IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

45 minutes ago, CMR said:

Why not just buy a PC instead of an Xbox One or PS4?

That ones easy. You know if you buy an xbox game it will run on the xbox. Its premade for the games you buy. PC isn't necessarily. Right now the VCS only has games that can already be ran by a RPi.

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

At least he is showing actual interest in Atari and Atari related stuff. Generally the supporters only care to shill and complain that only 4 of them don't have concerns. Lucas C evidently is upset that someone is acting like him on reddit.

Brandon at least isn't like them. I hope him and John get something. He does need to work on his English though.

Touché ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CMR said:

Why not just buy a PC instead of an Xbox One or PS4?

xbone and ps4 are not making sandbox mode as one of their selling points

might I add, I have no idea how you modern console guys keep it straight, with names like xbox one x pro new U II VR 4 lite every 6 months, I kind of gave up on it back when playstation 1 and N64 games started listing system requirements on the back of the box 

Edited by Osgeld
  • Haha 3

Because PlayStation and Xbox have cultivated a healthy ecosystem of content over the past two decades. 

Atari wants to ride their coattails and pretend there done the work, and that they somehow deserve attention because they bought the name of a company that stopped making games in 1996. 

It's good that only a few people are falling for it. 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Because PlayStation and Xbox have cultivated a healthy ecosystem of content over the past two decades. 

Atari wants to ride their coattails and pretend there done the work, and that they somehow deserve attention because they bought the name of a company that stopped making games in 1996. 

It's good that only a few people are falling for it. 

I'm sorry, but I can't help but say what has previously been said .... over and over and over and over again.  I'm still compelled to randomly say ... "It's so f#cking sad!!"

I mean, about an hour ago (@work), this 47 year old briefly acted like a 12 year old as I processed my ebay purchase of 9 mint 2600 carts for my playing pleasure, adding to my 210+ unique cart collection, that I still play and use to compete in the HSC.  Old-era Atari 40- year old games for a 40+ year old system for a 40+ year old man with a huge smile on his 40 inch fat head.  That's what Atari means to most of us AND why this thread is 800+ pages long.

And to prove my point.  I dare any of the troops NOT to either smile, chuckle, have a fond memory or otherwise when viewing whats below!

atari.gif.6364ff62dc3cd40880cdc86e7879b835.gifatariad1.gif.c38ac900f8a9b71af9f2463fab7ade2b.gifatariad2.gif.606ac033b841ff153b87282eb320a98f.gifatariad3.gif.d6b4e4854f661939878e3090351675cf.gif

atariad5.gif.bd802d86b4882e506a1630a6d57ffe8f.gifluther.gif.935de3653865f9b1c546946986784262.gifatariad6.gif.f275579a5200de1f3001c16cc7d3f927.gif

soapbox.gif.12960e03f1b8c8183bb0888fc4f0c8eb.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

This press release was just posted on Reddit:

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/09/30/1922211/0/en/Atari-Partners-With-Antstream-Arcade-to-Deliver-Thousands-of-Retro-Games-to-Atari-Vcs-Video-Computer-System.html

Atari® Partners With Antstream Arcade to Deliver Thousands of Retro Games to Atari Vcs™ Video Computer System

Paris, September 30, 2019 (8:00 am CET) - Atari® - one of the world's most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers - today proudly announces a partnership with revolutionary retro gaming platform Antstream Arcade. This partnership brings an enhanced and exclusive “Atari Edition” of Antstream’s game streaming service to the upcoming Atari VCS™ home gaming and entertainment system. 

The exclusive Atari VCS edition of Antstream Arcade unlocks an instantly-accessible collection of classic video game titles. In addition to an existing library of 2,000+ officially licensed games, the exclusive Antstream Arcade Atari VCS app will include the largest collection of Atari games available on demand, in both original and enhanced edition formats, curated from across the brand’s many arcade, home, and handheld platforms. Accessible from the Atari VCS system dashboard at launch, the Antstream Arcade app for the Atari VCS offers a 30-day free trial, with subscription options available from $7.99(US)/month (total $95.88).

...[clipped]....

Antstream Arcade on the Atari VCS will exclusively offer fifty classic Atari titles at launch for new and existing Antstream Arcade users to enjoy whenever they sign on from their Atari VCS system, with additional games added on a steady basis. Antstream Arcade titles will be compatible with the Atari VCS Classic Joystick and Atari VCS Modern Controller, including rumble and LED lighting effects. Enhanced game editions with new functionality such as multiplayer and “pure” unmodified versions of classic Atari games will be available. In addition, Atari and Antstream Arcade will deliver a constant flow of all-new creative social challenges to engage and incentivize fans to experience their favorite retro games in unique ways. Popular Atari titles appearing via the Atari VCS Edition of Antstream Arcade include standalone retro classics — from Adventure, Night Driver, Pong®, Tempest® 2000, and Yars’ Revenge® — and full Atari compilations from PlayStation, Xbox, and PC platforms.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Looks like Atari has partnered up with Antstream Arcade. It says 2000 games but their website just says over 400? Don't know. Nothing to get excited about. I can already stream that and it costs extra. So all that really says to me is that they are giving them license to now have Atari IPs.

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/09/30/1922211/0/en/Atari-Partners-With-Antstream-Arcade-to-Deliver-Thousands-of-Retro-Games-to-Atari-Vcs-Video-Computer-System.html

1 minute ago, Paul Slocum said:

Jinx!

Not impressive. I am sure the service is neat but I don't think this is what people are looking for in terms of games. Also the discrepancy between that post of over 2000 and the Antream website of over 400 is interesting. Seems like a lot of Amiga and C64 with a spattering of Arcade.

If you are intrigued you can stream now from a computer, mobile, tablet, fire stick, ps4, xbox, switch. So.....yeah. Neat but nothing ground breaking. Its really more of a whore out the IP move than it is giving the backers games.

• Like 2

Available on just about everything for $7.99/month.   I guess the big news with Atari would be Linux support. 

What platforms is Antstream Arcade available on?

At launch, the Antstream Arcade application will be available on Mac, PC, Xbox One, Android tablet and mobile devices, Nvidia Shield, and Amazon Fire Stick, with other platforms becoming available later, including PS4 thanks to the incredible response to our Kickstarter campaign!

https://antstream.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360002004978-FAQs-What-devices-can-I-play-Antstream-Arcade-on-

• Like 3

16 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Don't know why the admin turned off commenting for the last post?  Have the admin turn off commenting for your post, too!

AF951112-14A9-4986-9084-E55CCE7F077A.jpeg

(edited because omg huge image)

I was in that group solely to watch the unfolding shitshow. Unfortunately I couldn't bear to watch anymore mental gymnastics, inanity and blind fanboyism (despite how funny it might have been) so I had to leave.

It really is a tinpot dictatorship over there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Jinx!

Not impressive. I am sure the service is neat but I don't think this is what people are looking for in terms of games. Also the discrepancy between that post of over 2000 and the Antream website of over 400 is interesting. Seems like a lot of Amiga and C64 with a spattering of Arcade.

If you are intrigued you can stream now from a computer, mobile, tablet, fire stick, ps4, xbox, switch. So.....yeah. Neat but nothing ground breaking. Its really more of a whore out the IP move than it is giving the backers games.

I tried Anstream Arcade for a couple of months. As you say is mostly C64, Amiga, an Spectrum, Some Arcade and Genesis/Megadrive. Good initiative but not mature. I find mobile experience a bit awkward because of the controls layout, and the network performance isn't that great too.

So, Atari SA has been saying since the beginning that the thing would ship with Atari Vault which has everything worth playing that they have rights to. So how does the availability of a subscription retro game streaming service available to virtually all devices impact what they were supposed to include for free?

• Like 3

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this announcement amounts to a few extra vintage games on a streaming service that's already available on virtually any connected device, including the phone in my hand.

I'm sure the supporter dullards will be super excited but honestly, who cares? It's just another Netflix mom "me too" feature.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, bmadgames said:

I'm actually somewhat excited by this. Atari specifically mentioned games from arcade, home, and portable consoles. Does that mean we might see some Lynx games?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how many of those games they still own the rights too. Also while I don't consider it portable, they could just be referencing their mobil stuff.

16 minutes ago, JBerel said:

So, Atari SA has been saying since the beginning that the thing would ship with Atari Vault which has everything worth playing that they have rights to. So how does the availability of a subscription retro game streaming service available to virtually all devices impact what they were supposed to include for free?

I was wondering if they hit a snag and couldn't get their OS to play Vault properly.

• Haha 4

What strikes me as remarkable about this announcement is how unremarkable it is. It's not really worthy of a press release. It seems like a missed opportunity not to offer a lifetime subscription for the Atari VCS, considering how few will be sold. (Lifetime of the Antstream service of course, not the user). 

Accessible from the Atari VCS system dashboard at launch, the Antstream Arcade app for the Atari VCS offers a 30-day free trial, with subscription options available from $7.99(US)/month (total $95.88).

It's just too expensive for what it is. The games on offer are smaller than the streaming bandwidth they'll use. 

I guess it took some effort behind the scenes to make this happen, but we just expect Netflix and Hulu and stuff like that. Look how excited Fred is pretending to be

Antstream Arcade is a perfect partner for Atari and its fans,” said Atari CEO Frédéric Chesnais. “Anstream’s offering lets players instantly access a vast library of games, including many Atari titles that have not been available for streaming before now. This partnership further cements the Atari VCS as a highly versatile entertainment platform and multimedia streaming device, built to embrace the best of classic and modern gaming.”

As if these games couldn't be emulated in any old potato computer. ? ? The same things that could run Antstream, too. 

And it's the same old tat that's bundled with Atari Vault. Again. 

Popular Atari titles appearing via the Atari VCS Edition of Antstream Arcade include standalone retro classics — from Adventure, Night Driver, Pong®, Tempest® 2000, and Yars’ Revenge® — and full Atari compilations from PlayStation, Xbox, and PC platforms. 

There's just not that much there there. Who is this being made for?

• Like 5