IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

9 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Whoa, I didn't realize the Shenmue III kickstarter raised over $6.3 million. 

Shenmue III’s launch is going to be a mess

(that's more than 2X the funds raised for "AtariBox")

I remember the Shenmue III crowdfunding campaign. It broke Kickstarter's site

Although the original Kickstarter reached many stretch goals, Ys Net also clarified that some promised features were cut, while other goals that were never reached will be implemented. 

Yikes! That precisely why I don't bother throwing money at crowdfunding campaigns anymore (Only crowdfunding I like and that i'm ok with is board games but that's a whole other topic and can of worms) They can literally say anything and everything they want in their Kickstarter video to get people to throw money their way and lie to their heart's extent, yet have no obligation or anything to follow through on their promises. and won't face any consequences in any way.  Reminds me when that Julie Uhrman lady in the Ouya Kickstarter video lies and says Minecraft is going to be on it. Yet it never came and months after it released people were angry because they bought it just to play Minecraft. She just said that to sucker people to pledge money towards it. (Not sure why you would buy an Ouya to play Minecraft and I would assume anybody that was a Minecraft fan before the Ouya crowdfunding campaign launched already owned a device capable of playing it, but I digress...)

Edited by Pink

1 hour ago, thanatos said:

I thought you just ripped carts and made homebrews.  :D

For fun, I do that, true. And also make hardware, to realize other peoples dreams of creating something. Bob challenged me, with BBCQ, so there you have it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Has nobody else mentioned this yet??

Some Taco Bell restaurant face tortilla shortages

Forget Atari... what if this is the beginning of a WORLDWIDE TORTILLA CRISIS?? RUN TO THE STORE NOW!!! STOCK UP ON TORTILLAS AND HOARD THEM!!!

It's everyone for themselves!! It's... TACOGEDDON!!!

tacogeddon.thumb.jpg.6e70227583bb0949dd269589457e6e49.jpg

Actually... that looks like it might be kinda tasty.

Nevermind.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nathan Strum said:

Has nobody else mentioned this yet??

Some Taco Bell restaurant face tortilla shortages

Forget Atari... what if this is the beginning of a WORLDWIDE TORTILLA CRISIS?? RUN TO THE STORE NOW!!! STOCK UP ON TORTILLAS AND HOARD THEM!!!

It's everyone for themselves!! It's... TACOGEDDON!!!

tacogeddon.thumb.jpg.6e70227583bb0949dd269589457e6e49.jpg

Fun Fact: Tonight Show Johnny ? (for you whipper snappers who don't know the hell I'm talking about, google it) back in 1973 made a comment about a toilet paper shortage as a joke.  But people took it very seriously.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I was about to refer to the chicken shortage at KFC last year, but the CNN article already mentioned it.

Perhaps this is a new thing in the business world, to run out of your base ingredient. In that case Atari seem to doing everything right, assuming they're short of games for the new console. Just as expected really.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Similar to the current incarnation of RKO: 

"The company seeks out additional distribution and co-financing ventures for new productions as well as for sequels, remakes and live stage productions based upon its library of titles."

http://rko.com

"RKO is one of the oldest continuously operating movie studios, and occupies a unique place in the history of film making."

Funny, I thought they stopped making movies in the 60's; that does give them a unique position: they were the 1st of the Big 5 to shut down.

They are still better than Atari SA; they've actually helped produce a few things.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, pacman000 said:

Similar to the current incarnation of RKO: 

"The company seeks out additional distribution and co-financing ventures for new productions as well as for sequels, remakes and live stage productions based upon its library of titles."

http://rko.com

"RKO is one of the oldest continuously operating movie studios, and occupies a unique place in the history of film making."

Funny, I thought they stopped making movies in the 60's; that does give them a unique position: they were the 1st of the Big 5 to shut down.

They are still better than Atari SA; they've actually helped produce a few things.

Which brings up something I've wondered about.  Let's say the name and marks of a certain abandoned company were to go for sale.  Someone bought them, but didn't want the marks to fall into the hands of Fre...  I mean , some "Ne'er do well." Could something be done to actually kill the brand, or will it always exist?

EDIT: As far as RKO, they were a record company well into the 70's, and I think early 80's

Edited by Inky
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Inky said:

Which brings up something I've wondered about.  Let's say the name and marks of a certain abandoned company were to go for sale.  Someone bought them, but didn't want the marks to fall into the hands of Fre...  I mean , some "Ne'er do well." Could something be done to actually kill the brand, or will it always exist?

I don't know; a brand is just a word, a mark. I'm sure you could put whatever trademarks  which represented the brand into the public domain, but I don't think you could just take it off the market. Continued use is necessary to keep a trademark current; stop using a mark long enough & someone else can claim it.

(I'm not a lawyer; this is not legal advice. We'd need a lawyer well versed in IP law to say exactly what you could do.)

• Like 2

For good reason. Suppose Mr. Mcgregor starts a farm. It thrives for awhile, but eventually things change, & the farm must shut down. A decade or so later, another farmer moves to town, also named Mcgregor. Should he be barred from using the name Mcgregor's Farm? No; the old farm is long gone. Even if someone remembers it, they won't associate the new farm with the old.

• Like 1

This is different... This is more like someone bought Mcgregor's old land, & someone who hasn't been in town a long time comes back & thinks Mcgregor still owns it.

There's little harm if the new owner produces the same quality produce, but if they're just talking about how great their farm is while producing nothing, then we have a problem. But only for a little while; eventually word will get out that new owners have taken over & that the farm's crops aren't any good anymore.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pacman000 said:

For good reason. Suppose Mr. Mcgregor starts a farm. It thrives for awhile, but eventually things change, & the farm must shut down. A decade or so later, another farmer moves to town, also named Mcgregor. Should he be barred from using the name Mcgregor's Farm? No; the old farm is long gone. Even if someone remembers it, they won't associate the new farm with the old.

6 hours ago, pacman000 said:

This is different... This is more like someone bought Mcgregor's old land, & someone who hasn't been in town a long time comes back & thinks Mcgregor still owns it.

There's little harm if the new owner produces the same quality produce, but if they're just talking about how great their farm is while producing nothing, then we have a problem. But only for a little while; eventually word will get out that new owners have taken over & that the farm's crops aren't any good anymore.

Interesting analogy Pac.  Now if we apply that to Atari ...............

Atarifarm.thumb.jpg.67d2deb82bbeedb43e9ce0634b2eb76a.jpg

- Farm Bushnell sells the latest quality meat and produce, with stock flying out the door.

- Farm Chesnais doesn't quite understand the concept of a profitable and efficient farm, selling lemonade and faux-woodgrain laminate sheets.  No signs of real animals or farm produce anywhere.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

- Farm Chesnais doesn't quite understand the concept of a profitable and efficient farm, selling lemonade and faux-woodgrain laminate sheets.  No signs of real animals or farm produce anywhere.

It's not that Farmer Chesnais doesn't understand the concept, it's that he'd rather make a quick buck by selling magic beans to rubes than actually grow crops.

• Like 3