IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

26 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

It's funny you ask this actually, because this was one of the things I thought of when I was supporting the VCS. I figured back then that "whoever owns the brand already knows the brand is dead, so logically speaking they're likely going to do everything in their power to make it a relevant brand again, right?"

Logic doesn't work with every company though, that's something I've grown to learn. :P

A wise man once said, "They really want this to happen." 

In an unrelated time and place, a wannabe-titan of industry said, "Simple as that."

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Check it out, Star Citizen is 7 years old today, and they've taken 200 million dollars. I don't like them either. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

A wise man once said, "They really want this to happen." 

In an unrelated time and place, a wannabe-titan of industry said, "Simple as that."

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Check it out, Star Citizen is 7 years old today, and they've taken 200 million dollars. I don't like them either. 

LOL!!!!!!! Your avatar xDDD

I’m only estimating roughly around 10,000 units based on the numbers from the IG page but how does everyone feel this would compare to one of the mini consoles like the Genesis Mini or maybe a better comparison would be Analogue’s far more expensive offerings in terms of total number of units to be produced/sold?

No doubt the Flashback itself was a hit but even in its best form can’t see this hitting even a fraction of that unless it hits the $99 discount bin territory. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

I’m only estimating roughly around 10,000 units based on the numbers from the IG page but how does everyone feel this would compare to one of the mini consoles like the Genesis Mini or maybe a better comparison would be Analogue’s far more expensive offerings in terms of total number of units to be produced/sold?

No doubt the Flashback itself was a hit but even in its best form can’t see this hitting even a fraction of that unless it hits the $99 discount bin territory. 

Oh, the mini consoles will outsell this by far. I bet the Genesis Mini will sell at least 2 million units. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OverMuch said:

Me if this thing moves even 5k units. 

01DF9E8C-34C3-49B6-A3DA-993F341C3AB1.gif

Kinda sad that Sega puts out the Genesis Mini (their first actual piece of hardware in 20 years, and it's a mini console), and it's going to easily outsell the VCS by a huge margin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Clint Thompson said:

Remember that not all of the Indiegogo sales are consoles. Plenty of people just ordered the retro-style joystick for $50. Also recall that for some reason, consoles and controllers were counted and billed as separate orders, either through greed (keep the extra shipping $), to make the order numbers look bigger, or simple incompetence (hey, it's "Atari).

Most of the sales were in the first week of the crowdfunding campaign. If you look back in this bloated thread to around the time of the campaign start, @PlaysWithWolves and I took some guesstimates until they changed the way sales were counted and displayed. Maybe he'll dig some of that up if he has the time. 

I would eat a SpeakerHatTM if this thing makes it to retail shelves, let alone a bargain bin. "Atari" has stated many times that one of the reasons they used crowdfunding was to know how many they should make. They told their shareholders that crowdfunding would be used to reduce risk. That means not only using OPM, but also making no more than they are guaranteed to sell. I would not expect the existence of Gamestop or Walmart online orders to mean these will actually be in stores. 

Speaking of SpeakerHatTM, I loved how they touted compatibility with that dumb thing in that post that PWW quoted so long ago. They're missing out on all the other unsung features of the ATARI VCS. 

542287801_glutenfree.thumb.jpg.123c83f18474c04f213e90ed6c0cf05c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Remember that not all of the Indiegogo sales are consoles. Plenty of people just ordered the retro-style joystick for $50. Also recall that for some reason, consoles and controllers were counted and billed as separate orders, either through greed (keep the extra shipping $), to make the order numbers look bigger, or simple incompetence (hey, it's "Atari).

Most of the sales were in the first week of the crowdfunding campaign. If you look back in this bloated thread to around the time of the campaign start, @PlaysWithWolves and I took some guesstimates until they changed the way sales were counted and displayed. Maybe he'll dig some of that up if he has the time. 

I would eat a SpeakerHatTM if this thing makes it to retail shelves, let alone a bargain bin. "Atari" has stated many times that one of the reasons they used crowdfunding was to know how many they should make. They told their shareholders that crowdfunding would be used to reduce risk. That means not only using OPM, but also making no more than they are guaranteed to sell. I would not expect the existence of Gamestop or Walmart online orders to mean these will actually be in stores. 

Speaking of SpeakerHatTM, I loved how they touted compatibility with that dumb thing in that post that PWW quoted so long ago. They're missing out on all the other unsung features of the ATARI VCS. 

542287801_glutenfree.thumb.jpg.123c83f18474c04f213e90ed6c0cf05c.jpg

That is where I have to give the Ouya a lot of credit-- for making just shy of $10 million, they actually managed to get the system in stores for $99. I actually remember actually walking into my local GameStop, and they had advertisements for the Ouya right at the entrance. 

• Like 6

This is still one of my favorite posts and still more real than AtariVCS.  If I created the new AtariAge magazine, it would've been my first-issue centerfold:

On 5/26/2018 at 12:05 PM, Nathan Strum said:

I have it on good authority that Atari has this whole thing figured out.

They're going to take a cue from the most successful merchandising franchise of all time, and start out the exact same way Star Wars did!

Here's your first look at The AtariVCS Pre-Order Early Bird Certificate Package! Just like Star Wars did when they had no action figures to sell, Atari's going to sell empty boxes instead! Go with your strengths!

The package features a fold-out cardboard rendering of the AtariVCS, and includes a display area where you can put your controllers as you collect them!

But hurry - when these are announced next week, they're going to go fast! These are sure to become collector's items!

post-2641-0-39011600-1527350663_thumb.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1