IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Yo, Atari, I'mma make it easy for you:  Linux-ready 3.5-inch SBC can load Ryzen Embedded V1000 or R1000

I believe it checks off all the necessary boxes; namely the R1606G/R1505G CPU options, low temperatures, and small formfactor (147 x 102mm/5.8" x 4").  While the price is not disclosed, it seems to be a thing that actually exists now.  Request a quote here:  https://www.ibase.com.tw/english/ProductDetail/EmbeddedComputing/IB918

But it's also a reminder that--if made--the Atari VCS will have the same computing power as your fast food restaurant's ordering kiosk:

Applications are said to include panel PC, kiosk, POS, medical display and industrial scenarios.

ibase_ib918_detail.jpg

ibase_ib918_detail2.jpg

It needs RAM, a M.2 WiFi, and storage.  I don't know if it has eMMC storage, so you may need to populate that second M.2 slot.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The question is whats on the other side of the board... It's all well and good to say there is probably RAM, however as they have mentioned RAM depends on the package then im assuming they're hiding it for a reason. Most would show two photos one of each side including the said RAM.

7 hours ago, JaqenHghar said:

Don't worry. Now that they have a prototype board I'm sure they'll be getting started on writing the AtariOS presently. It should be done in a jiff. (I know I know.... It's supposed to be based on Linux but you see they're writing a new perfect Linux workalike from scratch.)

No that's already been worked on. Just use a version of ES. They don't have a store to buy from them so all they need is a raspberry pi setup.

If they do set up a store in their OS, what is the likelyhood after you buy a game they just give you a Steam key? You know for that sandbox mode.

4 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Yo, Atari, I'mma make it easy for you:  Linux-ready 3.5-inch SBC can load Ryzen Embedded V1000 or R1000

Good find. I'm tempted to ask for a price quote. 

These type of boards are all over the place. Just the first few search hits include:

https://portwell.com/products/detail.php?CUSTCHAR1=GCM-B630 620

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-embedded-r1000-family-launched/

https://circuitcellar.com/cc-blog/rugged-come-board-sports-ryzen-embedded-v1000-r1000-soc/

https://www.menmicro.com/products/rugged-com-express/15cb71/

I would guess the "Atari" solution is a <$100 part. More rugged and well-equipped systems using this tech have been available for over a year, albeit for much more money than "Atari" is asking. 

This page has some benchmarks for the SOC. Looks like the backers should expect low-end, embedded graphics levels of performance, as we've been saying for years. Power comes with more of a price than they're asking. Seriously pigeons, just buy a proper PC. 

AMD-Ryzen-Embedded-R1000-Performance.thumb.jpg.c301aa7082a3e059d6fb3f34285c39fd.jpg

3 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

The question is whats on the other side of the board... It's all well and good to say there is probably RAM, however as they have mentioned RAM depends on the package then im assuming they're hiding it for a reason. Most would show two photos one of each side including the said RAM.

Here are some fully-populated production boards from the above links. I guess one could silkscreen the Atari logo on any of them for a sneak preview. RAM could be soldered to the board, or installed in a socket (this one has a socket on both sides). Neither appears in the "Atari" image, probably because it's not finished. They should show it plugged in and playing good old Borderlands 2 with FPS counter turned on

65457299_ScreenShot2019-10-03at8_40_41AM.thumb.png.1ad74098d9ca5a9b79e18ae9cd841566.png

2054797534_GCM-B630620-v.thumb.jpg.40f8fd0bf59aae16cd99213524bf16cd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

No that's already been worked on. Just use a version of ES. They don't have a store to buy from them so all they need is a raspberry pi setup.

If they do set up a store in their OS, what is the likelyhood after you buy a game they just give you a Steam key? You know for that sandbox mode.

They have a plan for that, at least so long as "Atari" is able to pay the bills to keep the service running. 

Their partner is XSolla (and one of these "GLOBAL CLIENTS" is not like the others)

1194375061_ScreenShot2019-10-03at8_53_13AM.thumb.png.87cfa02960e59a61ffcd5fc5563026b0.png

so "Atari" can rent out a thing that does that already. Holistic ecosystem. No raw edges. 

1482468647_ScreenShot2019-10-03at8_54_40AM.thumb.png.56109d7eb77c66c29917b61f3c713533.png

1704376199_ScreenShot2019-10-03at8_54_54AM.thumb.png.5eb7b6bec2cd566e207d42d2260b67cd.png

660028696_ScreenShot2019-10-03at8_55_04AM.thumb.png.7c1b42525c0e1b56314f94585e3363e2.png

Now all they have to do is find some content to sell. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

They have a plan for that, at least so long as "Atari" is able to pay the bills to keep the service running. 

Their partner is XSolla (and one of these "GLOBAL CLIENTS" is not like the others)

Now all they have to do is find some content to sell.

Dude, the blockchain will totally take care of that for them.

• Haha 2

1932301815_globalclients.thumb.png.109228df5b3a136121c11778d694310c.png

Twitch: 15 million active users, 1 million average concurrent users

Steam: 1 billion accounts, 90 million active users

PUBG: as many as 200 million mobile users, 30 million active users

Epic's Fortnite: nearly 250 million players, 10.8 million concurrent users

Roblox: 100 million active users

Ubisoft's Rainbow Six: 40 million players

Atari: 11,623 backers, and one secret weapon

Nexon's Dungeon Fighter Online: 600 million active users

1759105503_ScreenShot2019-10-03at9_29_41AM.thumb.png.03d25573514a38c476866b9bbae565e3.png

This just seems like a ploy to put "Atari" alongside the big dogs. They keep doing this. It won't work with gamers, but thanks to the frequency illusion, it might be more effective than it deserves to be with investors. Tell me how "Atari" isn't a scam, I'm all ears. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Twitch: 15 million active users, 1 million average concurrent users

Steam: 1 billion accounts, 90 million active users

PUBG: as many as 200 million mobile users, 30 million active users

Epic's Fortnite: nearly 250 million players, 10.8 million concurrent users

Roblox: 100 million active users

Ubisoft's Rainbow Six: 40 million players

Atari: 11,623 backers, secret weapon

Nexon's Dungeon Fighter Online: 600 million active users

This just seems like a ploy to put "Atari" alongside the big dogs. They keep doing this. It won't work with gamers, but thanks to the frequency illusion, it might be more effective than it should with investors. Tell me "Atari" isn't a scam, I'm all ears.

Agreed, and I've long been of the opinion that Atari SA is utterly, utterly radioactive to investors and has been for some time.  We're talking a sixteen-different-flavours-of-Chernobyl level of radioactive here; don't even look at it without lead-lined goggles.

The thing is, investors aren't currently throwing money at gaming.  That market is sewn up.  Ditto blockchain: its bubble burst and everyone figured out that it's the application of the technology, not the technology itself, that makes money.  They also figured out that it was basically a manipulable foreign exchange market, but that's tangental.

Which leaves Atari SA sitting alone with bugger-all to show for themselves.  The only way the company makes sense as an investment is to pick it up in a fire sale, immediately can all of the existing management, and liquidate the existing IP for whatever you can get for it - effectively, buy it to part it out and watch it disappear.

I'd expect that to start looking likely if / when the stock drops below €0.20 for longer than, say, four weeks.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3

Did another comparison between two images this morning, one of the motherboard pic and another picture from Tom's Hardware, when they took pictures of that see-through version of the case.

Comparing the two side by side, I can clearly tell that all the holes and components line up with each other in the two shots. So I guess this can be a confidence-builder for those of us that did back it. The overall layout actually makes sense when you see it this way, and you can tell that the motherboard was definitely designed for the casing. There's a fan in that "big space" where we thought the RAM should go-- so the RAM has to be on the underside of the board.

The best theory I can come up with is, if you look on the Indiegogo page, both the 400 and 800 models are listed as being "upgradeable" for their RAM. Having the RAM on the bottom actually makes a lot of sense in that regard, because the underside of this motherboard would be the bottom side of the console's casing, and there's probably going to be a removable panel to give you easy access to the RAM (hopefully). 

That.... would actually be pretty neat, from a hardware standpoint... Does it change my opinion about the company behind this project or the notion that it would fail? Nope, not at all. xD This is just merely some observations I was able to make just now.

image.thumb.png.b14ee7a085442b243b66f90c3f74c884.png 

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 4

I dunno ... 

it's a prototype board from a quickie fabricator

there's no board in the clear shell

i would think the fan would sit on top of the APU (not over RAM), this seems offset

we've never seen anything plugged in and working

it's nice to be bullish on a thing you bought, though. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

It's true guys. I've been exposed by the sleuths in the AtariVCS Supporters Group and I would like to reveal my true identity to my AA fam. My real name is Thomas Tolorocko, I enjoy driving crazy YouTubers around in my cherry red 1971 Ford Pinto where I evangelize the up and coming Intellivision AMIGO in preparation for the upcoming console wars!!!!!!

Viva la revolución!

I better get Intellivision legal ready for the onslaught! 

fy7yexqlff631.png

So when are you going to change your name to IntellivisionJoe?

I thought we would throw them off the trail by giving you that name.  Darn kids!!  Foiled again!  :)

Atari doesn't need our help to destroy them. They're doing a fine job all by themselves.  ;)

Seriously though... I want them to do well so we can continue the OG Console War (except this time we win!) but more importantly I hope the folks who backed it will receive something they are satisfied with.

At this point they should market the thing as a console that plays Steam & arcade games in your living room. I know Steam tried and failed... but the Atari brand might be able to pull it off to average consumers who don't even know that things like Steam exist.  (Only 20% of the $140B in game industry revenue came from PC/Mac).  And, Atari could do other deals with other companies and services as well.  Do a deal with Steam so that all AtariVCS owners get a reduced cost on every Steam game (20%).  That may then attract console gamers as the machine ends up paying for itself in reduced software costs over time and access to a great variety of Indie games that they typical would never get a chance to play on the big 3 home consoles.  Steam would do it as it attracts a new audience to their platform that Atari would be paying for through their marketing. 

Offer things like AntStream and GOG as well. Have all the icons for all these things (EPIC store too!) embedded right on the front screen as soon as it turns on.  Have MAME as well and do a deal with all the game publishers to sell the original arcade ROM versions.  Costs nothing of the publishers... free money for them. They are already doing similar deals with others like the mini arcades.

Make the thing a true retro and indie game powerhouse that is super simple to turn on and use and where everything is all in one place in my living room.  

Anyway... just a thought about what I would personally try to do at this point if tasked with the challenge of trying to save the machine.  

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Here are some fully-populated production boards from the above links. I guess one could silkscreen the Atari logo on any of them for a sneak preview. RAM could be soldered to the board, or installed in a socket (this one has a socket on both sides). Neither appears in the "Atari" image, probably because it's not finished. They should show it plugged in and playing good old Borderlands 2 with FPS counter turned on.

Yes indeed however surface mount or socket is the part that has my curiosity ticking. If surface mounted, those who bought a 4gig model would be sadly disappointed when trying to upgrade the RAM. It almost looks like their hiding the RAM even though that's the main difference of their models listed.

26 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Did another comparison between two images this morning, one of the motherboard pic and another picture from Tom's Hardware, when they took pictures of that see-through version of the case.

Comparing the two side by side, I can clearly tell that all the holes and components line up with each other in the two shots. So I guess this can be a confidence-builder for those of us that did back it. The overall layout actually makes sense when you see it this way. There's a fan in that "big space" where we thought the RAM should go-- so the RAM has to be on the underside of the board.

When did Tomshardware take the photo of the translucent case?  Haven't been following things over there, so the timeline isn't really clear to me.

Remember that the Ryzen board was a relatively late-in-the-game hardware change.  If the photo they have was of a device with the original PCB in it, it may not apply to the board that was shown a few days ago.

The two boards don't look comparable to my eyes.  Fans are usually placed directly over the CPU (or APU, in this case), and looking at the location of the fan plus the ducting, it appears to be located on the opposite side of the PCB in relation to the one shown recently.  That would put it in the middle of the blank space on the new one, which would be the worst location on the board for a cooling fan - it would pass over the CPU entirely, and unless that part of the PCB is constructed of mesh won't do anything to cool the RAM.

Late edit: they're not the same board.  The standoff spacing on the PCBs doesn't match up, and there should be PCB visible between the rear panel where the USB, HDMI, etc. connectors are located and the ducting since the connectors are hard-mounted to the new PCB.  There isn't any board to be seen in that space.  They aren't the same thing; any comparisons between the two are invalid.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I dunno ... 

it's a prototype board from a quickie fabricator

there's no board in the clear shell

i would think the fan would sit on top of the APU (not over RAM), this seems offset

we've never seen anything plugged in and working

it's nice to be bullish on a thing you bought, though. 

Is it just me, or does the board in the translucent shell look like an off-the-shelf video card with additional ducting obscuring its surface?

Yeah, I realise the comparison I'm getting at here...  But it is eerily-similar.  And the more I look at it, the less I'm seeing a system board.

6 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

To me it looks like the fan is way off.  Shouldn't the fan be directly underneath the processor?  Instead it looks like the cooling shaft is on top blocking any airflow to the processor.

Yeah, I agree the fan is placed in a funny spot. Not sure why they went with that decision...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

When did Tomshardware take the photo of the translucent case?  Haven't been following things over there, so the timeline isn't really clear to me.

Remember that the Ryzen board was a relatively late-in-the-game hardware change.  If the photo they have was of a device with the original PCB in it, it may not apply to the board that was shown a few days ago.

The two boards don't look comparable to my eyes.  Fans are usually placed directly over the CPU (or APU, in this case), and looking at the location of the fan plus the ducting, it appears to be located on the opposite side of the PCB in relation to the one shown recently.  That would put it in the middle of the blank space, which would be the worst location on the board for a cooling fan - it would pass over the CPU entirely, and unless that part of the PCB is constructed of mesh won't do anything to cool the RAM.

That was actually back in June, during E3. o:

Original article here: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/atari-vcs-raspberry-pi-gaming-desktop-pc,39647.html

7 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

To me it looks like the fan is way off.  Shouldn't the fan be directly underneath the processor?  Instead it looks like the cooling shaft is on top blocking any airflow to the processor.

Im thinking it's still on the heatsink just that they have opted for a heatsink that overhangs off to the side. Like everyone else i have no idea why they would, unless they wanted a thinner yet larger heatsink. The holes do line up for the processor though from looking at Lodmot's side by side images.

• Like 2

More giveaways that these are not the same boards:

Looking again at the connectors on the back panel of the translucent case, the rear of the rightmost USB 3.0 port is visible (note the strip of blue plastic showing).  Directly beneath it, there's no PCB visible; the grey that you're seeing is the lower interior (i.e., bottom) of the case.  Frankly, all of the ports in that row appear to have been attached to the rear wall of the case with no cabling or PCB connecting them to anything.

To the right of that same USB connector on the new board, there's a small blue switch.  On the translucent case, it should be sandwiched between the USB port in question and where the ducting exits at the rear of the case.  It's not present on the translucent case.

There's an entire strip of PCB that should be visible South of the fan and ducting if the new PCB were in use; compare positioning of the fan and ducting standoffs for reference.  That's not present.

I'm not going to go so far as to call either one fake, but I am going to say that the two are definitely not the same.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

More giveaways that these are not the same boards:

Looking again at the connectors on the back panel of the translucent case, the rear of the rightmost USB 3.0 port is visible (note the strip of blue plastic showing).  Directly beneath it, there's no PCB showing; the grey that you're seeing is the lower interior (i.e., bottom) of the case.  Frankly, all of the ports in that row appear to have been attached to the rear wall of the case with no cabling or PCB connecting them to anything.

To the right of that same USB connector on the new board, there's a small blue switch.  On the translucent case, it should be sandwiched between the USB port in question and where the ducting exits at the rear of the case.  It's not present on the translucent case.

There's an entire strip of PCB that should be visible South of the fan and ducting if the new PCB were in use; compare positioning of the fan and ducting standoffs for reference.  That's not present.

I'm not going to go so far as to call either one fake, but I am going to say that the two are definitely not the same.

I noticed that too about the missing 2nd blue switch. I'm still curious what that's actually going to be for. Best I could tell, it seems like when the whole unit is together, that switch would be accessible through one of the vent holes. It's probably just a reset switch though, lol.

On a side note-- hardware is fun as balls. xD

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

Honestly it just looks like some leftover laptop internals used as a placeholder to appease those wanting to see something in the case. The only way you could prove that is to actually have shown what was in the case, which they clearly have not done and will not do. 

I do like to be proven wrong, however. Especially in cases.... like this.

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 2