IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

16 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

The new requirements for entry into the Atari VCS Support Group. Hopefully I'm grandfathered in. I'd hate to miss any of the insightful commentary the group members provide.

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 8.13.30 AM.png

I've said it before, possibly in this very thread... but when you have to make a special "positive posts only" forum, it's a sign that the original idea is so bad it doesn't warrant consideration in the first place.

• Thanks 3

So they expect their cult followers to talk about delivery experiences, games & performance. Did it dawn on them that it's gonna be some light convo? These goobers are really too much. But, what's a cult worth if they don't have an evil band of non-believers useful for coercing the cult drones into doing their laundry, handing over their wives, money, titles to their home, and capacity for independent thought.

Let me guess, their one question is, "Do you accept Atari, and by association Freddy C., as your personal savior, and disavow all others?"

3902268_0.jpg

• Like 2

I decided to look for some 3rd party articles on the VCS. No offense but I didn't want to feel like I was drinking either side's Kool Aid. I don't know if this is old news to some but in my journeys I found this:

https://www.atariedge.com/2019/06/the-edge-could-atari-vcs-be-getting-new.html

COULD THE ATARI VCS BE GETTING A NEW LORD OF THE RINGS

I've heard the rule of thumb for any headline you find on the internet that's phrased in the form of a question is that the answer is "no"

Still...

...Daedalic Entertainment [has] a new partnership with Middle-earth Enterprises, a division of The Saul Zaentz Company, to develop and publish The Lord of the Rings – Gollum. … So what was it from the new announcement from Daedalic that could be good news for the Atari VCS? ... they hinted that the all-new action adventure title is ... set for release in 2021 on PC and all relevant (my emphasis) console platforms at that time. ... the new Atari VCS console [is] set for March of 2020 ... [so this] might be one of the first hints of games being planned for the Atari VCS.

So there you have it. A big license game is out in 2021, and the VCS is out in 2020. Ergo big license games are coming to the VCS. Take that! (Methinks the author may not be appreciating the nuance of the word "relevant")

The pièce de résistance is the lone comment on the article:

interesting. people complain about titles, lol. this will be a hit i think. hopefully an exclsuive?

Unreal. And I don't just mean the engine this new LOTR game is reportedly using.

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

We've got a bit of an echo chamber thing going here too.  Not so much by our choice, but because they're awful trolls... and probably hate tacos.

This is. But there's the other VCS thread which has nothing.

Basically it is a non-souped up PC in a slick case. My PC at home is probably just about as good, cost less has more memory and can easily be hooked up to my '55. Plus I have an AA sticker that I can slap on it to carry on the Atari spirit.

They have a hard time seeing it won't be as great as they think. We have a hard time seeing past that they only care about the Fuji symbol. 

• Like 4

That's the difference. The folks over here aren't serving Kool-aid. We're also not serving bullshit, just common sense, facts, healthy belly laughs at the expense of liars and the easily influenced, and lots of tacos.

Pro-tip: you know you're in cultsville when they tell you, if you want to stay, believe what everyone else does. You're in rational land when they tell you we're not buying your nonsense so just GTFO. One is coercion to join a group think heard, the other is shunning to prevent a heard from getting so thoughtless it walks off a cliff. If anyone finds that an advanced distinction, congratulations, you've joined the ranks of the easily influenced.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

We've got a bit of an echo chamber thing going here too.  Not so much by our choice, but because they're awful trolls... and probably hate tacos.

The vast majority of real media (games or otherwise) doesn't talk about the VHS ? <sic> at all. Relevance requires evidence of existence. When they do talk about it, it's unthinking regurgitated press releases, puff short things like Fox Biz appearances, or just making fun of it. 

The "official" social media outlets are like propaganda outlets. Only the suck-up posts stick around, which is why we snapshot the "brave" critics. You'd think all the censorship would be a clue that maybe their product isn't all that. "All brands do it!" they say. The delusion is thick. 

The fan posts are single voices. That same guy writing about the Gollum game posted this around the same time. Not exactly award-winning journalistic insight. 

So yeah, we are an echo chamber, because it's the only place where anyone is paying attention and isn't censored ? beyond recognition. The thread is unwieldy because of all the noise, but I like to think anyone with any judgment doesn't NEED obvious advice like, "don't throw your money away at these jerks."

• Like 7

In my defense, I did say "bit of". ?  I don't believe any of us have problems engaging with Ataribox fans if they want to have an earnest discussion.  If they are banned from this thread it's because they wouldn't play nice--including being willfully obtuse (e.g., sea-lioning).

In Michael Artz/Atarivcsofficial's worldview, there should be no places like here or The Register or even the milder Reddit under @Historian 's hand.

I do confess a part of me is okay with a fan club doing something like that, even if I don't think it's the best overall.  It can be a rough world out thar, so whatever gets you through the night

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

The fan posts are single voices. That same guy writing about the Gollum game posted this around the same time. Not exactly award-winning journalistic insight.

"This is exciting to our team at Atari Edge" a team of only one 'executive editor' apparently. ?
(PS: Flo, try to remove the "?m=1" from the URL, that's the mobile version with a HUGE Atari logo. At least you don't post 3-line URLs like most people do, including moderators here ?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If there were more meat to the Atari campaign, it would be fun to make a Richard Scarry parody cartoon about it, like this fine example by Rubin Bolling, a hero of mine. 

Characters to be illustrated would include:

1. the ineffectual big shot CEO pumping the stock (pig or frog in a suit), 

2. skydiving expat slacker dicking around with Ubuntu boot images (a fox maybe?),

3. the low-effort public relations face man holding annual meetings in a hotel room, no pictures allowed (perhaps a mole),

4. a bearded graphic designer using words like "holistic ecosystem" and "no raw edges" (definitely a bear),

5. a clueless teenager attempting to run the social media accounts (baby rabbit),

6. some hired-gun Chinese fabricators (cats I think),

7. the Russian cloud store developers (illustrators choice, we don't know much about them),

8. a small band of loyal supporters (sheep of course), and

9. a similar sized clutch of haters (jackals or hyenas). 

Richard-Scarry-21st-century-Busy-Town1-7

See also: Business Town. The only reason this might not work so well is because these jokes are five years old. "Atari's" business plan (ha!) is more like something from 20 or 25 years ago. 

• Like 6

A bossy collector of stuff, Stingy impatiently dreams of being king of the world. Young and eager, he loves playing with the group (you can’t be a king without subjects), but finds himself apoplectic with jealousy whenever anyone brings something new to play with, something that he doesn’t have. He feels that possessions ‘make the man’. Stingy’s avid collecting does mean that he usually has just the thing the others need to save the day, put on the play, or find their way. If he’ll only share it, that is.

https://lazytown.fandom.com/wiki/Stingy

that reminds me of another kids book- 'The Mine-o-saur'.  We used to read this one to them all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Mine-Saur-Sudipta-Bardhan-Quallen/dp/0399246428/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mineosaur&qid=1567421736&s=gateway&sr=8-1

"A group of dinosaurs is happily playing in the school yard when . . . oh no! Here comes the Mine-o-saur!  He snatches all the toys. He grabs all the snacks at snack time. He hoards the blocks during recess. And all the while he yells, 'MINE, MINE, MINE'  But soon enough, no one wants to play with him. What will it take for the Mine-o-saur to realize that what he really wants are friends? And then, will the other dinosaurs ever welcome him back?"

• Like 3