IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Ha! They just shown how much of Atari Shill Trolls they are. This is a fake ass group to try and get extra sales.

Its not in production. It won't be in production to make it by December. WalMart and Gamestop mean nothing. There are probably very low preorders. (Hence the billion posts begging us to by their Atacoshoebox). The best they are going to get is something that is the second prototype and there will be zero support to get it out of Beta. 

That's even me giving them credit they will put anything out.

Enjoy your overpriced Flashback shills.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:58 AM, Nathan Strum said:

Well, I'm completely convinced. Time to sign up for their Indiegogo campaign!

post-52250-0-98633400-1560301684.jpg

Whoops. Well, I tried.

1 hour ago, Paul Slocum said:

I think that text was added to the Indiegogo page recently.  I don't find it on archived versions of the page.

No, it was posted when I said it was, 109 days ago, check out the contemporaneous @Nathan Strum quote above. We take a lot of screenshots because "Atari" is motivated to shove a lot of their stupid history down the memory hole. It's harder for them to claim "I never said that" when the truth is preserved like that. See also Kieren McCarthy calling out Arzt for his ridiculous performance promoting VCS in the summer of 2018. Arzt got pantsed so badly, the poor chump hardly talks to anyone nowadays. @digdugnate has gotten good at similar excavation of deleted Reddit comments. Nothing is ever truly gone from the internet if someone takes a capture of it. 

Wayback Machine is wonderful, but IGG does tricky things with page rendering. For example, they also make it difficult to view large numbers of backer comments at once. I took an archive snapshot 15 minutes ago, and it doesn't show this text either. 

Note that they typo'ed their intended December 2019 release date, too -- or maybe it was a Freudian slip? ?

There are a lot of eyes on this, and when someone mis-remembers something, it generally gets called out. Trust your taco-eating brothers and sisters, not "Atari."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

No, it was posted when I said it was, 109 days ago, check out the contemporaneous @Nathan Strum quote above. We take a lot of screenshots because "Atari" is motivated to shove a lot of their stupid history down the memory hole. It's harder for them to claim "I never said that" when the truth is preserved like that. See also Kieren McCarthy calling out Arzt for his ridiculous performance promoting VCS in the summer of 2018. Arzt got pantsed so badly, the poor chump hardly talks to anyone nowadays. @digdugnate has gotten good at similar excavation of deleted Reddit comments. Nothing is ever truly gone from the internet if someone takes a capture of it. 

Wayback Machine is wonderful, but IGG does tricky things with page rendering. For example, they also make it difficult to view large numbers of backer comments at once. I took an archive snapshot 15 minutes ago, and it doesn't show this text either. 

Note that they typo'ed their intended December 2019 release date, too -- or maybe it was a Freudian slip? ?

There are a lot of eyes on this, and when someone mis-remembers something, it generally gets called out. Trust your taco-eating brothers and sisters, not "Atari."

I would trust anymore more than Atari or those dumb shill troll on the supporters page. I would send my kid into a skeevy van with a stranger before I'd trust my kid with the supporters or Atari. I don't know anything about the stranger but I already know Atari likes to screw people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I would trust anymore more than Atari or those dumb shill troll on the supporters page. I would send my kid into a skeevy van with a stranger before I'd trust my kid with the supporters or Atari. I don't know anything about the stranger but I already know Atari likes to screw people.

I just bought a Switch yesterday.  Was actually thinking I should put some Atari classics on it.  Then literally said to myself "Nope.  I just don't want those bums to have even another cent of my money, not even honestly."

This is where the brand is at, people.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Just now, godslabrat said:

I just bought a Switch yesterday.  Was actually thinking I should put some Atari classics on it.  Then literally said to myself "Nope.  I just don't want those bums to have even another cent of my money, not even honestly."

This is where the brand is at, people.  

I hope they go belly up and Intellivision buys then.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Got it, yeah it's not in that capture either.  I definitely don't trust Atari at all, but it's pretty damning so I just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight before I repeat it.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Of course you'd want to stay very far away if this individual endorsed Atari:

ataco_vcs_cosby.thumb.jpg.0c013cfe698148dd2587de48b9371bec.jpg

3 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

Was actually thinking I should put some Atari classics on it.  Then literally said to myself "Nope.  I just don't want those bums to have even another cent of my money, not even honestly."

When this inevitably all comes crashing down, I'm sure a lot of angry people will be distributing Retropie images with Atari's IP for the backers who got stiffed.  It's funny that a lot of backers will probably end up just having what was in the fake AtariVCS videos.

29 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

When this inevitably all comes crashing down, I'm sure a lot of angry people will be distributing Retropie images with Atari's IP for the backers who got stiffed.  It's funny that a lot of backers will probably end up just having what was in the fake AtariVCS videos.

Maybe we need to contact Atari Dude?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JaqenHghar said:

To be fair Infogrames wasn't valued at $0 when they bought Atari. $11 million was Atari alone. You have to count Infogrames valuation in their combined value too. And they had to be worth more than $11 million to be able to spend $11 million.

And if they spent $11 million to buy Atari that would (naively) be a zero-sum transaction because the gave $11 million in cash and received something worth $11 million. So even if you pretend that valuation never changed since that transaction it would mean Infogrames was worth $85 million and $11 million of that was the Atari IP. Still doesn't sound plausible but it's not quite as incongruent.

Beyond that it's possible for the shares to be worth less but the market cap to be more because there are more shares than there used to be (some that came from Infogrames, some from share splits). Not saying I believe the numbers mind you. Just saying it's possible.

IIRC, when Atari posted Chapter 11 back in 2012 or so, they were offering the Atari logo and a number of 1970's game creations (Pong, Tank, Breakout, several others that don't carry the weight of an Asteroids and such) for $2 million. That was when they sold off several IP, including BattleZone to Rebellion for $250,000. 

I don't see how anything they've done since 2012 has improved the value of the brand, although they would probably use the $3m collected from IGG to say that it's at least worth that much now (despite the growing firestorm of hatred that they are self-inflicting on the brand thanks to the VCS and some other things they've been doing).

Along those lines, I don't know how popular this blog is, but here's a retro focused blog now openly wondering when a class action lawsuit might be launched against Atari over the VCS (my guess is if December comes and goes without a word about units shipping to backers):

http://8-bitcentral.com/blog/2019/atariClassAction.html

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

By the way, when I shared my article thursday on Facebook, I tagged the Atari VCS account as usual. But I found out later that it had been 'untagged'. I had no idea it was possible to do that... ?

Yes it is possible, the Tagged party is notified and they can choose to share or display whatever they were tagged in as well they can choose to "UNTAG" themselves or even report it. This is actually a good thing, in your case obviously they wanted to distance themselves from something that might reflect negatively for them ?You have to consider though sometimes people tag others on Facebook in stupid or unrelated things and so the tagged party should have the means to remove such tags or in the case that it is done in an abusive or malicious manner also be able to report it. Hell, over the years I have even removed myself from tagged posts that were not appropriate. So obviously, the people behind AtariVCS in their usual controlling manner of trying to control the narrative would untagg themselves, hell I am surprised they didn't report it as well ?

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
correct
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

By the way, when I shared my article thursday on Facebook, I tagged the Atari VCS account as usual. But I found out later that it had been 'untagged'. I had no idea it was possible to do that... ?

Yes, anyone tagged can untag themselves on Facebook

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, TACODON said:

Getting that ban hammer soon I bet...

Capture.PNG

And...comments for that thread are now disabled.  There was some concern about whether backers would get their systems this year, and you can't have skepticism. They don't want negative posts, but what is there to post about, other than their infatuation with us "trolls"?  Certainly nothing positive. 

Heck, even John Phelan released a video on YouTube today saying if the system isn't out by April, he's going to boycott Atari.   Looks like the dam is starting to break.

• Like 4

It would be cool if they would release the system as an open console and just let people do whatever they want with it.  They could even setup an online marketplace like steam or gog to support it where anyone could upload software to share or sell.  They don't seem that smart though.  I really would love to see a company make an open console though.  Even the Ouya was kind of locked in.

48 minutes ago, CMR said:

It would be cool if they would release the system as an open console and just let people do whatever they want with it.  They could even setup an online marketplace like steam or gog to support it where anyone could upload software to share or sell.  They don't seem that smart though.  I really would love to see a company make an open console though.  Even the Ouya was kind of locked in.

We've been down this road many, many times.

What you're describing is essentially a Raspberry Pi or other SBC with the appropriate configuration.  Nothing radical about the concept; even Sony did it with the PS2 and PS3.  It doesn't take Atari SA to make it happen.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

We've been down this road before many, many times.

What you're describing is essentially a Raspberry Pi or other SBC with the appropriate configuration.  Nothing radical about the concept; even Sony did it with the PS2 and PS3.  It doesn't take Atari SA to make it happen.

Don't forget the Yaroze (PS1). It also basically describes any Steam Box.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

it's totally okay, guys!  Biff said that he'll be getting an SDK soon from Atari!  Very very soon you can play Jungles of Maxtheria on YOUR VERY OWN VCS II!

image.png.b6249964708e855561be103ecb20f9b6.png

Doesn't he also make that sweet puzzle game?  There's nothing more I'd like to play than a game where you put together pieces of a puzzle to form a screenshot of Doom on the Jaguar.  I can't imagine what kind of licensing voodoo is necessary to make this game happen legally. 

• Haha 3