IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I can't wait to frame that certificate and get a nice plaque for it declaring it to be a among the top 5 dumbest things I've ever done.

My plan if I ever get anything is to flip it on Ebay as soon as the package hits my hands. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TACODON said:

I can't wait to frame that certificate and get a nice plaque for it declaring it to be a among the top 5 dumbest things I've ever done.

My plan if I ever get anything is to flip it on Ebay as soon as the package hits my hands. 

Considering how many people I've seen ask about shipping to other countries, you might even make a profit off it.

Edited by Agillig
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike_2000 said:

If the rights holders cared, why wouldn't they give the license to someone who loves the series, like Frontier Developments 

giphy.gif

Ooh! Oooh! I know why Frontier and Atari aren't working together!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-03-planet-coaster-dev-frontier-sues-rollercoaster-tycoon-world-maker-atari

Frontier said it amended its contract for RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 after Atari went bankrupt in 2013, and "another website", perhaps SteamSpy, revealed higher sales figures than previously thought. So, Frontier worked out it should have received $3.37m in royalties from Atari, but got only $1.17m. And, Frontier says, Atari delayed when it was asked for an audit of its sales report.

"Frontier got fed up and is now suing to get the rest of their dough," TMZ said. In a statement to Eurogamer, Frontier confirmed the action.

Here's Frontier chief operating officer David Walsh:

"We can confirm Frontier is currently pursuing a complaint against Atari. We have attempted to resolve this issue without legal action since April 2016. We have so far been denied our contractual right to audit by Atari, and we are unfortunately left with no other way to resolve our concerns. We are unable to offer any further comment while the matter is subject to due legal process."

It's been settled since then. This dispute showed up on one of Atari's financial reports. 

Meanwhile, Biff has a new quip about this. 

650862716_ScreenShot2019-07-25at2_56_57PM.thumb.png.d6732ff85d166069b743cec2325decea.png

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

@Flojomojo

I know about Infogrames and Frontier having a falling out. Chris Sawyer, the creater of RCT, and Infogrames had a very similar lawsuit (unpaid royalties, Infogrames being completely in the wrong but refusing to admit it, settlement out of court, etc) over a decade ago, but they've made amends and Chris allowed them to publish new RCT Games. Chris still owns the RCT IP but "trusts" Infogrames to take good care of it (as stated in this interview). It's pretty clear that Infogrames hasn't been doing a good job with RCT. The question I was trying to ask is "Does Chris have the power to revoke the RCT license and give it to someone who cares?"

Section about Infogrames from the interview:

Atari has a subsidiary called RCTO Productions, LLC, which appears to manage the RollerCoaster Tycoon games. I understand you own the trademark, but can you explain the ownership of the series in relation to Atari? What, exactly, does Atari have control of?

Chris Sawyer: I own the RollerCoaster Tycoon IP and Trademarks, and the rights to create and market new RollerCoaster Tycoon games are licensed to Atari Interactive.

How does the relationship work? When Atari licenses your RollerCoaster Tycoon trademark for a new game, do you have any say in quality control?

Chris Sawyer: I keep a very hands-off approach to Atari's new games in the series. I never wanted to be involved in their design or development, and given the value of the franchise to Atari I would expect that their own quality control would ensure the quality of the finished products.

You mention you prefer to keep a very hands-off approach to Atari's new games in the RCT series. Why?

Chris Sawyer: I think you have to understand that my personal vision for RollerCoaster Tycoon was fulfilled with the last version I created myself, RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, and I had no interest in working on someone else's vision for future versions of the game. Much better to let those who do have the inspiration fulfil their own vision of the next iteration of the game and not to interfere.

RollerCoaster Tycoon has moved on a long way since its early days as RCT1 and RCT2 and while I'm intrigued to see how the newer games evolve and expand I'm not the right person to guide or restrict the design and development of games so different to my own.

RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile dismayed many fans of previous RollerCoaster Tycoon games, but it was a financial success for Atari.
What did you think of RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile? Did you have any involvement with the development?

Chris Sawyer: Atari had a free hand in how they designed/created and marketed RCT4Mobile - I had no involvement other than seeing a few builds during development. I know there's been a lot of controversy over the marketing model and the game design but there's no doubt it's been a success for Atari.

What's your involvement with Atari's RollerCoaster Tycoon World? Are you working with the developers in any capacity?

Chris Sawyer: I hear from the developers occasionally and I've seen a few builds but other than that I'm completely hands-off. This is very much Atari's project and I'm not involved in the design or development.

We've reported a number of times on what looks like the troubled development of RollerCoaster Tycoon World. What's your view on the quality of the product and its management from Atari?

Chris Sawyer: In some ways I'm not surprised that development has been so troublesome - it's aiming to be a very big game with high ambitions and I know how complex even the earlier/simpler games RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 and 2 were. I suppose it's good that Atari recognised things were going wrong and were willing to delay the game and go back to the drawing board with a new team, and hopefully they will now ensure the game gets properly finished and achieves the ambitions they're aiming for.

Are you worried that Atari is harming the reputation of the series you created and the trademark you own with the release of RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile and RollerCoaster Tycoon World?

Chris Sawyer: To a certain extent I have to trust that they will build the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise positively. They know what they're doing and they certainly wouldn't want to devalue such an important part of their portfolio of games franchises.

You say you have to trust that Atari will build the RCT franchise positively, and I think all your fans hope this is the case, but so many of their recent games have disappointed. Minimum, for example, Atari's recent shooter, has been unplayable for five months. Is there a scenario where Atari creates a RCT game so poorly received that you revoke the license? Is that something you'd be willing to do?

Chris Sawyer: Atari have a limited licence, so it's in their own interest to ensure the new RollerCoaster Tycoon games are high enough quality to build the franchise over the coming years and I'm sure they want to ensure the continued success of the games.

To a certain extent I have to trust that they will build the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise positively.

to me that reads like he doesn't want to do further development himself ... and an explicit threat

Atari have a limited licence, so it's in their own interest to ensure the new RollerCoaster Tycoon games are high enough quality to build the franchise over the coming years and I'm sure they want to ensure the continued success of the games.

that's not the way I would talk about a meal ticket, a golden goose ... he could always shop it around and see who could do better, but that would be lotsa work!

I suspect he's practical enough to believe there probably aren't other devs interested in taking his IP and doing all the work then giving him a cut. As prone as they are to screw the pooch, Atari SA is also dumb enough to keep milking it like their own tired properties, and he gets a cut no matter what they do. I honestly think his IP is long past it prime, so the relationship probably suits each party fine.

5 hours ago, TACODON said:

As long as I can get it sold before the pigeons realize how crappy the "unconsole" is. 

I read an article at PowerLint an old one, that the Ataribox would retail at least $249 the cheap one and the expensive one for $389, I could buy a Nintendo Switch etc. with that dough. 

Oh and I have an Atari 4 switcher and carts not the cool ones but...I'm happy.

2 hours ago, Mike_2000 said:

@Flojomojo

Section about Infogrames from the interview:

"...and given the value of the franchise to Atari I would expect that their own quality control would ensure the quality of the finished products.'

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!! ?

Heh... ?

Whew. ?

This thread... never fails to bring the funny!

Or tacos. ? 

• Like 2

When you get the package, just keep it sealed, looks like a new breed of collectors are onthe rise and will pay top dollar$$$ for sealed crap, $22K for a super mario bros game?

Anyhoo Atari should have hired Woz instead of Jobs, today instead of Apple Computers it would have been Atari Computers, people would be saying "Im going to sleep over-night in front of the Atari store to get the new Atari Phone"

Maybe Atari is trying to minimize the chip count to under 50 hehehe xD

Edited by OCAT

40 minutes ago, OCAT said:

When you get the package, just keep it sealed, looks like a new breed of collectors are onthe rise and will pay top dollar$$$ for sealed crap, $22K for a super mario bros game?

Anyhoo Atari should have hired Woz instead of Jobs, today instead of Apple Computers it would have been Atari Computers, people would be saying "Im going to sleep over-night in front of the Atari store to get the new Atari Phone"

Maybe Atari is trying to minimize the chip count to under 50 hehehe xD

Sealed crap? ?????

I just checked out the supporter page on Facebook. Bunch of delusional nuts. They are trash talking everything and anything that defies the group think. I was going to take some screen shots but I feel like that just gives them more voice to instigate. I guess if anyone wants a laugh check them out. 

I might need to leave that group. Not sure how long I can stay silent and just watch.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TACODON said:

I just checked out the supporter page on Facebook. Bunch of delusional nuts. They are trash talking everything and anything that defies the group think. I was going to take some screen shots but I feel like that just gives them more voice to instigate. I guess if anyone wants a laugh check them out. 

I might need to leave that group. Not sure how long I can stay silent and just watch.

Eh stay. There is a possibility some people may be able to hack it to do something cool. Or see how others plan to use theirs.

Biff responded to the Fecalbook mess on the AtacoVCS page about the specs. If this is true (which I'm pretty sure its not because there is nothing to show) there is really no reason to get one if you have all the classic games.  The phrase "Internet Connection Required" for everything else is a big turnoff in my book. I like to do my gaming  offline.

Internet connection Required-forget it.jpg

• Like 3