IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

That is why I haven't been following this thread on a regular basis.  This isn't much of value to be learned in this thread and listening to people trolling and pissing & moaning is not a productive use of my time.

I actually just kinda came back from a long break from here too, but that's because I had just had a honeymoon with my Sega Genesis Mini-- a beautiful device made by my #1 favorite video game company that is in fact a real console.... even if it is just a mini.... STILL-- It's brand new Sega hardware, made by Sega!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

That is why I haven't been following this thread on a regular basis.  This isn't much of value to be learned in this thread and listening to people trolling and pissing & moaning is not a productive use of my time.

Raising legitimate questions about a product like this and pointing out Atari's constant lack of poor customer service isn't trolling, pissing or moaning. I'd think that a company like Atari outright lying to their customers, over and over again, is a cause for concern and worth pointing out. For the trolling there is, it's in good fun. But it's naive to think that Atari hasn't released today's "updates" because of customers demanding to know if the thing is legitimately in production or not.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added a thought
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

You know, I've been thinking, and I've come to the conclusion that you're right. I think some of us have the wrong idea about this project. After all, Fred Chesnais and company bought the name fair and square, and they've earned the right to do whatever they want with the name. It's pretty courageous to get out there and go toe to toe with the giants of industry, with nothing but a can-do attitude. Guys like Mike Arzt and Rob Wyatt never succumbed to the negativity. They just roll up their sleeves every day and go to work, to make the New Atari VCS the damn best video computer system they can. They may not have all the software developers of the big guys, but they've got heart, and that's what's lacking in the game industry today. It doesn't matter if their specs are a little lower than the others, or their price is a little higher, because I just know we'll be able to feel the love and care put into each and every Atari VCS system. You could almost say that the waiting is the best part! If a few more months could make the product a little bit better, I'd rather wait and have a machine that comes out that much better. Atari Vault is a really inspired collection, something I would have loved as a little kid since it's just chock full of all my favorites from the arcade, like Centipede and Missile Command -- both the arcade AND the home versions, which is something I never thought I'd see in one place. I also really appreciate everything Mr. Wyatt said about freedom. Other consoles are a walled garden and control what you can install, but this is like a little PC and there's no way I'd be able to build or buy anything this nice at that price, especially with an Atari logo. It really is a neat project and I wish them all the very best. 

Actually, nah.

Commodity hardware, at high prices, with no unique software, and no compelling reason to exist, poorly communicated, and delayed for ages isn't needed. This project is dumb. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

13 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Commodity hardware, at high prices, with no unique software, and no compelling reason to exist, poorly communicated, and delayed for ages isn't needed. This project is dumb.

No, people will find something cool in it, maybe it can be hacked to shit and you can use it for something else.  Like you can do with many other hardware products.

• Like 1

Hey, there's one update that everyone missed. Tin Giant updated their site -- for real this time (I swear it's true!)

Remember that Sept 23 2018 "test post?" Well, it's gone now. New site look! BEHOLD

TinGiant.thumb.PNG.1ac5fdfde37289a08ccb6839ec4d5765.PNG

Fortunately, they kept the sandwich, and the classic text, because you don't mess with perfection. 

You might be an artist who would like to introduce yourself and your work here or maybe you’re a business with a mission to describe.

So true, so true. 

• Like 5

It's always fun to watch the Ataribollocks(tm) faithful come out of the woodwork whenever there's another announcement full of words that amount to nothing.

One recommendation for them: read all of the posts from the previous 24 hours or so before making one.  Sure, it's fun to go off all hair-trigger and suchlike in that rush to be first to make a point - but chances are that someone else beat you to it.

• Like 4

So SpawnWaveMedia, a channel I highly recommend, made a video talking about the Atari VCS prototype shown earlier today, and he found something that I would like to share with the class. The board, for the most part, looks legit. It does seem to be using a Ryzen Embedded R1000 family APU, but he noticed a couple things about it that looked off.

First off, no RAM chips or slots. Now, giving benefit of the doubt, this silly little prototype could have those on the bottom, but it's still strange that it's not right next to the APU.

The next thing, and this is more pertinent: he noticed a company on the board that wasn't Atari on the bottom left. It's a brand named, "AskPCB". The company behind the brand, ASK Technology Ltd. prides itself on quick prototyping of PCBs, with turnaround times as short as 24 hours.

unknown.png

I'm not going to mince words, I'm not going to try to act cautiously optimistic or try to find a reason the board prototype was made by an outsourced company that can make such boards in a day, I'm just going to state my thoughts: this new prototype now makes far too much sense and reeks heavily of desperation more than anything. The Register only broke their story about the terrible state of the VCS project 4 days ago, and the reveal of the prototype motherboard was seemingly tacked onto the Antstream partnership as a last minute addition, almost like it needed to be shown as soon as possible since announcing a streaming service just after pissing off so many people would only be seen as insulting at this point. Usually, when Atari has something they want to show or tell us, they hype it up like they're Steve Ballmer on stage. But no, they just shove out a picture of a naked board in hopes it would satiate the masses for another couple months. It only seems to make sense that the reason this board was shown off in such a quick and sloppy matter was to shut up critics and angry customers alike.

I'm just going to say it right now: any minute notions that I had that this console was going to release to backers in December, even if buggy and untested, are gone. I'm almost certain at this point that if this thing does release, it won't be until late 2020, and that's assuming it even comes out at all. They aren't anywhere close to primetime, and this prototype being, as SpawnWave put it, "an overnight science fair project," is just downright insulting. I legitimately hope my cynical assumptions are proven wrong, but Atari SA has long since killed off any good will or benefit of the doubt I've been willing to give them long, LONG ago.

Edited by DurradonXylles
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Don't take this wrong way, I'm as skeptical of Atari as the next guy, but the RAM on the flip side for something using an embedded AMD APU is not unusual at all.  In fact other products that plan to use an AMD embedded APU have shown their motherboards with the same arrangement.

• Like 1

This comes back to the point I raised earlier today regarding low-volume Chinese PCB fab shops.

Send them your Eagle layout, get a PCB back.  Minimum order 10.

Speaking from experience on this one; we've done exactly that to prototype conference badges.

Anyone can do it, and that includes Atari SA.  This mobo proves nothing.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OverMuch said:

Jesus Christ. ?

1EF26ACD-1BFD-47B0-B10E-6D4E82D22304.jpeg

Yeah, I knew somebody would post some sort of crowing response like that.  I can only reiterate something I said months ago:

On 6/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, jaybird3rd said:

The argument hasn't been that they will release *nothing*, but that what they finally *do* release will fail to live up to the hype, because KookyFrenchGuyAtari does not have the necessary talent or resources to create anything sufficiently different from other alternatives to justify the $3M that they raised from crowdfunding. When "that Ataribox?" finally does shipwhatever it ends up beingand when the True Believers inevitably claim that this somehow "proves the naysayers wrong," they will only be setting up a straw man.

It's true that they've shown nothing tangible, but let's remember that they've also released several pictures and videos of the "prototype" in action that were highly questionable, if not demonstrably faked. (I'm thinking specifically of the video of Tempest 4000 supposedly being played on a prototype "that Ataribox?" console, even though Llamasoft never created a Linux version of T4K and knew nothing about it.)

On 5/31/2019 at 2:16 PM, jaybird3rd said:

It doesn't matter, because the fanatics who have been making fools of themselves by publicly hyping "that Ataribox?" for years will never admit it. When they finally get their hands on whatever KookyFrenchGuyAtari ends up sending them, the most enjoyment they'll get out of it will come from gloating about having it, and thus having "proved the naysayers wrong" or some such. Of course that completely misses the point, since most of us never claimed that they would get nothing, but intellectual integrity doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

• Like 11

Nice to see at least something physically tangible out of Atari even if it's a quickly produced board. It shows more than nothing. How much more is really up for debate. Myself I don't think that is a working board but would love to be proven dead wrong. Mind you, they sure didn't show it powered up an running and it is missing key parts that would allow it to work at all. Hopefully there is more positive momentum like this. It would be really cool if this isn't a pricey round of smoke and mirrors to fend off the pitchforks.

• Like 4

On 9/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, Osgeld said:

might I add, I have no idea how you modern console guys keep it straight, with names like xbox one x pro new U II VR 4 lite every 6 months, I kind of gave up on it back when playstation 1 and N64 games started listing system requirements on the back of the box 

Yep, because Intel, Nvidia and AMD have much more straight forward product names ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

That would totally fit in a shoe box!

:lol:  You got that in Beefy before another 20 troops were going to do, or at least think, the same.  Gold. :lol:

10 hours ago, OverMuch said:

Jesus Christ. ?

1EF26ACD-1BFD-47B0-B10E-6D4E82D22304.jpeg

winsauce.gif.bdf4deb9b77236f3de5d354a70b34e9c.gif

5 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

No, people will find something cool in it, maybe it can be hacked to shit and you can use it for something else.  Like you can do with many other hardware products.

doorstop.jpg.3ff0058c6b94607ed8112524d6c3d89b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

Funny, because you came into this to try to troll us and are literally "pissing & moaning" about this thread. 

I do find it interesting that even supporters such as yourself don't find Atari's updates exciting enough to put over in the FAQ thread.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

New Atari Console that Ataribox?
By Goochman, June 9, 2017 in Atari 2600   ?

Does Goochman even still visit this thread? I sometimes think, man, could you have possibly thought this thread would evolve into 

the 850+ pages of Taco Goodness? When will it end? HOW will it end? ?

He created one of the greatest threads ever and left us.

So this is what it feels like to have Superman abandon your planet.

?Oh, @Goochman where are you now? When every thing's gone taco somehow??

• Like 1
  • Haha 5