IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

7 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Here's just another response from delusional Werner:

1044720631_delusionalwerner.thumb.jpg.c88242fdeb0a85908deae6d736336129.jpg

This guy is a hoot. He pathologically stomps on anyone with valid information, declaring it bullshit, then spews his own bullshit fantasy. Did everyone notice he adds an additional layer of bullshit every time he tells his fantasy?

First it was that Rob wasn't working for over 6 months.

Then Rob had a hissy fit over not getting paid.

Now, Atari has two entire factory floors tooled to production.

Next, Atari will develop a quantum tunnel to go back in time and fix all this mess to show you meanies.

So stop posting fake stories about stuff you know nothing about. ? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 10/11/2019 at 1:19 PM, Lodmot said:

Yet another reason why I used to be so adamant that the VCS would be a good product. The people that have their names associated with the VCS project now have to live with that reputation in other projects they take on. Back then I was like, "why would anyone want to put their careers in jeopardy like that?" Lol...

I guess some people don't give a fuck about their careers (or screwing up other peoples' careers). o u o  

Just shift the blame to someone else; it was never my fault. I did my part correctly. There are still folks listing Pac-Man Ghost Zone & Black Ice White Noise on their resume.

http://www.drawrick.com/pmgzhome.html

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

So wonder if they are going to start showing traditional desktop apps here soon? Since their OS doesn't fully function, maybe we will see desktop applications for achievements, maybe some new Atari themed screen savers and random retro highlights when the desktop boots up?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

So wonder if they are going to start showing traditional desktop apps here soon? Since their OS doesn't fully function, maybe we will see desktop applications for achievements, maybe some new Atari themed screen savers and random retro highlights when the desktop boots up?

I know that if I had backed the Ataribollocks(tm) from day one, I'd certainly be anxious to get my hands on Lunar Lander-themed LibreOffice, Konqueror with a Kangaroo skin, and Video Pinball: the VLC Experience.

THAT'S SOME DAMN FINE RETRO RIGHT THERE, FRED.  DAMN FINE.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

57 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I know that if I had backed the Ataribollocks(tm) from day one, I'd certainly be anxious to get my hands on Lunar Lander-themed LibreOffice, Konqueror with a Kangaroo skin, and Video Pinball: the VLC Experience.

THAT'S SOME DAMN FINE RETRO RIGHT THERE, FRED.  DAMN FINE.

Funny thing: a couple years ago I picked up this weird little PC collection of 80 classic Atari games, developed by Digital Eclipse and originally released around 2003, for sale on the Humble Bundle Store (I guess this would be the Atari Vault progenitor). I always found it strange that the only place Atari offers the digital release of this collection is on Humble Bundle, when it's DRM-free and they have released games on GOG. Anyways, the collection offers you custom Windows themes, along with all of the cursors, fonts and sounds to make your own, and even an Atari 2600 themed screensaver (which I cannot seem to get working). This "custom Windows theme(s) attached to a game" type of bonus has always seemed a bit strangely novel to me despite the kitsch appeal, but I guess if you want the TRUE® ATARI© VCS™ EXPERIENCE, this might be the closest thing to that for a while; besides, you get a bunch of old Atari games to boot and it's as cheap as the Vault.

While I'm on the subject, it makes me think about Pitfall and Frogger on the 2600, since they had "screensavers" of sorts in the form of color cycling attract modes to prevent CRT burn-in, something not too many Atari games had up to that point. (EDIT: I was trying to find video footage of the screensaver from the Atari 80 Games Collection, and came across these two videos. I will freely admit I haven't played many of these games for a while and made a stupid assumption which was pretty idiotic in hindsight.) If I had to guess, since I cannot find videos of the screensaver from the Atari 80 Games Collection on YouTube, that it would resemble something like these but with the updated graphics from the games in the collection and no color cycling. While I would love to see the new hardware touting the VCS name have anything like this for "away" or "standby" screens akin to the NES/SNES Classic or Genesis Mini, that would require the hardware to actually be coming out AND the software being thoroughly tested with the same level of spit and polish.

Edited by DurradonXylles
I made a factual error with Atari 2600 games. I'll be handing over my AtariAge badge now.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DurradonXylles said:

...since they had "screensavers" of sorts in the form of color cycling attract modes to prevent CRT burn-in, something not too many Atari games had up to that point.

That's not correct. Screensaver modes existed from the very beginning. And most if not all of them did color cycling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DurradonXylles said:

Funny thing: a couple years ago I picked up this weird little PC collection of 80 classic Atari games, developed by Digital Eclipse and originally released around 2003, for sale on the Humble Bundle Store (I guess this would be the Atari Vault progenitor). I always found it strange that the only place Atari offers the digital release of this collection is on Humble Bundle, when it's DRM-free and they have released games on GOG. 

You're describing the Atari Anthology, which was also released for PS2 and Xbox consoles. It was OK. 

The stinking zombie using the name "Atari" can't distribute that themselves anymore, because it contains Battlezone. That game was sold off in the 2013 bankruptcy deal. "Atari" lacks the resources to modify or support the old software. They have Atari Vault and Atari Flashback Classics in its place on modern platforms. That collection is better that Anthology in most respects. Its main competition is people freely downloading ROMs and running free emulators themselves. 

Antstream has stated that they will provide retro collections like this. Assuming "Atari" is getting a cut, their lawyers will likely look the other way. Rebellion (holders of the Battlezone brand) might feel differently. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I bought the Atari 80-in-1 on Steam like 9 years ago- I only launched it for like five minutes total because it kept crashing on my system.  that was a quick uninstall.  ;)  I also have the Atari Vault on Steam.

I don't have much issues in terms of perusing the menus or running the games, but getting back to menus is another story (the software hangs and I am forced to close it with task manager). I can't say with certainty toward the cause, but in my experience with Windows dependencies on 9x, XP, Vista, 7 and beyond, it seems like there's a specific DLL that is supposed to handle the transfer from the menu executable to the game and back again which no longer exists past XP or Vista. I could probably rip the ROMs from the collection anyhow and use Stella or MAME to run the games. I also finally got the screensaver to work, and it's just the attract modes for the games in the collection. It needed to find, among other things, "2600.exe" to run, which meant it's just running the emulation direct as a screensaver. Again, kitsch but neat, and I may rip that idea off using Stella as a base.

24 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

You're describing the Atari Anthology, which was also released for PS2 and Xbox consoles. It was OK. 

The stinking zombie using the name "Atari" can't distribute that themselves anymore, because it contains Battlezone. That game was sold off in the 2013 bankruptcy deal. "Atari" lacks the resources to modify or support the old software. They have Atari Vault and Atari Flashback Classics in its place on modern platforms. That collection is better that Anthology in most respects. Its main competition is people freely downloading ROMs and running free emulators themselves. 

Antstream has stated that they will provide retro collections like this. Assuming "Atari" is getting a cut, their lawyers will likely look the other way. Rebellion (holders of the Battlezone brand) might feel differently. 

Well it's on Humble Bundle, DRM-free, so I imagine that either this is remnants of pre-2013 Atari's agreements with Humble Store (the site has been around since 2010 and the site does have different contractual agreements than Steam), or Atari SA somehow getting license to continuing distribution of the collection as is, on that site alone, from Rebellion. Considering we all presumably doubt the latter, chances are it's the former. Whether or not it's legally allowed to still be sold there is anyone's guess. I do heavily agree that Atari Vault and Flashback Classics are the superior collections, especially Vault, both in number of games available and in presentation/emulation.

Edited by DurradonXylles

On 10/10/2019 at 4:38 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Tommy...  Taco.

Tommy...  Taco.

The 'T' is the key.

Tommy...  Taco.

Y'know... if you say my name 3 times... I appear.

Especially if there are tacos on the menu.  Got any vegan ones?

:D

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

On 10/10/2019 at 4:41 PM, ColecoJoe said:

Tommys better get in here quick and defend themselves!

DA5D75B9-407E-487E-BB61-BFEAD713A8C9.jpeg

This is pretty amazing actually!  Literally almost every sentence is completely wrong (except that we make nice trailers and our system is not open to garbage).  It takes a certain amount of skill to pull off that much ignorance.  Kudos!

:)

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

In today's edition of Wide World of Ataribollocks(tm), Jessie Scroggins finds himself with an operating system selection quandary:

V4zKcQZ.png

Well, Jessie, help is at hand!

y6fGyKA.jpg

Note: Ataribawx(tm) Lunix may not actually boot to Lunix.  Or Linux.  Or you may just get a red screen of death, but given that Ataribawx(tm) Lunix is based on Cybermorph technology, that might actually be for the best.  Must use Jaguar controllers for keyboard input.  Estimated delivery date: whenever the judge says we have to.  Ataribawx(tm) Lunix is Netflix-Mom approved.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Wow, so the childish Amico doesn't "have" 3D graphics but the VCS will?  Sounds like there's still butthurt over the George Pimpton ads from 40 years ago...yeah I was too back when I was like five years old.

Anyway, like the man himself said...

Intellivision Ad 2.jpg

Hahaha!  That's a good one.

Although 40 years later... this one may be relevant again.  :)

pubmattel1.thumb.jpg.459a51782a24b9325e1f1312cfd0d5f3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

You know what Atari needs to make? The Atari VCS CD module. It would use a proprietary CD format that doesn't play on regular DVD/BlueRay/CD-ROM drives and you can only use CD's pressed specifically for it. Rather than the laser reading data from the center of the CD and going outward, it should read from the edge of the CD, going inward towards the center. Then only have 1st party Atari titles on it, and only release 4 games for it in total. ;D

That...…. would be...……. amazing. xD

……. oh, and Atari needs to make their own foreign CPU architecture for it (dual physical CPU's linked together-- one called "Sylvester" and the other called "Tweety"), so emulation for this CD add-on can never be achieved for another 60 years. 

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

You know what Atari needs to make? The Atari VCS CD module. It would use a proprietary CD format that doesn't play on regular DVD/BlueRay/CD-ROM drives and you can only use CD's pressed specifically for it. Rather than the laser reading data from the center of the CD and going outward, it should read from the edge of the CD, going inward towards the center. Then only have 1st party Atari titles on it, and only release 4 games for it in total. ;D

……. oh, and Atari needs to make their own foreign CPU architecture for it (dual physical CPU's linked together-- one called "Sylvester" and the other called "Tweety"), so emulation for this CD add-on can never be achieved for another 60 years. 

Or maybe the CPU's could be named Fred and Barney!

• Haha 3

On 10/12/2019 at 12:01 PM, Lodmot said:

For that they'd need engineers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Man we have another Tommy participating!

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

This is pretty amazing actually!  Literally almost every sentence is completely wrong (except that we make nice trailers and our system is not open to garbage).  It takes a certain amount of skill to pull off that much ignorance.  Kudos!

:)

This is what us in Atari land deal with. Can't wait for Amico to come out so I have something to play and laugh about/forget that the VCS even exists.

Well assuming it even makes release before Amico that is. 

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Man we have another Tommy participating!

This is what us in Atari land deal with. Can't wait for Amico to come out so I have something to play and laugh about/forget that the VCS even exists.

Well assuming it even makes release before Amico that is. 

Well, I was telling my friend about the whole VCS debacle just now, and he brought up one very interesting point: 

This will be Atari's most successful console in the last 15 years........

......... Technically he isn't wrong. Lol 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lodmot said:

This will be Atari's most successful console in the last 15 years........

......... Technically he isn't wrong. Lol 

More like 25. The Atari Jaguar's company went under in 1996. 

Meanwhile, Chromebooks are getting Linux GPU support, and will do everything "Ataribox" can do, only better. 

https://chromeunboxed.com/crostini-linux-chromebook-chrome-os-gaming-update-pointer-lock/

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

More like 25. The Atari Jaguar's company when under in 1996. 

Meanwhile, Chromebooks are getting Linux GPU support, and will do everything "Ataribox" can do, only better. 

https://chromeunboxed.com/crostini-linux-chromebook-chrome-os-gaming-update-pointer-lock/

True, but he meant in the last 15 years. And since Atari didnt put out a console in the last 15 years, that makes his statement technically true. ;D

(Its a bad joke. LOL)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

The compilation on PC was called Atari: 80 Classic Games in One.  The compatibility issue crept in with Windows XP, I think.  (The issue was a black screen transitioning between menu and game.)  There is a patch available on my website that should address it, though I don't know if new issues have crept in since.  The patch addresses some other stuff too.  See the patch notes.

80-in-1 wasn't discontinued because of Battlezone.  Battlezone remained in Atari's Greatest Hits on iOS and Android after the property was sold off.  There was a grandfathering clause you can find in the publicly-filed bankruptcy documents when the property was transferred to Rebellion. Atari was permitted to continue to sell all pre-existing products that contained Battlezone; they just weren't allowed to create anything new with it.

It's funny that you mention Rebellion feeling differently, because it was basically the opposite: the sales of Battlezone were allowed to continue, but Math Gran Prix (also sold in the bankruptcy) had no grandfathering provision, and so was pulled from AGH immediately (and replaced with Stunt Cycle).

Oh, edit to add: regarding the desktop theme, the screensaver in 80-in-1 just cycled through the attract modes of the arcade games.  There were custom wallpapers, custom cursors, custom icons, and custom fonts though.  One of my favourite features of 80-in-1 was support for the 2600 driving controller via Stelladapter, which you could use to play Tempest with a genuine spinner.

Edited by JeffVav
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4