IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I pegged them as staff ages ago. It's pretty damn transparent. It's stuff like this that convinces me they never pre-sold anywhere near 3M of those figments. There are only so many obsessive and afflicted basement dwellers that know or care about the thing. The third party affiliation to Walmart's and GameStop's web channels is just to be able to claim additional/higher numbers without fronting money to IGG, which is all they've ever been after, the appearance of impresssive sales. In truth, this has been another clusterf#$k from start to finish.

• Like 1

Since it is a 3rd party affiliation with GS and Walmart, am I correct in understanding that neither GS and Walmart bear much responsibility if this dumpster fire goes in one blaze of glory?

My bet stills is on GS declaring some sort of bankruptcy before this thing sees the light of day.

• Like 2

Hmm. Mike_2000 touched on something that made me pause.

If these do get shipped to stores, flops, then "Liquidated" what does that really mean?

"sell of all to get proceeds to distribute surpluses among creditors and shareholders"

Liquidation is a means to pay off creditors that are owed, since the creditors are the people who backed this debacle, the only way they would owe anyone is if they contracted out a mass production.

They have to pay people to design it, but those people.. are them! are they inventing a salary for themselves?
why not just pay themselves 2.9million and spend 100k on this box?

the 3 million IS to cover design and development and production of the device. Ultimately if they liquidate they would have to refund all backers! I don't think they can go ever budget unless they are dumping in money from Atari LLC itself

If they liquidate then they are just selling this thing for the price it should have sold for, (adjusted for the markup for the work they put in) but if they fail why should they realize any profits? they are only doing this to bump up a company that exists that has a stock price circling the drain.

I ask again, who are the creditors? (Backers? designers? Indiegogo?)

and what are these people owed?

Backers = a promise to try and deliver on a dream

Indiegogo = follow the rules, make an attempt and MINIMUM UPDATES ON PROGRESS

Designers = get paid for the work they do. (contracted)

Manufactures = get paid for materials and parts

The way I fell about this is Atari team should not get any profits until all backers have a unit in hand, any excess profits should be the units sold AFTER all backers have units, if this sells in stores and online after then they can make as much money as they want, fail as hard as they want, buy as many Tacos as they want.

No way should liquidation be an option, it is basically theft of funds.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

and what are these people owed?

Backers = a promise to try and deliver on a dream

Indiegogo = follow the rules, make an attempt and MINIMUM UPDATES ON PROGRESS

Designers = get paid for the work they do. (contracted)

Manufactures = get paid for materials and parts

The way I fell about this is Atari team should not get any profits until all backers have a unit in hand, any excess profits should be the units sold AFTER all backers have units, if this sells in stores and online after then they can make as much money as they want, fail as hard as they want, buy as many Tacos as they want.

No way should liquidation be an option, it is basically theft of funds.

I agree with everything you said. I ASSume they'll carry through on their promises like this

Backers get their units 3 months before everyone else. "Atari" says December 2019. We'll see. 

Indiegogo gets a cut of the project take. They probably already have this. 

Designers and staff are getting paid out of the 3 million (Moak, Wyatt, Arzt, CPU's mystery man, the terrible mistake man, the social media minions)

Manufacturers won't do anything unless they're paid

Distributors won't be owed anything til the product is ready

I doubt there will be stacks of these unsold at brick and mortar retail. Fred C. has repeatedly expressed that he doesn't want Atari to take on any unnecessary risk. When we see Flashback units in drugstores for 75% off, that's AtGames who produces big hardware runs to save money up front, using cheap components. If "Atari VCS" is worth anything they'll be selling it at somewhere close to their cost. 

The "scam" part is the business plan. This hardware serves no purpose and reeks of failure. But I don't think anyone seriously believes "Atari" will take the money and run. They're just going to deliver a useless turd. When they get around to it. 

• Like 11

16 hours ago, OCAT said:

Hmm. Mike_2000 touched on something that made me pause.

If these do get shipped to stores, flops, then "Liquidated" what does that really mean?

"sell of all to get proceeds to distribute surpluses among creditors and shareholders"

Liquidation is a means to pay off creditors that are owed, since the creditors are the people who backed this debacle, the only way they would owe anyone is if they contracted out a mass production.

Did I misuse the term "liquidate"? Sorry if I did, what I meant was a little different. My thought process for VCS prices was that Atari would manufacture significantly more VCS units than they could sell for $389.99, and all of the Hardware (consoles and controllers alike) would be stuck in a warehouse somewhere costing Atari money while the public loses interest fast. In around 1983, retail stores were selling new 2600 games for around $1 each and Atari threw millions of dollars worth of inventory in a New Mexico landfill because nobody was buying it and they needed to empty the landfill. 1983 was a very different time for the gaming industry, but my point was really that keeping products  in a warehouse costs money-- money that Atari won't make from the VCS, so large discounts would happen just to get rid of unsold units (I don't think that this is some kind of "print on demand" product, so I'm assuming that the VCS will be stored in a warehouse somewhere). To respond to Flojo, I think that there are big markups on VCS hardware. I looked up a generic Xbox controller from PowerA and it costs $30, not $60. I don't know if the CPU, GPU, and RAM are worth $250 all together, but I don't think they are (remember that Atari sold preorders of the "800" model for only $200, so my best guess is that $200 is about what it costs to manufacture a single VCS).

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 9:34 AM, Mike_2000 said:

I don't know if the CPU, GPU, and RAM are worth $250 all together, but I don't think they are (remember that Atari sold preorders of the "800" model for only $200, so my best guess is that $200 is about what it costs to manufacture a single VCS).

What is that? A 25% markup? And it would have to be split between Atari SA & their retailers. They won't make much on a per-unit basis; maybe if it takes off they could make some money, but for it to take off they'd need to advertise it, create good games etc. I can't see that happening; they don't have the money.

• Like 3

It's like a preview of the "Atari VCS," but with Windows, a screen, a pointing device, and lots more storage. Bring your own Atari Vault, which is now on sale for five dollars. 

This $300 Laptop Is Perfect for Your Budget

Acer Aspire 3, 15.6" Laptop (AMD Ryzen 5 2500U, 8GB DDR4 and 1TB HDD) | $300 | Walmart

For the user who only uses their laptop for browsing the web, Netflix and occasionally retweeting the Kardashians, this 15" Acer Aspire 3 is a solid laptop and quite a deal to boot. This $300 laptop packs some pretty mediocre specs (AMD Ryzen 5 2500U, 8GB DDR4 and 1TB HDD) but if you swap in an SSD, this laptop can sing.

So if you’re looking to pick up a laptop for the non-techy person in your life (or want to do some early back-to-school shopping) this is the one to buy.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

It's like a preview of the "Atari VCS," but with Windows, a screen, a pointing device, and lots more storage.

Also has 4 cores with 8 threads and Vega 8.  

Atacobox has 2 cores, 4 threads and Vega 3.

On paper, definitely worth the extra $50--or even $100 over the $199 Indiegogo price.  Plus, get it today instead of Christmas (maybe).  

But no stickin' it to the Man or reviving an old brand.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While looking for the information above, I found this interesting blurb on Notebookcheck.net. I don't think it's been posted but my apologies if it has (emphasis, mine):

Considering the VCS is powered by an AMD Radeon Vega 3 GPU, 4K may be a hard goal to hit. Of course, once the unit is officially released, gamers will be able to see for themselves whether or not the VCS can really play games at 4K.

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2019 at 6:31 PM, Mike_2000 said:

This post I put together for the Subreddit basically explains my opinion on the VCS's supposed MSRP, and the fact that a bunch of people downvoted it really shows off how much of an echo chamber that sub can be. All I said was that most other gaming hardware is significantly cheaper, and people got really triggered (I even included the Stadia for some reason. I don't even LIKE the Stadia. I don't think that game streaming is going to be viable until there is 5G Internet, and we won't be there for a few years).

Photo needs more exposure:

TacoBox.png

• Like 9

Maybe it does "4K gaming" in a similar manner to how the Atari Jaguar was 64-bit. Like with streaming 4K video on what happens to be a gaming box. We all know that these doods have shown extreme flexibility and creativity in giving out details. For illustration only. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Maybe it does "4K gaming" in a similar manner to how the Atari Jaguar was 64-bit. Like with streaming 4K video on what happens to be a gaming box. We all know that these doods have shown extreme flexibility and creativity in giving out details. For illustration only. 

Having Stella run at 4K resolution should be doable, right? Ergo, we fulfilled our promise!

(although I could swear that they were backtracking on 4K gaming stuff and moving the goalposts to just "4K streaming")

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

It's like a preview of the "Atari VCS," but with Windows, a screen, a pointing device, and lots more storage. Bring your own Atari Vault, which is now on sale for five dollars. 

This $300 Laptop Is Perfect for Your Budget

2 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Also has 4 cores with 8 threads and Vega 8.  

Atacobox has 2 cores, 4 threads and Vega 3.

On paper, definitely worth the extra $50--or even $100 over the $199 Indiegogo price.  Plus, get it today instead of Christmas (maybe).  

But no stickin' it to the Man or reviving an old brand.  

That's not a bad little machine for the money, and 512 gig SSD have come down in price quite a bit... even 1 TB isn't too bad (what I paid for those drives several years ago.... yikes)