IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

1 hour ago, Kaboomer said:

Interesting observation related to this. Tommy T say the Amico Marketing budget is $10M, which is > 3x Atari's Indigogo Campaign that netted only $3M. So that's some pretty good competition for being small time! I'm glad Tommy T and company are in this "game" to show everyone how to market and communicate with the community! 

I don't look at it like big time vs small time. It's looking at history vs legacy. Yeah Atari as a brand has a history that is more well known. Intellivision has a legacy. There are no, well what era of Intellivision are we talking about talks. Or what is the true Intellivision or not. It is just Intellivision. Atari to me has history, but the legacy is gone and has been with how it has been passed around. There's nothing wrong with that other than those who don't have the experience trying to act like they do.

You can tell they have been around and done this before. If the new Atari could have done half of what the Amico is doing, with its history...this thread would have a lot less taco references.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I don't look at it like big time vs small time. It's looking at history vs legacy. Yeah Atari as a brand has a history that is more well known. Intellivision has a legacy. There are no, well what era of Intellivision are we talking about talks. Or what is the true Intellivision or not. It is just Intellivision. Atari to me has history, but the legacy is gone and has been with how it has been passed around. There's nothing wrong with that other than those who don't have the experience trying to act like they do.

You can tell they have been around and done this before. If the new Atari could have done half of what the Amico is doing, with its history...this thread would have a lot less taco references.

and really, this is the crux of the whole thread i feel like.  there's tons of reasons why the new VCS has been panned, enough so that there's really no need for me to go into it again.

Only nuAtari could take a golden egg and somehow transform it into a one dollar fast food hamburger.  (apologies for the metaphor- i happen to like dollar hamburgers but it seemed kind of apt)

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Good point.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kaboomer said:

Interesting observation related to this. Tommy T say the Amico Marketing budget is $10M, which is > 3x Atari's Indigogo Campaign that netted only $3M. So that's some pretty good competition for being small time! I'm glad Tommy T and company are in this "game" to show everyone how to market and communicate with the community! 

I had no idea on the marketing budget for the Amico.  As for Big Time, yeah, Atari hasn't been big time since the early 90's at best.  All this having been said, Collectorvision IS small time, comparatively speaking, but yet, they promised, and they delivered a new console, and you have to respect that.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kaboomer said:

To be fair, it's a lot easier to market something that actually exists.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I think the thing about the CollectorVision console is that it would have sold Just Fine as an FPGA Hi Def ColecoVision;  That is to say a reliable way to Just play old ColecoVision games on a new TV.  And they could have stopped there, but they didn't.

They went for the F18A mod, they got Super Game Module compatibility (despite the near Legendary behind the scenes, and OK in front of Everybody bickering and toxic arguments)...

Then they had their own good ideas and added SNES controller support, and they listened to people in the Community;  Not just condescending lip service.  But they were realistic with their answers and their intentions.

Then they added that which makes or breaks a console.  I'm talking about GAMES.   They included 10 Awesome Homebrews!  Plus, like consoles of old,  a pack in cart!

Now,  I'm not saying nutari should follow CollectorVision's lead...

No Way!  Ever since they named this abomination a "vcs",  I've wanted to watch it burn!

• Like 6

How about this?

If you want to run emulators or play PC games,   You buy/build a PC.

If you want old consoles,  You buy old consoles.

If you want modern games, You buy one of the Big 3.

If you want new retro styled and reimagined classic games (with an Intellivision bent),  You buy an Intellivision Amico.

If you want new retro games and a new way to play classic ColecoVision games and homebrews, You buy a CollectorVision Phoenix.

And finally,

If you want a burning dumpster fire of regret, shame, and disappointment;  If you want to look in the mirror and see a pigeon;  If you wish you'd spent your money on tacos or one of the above options,    Well... New "Atari" has got ya covered!

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Inky said:

And sadly, Taco John's, where they exist, used to be way better than Taco Bell.

I like them both for different reasons.

But,

Taco John's being litigious is annoying.  Taco Bell pulling Nacho Fries (and my favorite Nacho Fries Bel Grande) yet Again is annoying.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I like them both for different reasons.

But,

Taco John's being litigious is annoying.  Taco Bell pulling Nacho Fries (and my favorite Nacho Fries Bel Grande) yet Again is annoying.

I REALLY like Taco Bell's Reaper- ranch burrito, and load it down with diablo sauce...

Speaking of pigeons in games, an update has been posted for the upcoming arcade version of the bizarre party game, Nippon Marathon Turbo. The arcade version has a new character that lets you play as a...wrestler with a pigeon head. Where the point of the game is to run a marathon crashing through obstacles, they should throw some piles of Atari VCS shaped boxes in there for kicks:

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 11:48 AM, Clint Thompson said:

Intellivision: Check this out!

*drops Amico trailer*

Atari: Damn.

Intellivision: Ohhhh yeaaaaah!

forum koolaid GIF

?

You know, it truly is a sad day for Atari when Intellivision is more Atari than even Atari is. I would say they should take note but....

I'm a realist.

HAHAHHA!!!

Holy crap that was hilarious!!  :)  

I was just bringing up the Kool-Aid game in a meeting the other day.  Figuring out a way to do a similar promo for the 21st century!  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Love this post.  Thank-you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

HAHAHHA!!!

Holy crap that was hilarious!!  :)  

I was just bringing up the Kool-Aid game in a meeting the other day.  Figuring out a way to do a similar promo for the 21st century!  :)

you could always team up with one of the burger franchises with Burger Time 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inky said:

I had no idea on the marketing budget for the Amico.  As for Big Time, yeah, Atari hasn't been big time since the early 90's at best.  All this having been said, Collectorvision IS small time, comparatively speaking, but yet, they promised, and they delivered a new console, and you have to respect that.

We also have the 3 marketing, brand management & PR women who had over 50 years combined experience at the top of Nintendo and who launched the Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii & the Pokemon franchise!  And you can't blame them for the Wii U... they all left after the Wii.  :D

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

I'm vegan so probably Beyond BurgerTime or Impossible BurgerTime.  :D

haha...the more i think about it the more this is a bad idea anyway because Peter Pepper walks all over the meat and buns 

and that's not a good image for a Burger King or Mcdonald's 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

I'm vegan so probably Beyond BurgerTime or Impossible BurgerTime.  :D

Hey Tommy, I had no idea that you posted on this forum!  I'm vegan also, and just tried the Impossible Whopper at a local Burger King today.  The experience wasn't entirely authentic, but it was pretty good nonetheless.  If they can find a way to make it completely non-GMO (and lower the price point - $7.29 here), I would probably be up for it more than once.  :music:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

So, some thirty years ago Taco Johns trademarked "Taco Tuesday" and actively defends it.

I pretty much hate everything these days.

That's so disgustingly stupid and stupidly disgusting. I've never seen a Taco John’s but if I ever do, I won't give them any business so long as they're pulling this. Tater tots or not. 

More about it here. The whole thing is worth reading. The taco place is attempting to defend this weak trademark, but "it is a battle they are losing."

From our perspective, it seems like Taco John’s lost the battle to keep Taco Tuesday in its private domain long ago. The use of the phrase is ubiquitous, the majority of Americans have no idea it’s linked to Taco John’s, and the executives face a potential backlash each time they enforce the trademark.

So why keep fighting?

“It’s just unfathomable to us not to protect it,” says chief marketing officer Billie Jo Waara. “It’s part of our DNA. Taco Tuesday is this American institution. Not to take the chance to talk about it and our story, that would go against who we are.” 

“We understand that it’s prolific and shareable. But that’s why it’s great.”

Unfortunately for Taco John’s, that’s also why Taco Tuesday seems impossible to keep trademarked and out of the public domain. 

Hmmm, who else uses language like "it's in our DNA" to justify derpy choices? One would think that Breakout, Asteroids, and Pong would be in the public domain after so many derivative works. 

Did Target make "Atari" run away after that ludicrous dispute over Foot Pong? They should get smacked around every time they overreach. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ASalvaro said:

haha...the more i think about it the more this is a bad idea anyway because Peter Pepper walks all over the meat and buns 

and that's not a good image for a Burger King or Mcdonald's 

Kinda also done before, when Ocean released a clone of Burger Time (with some dodgy pre-BT level) as a tie in with UK burger chain Wimpy and their Mr Wimpy Mascot.