IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On 7/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, CPUWIZ said:

My company stock just went up by more than 4 times than what Atari's is worth, today. :P

Now, I am really getting pissed, my company stock just went up by another buck. ?

they exist 

(unlike the 5 atari branded cel phones, that retro handheld thing from 2015, the atari branded game band which was a scam, and entering its 3rd year of development the atacobox)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Mr. Video said:

I don't think anybody pointed this out and I didn't notice it until now, but the Ataribox thread is two years old!

happy birthday party hard GIF

Here's to another year of tacos, Speakerhats, and release delays!

Another year of tacos is a good thing. Remember, tacos are eternal. The AtariBox is not.

I wonder of this will be still be going two years from now and at we will be posting? This has me thinking of Bill Maher's future titles on Real Time whenever he takes a long break.

Jan 1 2020. Atari SA announced another delay for the Atari VCS in a switch to AMD's Raven Ridge Architecture.

June 1 2020 Another controller issue trips up the release of the Atari VCS

June 12, 2020 More secret meetings by Atari SA at a Motel 6 near E3 reveal scant details about the further delays.

September 1 2020 In response to an announcement of yet another anoucement by Atari SA, the AtariAge web site is temporarily overwhelmed by a flood of new taco meme posts.

December 1 2020 Indiegogo backers rejoice at the news the console will be in their hands by December 31st 2020.

January 2021 Another delay for the Atari SA as the upgrade to (insert what ever architecture is two years old) to allow for 5k video at 15 fps.

July 2021. AtariAge users celebrate the four year anniversary of "New Atari Console that Ataribox?" thread by throwing a huge taco party.

(wash, rinse, repeat for another two years)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, cybercylon said:

I wonder of this will be still be going two years from now and at we will be posting?

I think "Atari" gets a lot more out of the tease than actually delivering hardware. The upcoming Atari VCS can be whatever the dreamers want it to be in their imagination, it's pure potential which can be very exciting. Before launch, there's always some degree of plausible deniability, maybe it will surprise us, maybe they're smarter than they look, one never knows. 

Delivering the real thing won't be nearly as sexy, because all the limitations will be laid bare, and the few hardware reviews will rip into the obvious shortcomings. I say few reviews because it won't be widely available or desirable, and "Atari" seems unlikely to send out free review units. Most game or tech sites won't bother with it. Software support, even if it starts semi-strong, will dry up and the thing will be forgotten. If they're lucky, it might remain as a joke much like the Pippin, Jaguar or Ouya. 

Alternatively, they could stretch out the tease with delays and excuses as you facetiously suggest. This might actually be less destructive to what's left of their brand and reputation, especially if they can settle with the "backers" from the IndieGogo campaign who actually put up money. I think the tease has gone sour but the project is obscure enough that not everyone has been able to think this through sufficiently to question the idea that "Atari is back."

In nerd press today, yet another nice article about Intellivision Amico that takes a little (well-deserved) swipe at "Atari" along the way. 

The Intellivision Amico is Real and its Goals Are Commendable

While I’m still confused towards the appeal of what something like the Atari VCS is, the Intellivision Amico does not run into that problem, even if it doesn’t match up with some hardcore gamers’ tastes.

• Like 5

I'm guessing in two years people will be returning their Atacoboxes (which you all know they're vaporware renders or possibly plastic with lead to weigh them down) to Gamestop for trade and the only significant value they get back are probably enough to buy bargain bin titles Wii Fit and RockBand...if they haven't tossed them in the dumpster already.

• Like 3

On 7/2/2019 at 10:55 AM, BigO said:

To be fair, I can see how that mistake could be made looking backward through time and seeing the console bittedness going back through the generations of 64-bit, 32-bit, 16-bit, 8-bit...4-bit would be a natural assumption in the regression of the series to an earlier time in history.  Current day Atari is even contributing to that flawed thought process. I mean, look how they are exploiting the "retro" concept to arrive at this 2-bit offering.

I made that mistake once when I was 5 or 6 years old. I can remember having a "Bit Wars" conversation with my friend while we were playing something on the 800XL and "logically" concluded that because the other consoles looked better than the 2600, it must be "4-bit."

I am surprised that Ataco hasn't been whipping out bitness again, since it seems like the kind of thing that they would do. I half expect them to come up with something akin to Blast Processing to cover up the next delay of the Box.

Oh, these Atari ass clowns definitely have Blast Processing.....

giphy.gif

Meanwhile, back at the GameBand camp....Fragle Mac's fastidious backers are still at it...

Martin Cantwell7 days ago

I invoke my rights under Kickstarter's Terms of Use:

https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use/oct2012

"Project Creators are required to fulfil all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfil."

I demand an immediate full refund for my pledge amount.

tenor.gif?itemid=42656547657402.gif

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

@Shaggy the Atarian

By that logic, the Tank consoles would be 2-bit, and Pong would be 1-bit. 

This reminds me of the very tired old joke about Microsoft

Windows 95/98, (n): 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprossessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

@Shaggy the Atarian

By that logic, the Tank consoles would be 2-bit, and Pong would be 1-bit. 

This reminds me of the very tired old joke about Microsoft

If I ran into myself at that age, I probably would have assumed that :P Then an adult could set me straight.

I first remember questioning the whole bit premise when I heard arguing about the Genesis and SNES, but sitting at my house was a 16-bit TI/99-4A computer, which had games that certainly didn't look like what you saw on those two, but I knew it was 16-bit. 

• Haha 3

A related "interpolation" thing that really bugs me is the use of "second party" as a special video game development term. Nintendo said something about the third-party developers of Metroid Prime being so close they were almost a first party (in-house) developer, and some dipshit called it "second party" as in the place between 1 and 3. When in English and law and logic and common sense and anything else, the second party would be the consumer, not a developer at all. It pisses me off to no end. It grinds my gears nearly as much as the ineptitude on display with the "AtariBox" project. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Sorry but this has to be said...

ragecomic.png?1311384677

"Well the 2600 must be 4-bit since it only has half the power of a NES..."

Now that's Nintendo Logic right there. :roll:

Edited by MrMaddog

Atari would be better off developing a transistor level FPGA of the original VCS--and using the extra horsepower to add optional expanded capabilities and customization to the VCS hardware for new games.  (If done properly, an expanded design could host some amazing software.)

Furthermore, owning the IP for a proper transistor level implementation of the 6502 would leave the door open for developing other machines.

But, that's hard work and this is about grift.

• Like 1