IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 hours ago, Spriggy said:

Mmmmmmm, I don't know Tommy Beefy.  This bag fan looks pretty sweet!

lab1.thumb.jpg.a8aa7c6e346c844d14b740f162967564.jpg

Hold on!  A shot from the other side of the room reveals another one.  TWO big fans?  I'm impressed.

lab2.thumb.jpg.f06d664699fbce456110f4b9c7559df2.jpg

Lastly, I know it's a little digression ... but here is what proper news looks like.    CLICKTY-CLICK

Reveal hidden contents

one might say that those are their.... biggest fans.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, Spriggy said:

Mmmmmmm, I don't know Tommy Beefy.  This bag fan looks pretty sweet!

lab1.thumb.jpg.a8aa7c6e346c844d14b740f162967564.jpg

Hold on!  A shot from the other side of the room reveals another one.  TWO big fans?  I'm impressed.

lab2.thumb.jpg.f06d664699fbce456110f4b9c7559df2.jpg

The Atari ACS-  Air Circulating System

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

one might say that those are their.... biggest fans.

Just sayin'.

E73C47D8-E442-443C-8FF8-8F8CA384EABB.jpeg.fb72001dd28d7b186c9857fd26a727a5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Phantom_of_Krankor said:

I'm sorry, what are you trying to say? That a less powerful system that can't handle modern games and won't be focused on entertainment isn't going to be for more than retro games but will be about so much more? Did you grow up under power lines?

What..thumb.JPG.90a9ec5f561bfffea1199d3b692d7232.JPG

Isn't it weird how some people feel the need to make everything into tribal warfare? As if one unreleased retro thing MUST "compete" against another unreleased retro thing, because people can't have more than one, or neither?

Rivals for the "ATARI VCS" include, but are not limited to:

• Cheap Windows PC
  • AppleTV
  • Hoop and stick
  • Wooden paddle with elastic string and ball
  • Fond memories of middle school in the 1980s 
  • Nintendo SIXTY-FOOOOOOUUUUURRRRR
  • Cheap Chinese clone consoles
  • Xbox one
  • Playstation 4 (or maybe the 5 will be out by then)
  • Demolition crew for GameStop retail stores
  • Animal husbandry
  • Baking a cake
  • Learning a language
  • Piano lessons
  • Playing outside
  • Smoking in the sun to accelerate cancer growth
  • Sitting quietly and awaiting death
  • Like 4
  • Haha 15

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

Completely Ass Systems

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

Isn't it weird how some people feel the need to make everything into tribal warfare?

I survived the Great Console Wars of the early 80's. (circus) Charlie had me pinned down...

We all had our system biases back then, but as we got older, we all got curious about those other systems we never had, and we enjoy them all now.They're all our children now.

CqRj-RcXgAEnU5h.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, Spriggy said:

Look carefully at the photos.  Both fans are never seen in the same shot at the same time.  There's only one fan; they just keep moving it around to give the illusion that they're a real company that can afford more than one.

This could very well be the Zapruder film of the entire Ataribollocks(tm) saga.  We may just be on to something here.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

A modern take on the joystick was interesting.  My opinion is they should've only stuck with getting that right, then down the road offer a console.

Yea I had been saying from very early on, forget the stupid console, I have a billion ways to play netflix and pac-man I want the controller. But of course recent event's show us its just a thumbstick in a box so now I don't, but they had an idea and entered a quagmire 

• Like 10

WNfW8Fp.png

If Atari SA did that, they'd be setting an industry record: first console release in history with zero titles available at launch.

You probably could gamify getting the LED to go on and off depending on what you did with the power cable, though, so it might not count.

oRZlBZ3.png

I'm trying to figure out whether completion of the VCS is dependent on John Phelan's faith in the project, or if it's the other way round.  Perhaps it's a codependent relationship.

lTR6gNc.png

Andy's right; the PR has been woeful.  Along with the faked screenshots and gameplay, repeatedly-missed deadlines, inability to deal with the press effectively, Stalinesque removal of reddit content deemed uncomplimentary, and about 17,362 other things I'm forgetting that Atari SA did which led to one insider describing the whole thing as a "shitshow".

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

I hear what El Reg is reporting about loud and clear, and I believe the comments they have received off the record. They tell an all too familiar story on shit projects. No direction, no commitment of funds as planned, shit communications, embellishing facts to suit a fictional narrative. Sadly, I've been involved in many similarly poorly managed projects. One thing I can guarantee you, whatever they are suggesting for timelines and features, not even close.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Osgeld said:

Yea I had been saying from very early on, forget the stupid console, I have a billion ways to play netflix and pac-man I want the controller. But of course recent event's show us its just a thumbstick in a box so now I don't, but they had an idea and entered a quagmire 

The people behind the Amiga computer started by making Joysticks and games for the Atari 2600.  It worked for them.

• Like 6

As the Mashable summary points out, 

Atari didn't refute anything specific in this statement, which calls into question the suggestion that The Register actually misrepresented anything in its reporting.

The person calling it a "shitshow" might have been under a non disclosure agreement, but leaked facts are still facts. Maybe "Atari" should send out some more $30 T-shirts to earn some trust back. They could steal Amico's idea and charge $50 after shipping, with more mysterious promises of good things to come!

Engadget has a link in its news roundup, and says

So, about that Atari VCS retro gaming console you preordered. You might want to read through the terms and conditions again, see what the refund policy is because hoooo boy it's not looking good.

Seems like a missed opportunity to talk about how nasty the IGG policy is. Refunds are going to be hard to get. The backers have pixel mushrooms in their heads and seem unlikely to be able to get enough together to bring a lawsuit. 

• Like 4

Since the topic has become wildfire, it could just as easily be that someone not under NDA and not knowing the real 'facts' somehow spread speculations that are indeed factual tidbits and the reaction from Atari only seems to confirm it as such, though no specifics were given. That could mean literally anything.

It's none other than Atari's fault in the end for giving the bare minimum in regards to updates and leaving everyone else to guess wtaf is going on. How is it not their duty to communicate any major setbacks? I would think something like that would be covered in the IG terms and bind them into a mandated statement or update regarding the fact of such a thing. Everything else seems to quickly point to "we can't be held liable, etc. etc. etc." instead.

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

Since the topic has become wildfire, it could just as easily be that someone not under NDA and not knowing the real 'facts' somehow spread speculations that are indeed factual tidbits and the reaction from Atari only seems to confirm it as such, though no specifics were given. That could mean literally anything.

It's none other than Atari's fault in the end for giving the bare minimum in regards to updates and leaving everyone else to guess wtaf is going on. How is it not their duty to communicate any major setbacks? I would think something like that would be covered in the IG terms and bind them into a mandated statement or update regarding the fact of such a thing. Everything else seems to quickly point to "we can't be held liable, etc. etc. etc." instead.

I think Indiegogo should just delete the TOS page. It's wasting server space, and it's not like they enforce it anyway. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Hey retro technology fans! It's a screen less smart watch that communicates via Morse code! On Indiegogo, of course. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/xtactor-smart-wristband-screenless-smartwatch#/

found via the r/shittykickstarters group, which has some Ataribox chatter from time to time. 

How did you know that?

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Just sayin'.

E73C47D8-E442-443C-8FF8-8F8CA384EABB.jpeg.fb72001dd28d7b186c9857fd26a727a5.jpeg

Isn't it weird how some people feel the need to make everything into tribal warfare? As if one unreleased retro thing MUST "compete" against another unreleased retro thing, because people can't have more than one, or neither?

• Cheap Windows PC
  • AppleTV
  • Hoop and stick
  • Xbox one
  • Animal husbandry
  • Baking a cake
  • Learning a language
  • Piano lessons
  • Playing outside

Post of the day here. Hoop and stick literally made me laugh out loud.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Just sayin'.

• Cheap Windows PC
  • AppleTV
  • Hoop and stick
  • Xbox one
  • Animal husbandry
  • Baking a cake
  • Learning a language
  • Piano lessons
  • Playing outside

• Haha 8