IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On 6/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, Flojomojo said:

Observations:

1. "Atari" has started giving out little diamond icons to its Top Fans on Facebook. Gross. But they seem happy enough about it. Never let it be said "Atari" didn't give them anything..

1988268373_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_41_28PM.thumb.png.c98f38a344e202b2dc84de31fd009d68.png1347549883_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_42_29PM.thumb.png.84f5c10438f2fe31dd0f3fabb7817c69.png

1719423970_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_43_32PM.thumb.png.77c2ed56762b142cffcf64210a1cbb98.png

560867963_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_44_06PM.thumb.png.5995d65d83850d5c6d9775c4fd624810.png318064835_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_45_17PM.thumb.png.f4272586b484ed0f5e9e542fc38c64ec.png1590223655_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_45_54PM.thumb.png.fec0b9f0715836847e5707436339e04b.png1846260785_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_46_38PM.thumb.png.53301744c66db0480346ad64be70fbe7.png

2. Is the Atari VCS persona on Facebook just a bot? It seems like one, dispensing empty platitudes like ELIZA

Do you have an Atari story to tell? We'd love to hear it! https://www.masswerk.at/elizabot/

TOP SHILLS, ACTIVATE!

I like how they feel the need to reassure themselves that all will be well, batting away all the negativity with...utter nonsense. 

Robert will be in for a nice ride when he loads up World War Z on the VCS and watches it struggle to break 2FPS. Every game will be like MYST, now that's SMART!

And John....no you don't support a brand "no matter what." But as the old saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute. 

TIME FOR YOUR HISTORY LESSON, FELLOW TACO KIDS

1968. Seven-Up started marketing its lemon-lime drink as the Un-Cola, referring to its absence of caffeine and coloring and a touch of anti-establishment sentiment, because it was 1968. There's a neat little article about it here

The “Uncola” struck a chord with the younger generation as the first ads appeared in 1968. They focused on puns based around “un” part of the new slogan. By portraying Coke and Pepsi as “the Establishment,” JWT effectively situated 7-Up as an alternative brand for alternative people.

They had a series of fun, innovative posters, print advertisements, and television commercials. The slogan was used for many years. 

UNCOLA-billboard.thumb.jpg.37738201f3f3ccb5dc61facfb42c02eb.jpg

The slogan was retired in the 1990s. 

Perhaps the soda became a victim of its own success. The Uncola campaign had so effectively linked to the youth of the 1960s that by the 1990s, it was considered ”what old people drink,” in the words of one financial analyst, “and that’s not what you want in a soft drink.” In 1998, the company finally dropped the Uncola slogan and reinvented its formula. 

2013. Third-place wireless carrier in the United States, T-Mobile sought to differentiate itself from rivals Verizon and AT&T by branding themselves as the Un-Carrier. In a series of phases, the Un-Carrier strategy they introduced, simple, flat pricing that incorporated all extra fees into a what-you-see-is-what-you-get cellular phone bill. They later added various other pro-consumer benefits such as unlimited data, free international roaming, free Netflix, and on Tuesday, free tacos for T-Mobile customers. The T-Mobile CEO, John Legere, appears in public with his signature long  hair, leather jacket, and magenta T-shirt. He hosts cooking shows on Facebook and enjoys using profanity at public events in contrast to his more buttoned-up corporate peers at Verizon and AT&T. 

image.thumb.png.398c675fc89273fb6b04bb4bd427d036.png

2019. The small French company holding the Atari name entered its third year of talking about its upcoming hardware product, originally conceived as a set-top PC for the living room. The original name "AtariBox," obviously lifted from the successful line of Microsoft Xbox consoles, was renamed "Atari VCS" at the start of its 2018 IndieGogo crowdfunding campaign. The original Atari VCS debuted in 1977, just as the Seven-Up Uncola campaign was winding down, and was the first widely popular home video game system. The modern remake uses similar design language, and the company has attempted to leverage the fond feelings of the old machine while claiming that their new offering looks like the old thing, it's actually very modern. The feature list is similar to most other commercially available products, most of which have a significantly lower price. 

image.thumb.png.5a3769c1b2e7668b390246ce597d5126.png

In an effort to de-emphasize the lack of third-party software development  partners, relatively weak performance, and undifferentiated features from other more popular systems, an "Atari" team member began referring to the Atari VCS as "the Un-Console." "We're not competing with them, we're doing our own thing." Unlike 7-Up and T-Mobile, however, "Atari" did not have unique ingredients for their device, nor were they offering exceptional value or features to their customers. The Atari VCS has been delayed numerous times, and as of this writing has not been demonstrated running anything other than a 7-year-old PC game. Only one software title, "Atari Vault" (available elsewhere for less than the price of a taco party pack) has been announced, and its communication representatives have been reluctant to answer specific questions. 

1671626882_ScreenShot2019-06-29at3_27_35PM.thumb.png.e4858e3f7ff3602a47d1deff04e70504.png

I like Seven-Up well enough. The Uncola slogan was cute when I was a child, and my parents appreciated the lack of caffeine. I am a T-Mobile customer, and I like the no-bullshit pricing and the little perks they offer. The "Atari VCS," however? Their appropriation of older, better ideas, brands, and trademarks is pathetic and sad. They even used the Kevlar name for their Walmart edition of their "unconsole," apparently without permission. Never forget that this is the company that went after Kit Kat and Target for their use of very generic Breakout and Pong concepts. They're garbage. Don't support "Atari VCS."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I like Seven-Up well enough. The Uncola slogan was cute when I was a child, and my parents appreciated the lack of caffeine. I am a T-Mobile customer, and I like the no-bullshit pricing and the little perks they offer. The "Atari VCS," however? Their appropriation of older, better ideas, brands, and trademarks is pathetic and sad. They even used the Kevlar name for their Walmart edition of their "unconsole," apparently without permission. Never forget that this is the company that went after Kit Kat and Target for their use of very generic Breakout and Pong concepts. They're garbage. Don't support "Atari VCS."

Also part of the awesome rebooted for the 100th time Atari:

-Tried to supress bad reviews of their crap releases

-Infamously proclaimed the Register "made things up" about the VCS, then got it thrown back in their faces with a recording of the interview.

-Sued Fergal Mac after the crowdfunding promises for the Game Band went up in smoke (mentioned page 500-something in this thread)

-Used a shady crowdfunding scheme to raise money for Rollercoaster Tycoon (they've used pretty much every crowdfunding scheme on the planet now for something)

-Sued an indie developer over the use of the phrase "Haunted House" in a game that had absolutely nothing to do with HH on the 2600.

What games have been attached to the Atari name in recent years also are loaded with problems and get terrible reviews (exceptions being Atari Vault, which was just another quick cash grab that). Look up any of the Haunted House reboots, the Night Driver, Yars Revenge and Star Raiders reboots, Minimum, Rollercoaster Tycoon World...they can't get software right apart from shake-n-bake classic compilations, but we're supposed to believe that they're competent enough to handle a revolutionary home entertainment device. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10464204

Atari has long behaved like an IP & patent troll, but that's totally cool for most Tacobox believers because they're called Atari. 

tenor.gif

• Like 9

I see people complain about this thread, mostly because of the tacos.

Yet, there's a 100% taco-free thread on this board and it's barely ever used.  BORING.

Taco haters, please send your complaints to any email on their site--because they are the ones to whom you should complain about the sparse amount of AVCS information to discuss.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Heck I got blocked from their FB page and was only responding to people talking about games. Told the people about Atari Vault and how Tempest 4000 is suppose to be on it yet there's no Linux port yet. Also reminded them it was the Un-Console. Informed another guy that Battlezone is not an Atari game anymore so don't expect them to have it for the VCS unless he buys it off Steam (All the new ones aren't for Linux either). Guy tried telling me I was wrong and linked to WikiPedia that even said they sold it off. I pointed that out to him too.

If they are that touchy they are boned.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, pacman000 said:

Hey! Ignorance is bliss!

...unless you spend $200 on a product which doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure that's the oppisiate of bliss.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! Hey, did we tell you that the FUN IS BACK for the 90,675th time?

11 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Heck I got blocked from their FB page and was only responding to people talking about games. Told the people about Atari Vault and how Tempest 4000 is suppose to be on it yet there's no Linux port yet. Also reminded them it was the Un-Console. Informed another guy that Battlezone is not an Atari game anymore so don't expect them to have it for the VCS unless he buys it off Steam (All the new ones aren't for Linux either). Guy tried telling me I was wrong and linked to WikiPedia that even said they sold it off. I pointed that out to him too.

That same poor dope probably believes that Atari invented Pac-Man. Heck, the intern taking all the flaming on the social media pages probably does too...

Oh and in regards to Atari being so awesome these days, I forgot one other big thing - remember when they showed up at E3 2014 and showed off a bunch of Atari logos slapped onto tablets and phablets? Yeah, no one else does either.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added a link
  • Like 5

Just now, Shaggy the Atarian said:

It's not a bug, it's a feature! Hey, did we tell you that the FUN IS BACK for the 90,675th time?

That same poor dope probably believes that Atari invented Pac-Man. Heck, the intern taking all the flaming on the social media pages probably does too...

After I pointed out that his link even said he was wrong he was just like. Fine Whatever...

I was just trying to calm down the angry people that were clamoring for games. I would guess it was the Un-console stuff that bothered them.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

i was blocked for pointing out in a post where they asked for pictures that folks couldn't attach them to the post.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

After I pointed out that his link even said he was wrong he was just like. Fine Whatever...

I was just trying to calm down the angry people that were clamoring for games. I would guess it was the Un-console stuff that bothered them.

I do feel bad for Rebellion, in that they are always going to have people erroneously mislabeling their property, but at least the BZ remake sounds like it sold well.

The unconsole thing will be the ultimate un-doing of the VCS...it's supposed to be a major feature, but it's so absurd to think that a majority of buyers are actually going to be jumping through the hoops of installing a Linux OS and properly figuring out all of the nuances to get everything running. You can't even get 100% attach rates or program usage rates on existing platforms, so them going into this assuming that 100% of buyers will be using Sandbox mode and will be able to figure it out, well good luck on that fantasy. Yeah, a few people will, although the "Top Fans" don't strike me as the most technically competent people around...especially those who can't take a few minutes to read a Wikipedia article.

That makes me wonder what kind of crap show we're going to see the moment that people can't figure out how to get anything running on this thing? Tech support for big PC companies is an expensive endeavor, and given how "well" Atari communicates with current fans/investors/buyers, it's going to be quite a sight (to watch from the sidelines).

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added text
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1