IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That makes me wonder what kind of crap show we're going to see the moment that people can't figure out how to get anything running on this thing? Tech support for big PC companies is an expensive endeavor, and given how "well" Atari communicates with current fans/investors/buyers, it's going to be quite a sight (to watch from the sidelines).

Predictions/speculations/educated guesses:

We will never know exactly how well (or poorly) it sells through normal retail now that the relatively transparent crowdfunding stage is over. 

They will outsource support (presumably https://xsolla.com/) and the social media presence will be even further removed from reality.

The company can skate by with know-nothings continuing to assume they're dealing with a real engineering team and a semi-normal product lifecycle. 

We have probably heard from Rob Wyatt for the last time. What little we heard were very preliminary notes which anyone with half a marketing brain would have edited prior to dumping onto Medium. 

The press will dutifully regurgitate press releases and talking points until the thing is finally made available for review. 

The first reviews will be met with excuses and backpedaling, saying it's just a soft launch and that software will mature and evolve as development continues. 

Which it won't. 

• Like 8

This post I put together for the Subreddit basically explains my opinion on the VCS's supposed MSRP, and the fact that a bunch of people downvoted it really shows off how much of an echo chamber that sub can be. All I said was that most other gaming hardware is significantly cheaper, and people got really triggered (I even included the Stadia for some reason. I don't even LIKE the Stadia. I don't think that game streaming is going to be viable until there is 5G Internet, and we won't be there for a few years).

The "All In" Bundle cost doesn't even make any sense by the way. Gamestop sells the 800 base unit, classic controller, and modern controller individually (I couldn't find the controllers on Walmart or Atari, so those prices might be wrong), and guess what. The VCS 800 costs $280. The Classic Controller costs $50. And the Modern controller costs $60. Do the math. Buying every item individually costs the exact same as buying the bundle. Actually, it costs a bit more to buy the bundle than them individually. $59.99 + $49.99 + $279.99 is around $0.02 cheaper than the "All In" Bundle. Isn't the point of buying a bundle to save money? If the VCS actually comes out, I'll probably get it for $120 six months after launch, when it flops embarrassingly hard and Atari is just trying to liquidate inventory and forget this ever happened. I'm sure that it will eventually be sold for less than the cost of the RAM and chipset.

• Like 6

I would not be surprised one bit if the individual pieces were impossible to get except in a bundle. 

If these actually appeared in brick and mortar stores, I'd be tempted to "borrow" (buy and return) one for review purposes. However,

GameStop's return policy isn't great

"Opened new merchandise (including tablets) = identical exchange within 30 days of purchase."

Walmart isn't much better if the item is not in the store but actually a marketplace thing:

"Items purchased from dealers or resellers and not Walmart.com directly are not eligible for return, refund or exchange."

Otherwise, "computers" (which is what the C stands for in this "unconsole") must be returned in 15 days. 

So all you YouTubers and unboxers out there, we are counting on you to speak the truth about this thing when the time is right. 

• Like 3

"Atari" is the kind of company that would steal even more cash and enticing its "victims" thinking it's such a retro thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they listed on the Walmart website as a third party seller until someone complains they didn't get their "unconsole."  Because of IP trolls and how "Atari" blamed others for their horrible concoction of RCT World, I'm embarrassed to even use the name on any future 7800 titles.

1 hour ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Searching for "Atari VCS" on WalMart's site shows what a bad idea the name is.

Controllers:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atari-VCS-Classic-Joystick/988926895

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Atari-VCS-Modern-Controller/774328374

Thanks for finding that, your online shopping skills are better than mine. The Intern at Gamestop seems to have made a mistake BTW... They listed the VCS "All In" Bundle as $379.99, meaning that if you buy from Gamestop, it's actually cheaper than buying everything individually (only $10 cheaper, but $10 is $10). I wonder if anyone has taken advantage of this "sweet deal"... I'm sure that they'll change the website eventually, but then again, they might not. Gamestop probably doesn't care even about this joke of a product from a joke of a company.

But why?  Why do you need to spend this kind of money on something, you already have?  I guess, for you "investment in failed consoles", probably think, this is a god sent.  You seriously have to wait a long time.  They will release this unconsole PC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frankodragon said:

"Atari" is the kind of company that would steal even more cash and enticing its "victims" thinking it's such a retro thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they listed on the Walmart website as a third party seller until someone complains they didn't get their "unconsole."  Because of IP trolls and how "Atari" blamed others for their horrible concoction of RCT World, I'm embarrassed to even use the name on any future 7800 titles.

You need to settle on down with calling the kettle black there Clark.

16 hours ago, digdugnate said:

man, i travel for work over the course of a day and i miss 5 pages of this stuff! lol

+1.   *message to self - Don't NOT check this thread for 3 days!*

Feels like I just watched one of those roller-coaster ride movie thrillers!  I laughed, I cried (laughing), I scratched my head in disbelief, tacos were thrown, there were twists & turns & someone died.  

watchingmovie.gif.27572790f588724c2d1a1f5daf2e030e.gif

Also ... I think I've found some useful AA merch Albert could throw-up on the store.  Will sell like hot cakes .. or should I say hot tacos ... on both sides of the fence! 

'The AtariAge Taco Tissue Box'

tacobox.jpg.af68fa01b940537aa490c80c3ee861e5.jpg

It also looks like the Taco Police are about to pull over BH again, for Drinking & Typing.  Don't know how he still has his typing license! ?

bhdrunk.thumb.JPG.723ff455ec3171ac8f176e22042926e1.JPG

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Mike_2000 said:

Thanks for finding that, your online shopping skills are better than mine. The Intern at Gamestop seems to have made a mistake BTW... They listed the VCS "All In" Bundle as $379.99, meaning that if you buy from Gamestop, it's actually cheaper than buying everything individually (only $10 cheaper, but $10 is $10). I wonder if anyone has taken advantage of this "sweet deal"... I'm sure that they'll change the website eventually, but then again, they might not. Gamestop probably doesn't care even about this joke of a product from a joke of a company.

Gamestop has a good deal there, if I preorder from them I get the console in december, maybe january and they dont bill me until the shipment is processed 

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Spriggy said:

It also looks like the Taco Police are about to pull over BH again, for Drinking & Typing.  Don't know how he still has his typing license! ?

bhdrunk.thumb.JPG.723ff455ec3171ac8f176e22042926e1.JPG

Whenever I read a Brandon Harris post I tell myself he's using a dodgy 10 year old speech to text program, running that through an equally unreliable french to spanish translator, then translating the spanish to english, because I don't want to believe that a human being with that level of language skill would have access to the internet and a credit card.

And since I know someone here is going to ask, yes, I do tell myself the same thing about roughly 3/4 of the internet. It's the only way I can sleep at night.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I assumed "Jessie Scroggins" was a pen name, after some sports person. That FB certainly looks like a fake person, unlike some of the other true believers. 

If these folks are on the payroll, wouldn't they be better coordinated, with better grammar as well? The silly talking points like "un-console" would be repeated more, too. 

It would be fun to try and interview some fans if in fact they're sincere and exist. I think you can guess what questions I would want to ask.