IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

3 hours ago, D Train said:

Is vector asteroids atari, atari games, or atari SA?

I like the vector asteroids shirt and was thinking about getting one (I like to take my fashion cues from ZPH).

In theory, as a coin-op, is that still be in play?

so confusing!

What Flojomojo said in his post (not the one I'll be quoting here below) :P 

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Talk about a stretch (this is Fred Chesnais, the rooster taking credit for the sun coming up):

I can think of at least one other observable difference between then and now.

25948742-background-of-wood-chip-mulch.thumb.jpg.3650ff48764b2a0665eed566777f7e14.jpg

Sounds like Fred has never heard of an arcade game as he tries to define what Atari games are.

And "more and more popular?" *Snort* Is that why every reboot the company has attempted to do over the past decade (Haunted House x3, Yars Revenge, Star Raiders, Asteroids, Night Driver) have been badly reviewed flops?

"Popular" at Atari:

tenor.gif?itemid=14144099

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added quotes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Atarolith.jpg.0947a13af25dba826ab1baaeaf629c42.jpg

4 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Also, for a company who claims they don't credit nostalgia with their resurgence and are making an "un-console', they sure like their nostalgia and old Atari consoles.

I was going to do a "Flojo" and break down Fred's replies, but I don't think I could do him any justice.  Hence, I'll just post my thoughts ....

poowalking.gif.c5a76b427190758c324753d38f34e0d3.gif

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Only kinda confusing. I think we talked about this very topic more than once in this thread already! Short version:

1. Everything up to 1984, plus home consoles and computers: Atari Corp, which is what Atari SA holds today.

<snip>

oh, duh, OF COURSE.

Honestly, between all the tacos, it's hard for me to keep track of this stuff.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Disclaimer: the Hoff, Shat, and Fat Elvis are unaffiliated with the amateur shitshow colloquially known as "AtariBox."

1 hour ago, pacman000 said:

It's not armature; they were paid to do this. O_o

You're talking about definition 1, but I am referring to definition 2. 

1157642049_Screenshot2019-07-24at4_10_23PM.thumb.png.dfdf4933625b9f8c5f8fa5f3153cb73e.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TACODON said:

My question is, what will we all do in a year or so when the big top finally collapses on this circus? It has to implode at some point.

the next set of fools will croudfund the amstrad asshat

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JBerel said:

I really don't see this going much beyond the people they conned into pre-ordering. The won't get any retail shelf space, and it's been nothing but another hyped pc in a box.

I could possibly see a tiny bit of space. Honestly, the big thing is going to see how the UI develops from December to March. I would assume that would be Atari's definition of a community that helps.

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

It will just fade away, like a fart in the wind. 

Except the tacos. The love of tacos will always remain. We have all learned good things like children should be told that tacos are valid any day of the week, that you can have soft tacos, hard shell tacos, walking tacos all on the same plate. Mild tacos, spicy tacos, spicy hot tacos that will melt your teeth are all valid tacos.

Edited by cybercylon
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, TACODON said:

I for one can't wait to not get my paperweight in December. I guess I could always donate the thing if I ever even get it. I fully expect backers to get it last or not at all.

you should totally turn around and flip it to one of the fans for double what you paid!  :D

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/23/2019 at 2:47 PM, Flojomojo said:

Rollercoaster Tycoon is not an Atari holding, but they license it a lot and if the rights holder switched teams, Atari would be in even more financial trouble than they are now.  

Really? Infogrames has published every Roller Coaster Tycoon game and rerelease since 2001. I always assumed that they purchased the IP at around that time. I seriously don't understand why the actual owners would alllow Infogrames to make RCT 4 Mobile and RCT 3D and RCT Touch and RCT Adventures and RCT Joyride and RCT World (literally the only  "official" RCT Games to come out in the past 15 years are mobile ports of RCT1, 2, and 3). The value of the Roller Coaster Tycoon brand has been systematically devalued by Infogeames in the past 10 years. If the rights holders cared, why wouldn't they give the license to someone who loves the series, like Frontier Developments (developers of RCT Xbox, the RCT2 Expansion Packs, RCT3 and its Expansion Packs, Zoo Tycoon 2013, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, and Planet Zoo)? Is RCT World really that much of a moneymaker?

• Like 1

Answering my own confusion.

Chris Sawyer: I own the RollerCoaster Tycoon IP and Trademarks, and the rights to create and market new RollerCoaster Tycoon games are licensed to Atari Interactive.

Taken from a 2016 interview.

Apparently Chris has the power to take RCT away from Infogrames, but he it seems that he stopped caring and took a hands-off approach after he released RCT2, which he considers to be his original vision perfectly actualized. It's a shame, because even though Infogrames has published the RCT Series for the past 18 years, Chris Sawyer and Frontier Developments have made all 3 good games in the series, so Frontier should be the ones to take over the series if Chris doesn't care anymore.

Also, this article mentioned Origin8, Chris's company which he used to port Transport Tycoon and RCT2 to mobile devices. Did you know that Infogrames listed Origin8 as a Tacobox developer back during the Indiegogo days? I wonder if Chris knows that they did this, and more importantly if we'll get RCT Classic on the Tacobox. Of course, if I wanted to play the original RCT on a TV with an Xbox Controller, I'd go online and buy the 2003 port. An original Xbox and the RCT1 port would cost me $55 if I bought it from Gamestop. A Tacobox "Modern Controller" costs $60, let alone the full Tacobox. It's crazy how overpriced the Tacobox really is.