IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On 9/9/2019 at 4:04 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

All right, let's ruffle some feathers ;)

(Playing on the "Genesis Does What Nintendon't commercials," in case anyone isn't sure what the reference is)

amico_can.png

If you're gonna bring back the Console War ads...

intellivision ad.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, onemoretime said:

Was just curious, but how many employees do they have? There s very little information that I could find about the company itself, though that don't mean that it doesn't exist.

For Atari? 20 full time employees. Don't know how many contractors and consultants, but their CEO has made a virtue of low overhead and only hiring who they need and outsourcing the rest. 

As a publicly traded company, they have to disclose this stuff. I assume most of the employees work on licensing out the name, and that Mike Arzt is the only full time employee working on the ataribox project. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ATA.PA/profile?p=ATA.PA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I wish we could be excited for something, anything they've done rather than just pointing and laughing at their ineptitude. 

I know it's been said before ... but in case Mr Weiner's having a read ... 

@Flojomojo 's comment is what this thread is about in a nutshell!  Not aggressive trolling  ..... Not whining (Unless your a pigeon, to which your fully entitled too imo.  Mind you, I'd call it simply complaining.) ....  just enthusiastic banter (with extra-gusto at times ?), whilst enjoying a laugh amongst ourselves.  Don't forget, this is the home of true Atari lovers.  Without Albert and the crew, the legendary old Atari hardware & games would definitely not be getting as much attention, than if AA didn't exist.  Fantastic homebrews (and the talented people behind said brews) for these old beasts would also be nowhere near as prevalent if AA was not around.

So when a true Atari fan see's the Atari name once again linked to a shit-show circus, what do you bloody expect. *gets off soapbox*.   

2 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

twopictures.thumb.jpg.39f4c791ce517dd2cf20766313388d09.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

4 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

intellivision ad.jpg

As a survivor of those very same Console Wars, this saddens me. (No offense to Intellivision fans, but I was firmly in Atari's camp back-in-the-day.) It's depressing to think of how far Atari has fallen. But, and this is the important part - they did it to themselves. If Intellivision can make the Amico a viable product, more power to 'em.

1 hour ago, Spriggy said:

twopictures.thumb.jpg.39f4c791ce517dd2cf20766313388d09.jpg

Now that's funny!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Here's a question, how many games could a reasonably talented person produce in the, oh let's say, minimum of 3 months that Atari has been put on the spot about games and reported nothing whatsoever? Divide by 10 and you have the number of games even these slags should be able to have waiting in the wings already. 

Not that I expect even that much from them. You'll soon get an announcement embellishing a wide range of games for the VCS. In actuality, they'll be short snippets of stuff that's been slapped together over the last few weeks, actual video animations made to look like a game, or the usual vague promises suggesting about 8000 times more than is actually going on, and probably some professional mimes playing these "games" again. Check for power cords being plugged in this time boys!

As shady as these clowns are, what's it gonna take for them to appear legitimate now? They are due no shred of credibility at this point, so any packaged clips or statements aren't worth the pixels their printed with. The only thing that will show tangible progress of anything will be uncut smart phone camera footage showing a machine turned on with wires from end to end, and an actual demo powering on and playing actual software on a functional box. Ironically, that costs nothing if they have anything at all to show. Sounds like them though doesn't it?

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3

3 months of hobbyist programming on evenings and weekends, or 3 months of full time, paid game development? Given that some of the most talented people here on AtariAge can come up with decent, playable retro games (though not fully embellished or tested) within 2-3 evenings of work, as well as those 24 hour indie coding competitions that take place all the time, I think a reasonably talented person working full time could put out at least 2 basic games per month, depending on how much previous material they have to start from. Yep, those would be more like the free download or $1 games on the Internet, not AAA titles which perhaps is not what Atari would want to brag about in their list of exclusive games.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Multiple people are working on it, you troll haters!

But are they full-time employees of Atari SA (included in the SEC-reported headcount of 20 people) or are they consultants and ringers? Not that it's any of our business, but by way of illustration, was Wyatt on the Atari group health plan when he broke his femur?

• Like 2