IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

12 hours ago, JaqenHghar said:

Wow lots to read! Some thoughts...

As far as the UI being ready but needing to be converted to run on the VCS... I think this rings true. I checked and Photoshop doesn't run on Linux.

@Lodmot the real VCS is 42 years old. It's us 50+ who learned on 8-bit computers without a GUI. Mouse? We don't need no stinkin' mouse. ;) 

On whether Wyatt was freeloading or not... correct me if I'm wrong but don't contractors get to invoice only after they deliver things (even if they're just progress things) rather than just get paid a regular salary? When I got work done on my house I got invoices with actual expenses, receipts for materials, labor hours, etc. The guy didn't just come by and collect a check every two weeks. Wyatt was quoted as saying he had several unpaid invoices going back six months. Maybe @Curt Vendel could comment on how contractors bill Atari?

Plus if his invoices are six months old then they'd have to be for work done even earlier than that, wouldn't they? Who holds on to a contractor that supposedly hasn't been productive in over six months? And how would that change whether they would've paid him for work he had already delivered before that? Are they clairvoyant? Though I wouldn't be surprised if he did start dragging his feet more recently. I know I would if my client wasn't paying me for work already delivered but still expecting me to do more work.

For all we know, Wyatt could have been paid to have his name plastered on the workflow to give some semblence of validity to the project and someone else did the actual hardware and software design. I don't want to give Atari any ideas (not that they'd be able to properly follow through on them), but maybe Wyatt's payments were contingent on the motherboard working with the OS. Oh...the OS isn't finished? Well, we can't test the board then. So no money for you!

• Like 1

As for suing for payment. For many companies (and Wyatt almost did his work under a company name, probably Tin Giant), reputation and continued business with others is worth far more than money. Tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars may sound like a lot to most of us, but if it means no one will want to work with you because you've gained a reputation of suing for non-payment, it would be worth the loss. 

I've worked in accounting for a number of years for both small and large companies. I've had vendors refuse to offer goods and even threaten to sue for late payments, but as soon as partial payment was made, all was good again. It's just the nature or business. Better to work with a slow paying company, than not have any business at all. 

In Wyatt's case, especially after he teamed up with Atari and the truth of his contributions in the field were revealed, it's not like he people pounding on his door for his work.

And to everyone crying..."Oh poor Wyatt, he didn't get paid for half a year", remember we don't know how much he was paid for his work. Six months without getting paid will be a big hurt for someone earning a few thousand a month, far less so for someone earning 10x that, in terms of being to continue to live reasonably comfortably. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tickled_Pink said:

Screw that.

If it can't run Crysis ...

Oh, have no fear, it's a crisis and has been since the beginning. And you should run. Run as fast as you can in the other direction. 

Isn't it nice that Andy Blakely, the Overly Attached Girlfriend to the zombie corpse wearing the skin of Atari, thinks that we have the power to make or break this project? If that were true, this would have been sunk long ago. 

Criticism happens AFTER the event. If someone makes a bad movie and it bombs, it's not because critics were mean to it. It's because the word got out. Why else is any substantial information about "ATARI VCS" embargoed for release, hiding behind NDA, and always coming soon, stay tuned?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

The last few posts before Der Fuhrer locked the thread. 

39E8B06A-0864-4A49-991E-BD41199B94C8.png

05CA6224-DDA6-4947-B8FC-06826E4A316E.png

75043A90-796C-4202-B4CD-0FABE9F0078B.jpeg

Holy fuck dude... o__o

This makes me appreciate the fact the I just took a break from the VCS frenzy and "stopped caring about it".... 

It's weird how deranged and immature people can actually get. That's why I always tell my parents, "dude, introversion is the way to go." LOL

Just lock me up in my mancave with all my video games and with my girlfriend and nobody else, and I'll be just fine. Nobody will harm us, and we won't harm them. :)

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Where did Kieren get that "Atari" only has 3 employees? Everything I've seen says they have 20. Is he confused by the names of the board members?

I wondered that too.  I think he's since edited that out; at least I can't find it anymore:  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/08/atari_architect_quits/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Not to defend Atari or anything (and hopefully I don't get lambasted for this, lol), but I find it a little interesting that Rob Wyatt approached The Register (of all the different tech sites he had the choice to approach). 

It's just funny to me because the source of bad press (at least lately) is all coming from The Register, and other sources and YouTubers seem to be picking up what they're saying. 

My point is, do we know for a fact that they're a reliable source of factual information, and they're not just trying to stir up the drama?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Not to defend Atari or anything (and hopefully I don't get lambasted for this, lol), but I find it a little interesting that Rob Wyatt approached The Register (of all the different tech sites he had the choice to approach). 

It's just funny to me because the source of bad press (at least lately) is all coming from The Register, and other sources and YouTubers seem to be picking up what they're saying. 

My point is, do we know for a fact that they're a reliable source of factual information, and they're not just trying to stir up the drama?

Seems irrelevant either way, since Atari has no one else to blame other than themselves at this point. Although after reading his interview, it’s clear he has a IDGAF kind of attitude so it may be more than just Atari to blame even if all roads lead to them in the end regardless. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

Seems irrelevant either way, since Atari has no one else to blame other than themselves at this point. Although after reading his interview, it’s clear he has a IDGAF kind of attitude so it may be more than just Atari to blame even if all roads lead to them in the end regardless. 

Yeah, true. By not listening to us early on, Atari dug themselves into the hole that they're in. xD

I was just curious if The Register has any credibility as a source or not. 

I know I was screwed over as a developer, so I have my own personal experiences that make me feel negative towards the Atari VCS. Then we have Curt Vendel, who is connected with the project.

I remember back when I made Game Catcher for the Ouya, and believe it or not, developing a game for it was a very positive experience. It was an excellent first platform for me to develop my first game release for. Sucks that Atari couldn't give me that same experience. o u o

Edited by Lodmot

Yeah, I think he removed that and possibly more about the financials.  Someone on Twitter asked him specifically about profits and number of employees, then later put up a screenshot from the financial report showing twenty employees, profit, etc.

24 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

So far they are a better source of information than the "reliable" places you like.  So much so, some of those have been quoting ElReg lately!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I was just curious if The Register has any credibility as a source or not. 

Yes, and their credibility is typically held in fairly high regard.  They've had a couple of gaffes over the years, but as a source for tech news (and investigative journalism into tech), they're one of the longest-running and are generally considered to be a reliable source.

One thing about The Register: it's usually very even-handed in how it approaches subject matter.  However, in the best traditions of the UK press, if they smell a rat they have absolutely no problems with bringing every unpleasant detail of the story out from under the rocks.  That's not to say that they would go so far as to throw objectivity out of the window, but rather that they have no compunctions about pissing off the subject of the story by reporting less-than-favourable information when it comes to light.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Yeah, I think he removed that and possibly more about the financials.  Someone on Twitter asked him specifically about profits and number of employees, then later put up a screenshot from the financial report showing twenty employees, profit, etc.

So far they are a better source of information than the "reliable" places you like.  So much so, some of those have been quoting ElReg lately!

I don't really recall when I mentioned reliable sources just now, lol. I mentioned having personal experience with the Atari VCS (which was negative). If you want to know who I use as reliable sources, usually it's SpawnWave and RGT85 and ReviewTechUSA-- all really good guys. o u o 

1 minute ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Yes, and their credibility is typically held in fairly high regard.  They've had a couple of gaffes over the years, but as a source for tech news (and investigative journalism into tech), they're one of the longest-running and are generally considered to be a reliable source.

One thing about The Register: it's usually very even-handed in how it approaches subject matter.  However, in the best traditions of the UK press, if they smell a rat they have absolutely no problems with bringing every unpleasant detail of the story out from under the rocks.  That's not to say that they would go so far as to throw objectivity out of the window, but rather that they have no compunctions about pissing off the subject of the story by reporting less-than-favourable information when it comes to light.

Cool, that's what I was wondering. Thanks :3

As long as they're a reputable source, then I'm happy to go along with it. When I search for gaming news I usually will either watch Spawn Wave and RGT85, or I'll just Google search what I'm looking for in the "News" section, and I'll end up with websites like GameSpot, or PCWorld or IGN, etc. 

• Like 4

We know for a fact that they are asking questions and reporting facts as best they can be discovered in the midst of deliberate deception. Just because some idiots don't like the facts being reported or those facts contradict somebody's fantasies or agendas doesn't make them a unreliable source. You really have to question the reliability of outlets that just copy paste crap to fill web page inches and sell ads. 

The Register is as least as legit and credible as any other established and well funded tech news site published online these days. There's always gonna be some clueless knob making a Fox News or CNN blanket statement to try and sight bias and appear knowledgeable, but the reality is they have been around since 98, broke a number of tech stories before anybody else, and they actually practice investigative reporting. They have actual influence in the professional tech industry. They're also not operating out of a basement, so their credibility surpasses that of any youtuber, amateur armchair journalistic commentators talking our their ass, or the festival of clueless cranks on the interwebs.

I'd put them in the top 10% of tech news outfits. Probably higher when you figure they actually engage in investigative reporting from time to time rather than just regurgitating canned press releases like most of the other so called tech news outlets. The problem is, every dork with an opinion, a keyboard or webcam these days considers themselves a journalist. There's more to it than that, but try convincing any of them.  Actually asking questions and reporting facts will always put you at odds with the uneducated sheep who simply want confirmation of their group think. They've been nothing but fair with this clusterf#@k from their first write ups, and they've been able to back up everything in proper journalistic fashion. The only people you'll find questioning that are hacks with an agenda. Just because both have an outlet, doesn't make them equal. As a legitimate commercial news outlet, they also have genuine liability if they go around spewing whatever bullshit they like, unlike all the dweebs posting on social media and youtube. 

• Like 6

Just now, Lodmot said:

Cool, that's what I was wondering. Thanks :3

As long as they're a reputable source, then I'm happy to go along with it. When I search for gaming news I usually will either watch Spawn Wave and RGT85, or I'll just Google search what I'm looking for in the "News" section, and I'll end up with websites like GameSpot, or PCWorld or IGN, etc. 

No worries.  Just remember that The Register is a tech site, not a gaming site.  They do cover gaming-related stories, but their focus is mainly on IT-related news.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ColecoJoe said:

Oh oh. I think the Historian is going to jail boys!!!!

It was a generic email most likely sent to anyone that has worked with Atari. I thought it was odd when I received it, but when the Register article was released it all made sense. I've worked on NDAs for most of my career, so I've got a firm grasp of what can and cannot be said.

As for my avatar, it's not like I'm impossible to find online and when I was in there group they could see a personal photo. I've used "The Historian" and "Historian" since '98 and always associated it with my "True Name" (Any Vinge fans out there?).

• Like 6