IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

11 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

A cartridge slot won't get enough use to justify the expense. Most VCS buyers don't have a collection of original carts to play and most people with a collection of original carts aren't interested in the VCS (and adding one won't change our minds).

Plus, adding a 2600 slot but no Jag slot is just gonna piss off the Jag fans.

I mean a new propriety slot or use a raid or pci express as a cartridge slot. It would allow games physical media. You could potentially have system up grades like more ram new gpu. Like SNES fx chip type but like you could run a 2nd Radeon chip in cross-fire / sli . 

Off the shelf AMD laptop boards slapped in a plastic box don't have cartridge slots. Ipso Facto, a cartridge slot is not an option. To alleviate further confusion, please see the list of other items that are not included with off the shelf boards:

• Games
  • Developer support
  • Did I mention Games?
  • Keyboards
  • Games
  • Mouse
  • A clue

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

Remember that, according to "Atari" themselves, the target audience for "that Ataribox?" is the moms who can't figure out the Netflix.  They'll never be able to manage RAID or an expansion card; even a simple cartridge slot would be a stretch.

... and you do NOT want to be around when that happens!

I was referring to its own slot to play Atari box only new games. For dah collectors and when the store front fails.  Also physical media is easier to deal with to hen menu navigation. Plug and play or auto play. 

1 hour ago, jaybird3rd said:

Remember that, according to "Atari" themselves, the target audience for "that Ataribox?" is the moms who can't figure out the Netflix.  They'll never be able to manage RAID or an expansion card; even a simple cartridge slot would be a stretch.

That's what Michael "Pantsed" Arzt said, but Rob "Femur" Wyatt has other hopes and dreams

A platform holder really needs to be a neutral party to eliminate political or competitive reasons for restricting content. Too many times a good third party game has been rejected or delayed simply because there is similar content coming out from a first party team. A developer should never have to compete with the platform holder, the public should decide which game they want to buy and that is only possible on an open and neutral platform. It’s also not unheard of that a platform holder restricts some type of service or media formats because they have their own competing formats.

In the grand scheme of things, there is no reason why a console cannot be neutral, open and secure at the same time. A more modern business model ensures all parties can be successful.

In other words, if you want something, make it yourself. It's a PC with USB, ethernet, and wifi. Go nuts. 

1 hour ago, Kalani said:

I mean a new propriety slot or use a raid or pci express as a cartridge slot. It would allow games physical media. You could potentially have system up grades like more ram new gpu. Like SNES fx chip type but like you could run a 2nd Radeon chip in cross-fire / sli . 

You do realize that the long-delayed, under-communicated "Atari VCS 2019 2020" is basically an off-the-shelf all-in-one PC board in a somewhat cute (if derivative) case and a lightly modified Linux kernel, right? They're not going to be designing custom silicon and this isn't going to be a high-powered device. 

58 minutes ago, Kalani said:

I was referring to its own slot to play Atari box only new games. For dah collectors and when the store front fails.  Also physical media is easier to deal with to hen menu navigation. Plug and play or auto play. 

Every time anyone asks them about games, they look the other way or change the subject. "We're not a traditional console" and vague talk of "freedom." What you are asking for isn't going to happen. The "collectors" will need to content themselves with the plastic artifacts and you're correct to use "when the store front fails" rather than "if." 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I think they should let us back in!

Considering what others are posting, I can't believe I got banned so fast. I think demanding a refund and being a pest on the IGG page was taken into account.

Plus we know they follow this forum so I'm sure the intern could connect the dots.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

They should take Biff up on his offers of exclusive garbage games, then change the VCS name to the Infogrames BiffBox. 

I'm not an artist or graphics expert, but I know what I (don't) like, and there's something very off-putting about his stuff. His not-Pitfall game reminds me of this. 

giphy.gif

It's like so many titles in the Atari Jaguar library. It can sound fine on paper, or with all the buzzwords and check boxes, but when something isn't quite right, you can tell. 

• Like 9

dishonest.JPG.6d76afcb383423564bb6b8c2a39c0e18.JPG

chesnais.jpg.d43b97464f484e8262716376ef484e1d.jpg

"Old French".  Fitting.

JP.JPG.f4ae155974cc5d5881fa815b41fecd17.JPG

badumtss.gif.f953f972c5225e15a1ba96b5368a06cc.gif

What the?  Is this really JP making a clever-ish comment?

Nevermind.  Look's like BH has taken the slack for Team JP.

BH.thumb.JPG.86a4fa41f30ac526ac260728abbd1c72.JPG

whatsyourpoint.gif.e1f9b43e8a13a2fc6b352406fe1c9e80.gif

AR.thumb.JPG.a7b821b193c61dcb46bacdc4420ae7ff.JPG

Buy a Raspberry Pi instead of an Atari VCS.

panic.gif.5c70ed1c5bb56dc1fdb4f32c6bf7edd4.gif

On a side note ...

Atari Biopic to Undergo Tokenization through tZERO and Vision Tree

Nice research there Mr Stoner.  A biopic movie on Bushnell and the REAL Atari .... with a pic of the currently NOT-REAL Unconsole and Uncontrollers. 

welldone.gif.8a93f083e1e2019111ba991dc9d6f89b.gif

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I'm not an artist or graphics expert, but I know what I (don't) like, and there's something very off-putting about his stuff. His not-Pitfall game reminds me of this. 

giphy.gif

It's like so many titles in the Atari Jaguar library. It can sound fine on paper, or with all the buzzwords and check boxes, but when something isn't quite right, you can tell. 

It's Sanic Hegehog.  All it needs now is that earrape tune.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spriggy said:

AR.thumb.JPG.a7b821b193c61dcb46bacdc4420ae7ff.JPG

Buy a Raspberry Pi instead of an Atari VCS.

panic.gif.5c70ed1c5bb56dc1fdb4f32c6bf7edd4.gif

In fairness, I get tired of people saying "Buy a raspberry pi" on threads about the different mini consoles.   There's something about the plug and play consoles, I just enjoy.   I guess it's just the look of the old systems, and the feeling of the controllers.  Nostalgia sells.

Which is why I'm confused about who exactly the new VCS is meant for.  There's  no nostalgia for this hardware, and the classic games have been released continuously over the decades.  Assuming this thing actually does what Atari says it will...who cares?  About the only cool thing it has going for it is that 2600 style controller.   Why not just release that for modern systems so people can use it with their classic games and call it a day?

Edited by Agillig
Edit the quoted post.
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

They should take Biff up on his offers of exclusive garbage games, then change the VCS name to the Infogrames BiffBox. 

That would be more appropriate.

Well, you can stream videos on the Atari, and Biff was the first person to ever talk about video games in front of a camera... CLEARLY THEY'VE BEEN PLANNING this for decades!!

• Haha 4

PDiddles wants that $1 stock price, bad.

Considering that when he posted in Reddit he invested "tens of thousands" in Atari stock, I can see why.  He'd double--nearly triple--his investment. 

If getting that dolla-bill stock means wearing a silly hat and pumping up a company he admits have been inept, then so be it.

Just don't call him a shill. ?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Well, that number could explode once the obvious dumpster fire is visible to all except the most stubborn of pigeons, but the comments won't be the kind that Atari SA will want.

Possible they (ATARI SA) don't give two hoots about what people will think.