IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

14 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Chesnais:  Yep, the original founders of Apple.  So we see, by the way, on the iPhone at the very beginning you had the [Cheddar overtalk].  We kind of felt they had the special connection with that game; which is true.  So I'm going there because Steven Wozniak is hosting the big tech conference and I will be showing him the new VCS; the new console. We'll be talking to him about the next step for the console. So, this is why we're flying down there. And it's in Scottsdale, Arizona.  So you can expect more from us in the next two days.  But it's very funny, you know, how these guys like 45 years ago created basically the industry, and now they're still relevant in their own field.  But, yeah, we have more games created by these guys in the catalog and it's pretty pretty cool [?]. 

When he says, "these guys" I assume he means Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Fred knows that Steve Jobs has been dead for 8 years, right? And that this image was satirical?

On 9/8/2017 at 9:10 AM, Flojomojo said:

The current Atari team is so young and so fresh, so they don't know the name of Original Atari Employee #40, but some say, he's really good with the cyber. He's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more!

post-2410-0-92946600-1504875309_thumb.jpg

These groovy cats were the 1978 Prom King and Queen at Sunnyvale High School! What do they wear when they're at home? That's right, Atari SpeakerHats®!

Cheddar: Exciting to say the least!  It's so interesting to see how things come full circle, especially when it comes to Steve Jobs and also with Steve Wozniak. And with him, you'll be presenting alongside with him.  So, what does this experience mean to you?  Especially when they were the developers behind Breakout, and now it's like oh, it's all coming back around again? 

Chesnais:  Yeah, I think--to your point-- it's come around full circle. We have the Atari 2600.  We're going to show the VCS. We created these games which are still played today.  I think it's part of a big move at the industry.  This is just, you know, Fortnite today--back to Fortnite--this is just one, you know, milestone because the industry's growing.

Cheddar: Right

Chesnais: Sports.  I think you'll see games that are, you know--records are made to be broken, right?

Cheddar: Right.

Chesnais: so, you'll see--you'll see. There's going to be a game.  It's gonna be bigger than any other game and this is why we love the industry. Because you can create and you can do stuff. 

There he goes again, tagging onto Fortnite, as if he has anything to do with their success, or has anything remotely interesting or profitable to show. I fscking hate it when he does that. Nobody should allow him to get away with that, but these softball puff pieces keep on doing it. Why don't the YouTubers make a video about that? It's visual, it's super hypocritical, and that way THEY TOO can tag on to the success of Fortnite by association. Everyone "wins." 

giphy.gif

• Like 5

This clown will probably have a restraining order out against him if he tries to get in front of Woz. Even with his thick line of bullshit, Fredo still can't even infer there is a working prototype. He's just walkin around with a lump of plastic and talkin about it to anyone who will listen. 

5 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

When he says, "these guys" I assume he means Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Fred knows that Steve Jobs has been dead for 8 years, right? And that this image was satirical?

There he goes again, tagging onto Fortnite, as if he has anything to do with their success, or has anything remotely interesting or profitable to show. I fscking hate it when he does that. Nobody should allow him to get away with that, but these softball puff pieces keep on doing it. Why don't the YouTubers make a video about that? It's visual, it's super hypocritical, and that way THEY TOO can tag on to the success of Fortnite by association. Everyone "wins." 

giphy.gif

That's the sad state of cable news these days. On one side of the split screen, you can have a Nobel Laureate discussing geothermal dynamics, and on the other side of the split screen, you can have a flat Earther with a tinfoil hat. By virtue of the "all opinions being equal premise" of cable news, obviously both of their comments carry equal weight and one's comments are just a valid as the other. They said it on TV, so it has to be true.

• Like 5

LOL, Fredo. No one will ask him any questions, and if they do, he will pretend not to understand and launch into his talking points. This isn't that kind of event. 

As for being on stage with Wozniak, that's pretty much the same thing. Woz is a lovely human, but he's been irrelevant to the industry since he left Apple in 1985. That's just one year after Warner Atari sold off to the Tramiels and entered its first phase of being a brand custodian. 

Fred does not deserve any halo effect from being seen with nice things and people. If I ran Fox News, I would have run the Alamogordo landfill excavation next to his face. Of course, if I ran Fox News, there would be other changes as well ... (remember the AtariAge rule, no politics!)

Hey, here's a fun quote from Fred from a few years ago.

According to Chesnais, Atari is now a 10-person operation focused on finding partners to create products based on its huge stable of IP. However, Chesnais noted that, "I didn't buy the company to make T-shirts and stuff like that. We are way, way, way beyond that."

While Atari is committed to making new games, Chesnais also said that he also thinks of the company as, "a hardware brand."

"With new licensing with the right partners we build the brand not only in the software space but also in the hardware space," he said, claiming that the company would "carefully announce" its plans over the next few years. In the meantime, Chesnais offered one potential product as an example of what the new Atari might offer.

"I'm not talking about a new console ... but, like, a watch. A gamified watch. It's not what we are going to do, but think about [something like] that," he said.

"[Atari is] a generational brand... It's a lifestyle brand. You could never do that with a brand like THQ. I mean, back in the heydays, THQ was never a lifestyle brand."

Maybe they should have finished the watch first.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Yep.  If I had to guess, it'll either be a repeat of the GDC off-site hotel suite fiasco, or they may have someone at a table in a breakout area. 

I was envisioning something a little more like this as the attendants exit the presentation rooms  ...

210302868_ScreenShot2019-10-16at12_38_38PM.png.edbce532d866c0850e24d12f212ec706.png

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, racerx said:

No, Fred, Wozniak was never an Atari employee.

Sweet baby Jesus.

They didn't make the Arcade1UP cabinets either, and neither Jobs nor Wozniak created any other games during their time at Atari.

But Atari SA will sure let you think that they did.

Fred's a weasel, and I hope that something very, very unpleasant happens to him.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

No idea, but this conference looks like a real pile of crap based on the buzzword-heavy schedule for day one:

dYZHiYF.png

This conference really does look like a whole bunch of groupthink around why your business needs <insert buzzword here>, coupled with subsequent bad management ideas coming down the IT pipeline involving external service providers.  Kinda feel sorry for Woz; got to see and hear him speak at the NAMM show a few years ago and he was great.  Pity he's attached to what looks like a really awful conference.

I imagine that if Fred shows his "prototype" VCS to Wozniak, Woz might lose his composure (whether it be uncontrollable laughter or just taking the board and tossing it across the room). Could be another episode of comedy in this whole saga.

As for the possibility of them showing a real, working board...that would be a surprise only a few weeks after Wyatt quit. I have a feeling at this is to stop the hemorrhaging of El Reg's article. Who's up for a Coleco Chameleon repeat, just this time it'll be a RPi4 in those lovely VCShells? 

As for the conference, sounds like that Weird Al song personified.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JBerel said:

Even with his thick line of bullshit, Fredo still can't even infer there is a working prototype. He's just walkin around with a lump of plastic and talkin about it to anyone who will listen. 

If you're a Svengoolie fan, you may know the "dummy" "Fraido".  Well, here's "Fredo" the dummy as he is a lump of plastic.

917603348_Fredothedummy.thumb.jpg.2442eac60011ab2ae4e3e35aec5ee83b.jpg

For posterity, here's the original dummy:

fraido_dummy.jpg.52f40bf88cc16c376d106d1e30d8e04e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, frankodragon said:

With crazy contestants' reactions too. 

Or how about the Oprah Winfrey show?

- You don't get an Atari VCS!

- And YOU don't get an Atari VCS!

- And YOU don't get an Atari VCS!

- In fact nobody gets an Atari VCS today!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

To be fair, the ending of the 'Atari: Game Over' documentary also claims Wozniak and Jobs created Breakout. -_-

The version of the story I heard from Wozniak himself: Nolan Bushnell had launched an internal contest to improve the hardware of Breakout. Jobs was working at Atari at the time, but since he had been employed there because they thought he had made Wozniak's Pong clone, he asked Woz to do it for him and split the reward between the two. But Wozniak told me they lost, because his version of Breakout used expensive components (actually RAM if I remember correctly) and the idea was rather to simplify the hardware to make it cheaper...

Edited by roots.genoa
clarification
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, carlsson said:

I haven't looked up if Subversive is good or bad regarding how they use their rights, but time will tell.

Geez, it only took me 11 hours to find out. Apparently someone posted a YouTube video picturing Hungry Horace in a sexual point of view, which caused the new IP rights holders not only to force the video to be brought down, but also threatening the poster in a rather harsh way to the point the latter expressed their direct fears of what will happen now.

I haven't looked up all of the stuff but it is blooming on Twitter and Facebook as we post. Well, I understand that one wants to protect their IP but not by threatening people.

Also there seems to be a link between Subvert Ltd / Subversive and Retro Games Limited who make THEC64, but perhaps that is mostly coincidental and only one person with interests in both.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DurradonXylles said:

To have a custom Linux distro with that menu interface, and not violate the various open source software licenses that they are released on, they need to not only have programmers to build the architecture and interface (as well as make sure that it works on the AMD APU since they're known for not playing incredibly well with Linux), but also copyright lawyers that specialize in software licensing. 

You're forgetting about one thing, Kodi.

The Alienware Alpha used a custom skin on Kodi to give it a console like experience on PC. All they need is Ubuntu to force start Kodi with a locked-in custom skin.

https://www.howtogeek.com/67497/how-to-skin-your-xbmc-for-fame-glory-and-best-looking-media-browsing-around/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Ah brqk3n or otherwise known as Lucas C. Clamoring on about proof yet not asking Atari for any proof that their oversized Pi works. Cult think at is finest.

Ahh...so that's Lucas.  I thought he seemed familiar.  Exactly what kind of proof is he looking for?  Are we just going to pretend the Tempest 4K thing never happened?

And again, if they are just getting a prototype in October, what was the hardware games were running on back in June?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, The Historian said:

You're forgetting about one thing, Kodi.

The Alienware Alpha used a custom skin on Kodi to give it a console like experience on PC. All they need is Ubuntu to force start Kodi with a locked-in custom skin.

https://www.howtogeek.com/67497/how-to-skin-your-xbmc-for-fame-glory-and-best-looking-media-browsing-around/

I'm counting on them doing something like that -- and for someone to notice it right away, publicize what they've done, and release a better free version of anything they make. 

Nothing else about this project is original in the least, after all. 

• Like 4