IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm wondering if we will be buried with our computer chairs since we can't get our fat butts out of them...
By the way I find it harder every night to climb stairs in a rolling computer chair to go to bed. It's easier, and a lot of fun, to go down the stairs for lunch though.

down_the_stairs.gif.f93c62e9f82644d46d2dc689b2a1d2f2.gif

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Lodmot said:

Yeah > 3 <

Well... maybe we'll both get systems if they somehow manage to get them delivered to us.... o 3 o 

I'll be sure to add you as a friend on Atari OS. ;D

By the way, just out of curiosity, who else here regrettably bought a console? o w o 

I wouldn't say regrettably.  I supported it as a crowd funded project with the full understanding that sometimes these projects don't work out.  I liked the initial concept and wanted to be "in" if something came of it.  Atari's biggest mistake is doing all of the development etc. in full public view.  Their PR team is abysmal and updates are too few and far between.  In larger companies like Microsoft and Sony, you don't have the opportunity to criticize them as much because they keep development in house and behind closed doors.  This should have been the way Atari set about things from the start.  I am still staying positive that something will come out, however and look forward to adding you as a friend on Atari OS too!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

Atari's biggest mistake is doing all of the development etc. in full public view.  Their PR team is abysmal and updates are too few and far between.

I'm confused:  Are they doing too many updates (the first sentence) or not enough (the latter)?

FWIW, Indiegogo requires frequent updates of "at least once a month".  They really don't (or shouldn't) have a choice.  

At least you went in with eyes-wide-open about the risk. :) 

1 minute ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I'm confused:  Are they doing too many updates (the first sentence) or not enough (the latter)?

FWIW, Indiegogo requires frequent updates of "at least once a month".  They really don't (or shouldn't) have a choice.  

At least you went in with eyes-wide-open about the risk. :) 

They should have done everything behind closed doors like the big boys and foregone the Indiegogo process.  Since they went the Indiegogo route they are not doing enough.  Sorry for the confusing statement.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

I wouldn't say regrettably.  I supported it as a crowd funded project with the full understanding that sometimes these projects don't work out.  I liked the initial concept and wanted to be "in" if something came of it.  Atari's biggest mistake is doing all of the development etc. in full public view.  Their PR team is abysmal and updates are too few and far between.  In larger companies like Microsoft and Sony, you don't have the opportunity to criticize them as much because they keep development in house and behind closed doors.  This should have been the way Atari set about things from the start.  I am still staying positive that something will come out, however and look forward to adding you as a friend on Atari OS too!

I was actually half-joking (and failing at it) by mentioning adding friends on Atari OS. There won't be one when we get our units (if there is one, it likely won't have much functionality at all).

But at any rate, if on some off-chance our consoles actually DO ship with Atari OS and it has that ability-- I'll absolutely add you as a friend too. :)

To add to that, I definitely agree that their updates and PR are totally abysmal. If you talked to me back in October of 2018, I would've NEVER imagined it would get this out of hand. In my mind, the most logical thing to do would be to give people what they ask for in terms of communication and updates, so I would've figured as such that the company would proceed that way. Nope.... doesn't work that way.

As it is, the company is trying to revitalize make a profit off of an already dead brand. By not listening to us, all they're doing is beating a dead horse at this point. I almost wonder if any organization would even care to pick up the Atari branding after this whole situation concludes, if Atari SA/Ataribox LLC does in fact go bankrupt.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

As it is, the company is trying to revitalize an already dead brand. By not listening to us, all they're doing is beating a dead horse at this point. I almost wonder if any organization would even care to pick up the Atari branding after this whole situation concludes, if Atari SA/Ataribox LLC does in fact go bankrupt.

I'd buy that for a dollar! And that's about all it's worth!

Image result for robocop i'd buy that for a dollar

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

They should have done everything behind closed doors like the big boys and foregone the Indiegogo process.  Since they went the Indiegogo route they are not doing enough.  Sorry for the confusing statement.

When the big boys take upwards of five years, spend hundreds of millions and hire thousands of people to make a console, there's only so much a two bit operation like Atari can do like them.

Mind you, doing it all behind closed doors would have given them the option of quietly canning it.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

Where's the easy $3M in that? You are giving them too much credit. They should have done what they tried to do in 2014. License their name to a computer maker. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

When the big boys take upwards of five years, spend hundreds of millions and hire thousands of people to make a console, there's only so much a two bit operation like Atari can do like them.

Mind you, doing it all behind closed doors would have given them the option of quietly canning it.

Yeah they don't really have an option of quietly ending this with how they went about it. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

why, here's another interview where no questions are really answered!

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/interview-atari-vcs

Beat me to it. 

Honestly there is nothing new there. It's a puff piece, likely to be able to keep communication lines open. We know Atari likes to shut down people who do not good the party line.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 6

"'Early access' does not mean incomplete or unfinished," Chesnais says. "It will be the current state of the software which we will continue to refine and finesse up until launch, and as with any game system, beyond."

So... that means it's incomplete or unfinished.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

51 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Beat me to it. 

Honestly there is nothing new there. It's a puff piece, likely to be able to keep communication lines open. We know Atari likes to shut down people who do not good the party line.

Sounds like something a troll farmer would say... X)

• Like 1

I was just thinking... someone at Atari is owed some non-snarky, non-sarcastic props: whoever their concept artist is. The VCS design caught people's attention visually. A lot of people think the box looks cool... specs aside. The controller mockups? People go "yeah, I'm not interested in a Linux box but I want that controller." Even the "for illustrative purposes" menus that some people here like that are probably not real was probably the work of Mr. (or Ms.) Unsung Concept Artist.

So cheers Anonymous Concept Artist! ? Like the great SFX artists of LucasFilm, your skill has transported believers to a world that they could never experience in real life.

Edited by JaqenHghar
tyypo
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, JaqenHghar said:

I was just think... someone at Atari is owed some non-snarky, non-sarcastic props: whoever their concept artist is. The VCS design caught people's attention visually. A lot of people think the box looks cool... specs aside. The controller mockups? People go "yeah, I'm not interested in a Linux box but I want that controller." Even the "for illustrative purposes" menus that some people here like that are probably not real was probably the work of Mr. (or Ms.) Unsung Concept Artist.

So cheers Anonymous Concept Artist! ? Like the great SFX artists of LucasFilm, your skill has transported believers to a world that they could never experience in real life.

I think the classic controller looks cool minus the range of motion they showed. I think the classic games require a tighter stick. I think using it will not be much different than using a basic analogue stick. Too loose from the looks of it. But that is just my opinion.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JaqenHghar said:

I was just think... someone at Atari is owed some non-snarky, non-sarcastic props: whoever their concept artist is. The VCS design caught people's attention visually. A lot of people think the box looks cool... specs aside. The controller mockups? People go "yeah, I'm not interested in a Linux box but I want that controller." Even the "for illustrative purposes" menus that some people here like that are probably not real was probably the work of Mr. (or Ms.) Unsung Concept Artist.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly.  The console and joystick look f'n awesome.  Not awesome enough for me to throw 400 goddamn dollars at an unforeseen conclusion, but awesome nonetheless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digdugnate said:

why, here's another interview where no questions are really answered!

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/interview-atari-vcs

2 hours ago, The Historian said:

Beat me to it. 

Where do they get off calling that an "interview?" As far as I can tell, only one question was asked, and it was a slow-pitch blooper:

"But the current question lingers: how much will it be capable of from the get-go?"

I wouldn't have bothered publishing this if I were them. It's basically an advertorial. Who lets off an interview subject with

"he says that "when we and our partners are ready to make announcements about new, original, and porting of existing games we will do so."

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Sure, it won't be unfinished. They'd need had to have actually started something to call it that. ?

Maybe their plan is to send out boxes of random loose parts and see if anyone can assemble them into a working machine?

Eh...you'd still have people defending the project. If people complained, supporters would just say they are entitled babies who are too stupid to put together a console. 

This would actually be an interesting idea for a reality TV show:  Take a beloved IP, get people invested in it, and then take increasingly larger craps on the backers to see how much abuse they will take.  At the very end, they could interview the last supporter and try to understand why they willing to stick it out so long.  They could call it "Survivor: Taco Island".

Edited by Agillig
  • Haha 11

10 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Maybe their plan is to send out boxes of random loose parts and see if anyone can assemble them into a working machine?

Don't forget the handful of little brass gears! 

@Agillig it does almost feel like an experiment to test how far brand loyalties can be stretched, doesn't it? It's amazing how far that, plus vague promises, can take some people, even with all the facts pulling in the completely opposite direction. 

• Like 5