IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

When I was younger and loving the futuristic Atari scene in Blade Runner, I never really thought Atari would be around on any serious level because the Jaguar had already done them in at that point but this nonsense is much worse than just not being around.

And wait... how many more days for the Coleco games announcement ? That's something to be interested in!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

And wait... how many more days for the Coleco games announcement ? That's something to be interested in!

Do you mean Intellivision?  Or did I miss a Coleco announcement?

On 8/5/2019 at 4:47 PM, Tommy Tallarico said:

In case everyone missed it on social media today.  btw...  Kinda funny that Atari is supposed to be shipping in 4 or 5 months and have shown ZERO gameplay footage.  We're almost a year later and will be showcasing 17 original and exclusive games (including 3 Atari ones!)  :)

Announcement:
In exactly 2 weeks from today on Monday, August 19th we'll be releasing our new Intellivision Amico trailer at gamescom in Germany. The biggest video game convention in the world! The trailer will not only be showing the actual hardware/machine, but also short clips from 17 of our exclusive games! Can't wait for everyone to check it out!

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

We could do a lot worse than the PC version of Tempest 2000. Whatever happened to that somewhat terrible Mini PC idea? 

https://unitetechno.com/dt_catalog/pc-classic/

I've been in contact with those guys as they've produced arcade machines; I also got to see that PC Classic at a trade show last year. I like how it looked, but there were no games to play yet, "all still early," etc. 

Latest update is "delayed to 2020" as they've been focusing efforts on developing a new card swipe payment system for arcades.

Over on Facebook, one of the True Fans is here to tell us that Atari's doing awesome (by suing people and selling things off, per the link). 

image.png.fd95a2e498afc511e2dd153811cb1874.png

The link also mentions:

-They've spent around €7.4 million on R&D. I don't see a mention of income from IndieGogo though...

-They've sold Alone in the Dark and Act of War, so you can't call those Atari games anymore

-They've made €1.1 million through litigation, presumably by suing all of those T-shirt/design producers

-"Exceeding 10,000 pre-orders" used on the Tacobox, but that's laughable as we've pointed out before (Ouya had more, etc.)

-They made some money off of "RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch versions (over 23.5 million downloads) and royalties received from Arcade 1 Up and Atari Flashback products." So I again wonder why no announcement of any RollerCoaster Tycoon game on the VCS...

https://www.finanznachrichten.de/nachrichten-2019-08/47422018-atari-2018-2019-annual-statement-of-operations-steady-profitable-growth-399.htm

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added info
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2019 at 5:31 PM, delmero said:

Hi good evening:

I know this is a tired question: why Atari doesn't hire a game developer studio to develop new games for the AtacoBox? I mean they have the money of the crowdfunding campaign or not? ?  ??

5 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

-They've spent around €7.4 million on R&D. I don't see a mention of income from IndieGogo though...

-They've sold Alone in the Dark and Act of War, so you can't call those Atari games anymore

-They've made €1.1 million through litigation, presumably by suing all of those T-shirt/design producers

-"Exceeding 10,000 pre-orders" used on the Tacobox, but that's laughable as we've pointed out before (Ouya had more, etc.)

-They made some money off of "RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch versions (over 23.5 million downloads) and royalties received from Arcade 1 Up and Atari Flashback products." So I again wonder why no announcement of any RollerCoaster Tycoon game on the VCS...

https://www.finanznachrichten.de/nachrichten-2019-08/47422018-atari-2018-2019-annual-statement-of-operations-steady-profitable-growth-399.htm

Amazing...they're selling off gaming IP (ie Battlezone) that could have been on the Ataribox.  If they were smart, which they definitely are not, they would become the GOG of console games and use the VCS as a starting point. 

Instead all they have left for it are 2600 games and they'll probably sell that off to AtGames just to pay off their legal hounds.... :mad:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MrMaddog said:

Amazing...they're selling off gaming IP (ie Battlezone) that could have been on the Ataribox.  If they were smart, which they definitely are not, they would become the GOG of console games and use the VCS as a starting point. 

Instead all they have left for it are 2600 games and they'll probably sell that off to AtGames just to pay off their legal hounds.... :mad:

I would be okay with atgames getting it. At least they make stuff.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, frankodragon said:

And still the same sandwich at Tingiant.  (You'd think it be rotten by now unless they vacuum-packed it.)

2088976223_stillthesamesandwich.thumb.jpg.418acdcf80a36ce592b5c7a3bca391fe.jpg

Too much bread. The middle piece is completely unnecessary. Also, is that a tomato? If so, there needs to be another slice next to it so you at least have a chance of getting a piece of it in each bite.

I'm not sure what's under the egg... maybe bacon crumbles? And the meat-like substance above the middle piece of bread I'm guessing is a rather anemic piece of thin-sliced turkey.

Has anyone actually tried making one of these? I can't say it does a whole lot for me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

good grief.

image.thumb.png.86ece6224c53a49fb6db2b47b90c3160.png

It's also clear it's a slow news cycle over on the RabidAtariVCS fanpage.

image.thumb.png.19203bb9ca544e708bf1d4ca8e17ca4b.png

It is super slow on that page. Its like the Box thread here under modern gaming where there is nothing new about the box to talk about.

• Like 3

Maybe "Atari" should embrace the modular tech dream of six years ago, now that the rest of the industry has decided that gluing things shut leads to better build quality, reliability, and proofing against the elements. The Feargal/Wyatt spokeschump of the moment could write some slick words about repairability and the openness of their platform. Freedom and shit. 

And tack on another two years to their projected release date. 

33 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I really hope it does get released in December. Mainly to just see the Beta and how the backers handle it.

Realistically, Atari already has some canned excuses ready to unleash.  Their die hard fans have believed every excuse and lie up to this point.   No reason to think that will change in 4 months.  Atari will say the backers get the benefit of being early testers, they will use their valuable feedback for the main launch in the spring, and everyone will be happy. 

That is, assuming this thing is released to backers this December.  There's nothing remotely impressive about the technology here, so it should be no problem.   Maybe they're too busy working on Defender Remastered to put on the Atari store for John P. to buy.

• Like 3

Hi!  If anyone is interested in seeing 3 exclusive reimagined Atari games (and 14 others)... please check out the new Intellivision Amico trailer that was just released.

Let me know your thoughts. Please help us by sharing this video! The world needs to know that Intellivision is back and available on 10.10 2020.

Looking  forward to sharing more details and gameplay footage over the next 14 months.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:09 PM, Flojomojo said:

I don't know how we'd ever know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lawyers on both sides got more money than Feargal did. 

Presumably there's more money to be made (and certainly less risk) by licensing out the old stuff than trying to make something new. Or else they'd be doing something different, right?

One thing's for certain, the lawyers are busy. Here's everything on pacermonitor for "Atari Interactive" since 1/1/2018. T-shirt peddlers, beware!

giphy.gif

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Redbubble, Inc. (5:18-cv-03451)

Courts > California Northern District Court

Filed: Jun 11, 2018

Judge: Jon S Tigar

Nature of Suit: Property Rights - Trademark

Cause: 15:1114 Trademark Infringement

Parties Matched: Atari Interactive, Inc.

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. TP Apparel, LLC et al (3:18-cv-04115)

Filed: Jul 10, 2018

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Zazzle, Inc. (3:18-cv-03843)

Filed: Jun 27, 2018

Cause: 15:44 Trademark Infringement

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Zazzle, Inc. (4:18-cv-03843)

Filed: Jun 27, 2018

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Redbubble, Inc. (3:18-cv-03451)

Filed: Jun 11, 2018

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. SunFrog, LLC (3:18-cv-04949)

Filed: Aug 15, 2018

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. SunFrog, LLC (4:18-cv-04949)

Filed: Aug 15, 2018

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Teespring, Inc. (3:19-cv-00111)

Filed: Jan 08, 2019

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Teespring, Inc. (5:19-cv-00111)

Filed: Jan 08, 2019

Atari Interactive Inc v. Target Corporation (2:18-cv-10735)

Courts > California Central District Court

Filed: Dec 28, 2018

Judge: Dale S Fischer

Parties Matched: Atari Interactive Inc

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Target Corporation (1:19-cv-03111)

Courts > New York Southern District Court

Filed: Apr 08, 2019

Judge: Lewis A Kaplan

Cause: 15:1051 Trademark Infringement

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Hyperkin Inc. (2:19-cv-00608)

Courts > California Central District Court

Filed: Jan 25, 2019

Judge: Christina A Snyder

Cause: 15:1125 Trademark Infringement (Lanham Act)

Atari Interactive, Inc. v. Ooshirts, Inc. (3:19-cv-00264)

Filed: Jan 15, 2019

Initially, I was thinking "if this is how Atari like to spend their money, money that they're not going to recoup because of lawyers' fees, then they're going bust fast."

Then I remembered all this is being played out in American courts where juries think they're playing with monopoly money.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2019 at 12:13 AM, CPUWIZ said:

Another watch bites the dust. 

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/16/blocks-modular-smartwatch-project-shuts-down/

"Backers are receiving "proof of debt" forms, although we wouldn't count on getting money back."

Oh, for God's sake. ?

If you're going to crowdfund, be realistic about how much you need. I'm starting to think that Kickstarter may as well use the Indiegogo model. What's the point of having an "all or nothing" model if you don't do your own due diligence on projects to ascertain how much they probably need?

50 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Hi!  If anyone is interested in seeing 3 exclusive reimagined Atari games (and 14 others)... please check out the new Intellivision Amico trailer that was just released.

Let me know your thoughts. Please help us by sharing this video! The world needs to know that Intellivision is back and available on 10.10 2020.

Looking  forward to sharing more details and gameplay footage over the next 14 months.

REAL games on REAL hardware?

What kind of sorcery be this?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Yes, but what all of us informed consumers want to know is what kind of sandbox mode does it have, and will I be free to game with it? All these game titles you're teasing us with sure seem like a transparent effort to control the kind of gaming we can do. I'd prefer you provide nothing so we can be free to create and make our own games rather than box us in with all those functional games and rules and stuff. I mean really, you even include controllers to make us use it the way you want us to. What's with the control freak attitude man?  

Also, where do we make our non-refundable cash pre-order payments to?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5