IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Enough time has passed that the Atari VCS can IN NO WAY be "revolutional" to the gaming community.

Seriously, with even with a Raspberry Pi, you can make a complete gaming system that covers everything ALL the classic gaming systems provided and more.

If you are going to make a cloud-based system where games/roms can be played at will through a hardware device enabled with wireless capabilities (for example), the actual device would not need to be much larger than a Roku. You just have to determine how your peripherals would interact (wireless/bluetooth or via plugin).

I get that there are licensing issues to consider, and that would be the BIGGEST hurdle (for both Roms and System emulation), but that could easily be addressed through an online PUBLISHING platform (much like Google Play), where you purchase titles or bundles, with some free games provided for the system out of the box.

13 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Exactly. Already sent a message there. Lol.

And you received your response, which is to say no response at all.

One of the most important things anyone who has gone into business for themselves can learn is that knowing who not to work with is just as (if not more, in some cases) important as deciding on who to work with.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Yeah.  Honestly, Indie devs are a dime-a-dozen so they don't need to care.  There's a guy on Reddit who complained so much about Atari not responding to his emails about publishing a game, I figured it must be ole Biffster.   

Sorry for the blow to the ego, @Lodmot, but if they treat Llamasoft like crap they're not going to bend over backwards for some small-time developer.  Your game would need to be really awesome. But if it was, why would you limit your sales to just one platform?

Not a problem dude. :) I understand fully I'm a very small developer. I was initially limiting myself to just the Atari VCS because I was that excited for it, so it was mostly just enthusiasm-driven. After I learned my lesson the hard way and realized there wasn't going to actually be a VCS, I got discouraged (as probably a lot of other people did) and decided to focus on perhaps developing the game on Steam instead.

The other thing that made the VCS an attractive platform for me as a developer, was that it would be a brand new ecosystem. I felt like I'd have a better shot at getting my content noticed if it's on a platform that's very new, and it isn't oversaturated with thousands of titles yet. Steam is still a nice platform to develop for and I'm certainly going to shoot for it, but I'm worried my game will just get lost in there-- lol..

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Atari had better be careful the next time they show Ms. Pac-Man in their demos...Bandai Namco is suing AtGames after the latter company apparently was working quietly behind the scenes to acquire the rights to that one from GCC. Today, AtGames announced they own Ms. Pac-Man now; I'd be amazed if Namco doesn't fight this. Either way, this is something that will probably be fought out in court for the next few years (that said, I imagine that AtGames wanted to offer MPM as an exclusive for their Legends Ultimate Arcade machine):

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/atgames-acquires-ms-pac-man-related-rights-300925773.html

Atari has only acquired the rights that GCC once had. Without seeing the original agreement between Namco and GCC, it is impossible to know exactly what it is that they own (or the limitations on what they can do with the IP). 

Presumably that will come into evidence if/when needed. You can follow the docket here, and make a free PACER.GOV account (note: NOT PacerMonitor, which is expensive) to download documents. I've grabbed the Namco complaint and put it here. My layperson impression is that the custody of Ms. Pac-Man is unclear. 

Back on topic, anyone see the news about Atari SA today?

Spoiler

Hungry Food GIF

There was no news about Atari SA today. Sorry if I got your hopes up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Back on topic, anyone see the news about Atari SA today?

Hide contents

Hungry Food GIF

There was no news about Atari SA today. Sorry if I got your hopes up. 

It's still early though and technically it's the 5th day of the last day of summer!!!!!!

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Lodmot said:

All they've told me was that "details would be shared soon" (and mind you, this was during the campaign, and they had a bunch of third party developer logos on the page). It doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, and they had a partnership in place with Dupont to call their WalMart exclusive render the Kevlar Edition. Because that's just like Dupont to do that.

Honestly, I really think even the smartest people completely forget what a bunch of lying, bottom feeding tool bags Atari has been proven to be time and time again. Wake up people.

1 hour ago, RainbowCemetery said:

even if this box existed and had a reasonable install base and decent storefront, i still wouldn't wanna dev for it cause i don't trust them with my money. nor should anyone after the frontier developments lawsuit

Going off the IGG backer numbers (which are just over 11k), we can assume that at most they pre-sold 10k systems (because a lot of people just bought the controllers, and they double counted people who ordered an extra controller).  To put this in perspective, the Ouya had 58,000 kickstarter orders.  And the Ouya failed mostly because they didn't have a wide enough user base to make it worthwhile for developers to make games for it.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, jhd said:

Atari has only acquired the rights that GCC once had. Without seeing the original agreement between Namco and GCC, it is impossible to know exactly what it is that they own (or the limitations on what they can do with the IP). 

Yeah, after I posted that, it became clear that all GCC had was the rights to royalty payments.

Still, it leaves the whole thought of Ms. Pac-Man in a litigated mess. And Namco has no qualms about suing over MPM to protect their IP. Might be one reason why Atari tried to downplay/remove the e3 video, since it showed it and they know they don't have any right to be implying that MPM will be on the VCS.

5 hours ago, Lodmot said:

I understand fully I'm a very small developer. I was initially limiting myself to just the Atari VCS because I was that excited for it, so it was mostly just enthusiasm-driven. After I learned my lesson the hard way and realized there wasn't going to actually be a VCS, I got discouraged (as probably a lot of other people did) and decided to focus on perhaps developing the game on Steam instead.

The other thing that made the VCS an attractive platform for me as a developer, was that it would be a brand new ecosystem. I felt like I'd have a better shot at getting my content noticed if it's on a platform that's very new, and it isn't oversaturated with thousands of titles yet. Steam is still a nice platform to develop for and I'm certainly going to shoot for it, but I'm worried my game will just get lost in there-- lol..

In my opinion, you should switch over to developing for the Intellivision Amico. Then you can say that the game was in development for the VCS, until something much better came along that is better for fans of classic gaming. That wouldn't be inaccurate, and it would further bolster the Amico's support, while giving you some attention. I'm guessing that the Amico will have a much larger userbase after launch than the VCS will (this is in the fantasy world of assuming the VCS even ships by Oct. 2020), so getting in on the initial software launch could be like when the Switch first came out...there was nothing on the eShop really, so people bought everything that came out. Of course, now the eShop is saturated too...

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yeah, after I posted that, it became clear that all GCC had was the rights to royalty payments.

Still, it leaves the whole thought of Ms. Pac-Man in a litigated mess. And Namco has no qualms about suing over MPM to protect their IP. Might be one reason why Atari tried to downplay/remove the e3 video, since it showed it and they know they don't have any right to be implying that MPM will be on the VCS.

In my opinion, you should switch over to developing for the Intellivision Amico. Then you can say that the game was in development for the VCS, until something much better came along that is better for fans of classic gaming. That wouldn't be inaccurate, and it would further bolster the Amico's support, while giving you some attention. I'm guessing that the Amico will have a much larger userbase after launch than the VCS will (this is in the fantasy world of assuming the VCS even ships by Oct. 2020), so getting in on the initial software launch could be like when the Switch first came out...there was nothing on the eShop really, so people bought everything that came out. Of course, now the eShop is saturated too...

I like this idea actually. I'll definitely look into it. :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Did The Register story do this? The Atari SA stock price dropped €0.02 the day the "...dear God, it's actually gotten worse" story came out. 

139113423_ScreenShot2019-09-27at12_26_54PM.thumb.png.c7ef7f2459162bfd16485d6a8c8b0216.png

33 Euros? Dammit, I'll have to revise my earlier bid. Might cost me as much as £10 for a controlling stake.

Now, if only the Register could do a similar story about Apple.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Some of the early orders were duplicates, but I highly doubt "Atari" bid up its own crowdfunder, considering IGG keeps a significant chunk of the take. Though that would be entertaining, and one explanation for their slow walk. 

Some of the backers are just living in retroland, a magical nostalgic place where all your childhood favorites come back and life is simple again. 

B56426C6-8502-4FC7-A270-E8EC53800DFA.thumb.png.ec10ba971f42eb1a210d389c7b9a8357.png

As for Walmart and GameStop, that was done to appear more legitimate. It doesn't actually make them more legit. The stores don't care if the thing ships or not, and the idea that Walmart would somehow punish non-delivery is  just bizarre. 

That Supporters group is completely unhinged and their "leader" and moderator has some scary issues. 

The biggest troll of all is "Atari."

Wow.  That's the first time John-boy has started to inject words of doubt into his Church of Atari sermons.  Let's see if Father Brandon follows suit.

churchofatari.gif.6e549e4af5a62a2a73feedb247f7e94f.gif

"Let's see if Father Brandon follows suit."

iggsnap.thumb.JPG.37b111cf0161dbcdf904a052c1f4833d.JPG

Nope.  Impervious to doubt.?  And Jessie becoming delirious after passively inhaling the remnants of what the other two are smoking!

meanwhile.gif.34659d70f115016db800657d9389b9e5.gif

Dinner last night.  My puerco pibil, pickled red onion and cilantro pita tacos.  Yes .. Yes ... I know.  I didn't use tortillas.  Sue me. ? ?

20190927_182612.thumb.jpg.a28d7b4840b86064ef32957df41ef31d.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Some of the early orders were duplicates, but I highly doubt "Atari" bid up its own crowdfunder, considering IGG keeps a significant chunk of the take. Though that would be entertaining, and one explanation for their slow walk. 

Some of the backers are just living in retroland, a magical nostalgic place where all your childhood favorites come back and life is simple again. 

B56426C6-8502-4FC7-A270-E8EC53800DFA.thumb.png.ec10ba971f42eb1a210d389c7b9a8357.png

RE: johnphelan1979 "I still believe in the atari vcs I don't know why I just do" 

Mother of god, early on even though there were obvious red flags I can at least accept someone buying into the hype BUT BY NOW, I'm sorry, he might not know why but there can only be one simple answer

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Again, for the troops following the financials and other internal company goings-on at Ataco ... the previously mentioned annual General Meeting of Shareholders is in 2 days.

Here are the associated documents for the meeting ... CLICKITY-CLICK .   Some interesting reading on the 70 page Shareholder Information Document.  

reading.gif.0180e5cc53c9fd5a166b4df97a6710d4.gif

• Like 1

In addition, users’ preferences are constantly changing and are often unpredictable. Sales could suffer if Atari fails to develop and publish new digital games accepted by the market or if Atari fails to direct users’ interest to its games rather than to other forms of entertainment to which consumers have access.

• Like 3

.. and you can quote forever ......

(Ataco SA) Due to the cancellation of the INL revenue and the impairment of the receivables related to the new agreement, the operating income as of March 31, 2019 shows a €968k loss compared to a €771k profit as of March 31, 2018. Net financial income amounts to +€139k compared to +€16,936k in the previous financial year, which had seen reversals of provisions on securities and receivables related to dormant subsidiaries, which were liquidated. The current profit before tax amounts to -€830k compared to +€17,707k the previous financial year. Net extraordinary income amounts to -€66k compared to -€16,270k the previous financial year, which had recorded as expenses the gross value of the shares of dormant subsidiaries, which were liquidated. Net income before tax amounts to -€895k compared to +€1,437k the previous financial year. Due to the use of its tax loss carry-forwards, the corporate income tax is zero, as in the previous financial year. As a result, net income after tax amounts to -€895k compared to +€1,437k the previous financial year.

• Like 3

Stuff like this makes me wonder if the vcs project is just an accounting trick, a way to launder money without paying dividends to stockholders or something. I don't fully understand what they're playing at, but at least they seem to acknowledge the possibility that Rob Wyatt's little gimmick machine may not go anywhere. 

Development Costs of Video Games, the Atari VCS and Audiovisual Production
In accordance with IAS 38, an intangible fixed asset resulting from development (or the development phase of an internal project) must be recognized if, and only if, an entity can demonstrate all of the following:
(a) That it is technically feasible to complete the intangible fixed asset for commissioning or sale. (b) That it intends to complete the intangible fixed asset and commission or sell it.
(c) That it is able to commission the intangible fixed asset or sell it.
(d) The way in which intangible fixed asset will generate probable future economic benefits. The entity shall demonstrate, among other things, that there is a market for the production resulting from the intangible fixed asset, or for the intangible fixed asset itself or, if it is to be used internally, that it is useful.
(e) That there are adequate technical, financial, and other resources available to fully develop and commission or sell the intangible fixed asset.
(f) That it is able to reliably estimate the expenditures attributable to the intangible fixed asset during its development.
The Group recognizes a charge for development costs (internal or external studio development expenses) if it considers that the project does not meet all of the above criteria.
As of March 31, 2019, there were various projects that met these criteria. At the close of every financial year, the Group assesses the future economic benefits it will receive from that asset by using the principles set out in IAS 36—Impairment of Assets. These assets are valued according to a minimum budget. If a deviation from this budget is identified, and depending on how significant this deviation is, the amortization plan is accelerated or the asset is impaired in full.
Video game development costs are, in principle, amortized over 3 years on a straight-line basis from the launch of the product; the engines, tools, and developments related to the information system are amortized over 5 years since the 2016/2017 financial year.

• Like 2

Occurrences of "VCS" in document: 11

Occurrences of "console" in document: 5 including the relevant phrases "the “Atari VCS”, the Group’s new console" and "Atari VCS console"

Occurrences of "unconsole" in document: 0

Question: "Intangible assets mainly relate to the production costs for the games RollerCoaster Tycoon World, RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch, games in development, the Atari VCS, and TV shows." ...TV shows???

• Like 3