IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I mean, look...JP obviously has a legitimate learning disorder of some kind, so I'm loath to mock him.

Worse is our own Maxlvi, who is regularly let down by "Atari," and regularly crawls back for more abuse asking about token, or the "Big Partner," or the next big reveal. Because this time, this time, they'll really come through.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

"Atari" should be shamed of themselves to actually start their project in Indiegogo due to all the low reputation scores the crowdfunding site has received.  Other backers of other projects from Indiegogo are still complaining they never received their product.   But as any corporation/company would react, they really don't give a rat's ass.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:
  • Half the price -- or twice the price, but with real power. It's just meh as it is, neither power-sipping like a portable nor juiced enough to run real modern games. 
  • Demonstration of competence, not the embarrassing amateur nonsense shown to date. I would have fired Mr. Arzt last year if this were my project. 
  • A unique reason to purchase. Software would help. "We are doing our own thing" isn't sufficient in such a crowded field. 

As I've said before, I don't think this is a product for us, or even for any member of the public. It's a portfolio-booster for "Atari" stock so Mr. Chesnais can claim they're back in the hardware game. 

I don't think it's that good-looking, personally. That's because I don't have much enthusiasm for 1970s electronics design, and being tethered to a TV in the age of cheap high quality screens seems unnecessarily retrograde. 

Their use of crowdfunding was pathetic, especially given their terrible communication. It didn't deserve the attention or funding it received. I'm somewhat comforted that they probably won't get another chance to pull this kind of trick again. 

So I'm a hard sell, for tech and product reasons. Too bad for them, because I'm an easy mark for kitschy retro ticky-tack. If they made a Flashback 9 or a portable with fancy build quality, that would have interested me a lot more. 

Edit to add: WOO, PAGE 800! :D

I hear ya!  I have mini consoles all over the place, hehe- i've been eyeing the new TurboGrafx one.  I love that kinda stuff too.

You hit the nail on the head, though, when you pointed out the communication effort by Nutari.  This darn thing has been floating around for over 2 years now, I think, and they just keep rehashing old articles and blog posts to drum up interest for a product that was a 'mysterious black box' shown off in a Las Vegas hotel room.  

There's a little under 4 months before the backers get their 'poo in a box' that's masquerading as an unconsoleputertari device so they can see what a dismal flop it's going to be on the US market. 

i guess im not their target audience at all given how much money was thrown at it.  wanna start a pool on if this thing will be sold overseas after they make the buyers in the US upset?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, racerx said:

Worse is our own Maxlvi, who is regularly let down by "Atari," and regularly crawls back for more abuse asking about token, or the "Big Partner," or the next big reveal. Because this time, this time, they'll really come through.

89B0E1FD-CC11-4188-8C43-4647ECA0BC8E.jpeg.e0a9caf8e27eaacd74ee9c115ebbf3c5.jpeg

Will the inevitable "AAUGH!" be censored from the official Facebook and IndieGoGo comments pages, too? There's a conspicuous lack of honest criticism there. 

But it what is the football that they keep snatching away? Un-console? Facts? Token? The all-singing, all-dancing return of Mike Arzt and Rob Wyatt?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

89B0E1FD-CC11-4188-8C43-4647ECA0BC8E.jpeg.e0a9caf8e27eaacd74ee9c115ebbf3c5.jpeg

Will the inevitable "AAUGH!" be censored from the official Facebook and IndieGoGo comments pages, too? There's a conspicuous lack of honest criticism there. 

The supporters page can't handle any criticism either. One guy left because he had to walk on eggshells, and another one or two got snippy.

I really do hope they get something they can be okay with. I feel bad they blindly follow.

We should be due for an update. Its been a little over a month. Do you think there will be at least one game announced? A legit and not a 'for illustrative purposes' showing of the system booting up? More footage of the controller? 'For illustrative purposes' footage of the Atari Amico games passed off as theirs?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Yeah I will feel sorry for Ole John if it isn't what he expects. Remember how upset he was over the removal of the SD card?

So what would it take at this point for you all to buy one? For me it would be for them to show me something unique beyond a cool start up screen. I have a PC and plenty of ways to play the vault games. So currently it just looks really cool.

I guess by unique I mean games. I have Steam, my original Atari, a Flashback, Xbox, and a Rpi. I might pick up a classic stick but that's made by PowerA.

I just had a crazy thought...how do you know Vault is even going to be on it? Tempest 4000 isn't. Wasn't there a recent article that said Wyatt built his own pixel perfect 2600 emulator for the loading screens? If vault is already there why reinvent the wheel? or if I were a betting man maybe the question should be why "borrow" Stella when they could just use the emulator that's supposed to be there already in vault? Anyway you'd think Wyatt would be too busy with other stuff right now to be writing his own 2600 emulator and they'd just use what they had already. ? The more I think about this thing the less sense it makes. But what do I know I guess.

Is this what Transparency™ feels like?? ?

But yeah I could see myself buying the PowerA controller.

• Like 1

In their defence, I think the Vega+ team gave updates more often and was probably (a little) more transparent™ about their problems, but it doesn't change the fact that they didn't deliver in the end. Well, some got their units but in a poor state. But it's a different story since the previous campaign went well and there was no way of knowing the original team would quit to create the C64 Mini. -_-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JaqenHghar said:

I just had a crazy thought...how do you know Vault is even going to be on it?   

The Indiegogo campaign says Vault is included, but it's curiously absent from GameStop and Wal-Mart's product pages.  It is listed on ArariVCS.com, but is unclear to me if it's included or will be a purchasable option.

2 minutes ago, JBerel said:

When this is all over, these pages should be compiled into a publication called "Afterbirth of a Shitshow".

That I would back... but not on Indiegogo.

I seem to have the knack for really winding people up on Reddit and Facebook, that's for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

936327131_vcsbadge.JPG.81031fe060a0c09f928da035035f4e16.JPG

I don't know what I did to deserve this! I've replied to a few comments on Facebook and none of them have been positive. 

Does "Atari" decide who is a Top Fan, or is it a Facebook algorithm?

vcs badge.JPG

Edited by Amstari
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Amstari said:

936327131_vcsbadge.JPG.81031fe060a0c09f928da035035f4e16.JPG

I don't know what I did to deserve this! I've replied to a few comments on Facebook and none of them have been positive. 

Does "Atari" decide who is a Top Fan, or is it a Facebook algorithm?

vcs badge.JPG

Well you are in the 2600 forum so I would assume you're a VCS fan. Well earned.

Maybe your negativity was well worded?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2017 at 12:45 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

A woodgrain Steam-Box

This was mostly correct. But only after you add some decent storage and operating system, don't expect good performance, and are willing to wait a very long time. 

It's funny to think that Steam boxes have been dead for longer than AtariBox has been in development. Or should that be, "development," hater brigaders?

https://www.geek.com/games/remember-valves-steam-machines-1687085/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Aw, look. The Atari VCS Support Group guys are trying to meme. That's adorable.

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.16.36 AM.png

I like how his first sentence is a question...Like he doesn't know if he asked a guy about a VCS or not.  I find it apropos given, to me, there is only one VCS.   (And that isn't it)*.

*But what do I know?  I'm a real Atari fan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Aw, look. The Atari VCS Support Group guys are trying to meme. That's adorable.

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.16.36 AM.png

The meme reads like weird song lyrics from the 80s-

I asked a guy about the VCS? (He said he's skeptical)

I said you can be skeptical, I'm an Atari Fan!

Tell me all your thoughts on Atari, cos i'd really like to hear them-

and have you travelled very far?

• Like 2