IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

10 minutes ago, dj_convoy said:

I was hoping to see a massive Ataribox coming in from the upper right hand corner shooting at, I dunno, a PS4 or something.

Maybe I can splice that in once the download is ready. The queue says it could take 100+ days. Last time I did one of these, I had forgotten about whatever it was I was mocking by the time it came out ... but it was still valid because the project is moving so slowly. 

• Like 5

In hardware related news, the Exa-Arcadia platform was originally announced in Feb. 2018(a couple of months after the initial Tacobox unveil), began shipping to Japanese buyers last month and the company is preparing pre-orders for US/EU. It uses PC-based hardware (not sure if it's Intel or AMD), proprietary game carts, have signed on over 20 game developers and has been tested in a variety of cabinet types (something important for an arcade conversion kit).

They didn't crowdfund $3 million to get their project off of the ground, technically started after the Tacobox was supposed to get going, and people are already enjoying the platform in Japan. 

Atari on the other hand had an emergency press release today, so that's something!  

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, 8Bitjunkie said:

Atari deleted this video

image.thumb.png.33b63aa9e147e93759a15e1bea1aa356.png

2 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

8. Is this board 100% complete and since it's most likely not, who is going to finish it now since everyone knows they're not paying?

9. Why didn't they show the underside of the PCB?

10. Where's the full video of the molds being released? Are they being paid or did they withdraw just before release due to lack of payment?

11. Are there any exclusive games for it yet? Apologies, we already know the answer to this one. Carry on...

Okay, Atari, I have a question or two: WHY THE FUCK DO YOU EVEN HAVE A BATTERY OPERATED "SHOWROOM/APPEARANCE MODEL" IN THE FIRST SODDING PLACE?! WHAT WAS IT EVEN USED/MEANT FOR IF IT WASN'T MEANT FOR THIS PARTICULAR UPDATE?!

Seriously, these are the questions that first came to mind when I saw that bullshit response. Consider those 11 and 12 on the increasing list to ask Fred and gang.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Does anyone here have a good understanding of the EU Market Abuse Regulation mentioned in Atari's hasty press release? I found this explainer but I still don't get it. Is a statement required when a stock drops below a certain threshold? Or is this because of some other internal behavior, like dumping or delisting? 

Their stock is at a 2-year low. I'd say it deserves to go even lower, but only because I think they've been pretending to be a real company for a long time and a comeuppance is overdue. 

Nice to see BoingBoing running a snarky summary of the story. I couldn't agree more with their characterization of "the brand."

"Atari" is the remains of Infogrames, a French software house that bought what was already a zombie brand in 2009 and at this point appears to comprise of three lawyers and a licensing agreement taped to a photocopier.

and this graphic.

orry-atari.thumb.jpg.69a3d6f71247cdcb1c756db30abbbe42.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Nothing much we don't already know, but it is interesting to see how quickly YouTube is picking up on it at this point.

And @Inky - yep, I think you're right.  This is about where the snowball is starting to roll downhill.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kieren's story on The Register has an addendum:

Updated to add

Atari's PR firm, ÜberStrategist Inc, sent us the following message.

"Atari wishes to inform you that some of your questions indicate that you possess information that is incorrect and/or outdated. In addition, some aspects of the Atari VCS project clearly have been leaked to you in violation of existing confidentiality agreements, and Atari therefore hereby reserves its rights in that respect."

Is that a threat?

beavis and butthead GIF

It wasn't a denial, in any case. 

• Haha 17

Imagine my shock! ??

Game over: Atari VCS architect quits project, claims he hasn’t been paid for six months

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/08/atari_architect_quits/

Doh, ok I see from the above video I am not the first to post about it, I just woke up and was eager to share ?

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
Fix
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, DurradonXylles said:

Okay, Atari, I have a question or two: WHY THE FUCK DO YOU EVEN HAVE A BATTERY OPERATED "SHOWROOM/APPEARANCE MODEL" IN THE FIRST SODDING PLACE?! WHAT WAS IT EVEN USED/MEANT FOR IF IT WASN'T MEANT FOR THIS PARTICULAR UPDATE?!

Seriously, these are the questions that first came to mind when I saw that bullshit response. Consider those 11 and 12 on the increasing list to ask Fred and gang.

It's designed specifically to create the appearance that they have a working prototype model, when all they really have is a shitty fleshlight, er flashlight.

Related image

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Is that a threat?

They may want to pursue whomever leaked the information (it is seemingly a small enough team that finding suspects should not be difficult), but I wonder if they have the resources to bring yet more legal actions.  Altogether, that is an odd comment to release to the media. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Is that a threat?

I really, Really, REALLY hope that's a threat.

It would be awesome to see legal action follow that results in Atari SA having to make details of their development progress, financial standings (and expenditures), as well as any other information refuting statements in the article public.

Atari SA, the British press is best not fucked with unless you're absolutely certain that you have a 100% iron-clad case.  Go see what they've done to governments in the past; you're one piddly little company that can't even get Linux running on a reference board.  Good luck.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Updated to add

Atari's PR firm, ÜberStrategist Inc, sent us the following message.

"Atari wishes to inform you that some of your questions indicate that you possess information that is incorrect and/or outdated. In addition, some aspects of the Atari VCS project clearly have been leaked to you in violation of existing confidentiality agreements, and Atari therefore hereby reserves its rights in that respect."

Kieren's story on The Register has an addendum:

Is that a threat?

beavis and butthead GIF

It wasn't a denial, in any case. 

So.... telling the press that Atari hasn't paid you for 6+ months and that you have quit the project are both violation of confidentiality terms? I mean... they certainly do like to remain confidential with all the details, as proven by the last 2+ years but when you fail to pay the other party as agreed upon, haven't you already broken that contract? Unless of course, I'm missing the details on what was actually leaked... because it sure as hell wasn't a video of the unit operating in current form, that's for sure.

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, jhd said:

They may want to pursue whomever leaked the information (it is seemingly a small enough team that finding suspects should not be difficult), but I wonder if they have the resources to bring yet more legal actions.  Altogether, that is an odd comment to release to the media. 

It comes across as a scare tactic to dissuade anyone else with inside information from coming forward.  Good luck with that one, folks.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

It comes across as a scare tactic to dissuade anyone else with inside information from coming forward.  Good luck with that one, folks.

Speaking of that, former Digital Eclipse guy putting a call out to devs with Atari SA horror stories. Curt is one, my friend that worked for Human Head is another, and there are many more. Very curious to see if anyone pipes up on this:

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

There have got to be some stories to tell.

I'm just concerned that this newfound NDA enforcement zeal on Atari SA's behalf may mean that we never learn why Rob's hands were always down the back of his pants.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1