IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I hope all is well at the new company SurfaceInk, Fred contracted to finish this fine product...
I hope he does not micro-manage them.. walking back and forth.. asking "are you dont yet?" Screaming
"Wozniak WAS ABLE TO BUILD BREAKOUT IN A CAVE!, WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

OUYA delivered more than AtariBox ever will. More software, more users, more innovation, more sales. 

Very true. I also had a good experience with the Ouya. Never understood all the bashing it got.

I also developed a game for it (Game Catcher), and I got it on there right at the console's launch date. Since the platform was still very new, my game actually got noticed by a few journalists. Of course, they didn't like it-- but I still enjoyed the fact that that happened. xD

Oh, and I actually really liked that commercial they made for it too. Lol. xD

• Like 4

Just now, OCAT said:

I hope all is well at the new company SurfaceInk, Fred contracted to finish this fine product...
I hope he does not micro-manage them.. walking back and forth.. asking "are you dont yet?" Screaming
"Wozniak WAS ABLE TO BUILD BREAKOUT IN A CAVE!, WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!!"

29 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

That 2012 entry, though:

image.thumb.png.e35557f00e3dada0c913c09db4bddf43.png

Yeah, I go back to the comment I said about SurfaceInk originally: they wear each client they've served, and each device they helped create or consult for, proudly like patches or badges on a jacket regardless of how large, small, successful or failed the client and/or device is. We have zero confirmation that Atari is even going with them, certainly not from SI which updates their site and LinkedIn page regularly. El Reg stated that Atari was going with them, but as far as we know, this could be their source making assumptions based on murmurs from the half-dozen people running Atari SA that make up Atari Gamebox LLC. Even if Atari is not the same company it was forty, thirty, twenty or even ten years ago, having their name in the public clientele list would only benefit SurfaceInk. I remain skeptical that they even got contacted at all until either they or Atari make the huge, bombastic public announcement of "working together".

• Like 6

I just thought the Ooya link was an interesting connection.  Wouldn't surprise me if they were already working through them as the Chinese factory liaison. 

Any ideas why they apparently dropped Flextronics (now Flex, Inc.)?  AFAIK they do the same thing as SurfaceInk.  It was listed as the manufacturer in their 04/2018 disclosure PDF.  

Of course, they quickly became three million dollars richer after that, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I'm worried about the wellbeing of the supporters group. Are they on life support? Are they all about to drink the tainted Kool Aid?

AtariLight.png.138482ea45ab7733f7e8d7e113507fd9.png

Don't worry supporters! We are here, and we are on a mission from God.

Light2.thumb.jpg.829703d91c04ce896af8a23ec1fc2a8d.jpg

And just because I love the scene....

To be fair, they did get to see the light. 

It only took almost 3 years, but it's progress!

Maybe by this time next year, it'll be able to play a sound when you turn it on, too. 

And one day, it might even be ass fully-featured as a Walkman. Though the Walkman will clearly have more features and better battery life.  

2 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

That 2012 entry, though:

image.thumb.png.e35557f00e3dada0c913c09db4bddf43.png

That PowerBook G4 is certainly an interesting design. It shows how far Apple went in the five years between that model and the MacBook Pro - they managed to shrink it down to a sliver of the size and even build a screen into it!

I'm just a little confused as to why they had to make it exponentially bigger than and reuse the name from the previous model two years earlier in 2001. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I just thought the Ooya link was an interesting connection.  Wouldn't surprise me if they were already working through them as the Chinese factory liaison. 

Any ideas why they apparently dropped Flextronics (now Flex, Inc.)?  AFAIK they do the same thing as SurfaceInk.  It was listed as the manufacturer in their 04/2018 disclosure PDF.  

Of course, they quickly became three million dollars richer after that, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'm gonna take a page from Stephan Werner's book and give you this answer, which of course, is the real story.

1) Flextronics was contracted to build the AtariVCS, but Atari's plans were too advanced for Flextronics to follow.

2) With only a few major changes from Atari each week, they struggled mightily failing time after time, delaying Atari's well thought out timeline with each failure.

3) Then after only 18 months, Flextronics started bitching about getting paid when they hadn't finished the project.

4) Nobody does work expecting to be paid in that same decade.

5) There's always somebody else willing to work without getting paid, so Atari took their business elsewhere.

6) Flextronics is disgruntled because they couldn't follow Atari's advanced planning documents and they started spewing negativity.  

7) Then they started trash talking Atari on social media, but Atari's excellent marketing company was able to delete all those posts before anyone saw them.

8) Then, the marketing company starting bitching for no reason about not getting paid for the last two years.

9) Then both of those outfits slept with Atari's wife and kicked Atari's dog. Ungrateful bastards.

10) There has been zero indication that Atari is anything but full steam ahead, and will meet all their goals.

11)Facebook and IndieGoGo are major websites and would never engage with companies without evidence that everything is above board and they will meet their timeline as expected. THAT ALONE should be solid proof that everything is on track. (But that won't stop the taco eating trolls from continuing to spew and make me cry and wet myself constantly.) 

Glad I could tell you the real truth. (as told to me by my neighbor's dog.)

image.jpeg.b0209da4ba20d9b8608fee34246f0e27.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

6 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

To be fair, they did get to see the light. 

It only took almost 3 years, but it's progress!

Maybe by this time next year, it'll be able to play a sound when you turn it on, too. 

And one day, it might even be ass fully-featured as a Walkman. Though the Walkman will clearly have more features and better battery life.  

That PowerBook G4 is certainly an interesting design. It shows how far Apple went in the five years between that model and the MacBook Pro - they managed to shrink it down to a sliver of the size and even build a screen into it!

I'm just a little confused as to why they had to make it exponentially bigger than and reuse the name from the previous model two years earlier in 2001. 

The problem is that is the only thing they've shown to work on the unconsole. Technically that isn't even true as its been a generic LED switch amd not something coming from the board.

Now I will amend it to say that there are still pictures of this potential. Its sad that they've done enough for illustrative purposes crap that I almost want to question all the still pictures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

The problem is that is the only thing they've shown to work on the unconsole. Technically that isn't even true as its been a generic LED switch amd not something coming from the board.

Now I will amend it to say that there are still pictures of this potential. Its sad that they've done enough for illustrative purposes crap that I almost want to question all the still pictures.

Atari really did this to themselves as far as I can see. Even if they made a contract/NDA with those other companies, it was a really flawed contract to begin with and should have never been signed.

The problem is, Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo are allowed to get away with being secretive about their hardware projects, because they've proven dozens of times that they can launch successful hardware.

Atari isn't even the same COMPANY anymore. They're probably literally smaller than the company I currently work for, of 35-40 employees. So Atari has to fulfill the burden of proof for everyone, and so far they refuse to.

In their eyes, they believe they're as big as the other players, when they really aren't. That attitude is what is causing this iteration of Atari to commit suicide.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 6

There's a good reason why other hardware manufacturers are allowed to get away with being secretive about their hardware projects. Those legitimate manufacturers didn't ask other people to pay for them to make the stuff sight unseen. They also aren't operating under contractual obligations to tell those who are funding their project what the hell they are doing with their money.

You pay for it yourself, you get to do and say whatever you like. 

You ask others to pay for it and don't meet your contractual obligations, that's theft by fraud, plain and simple.

It's astounding how low the bar is for people more than happy to disregard those little uncomfortable facts and carry on month after month like they have not already been defrauded by failure to report.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBerel said:

I'm gonna take a page from Stephan Werner's book and give you this answer, which of course, is the real story.

1) Flextronics was contracted to build the AtariVCS, but Atari's plans were too advanced for Flextronics to follow.

2) With only a few major changes from Atari each week, they struggled mightily failing time after time, delaying Atari's well thought out timeline with each failure.

3) Then after only 18 months, Flextronics started bitching about getting paid when they hadn't finished the project.

5) There's always somebody else willing to work without getting paid, so Atari took their business elsewhere.

6) Flextronics is disgruntled because they couldn't follow Atari's advanced planning documents and they started spewing negativity.  

7) Then they started trash talking Atari on social media, but Atari's excellent marketing company was able to delete all those posts before anyone saw them.

8) Then, the marketing company starting bitching for no reason about not getting paid for the last two years.

9) Then both of those outfits slept with Atari's wife and kicked Atari's dog. Ungrateful bastards.

10) There has been zero indication that Atari is anything but full steam ahead, and will meet all their goals.

11)Facebook and IndieGoGo are major websites and would never engage with companies without evidence that everything is above board and they will meet their timeline as expected. THAT ALONE should be solid proof that everything is on track. (But that won't stop the taco eating trolls from continuing to spew and make me cry and wet myself constantly.) 

6 minutes ago, JBerel said:

There's a good reason why other hardware manufacturers are allowed to get away with being secretive about their hardware projects. Those legitimate manufacturers didn't ask other people to pay for them to make the stuff sight unseen. They also aren't operating under contractual obligations to tell those who are funding their project what the hell they are doing with their money.

You pay for it yourself, you get to do and say whatever you like. 

You ask others to pay for it and don't meet your contractual obligations, that's theft by fraud, plain and simple.

It's astounding how low the bar is for people more than happy to disregard those little uncomfortable facts and carry on month after month like they have not already been defrauded by failure to report.  

I love that despite the fact that Atari's VCS project has a higher turnover rate than the public works sanitation office of any given major city, has an ever increasing list of broken contractual agreements both by them and their contractors, and they got people whistle-blowing the project, Atari SA, and Fred Chesnais like no tomorrow, the console's development is smoothly moving forward and will be delivered on time this time around despite all evidence to the contrary. It's been promised to us, so it must be true! :D

Edited by DurradonXylles
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JBerel said:

This post was so Beyond Brilliant I don't think I have the words...

Even just look at  this sentence alone...(With a little extra emphasis)

2) With only a Few MAJOR CHANGES from Atari each week, they struggled mightily failing time after time, delaying Atari's well thought out timeline with each failure.

My God!  I was laughing so hard I nearly knocked myself out.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DurradonXylles said:

I love that despite the fact that Atari's VCS project has a higher turnover rate than the public works sanitation office of any given major city, has an ever increasing list of broken contractual agreements both by them and their contractors, and they got people whistle-blowing the project, Atari SA, and Fred Chesnais like no tomorrow, the console's development is smoothly moving forward and will be delivered on time this time around despite all evidence to the contrary. It's been promised to us, so it must be true! :D

Well, I'll tell you this-- even if the system never comes out, they did manage to get a case together, then got a re-designed version of that case together, and they got a prototype board of some sort (functionality unknown). They also had someone put that slideshow together detailing the blueprints of the board, front and back. It's actually made more progress than the Coleco Chameleon. Credit where credit's due I suppose...

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

This post was so Beyond Brilliant I don't think I have the words...

Even just look at  this sentence alone...(With a little extra emphasis)

2) With only a Few MAJOR CHANGES from Atari each week, they struggled mightily failing time after time, delaying Atari's well thought out timeline with each failure.

My God!  I was laughing so hard I nearly knocked myself out.

John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

I couldn't help but think of this lol

• Haha 4