IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

24 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

MY NAME IS ANDREW WERNER, MY AUTHORITY IS ABSOLUTE!

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 1.43.43 AM.png

but, seriously- this is what happens if you have an opinion different than their groupspeak. you know what really ticks them off?  daring to show proof that you're right ;)

He'll probably end up banning himself, since he jumped to the conclusion that Atari VCS will be released soon without any corroboration whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

MY NAME IS ANDREW WERNER, MY AUTHORITY IS ABSOLUTE!

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 1.43.43 AM.png

but, seriously- this is what happens if you have an opinion different than their groupspeak. you know what really ticks them off?  daring to show proof that you're right ;)

What is the point of that group, anyway, other than to make Andrew feel like he's the boss of something? They only want to hear good news, but if that existed, they wouldn't need a super-exclusive private club to discuss it. Just thinking about it fills me with depression and sadness. 

• Like 10

I'm sure the banhammers and astroturfing will translate directly into the sales of more Atariboxes... right?  Right?  I mean, it's not like Atari has gotten every penny they can out of this fiasco, and it's destined to be a money-loser from this point forward... that can't be it...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

What is the point of that group, anyway, other than to make Andrew feel like he's the boss of something? They only want to hear good news, but if that existed, they wouldn't need a super-exclusive private club to discuss it. Just thinking about it fills me with depression and sadness. 

It's so that we, the great unwashed taco-consuming masses, are all forced to sit here asking the eternally-burning question: why won't those stupid idiots let me in their crappy club for jerks?

At least, I suspect that that's how it plays out in Andrew's head.  He was right about the taco-consuming part, however.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

I'm sure the banhammers and astroturfing will translate directly into the sales of more Atariboxes... right?  Right?  I mean, it's not like Atari has gotten every penny they can out of this fiasco, and it's destined to be a money-loser from this point forward... that can't be it...

What I'm failing to understand is why Atari SA hasn't stepped in and asked him to knock it off.  With friends like that, etc.

Then again, maybe they think that being a dictatorial asshole is a great way to make your goods and/or services look awesome.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

What I'm failing to understand is why Atari SA hasn't stepped in and asked him to knock it off.  With friends like that, etc.

Then again, maybe they think that being a dictatorial asshole is a great way to make your goods and/or services look awesome.

I guarantee you that's the case.  These people are all about "protecting the brand".

• Like 5

I haven't dipped my toe in the water until now, but feel motivated to write - regardless of the provocations, misinformation, he-said, she-said... despite all of that.... the professionalism of the company spokesperson(s) pretty much says a lot about the professionalism of the company itself. What a walking disaster.

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Mr. Werner is, in my opinion, a paranoid, little troll.  Especially when he thinks he has the authority to post sarcastic responses himself. 

1821857404_paranoidWerner.jpg.6534af415edf2437510d6c0d644cec3c.jpg

In other news, UberStrategist absolutely sucks at messaging.  The onus isn't on anyone to hunt down a single post or two to find out if the VCS still includes games.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

Mr. Werner is, in my opinion, a paranoid, little troll.  Especially when he thinks he has the authority to post sarcastic responses himself. 

Those goobers are quite amusing, and just the sort of brand ambassadors you would expect from snake oil salesmen. They're perfect for each other.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Or apathy at times, at least for me, but it is also surreal. I am trying to think about anything in the gaming world that has gone on like this and so far down this road, and I can't think of something this bizarre. Pash shenanigans don't come close (that game watch thingie? Never followed that...). 

16 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

I was tired and I first read that last bit as "post sarcastic responses to himself", but that would not surprise me either.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

That actually seems to be close to the line of thinking there.  All the mean Youtubers ans Atari Agers are costing Atari sales. In their minds, they are fighting a crusade to save their beloved company.   This is serious business for the Werner Brothers. 

When this system fails, it won't be because it was an obvious scam.  They will blame the death of it on us ignorant mouth breathers 

• Like 1

I don’t want to go into the psychological intricacies of why some of the mods of that group may be acting the way they do, but I have some theories about people who get overly angry and power hungry over trivial amounts of power and the social trauma they must have experienced throughout their life to act that way. It’s sad in more than one way.

I love video games. I love these 35 year old cartridges and machines, otherwise I wouldn’t be here. But I can’t imagine getting as angry as they do over this stuff. I get passionate about my friends and family, politics, my research, etc. I almost wish my life was so careless and stress free that I could get that heated over this stuff.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

He'll probably end up banning himself, since he jumped to the conclusion that Atari VCS will be released soon without any corroboration whatsoever.

This is the post of the week right here. Atari Dude is the closest thing to real evidence that this thing works or even has a working OS.

5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Been saying this for awhile. Its a hate group. Shawn N Misty Parker are homophobic and have made fun of people by making fun of a picture as being 'Gay Pride'. Same person owns shares in Atari and last time I've checked they still have the posts up. Same person also bears a Confederate flag proudly. I won't go into more detail as to what I think about that in fear this would become political. JohnP and BrandonH seem to be genuinely good people who are overshadowed by the not so much.

3 hours ago, godslabrat said:

If they are an example of the social gaming there will be on the VCS then I would just rather give up on gaming. Yeah Atari is losing sales because of them. There will probably be no March launch because the pre orders won't be high enough. They for sure won't get any self space.

3 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

See above about how their shareholders are openly homophobic and they don't ban that. Atari is for discrimination and hate indoctrination. They are either too hateful to care or two dumb to know how bad it is for them. Both are forms of ignorance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Atari demonstrably bans people they find inconvenient. No more, no less. It's not for personal attacks, hate speech, the "trolling" catch-all, or any of their other silly excuses.

The Parker siblings, the Werners, Lucas...these are simply useful idiots for the cause. Foot soldiers. Enforcers. Atari won't disavow these morons because they'll gladly do Atari's dirty work.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

I don’t want to go into the psychological intricacies of why some of the mods of that group may be acting the way they do, but I have some theories about people who get overly angry and power hungry over trivial amounts of power and the social trauma they must have experienced throughout their life to act that way. It’s sad in more than one way.

I love video games. I love these 35 year old cartridges and machines, otherwise I wouldn’t be here. But I can’t imagine getting as angry as they do over this stuff. I get passionate about my friends and family, politics, my research, etc. I almost wish my life was so careless and stress free that I could get that heated over this stuff.

Oh I am sure they've suffered trauma like lack of a parental figure, or one that was overly angry. Or could be that they are narcissistic. Think the social media is bad? Be glad you aren't his kid or married to him. I would bet this is not the only thing he gets heated about. There was some inside bickering over news stations. It is more likely that he suffers from past trauma and/or anger issues than the VCS coming out in a timely manner, and them continuing to support it much longer than 6 months after release.

And as a note. Just because you have come from a bad background and suffered trauma DOES NOT mean you act this way. Its just a risk factor. Its serious stuff and sad to hear of some people's backgrounds. It is interesting to see how its formed them in a positive or negative way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

The following is personal opinion.

I've long said that, "your most ardent detractors are on your side, they want things to be better; they just might suck at communicating it."

This applies to both sides here. Both sides have people who are a bit zealous in thier beliefs about Atari's efforts thus far.

It's clear that the Pro Atari side including Atari itself are not familiar with the nature of managing an online community. When a inconvenient quest is asked you address it; Even if you don't have a good answer. If you remove it and/or ban people it looks like a cover up and that you have something to hide. It's worse when you do it habitually. 

I think that with the VCS the word "Troll" is a convenient excuse for some to keep themselves insular. And given that Atari SA has at this point not made an effort to keep their PR team in check is tacit approval of sweeping information and questions they don't like under the rug.

It wasn't until there was an uproar that got an update. Unfortunately it will always look like a reactionary effort.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, The Historian said:

The following is personal opinion.

I've long said that, "your most ardent detractors are on your side, they want things to be better; they just might suck at communicating it."

This applies to both sides here. Both sides have people who are a bit zealous in thier beliefs about Atari's efforts thus far.

It's clear that the Pro Atari side including Atari itself are not familiar with the nature of managing an online community. When a inconvenient quest is asked you address it; Even if you don't have a good answer. If you remove it and/or ban people it looks like a cover up and that you have something to hide. It's worse when you do it habitually. 

I think that with the VCS the word "Troll" is a convenient excuse for some to keep themselves insular. And given that Atari SA has at this point not made an effort to keep their PR team in check is tacit approval of sweeping information and questions they don't like under the rug.

It wasn't until there was an uproar that got an update. Unfortunately it will always look like a reactionary effort.

I think that's a little bit generous towards the supporters group. You got booted for doing nothing. Did you get grief here early on. Yes, but I would like to think we got past that knee jerk reaction. You are still allowed here and I'm glad you. The most vocal ones have real anger issues. Most of us are having a fun time laughing at something that has been horribly handled. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2017 at 10:47 AM, Bill Loguidice said:

These comments are just confirming my suggestion that this is targeted to a certain type of Atari die-hard and Linux fanatics. If that's where Atari can turn a profit with this, great (and at the price point they're targeting, there's likely a decent profit margin). To expand beyond that, it obviously needs something more. I guess we'll see if there's more to it when the crowd funding campaign happens.

And again, in comparing this to other current systems out there like the Xbox One S (with game(s) for around $200 or so), it's also important to consider what a bundle like that will cost in Spring 2018, which is the earliest the Ataribox would actually be available (and likely later, as most of these crowd-funding projects slip). It's quite likely that Ataribox will be on the (virtual) shelf next to sub-$200 Xbox One and PS4 bundles, and likely even more (and new generation) streaming boxes from major companies. You always have to ask yourself why someone would buy something. It's extraordinarily unlikely there will be anything on the Ataribox that you can't get elsewhere, with the reverse certainly not true.

Two years later, every word still rings true. 

• Like 5

I just figure it out! The official VCS threads are performance art!

It's a meta commentary about walled gardens.

In this performance, AtariAge plays the role of Sandbox Mode. By contrast the official boards are meant to represent other consoles' totalitarian control, showing you what life would be like if you didn't have a Sandbox.

So bravo on such a clever marketing promotion for Sandbox Mode! :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I haven't dipped my toe in the water until now, but feel motivated to write - regardless of the provocations, misinformation, he-said, she-said... despite all of that.... the professionalism of the company spokesperson(s) pretty much says a lot about the professionalism of the company itself. What a walking disaster.

Also they are paying another company to be their spokesperson (https://uberstrategist.com/). They have are paying for this disaster to continue.

You're on to something there. 

Remember the ONLY reason this thread got to talking about tacos was because there wasn't any official news from the zombie corpse wearing the skin of Atari to talk about. 

if they just released their funny little Linux box and went away, so would the discussion. 

The unprecedented freedom of the content-free sandbox drove us to make our own fun. 

• Like 4