IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

<Takei voice> Oh, my. Go see the whole thing in context, I'm only going to quote the "Atari" rep. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AtariVCS/comments/cdq9pc/hey_atari_vcs_team/

Atari_VCS_Official

Atari VCS Team

3 points·2 days ago

I've passed along your information that you sent over - expect a response soon!

Sincerely sorry about longer response times -- we have been SO busy on the project, GAMES and otherwise :)

But they have nothing to show ... 

Atari_VCS_Official

Atari VCS Team

0 points·2 days ago

Our team is doing their best to get back to everyone. Truly!

"Believe me!"

Here's some more. Emphasis is mine. 

Atari_VCS_Official

Atari VCS Team

-2 points·2 days ago

Hey Dubs,

Thanks for sharing this. You're really going to make me go to that forum on this beautiful Tuesday afternoon, aren't you? ;)

As always - I understand the frustration! As I've mentioned before, there are numerous reasons why we can't just open the information floodgates on social media, or anywhere else for that matter. Here's a couple points:

When we have a large announcement, we typically go through PR to get it out to press first. When this happens, that information is on lockdown until an exact date and time.

Due to the nature of the project, there are a lot of moving parts. Many of which are subject to change. I know it seems simple to just say we are working with X amount of developers, but there's more to it than that. We will announce that information when the time is right.

In regards to games/software - we want to have all the details regarding the SDK available for you guys. Soon.

Games announcements - Soon.

As for hands-on demos -- that was the whole purpose of E3 :) We had several editors from top tier outlets such as Variety, Digital Trends, Tom's Hardware, and several more on-site -- all of whom went hands-on and got to try the system AND the controllers.

As for our social media presence, I understand folks would love every post to be some big, groundbreaking news, but that's not realistic. After the VCS social channels were dormant for so long, I am more concerned with keeping engagement up and interacting with the community, answering questions, providing resources, etc. Can't please everyone, but I'm trying!

It would be more entertaining (and possibly more informative) if this person just went on the offensive and started name-calling and providing false claims lying like good old Michael Arzt did to The Register.

I think this next bit is the longest string of contiguous text posted by the social media minions outside of the Medium posts. Again the bold is mine for emphasis. 

Atari_VCS_Official

Atari VCS Team

0 points·2 days ago·edited 2 days ago

Hey! Thanks for coming over here to touch base. Appreciate that! So, I want to touch on all of what you've brought up, so bear with me. First, I'd like to point out that many of the "red flags" you're noticing are all normal aspects of product development. The difference here i that this has been crowdfunded project and our backers and, really, our entire audience has been privy to what's going on from the start. Think about what a typical launch from other systems looks like:

Announcement

Teasers

Game/Exclusive announcements

Launch date

Launch. Typically, you don't experience the development period is the fashion that has been laid out with the VCS, which has its positive and negatives from a community perspective. We've released numerous official announcements, plus all of the developments blogs on our Medium profile (a new one coming very soon!)

The information you've mentioned isn't a "secret" in the sense that it's never going to be announced. It's going to be announced. There is a protocol for this type of thing, as I've explained in several other posts in different threads on here. I totally understand the concern and frustration, and it's hard to backtrack and think of this from a different perspective, I do understand.

As for gameplay/UI footage, that's not my call to make, nor is it something I can just dish out to everyone who asks. It's something that is being worked on, and will likely be an official announcement via PR, not something I can share until that date and time it would be released. Once I can start teasing an announcement, I surely will.

We are actively working with developers and response has been overwhelmingly positive! It's been an exciting, busy time. We encourage any developer with questions or inquiries to reach out to dev@atari.com. All developer inquiries will be responded to in due time. All SDK information will also be officially announced, so nothing I can reveal there either.

I understand much of this is the opposite of what you want to hear, but it is simply the current state that we're in in the development lifecycle. Due to the past obstacles, a level of skepticism is understandable. I just hope you are pleasantly surprised with the launch. :) Keep an eye out for another development blog, too.

Lots of unsupported opinions, pleas to hang in there and wait, trust them, and so on. What a terrible job, in every sense of the word -- both a shit gig to have, as well as terrible performance at it.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Atari was also suing Sunfrog for trademark infringement.  https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/25357921/Atari_Interactive,_Inc_v_SunFrog,_LLC

I'm looking it up now. Looks like it was T-shirts, and that Sunfrog got a "slew" (their word) of copyright complaints. They probably thought Atari was dead. Sunfrog moved to dismiss, Atari wasn't having it. Court documents are attached, in the form of Atari's initial complaint, as well as their response when Sunfrog moved to dismiss. Find someone to love you the way Atari loves that smelly old PONG trademark. 

It's directly relevant to the subject of this thread, because they're using the "success" of the crowdfunded "console" as a legal cudgel. They wouldn't have been able to do that if it were just a normal product that failed to find an audience at retail. Seriously, fsck these guys and all of their backers, right in the cartridge slot. 

Atari has developed, promoted, and distributed new interactive entertainment and products, including a new VCS console (modeled off the design of the original 2600 unit) that is currently being promoted and pre-sold on Indiegogo and that has already raised more than $2.5 million in a matter of days:

Oh, am I being too harsh? Look what Atari demands:

SunFrog's acts were committed, and continue to be committed, with actual notice of Atari's exclusive rights and with the intent to cause confusion, to

cause mistake, and/or to deceive, and to cause injury to the reputation and goodwill associated with Plaintiff and its products. Pursuant to 15 U.S.C. section 1117, Atari is, therefore, entitled to recover three times its actual damages or three times SunFrog's profits, whichever is greater, together with its attorneys' fees. Atari is also entitled to statutory damages of $2 million per registered mark.

Your mom was right! Being a lawyer *is* more profitable than making video games! And that's just for the counterfeit claim. For copyright infringement, 

Atari is entitled to actual damages and SunFrog's profits, in an amount to be proven at trial. Alternatively, Atari is entitled to statutory damages in an amount no less than $150,000 per copyright. SunFrog's acts have caused and will continue to cause irreparable harm to Atari unless restrained by this Court. Atari has no adequate remedy at law.

Here are the counterfeit goods in question. Atari says they were were hurt and Sunfrog profited. I wonder how many of these were actually printed?

381022751_ScreenShot2019-07-19at4_14_20PM.thumb.png.e0f4115f17d4b7545b773fe1fad67899.png

1688254127_ScreenShot2019-07-19at4_14_28PM.thumb.png.5b8fc7c04f34c290257e77ce69d948a0.png

I'm sure Atari has legal footing here, they've done this again and again and I wouldn't be surprised if it were a large part of their bottom line (or at least keeps the lawyers fat and happy). But ... yecch. 

Atari opposition to motion to dismiss.pdf

Atari complaint exhibits.pdf Atari complaint.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Interesting, so it looks like any likeness of their IP they freak out about, although a brief search of registered, active trademarks do not show any of their consoles apart from the "Ataribox." Certainly not the Lynx or other consoles. Their logo I totally understand and didn't use (apart from the tiny bit that would have been visible at the bottom of the Lynx, but since I'd seen Sega and Nintendo stuff with the logos on there, didn't think much of it), and wouldn't bother with a straight up Atari logo shirt anyways. But yeah, I'll echo this: "fsck these guys and all of their backers, right in the cartridge slot. "

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been inspired to sell and buy as much counterfeit Atari merch as I can now.

As I am wont to say on Pie Factory Podcast..

"Screw you in the ass with a chainsaw."

Edited by Inky
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, JBerel said:

So who's up for a T-shirt design contest. Best disparaging remark about these Atari ass clowns wins. I'll just stick  with...a VCS ii picture and the phrase, "F#@k Atari in the Neck." on a field of Asteroids.

Quick job on the phone but you get the idea.

20190719_163834.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

I wouldn't doubt Biff used a pirated version of Fusion 2.5 to make his Pitfall clone.

He's telling everyone how great Unity is, especially how it can export out to multiple target platforms, so he's probably using one of the prefab engines in that environment. 

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/corgi-engine-2d-2-5d-platformer-26617

or

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/rex-engine-classic-2d-platformer-engine-92333

seem like possibilities. 

For any aspiring game-makers who dream of making a clone called "Jungles of Notheria", here are some art assets to go with @Flojomojo's finds, above:

On 8/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, PlaysWithWolves said:

The trouble with using a $16 pixel art pack and a free character sprite pack is that there's bound to be other entrepreneurs with similar ideas. I'm not necessarily against using art packs but they, along with tools like Unity 2D and Gamemmaker Pro, were the reason for a glut of mediocre-to-awful Indie games. I'm not saying your game falls in that range; just that it's a danger. A pit to avoid, so-to-speak.

Gameplay is king, but at least your main character(s?) should probably be custom designed by your artist.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TACODON said:

In positive Atacobox news I had a taco from Burger King today. ?

mmm beef flavored paste in a taco shelll dipped in the fry machine

actually the one I had was pretty gross for a taco, buck twenty five I can get one from the taco stand down the street where only one person speaks english and its real deal mexico city style 

and I have better confidence there, the EMS ambulance drivers are always there chowing down like mad, if the people saving your life are a regular at a place its probably a good bet the food is safe (much like the "sketchy" looking BBQ place that the fire fighters go to once or more a week) 

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1