataribawks is a half assed project in the attempt of sales based off Atari's previous history.

• Like 9

Observations:

1. "Atari" has started giving out little diamond icons to its Top Fans on Facebook. Gross. But they seem happy enough about it. Never let it be said "Atari" didn't give them anything..

1988268373_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_41_28PM.thumb.png.c98f38a344e202b2dc84de31fd009d68.png1347549883_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_42_29PM.thumb.png.84f5c10438f2fe31dd0f3fabb7817c69.png

1719423970_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_43_32PM.thumb.png.77c2ed56762b142cffcf64210a1cbb98.png

560867963_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_44_06PM.thumb.png.5995d65d83850d5c6d9775c4fd624810.png318064835_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_45_17PM.thumb.png.f4272586b484ed0f5e9e542fc38c64ec.png1590223655_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_45_54PM.thumb.png.fec0b9f0715836847e5707436339e04b.png1846260785_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_46_38PM.thumb.png.53301744c66db0480346ad64be70fbe7.png

2. Is the Atari VCS persona on Facebook just a bot? It seems like one, dispensing empty platitudes like ELIZA

ELIZA: Please tell me what's been bothering you.
YOU:   I am really excited for Atari VCS!
ELIZA: How long have you been really excited for atari vcs ?
YOU:   All my life! Since 1977!
ELIZA: Why do you say your life ?
YOU:   Because Atari is my life. 
ELIZA: Does that suggest anything else which belongs to you ?
YOU:   Missile Command baby!!!
ELIZA: Does that have anything to do with the fact that you have your life ?
YOU:   And it's coming out soon. Wood. 
ELIZA: Lets discuss further why your life.
YOU:   I don't have one!
ELIZA: Why don't you have one ?
YOU:   ATARI, that's why
ELIZA: Are such questions much on your mind ?

Do you have an Atari story to tell? We'd love to hear it! https://www.masswerk.at/elizabot/

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, racerx said:

The "Top Fan" badge is automatically awarded by Facebook.

I've got a couple of Top Fans on my Flynn's Arcade but I was surprised as anyone about it. It just goes out to regular posters.

I get them for groups I don't even post in :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

You're not the first young person to post something like that in this thread (hi @Lodmot) but I don't understand that perspective AT ALL.

You're on a retro site where people talk about home computers with mere kilobytes of memory and storage, but living in an era with emulation, affordable and powerful commodity PCs, online games, infinite video streaming, cheap hardware manufacturing (clone systems, mini arcade machines, experiments like PlayDate), multitouch mobile devices, a huge indie game scene, massively multiplayer games, healthy market competition between several well supported mainstream consoles, myriad digital stores, charity bundles, value priced subscriptions, e-sports, and more. All with a giant back catalog that would take several lifetimes to fully explore, and it's all well documented with limitless options for reference and discussion. 

If anyone is "bored" with the electronic entertainment scene as it exists today, some poorly executed PC for the TV concept from a bunch of has-beens isn't going to light any fires. It's not 1991 anymore. 

Maybe it's time to go read a fscking book instead. 

That perspective still makes sense to me-- only difference between back when I said it and now, is that I opened my eyes to the fact that the VCS is made by incompetent people who don't know how to market something or communicate adequately to their backers. They also don't have any idea what they're doing. I'm partially worried when I get this thing, it will explode after a few days of use. LOL.

Having said that, I still don't feel like getting a PS4 or an Xbox One. What I actually play on today is a custom gaming PC that I built myself, and the Nintendo Switch. The PC is a tad bigger than a game console, and it has the Sega logo stenciled onto it (because I'm a huge Sega fan). I also modified the Windows installation on it so that it can switch between a "gaming mode" UI (LaunchBox/Big Box launcher) and the regular Windows 10 UI. So that's essentially my system of choice for current gaming hardware.

Other than the above, I preordered two Genesis Mini's, one of which will be mine to hack and do whatever I want with. The other one, I might just keep it in the box, or give it to someone else for Christmas-- not sure yet...

One thing I find kind of interesting is that the VCS will be capable of running Windows 10.... So they essentially make a stripped down version of the system I built myself.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AlecRob said:

The fact is, atari has little to offer someone my age who has next to no nostalgia for the brand.  I love River Raid, Kaboom, Midnight Magic, joust, HERO, and i guess a handful of others but other than that these systems just dont hold my attention.  I grew up playing Sega Saturn and gamecube and thats where the nostalgia magic is for me :)  i preordered VCS because i needed a compact PC and for 200 bucks it seemed rather amusing.  Thats all. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG 

looking at the indiegogo comments, it seems only neurotic freaks backed this project.

Is it possible you are a neurotic freak? :)

I do get the whole nostalgia thing. The older systems do have worthwhile games on them though. I'm not as young as you, but I have to look at the Intv and 2600 differently than even the NES. The 2600 is an Arcade experience. You pick it up play for a bit and move on. Not every game is a gem and many are confusing if you don't read the manual.

Sometimes people just assume old Atari games suck because of the graphics and go strictly off that. It really all boils down to gameplay. As you get older you will probably not feel as nostalgic but appreciate more the pick up, play and put down nature of the older games found on systems like the Atari. I can't fit it the long gaming jaunts like I use to. I do miss playing my RPG's.

Please tell me you've played Eternal Darkness as a NGC fan?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AlecRob said:

The fact is, atari has little to offer someone my age who has next to no nostalgia for the brand.  I love River Raid, Kaboom, Midnight Magic, joust, HERO, and i guess a handful of others but other than that these systems just dont hold my attention.  I grew up playing Sega Saturn and gamecube and thats where the nostalgia magic is for me :)  i preordered VCS because i needed a compact PC and for 200 bucks it seemed rather amusing.  Thats all. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG 

You could have gotten a Raspberry Pi 3 or have waited for version 4 to come out if you wanted something compact. Do a search on amazon, and you can find all sorts of things. If your nostolgia is with the Saturn and GC, this VCS dingus isn't going to fit that bill.

• Like 2

I'm partially worried when I get this thing, it will explode after a few days of use.

Does that mean the Ataco box is being designed by Irwin Allen?

I may have to reconsider my position..."Ataco box will be awesome! Can't wait to blast! Danger Will Robinson!"

• Like 2