IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I'm wondering if we will be buried with our computer chairs since we can't get our fat butts out of them...
By the way I find it harder every night to climb stairs in a rolling computer chair to go to bed. It's easier, and a lot of fun, to go down the stairs for lunch though.

• Haha 10

12 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm wondering if we will be buried with our computer chairs since we can't get our fat butts out of them...
By the way I find it harder every night to climb stairs in a rolling computer chair to go to bed. It's easier, and a lot of fun, to go down the stairs for lunch though.

Frozen burritos right? Best served in your mother's basement I hear.

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Someone is feeling hypocritical tonight. Unless these beliefs come from the church of Atari. If they do definitely don't drink the Kool Aid.

Screenshot_20191021-201334_Facebook.thumb.jpg.2408710b5d3611000e9531f0e3c89792.jpg

Speaking of the church of Atari. I hear these are the vestments for their church leaders...

Screenshot_20191021-201853_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bb40361c118525732d53a4b872646908.jpg

Russell seems to be reading this thread, and methinks we touched a nerve. The way he wrote that comment reminds me of how I would angrily reply to people I didn't like when I was 12-13 on Chatango and AIM. Not going to say anything beyond that, make of that comment what you will fellow AA members and passersby of the general public.

Going to speak mano y mano to Russell for a minute. Just remember, as a VCS backer:

Timeline.jpg

At best, I'd generously say you're at Second Prototype, which was supposed to happen last year as per Atari SA's original roadmap before losing their first console architect and hiring Rob Wyatt and Tin Giant. Problem is, Atari is not forthcoming with information unless people leak how rocky development is or some backers/preorders like yourself start raising hell in Reddit.

Any information Atari reveals about the project only tends to come after people leak it out to publications like The Register, or to online entities like a handful of YouTubers or here, and will vehemently deny anything is going wrong until everyone else points it out to them. They also got banned from moderating their own subreddits twice for their misconduct.

So, Russell, how come you're so angry with us? Yes, we here are as snarky as the day is long, but we aren't there ones trying to hide or obscure information until it's been made public knowledge everywhere. We aren't ignoring or silencing honest questions with the project. We're certainly not the ones trying to make promises, ranging from  reasonable to ludicrous, that we constantly fail to keep. We're not the people who took your money, we're just the guys talking about them and mocking them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, DurradonXylles said:

It's never a good look, but Atari SA and their crack PR team has been nothing if not tactless. 

Reminds me of a quote from Archie Bunker from "Archie Bunker's Place"

Tactless?  Just ask anyone here, I'm just as tacky as the next guy!

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DurradonXylles said:

At best, I'd generously say you're at Second Prototype, which was supposed to happen last year as per Atari SA's original roadmap before losing their first console architect and hiring Rob Wyatt and Tin Giant. 

Yeah, it's hard for me to define.  To me, the first prototype would be the very first that's actually inside the console shell.  That'd make this one the first prototype--which we've yet to see even working.  The second prototype  would hopefully iron out the problems of the first.  

Atari may consider the first development board to be the first prototype--or even the first laptop/pc they used before they called it "for illustration purposes only".   By that standard, we may be on the third or fourth prototype -- 1: Laptop/PC, 2: Garage dev. board, 3: Black box GDC (if different from #2), 4: Current prototype

They probably think this is true, because while @Flojomojo put the "You Are Here" arrow that image comes from their IGG campaign.  And, the step immediately above it is "pre-order campaign", so they went in thinking (or pretending) they had a prototype.

I dunno.  In-as-much fun and enlightening this thread has been, I've been wondering if it's worth continuing to post.  I'm not sure if any minds have been changed from us, or if it's just people facing the stark reality of Atari's failings.  I saw another AA thread where one intrepid poster from this thread laid out perfectly why that person won't support current Atari.  The response?  The same ol' shtick that all consoles go through developmental ups and downs ; that the difference is we're witnessing it because of Atari's transparency.  The frustrating part is I'm pretty sure that same user has been explained that the problem is that Atari crowdfunded this instead of funding it by normal means.  

Of course, the ol' "lead a horse to water" idiom applies.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Yeah, it's hard for me to define.  To me, the first prototype would be the very first that's actually inside the console shell.  That'd make this one the first prototype--which we've yet to see even working.  The second prototype  would hopefully iron out the problems of the first.  

Atari may consider the first development board to be the first prototype--or even the first laptop/pc they used before they called it "for illustration purposes only".   By that standard, we may be on the third or fourth prototype. 

1: Laptop/PC, 2: Garage dev. board, 3: Black box GDC (if different from #2), 4: Current prototype

They probably think this is true, because while @Flojomojo put the "You Are Here" arrow that image comes from their IGG campaign.  And, the step immediately above it is "pre-order campaign", so they went in thinking (or pretending) they had a prototype.

I dunno.  In-as-much fun and enlightening this thread has been, I've been wondering if it's worth continuing to post.  I'm not sure if any minds have been changed from us, or if it's just people facing the stark reality of Atari's failings.  I saw another AA thread where one intrepid poster from this thread laid out perfectly why that person won't support current Atari.  The response?  The same ol' shtick that all consoles go through developmental ups and downs ; that the difference is we're witnessing it because of Atari's transparency.  The frustrating part is I'm pretty sure that same user has been explained that the problem is that Atari crowdfunded this instead of funding it by normal means.  

I notice that a few of the backers commenting on the Indiegogo campaign are starting to get their doubts on the console as well-- even our friend John Phelan, who was bending over backwards to support this thing. James Joseph Sullivan is a blind, diehard supporter so he's not going to change his mind anytime soon, while all the others around him are pointing out flaws in his comments:

image.thumb.png.ce08b08fb2099d48c5686ee69fd43360.png

The comments section in the indiegogo page seems to just be falling apart in general. Also, I am SUPER glad I stopped supporting the project and just stopped giving a shit before that "Atari VCS Supporters" group was made. Eeeuughh..... that situation is just weird...

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I dunno.  In-as-much fun and enlightening this thread has been, I've been wondering if it's worth continuing to post.  I'm not sure if any minds have been changed from us, or if it's just people facing the stark reality of Atari's failings.

2 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I notice that a few of the backers commenting on the Indiegogo campaign are starting to get their doubts on the console as well-- even our friend John Phelan, who was bending over backwards to support this thing. James Joseph Sullivan is a blind, diehard supporter so he's not going to change his mind anytime soon, while all the others around him are pointing out flaws in his comments:

image.thumb.png.ce08b08fb2099d48c5686ee69fd43360.png

The comments section in the indiegogo page seems to just be falling apart in general. Also, I am SUPER glad I stopped supporting the project and just stopped giving a shit before that "Atari VCS Supporters" group was made. Eeeuughh..... that situation is just weird...

I get what you're saying, @PlaysWithWolves, but it's because every step of this project has been a misstep in one form or another that keeps me coming back and attributing to peanut gallery chatter. If people's minds are changed about the TacoBox, it's because of Atari failing to keep their interest and/or confidence; we only provide the evidence, the screencaps, and the punchlines.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, DurradonXylles said:

Had that conference appearance with the showroom model accomplished anything, like Woz saying how good/great/not vaporware it looked, or even convincing ol' Steve invest some capital into a company that previously ripped him off five grand, we certainly would've heard something by now. With how things are looking Atari would be jumping on any positive press they have, especially with their PR UberStrategists pulling stuff like this.

It's never a good look, but Atari SA and their crack PR team has been nothing if not tactless. Expecting them to handle critical comments or legitimate concerns in any reasonable fashion (y'know, like consummate professionals?) is like asking a bucket of water to evaporate: they'll eventually do it, but only under enough heat and pressure.

It's also possible that presenters signed an agreement not to use Woz to peddle their projects after the conference. I'm sure Woz isn't stupid and knows how much validity he can give to a brand just by standing there holding something not to mention wearing a hat.

source.gif

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

It's also possible that presenters signed an agreement not to use Woz to peddle their projects after the conference. I'm sure Woz isn't stupid and knows how much validity he can give to a brand just by standing there holding something not to mention wearing a hat.

source.gif

Very true, very true. It's easy to assume that almost a week after that conference without any buzz from the event from either Chesnais or Atari, Woz wasn't/isn't going to give Atari an easy out for their ongoing project. This is especially true if they got close to nothing to show outside of an [assumably] empty plastic shell and a[n equally assumed] nonfunctioning, 1:1 scale model of a wireless Atari 2600 controller.

Edited by DurradonXylles
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Also, I am SUPER glad I stopped supporting the project and just stopped giving a shit before that "Atari VCS Supporters" group was made. Eeeuughh..... that situation is just weird...

Technically unless you get your money back,  you are still supporting the project :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

Technically unless you get your money back,  you are still supporting the project :)

True, but the transaction was made so far back now that I likely can't approach PayPal/Indiegogo to get those funds back. Atari has the money. 

Also, I'm still a little curious about what I'm going to get delivered to me, if anything. Not trying to say it's going to be a good system, but it will be interesting to follow the rest of this situation and see how things pan out with it. It's kinda fun in a weird, twisted sort of way. xD

• Like 2

I dunno how any rational person can even claim 1st prototype accomplished. By their own admission, they haven't had anything they've created running on the AMD Linux environment. That includes the monster test board and the mini board which I'm sure doesn't function.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Atari may consider the first development board to be the first prototype--or even the first laptop/pc they used before they called it "for illustration purposes only".   By that standard, we may be on the third or fourth prototype -- 1: Laptop/PC, 2: Garage dev. board, 3: Black box GDC (if different from #2), 4: Current prototype

This thread isn't about changing minds. It is about tacos and fun banter.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

3 hours ago, Lodmot said:

True, but the transaction was made so far back now that I likely can't approach PayPal/Indiegogo to get those funds back. Atari has the money.

Every day I kick myself for giving them money and you are not going to get a refund at this point. I tried that already.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TACODON said:

Every day I kick myself for giving them money and you are not going to get a refund at this point. I tried that already.

Yeah > 3 <

Well... maybe we'll both get systems if they somehow manage to get them delivered to us.... o 3 o 

I'll be sure to add you as a friend on Atari OS. ;D

By the way, just out of curiosity, who else here regrettably bought a console? o w o 

• Haha 1