IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

No prototype = all monies raised get spent on development and nothing is left to fund manufacturing.

Seems like a major whiff to me. A grandma can get emulation going on a Raspberry Pi and your toaster can run Netflix these days. What's special about this device beyond the branding?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Thanks to this I discovered the concept of Non-Fungible Token and... this is scary. The digital equivalent of collecting, if that makes sense. ? 

Yeah, it's yet another half-baked attempt to jump on a bandwagon that's already long departed, and with a couple of bad games that next to nobody still plays to boot.

As if collecting Cryptokitties wasn't mad enough, who is going to want to trade items for a fortune in the bad mobile version of Rollercoaster Tycoon?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Benheck said:

No prototype = all monies raised get spent on development and nothing is left to fund manufacturing.

Which is possible.  It's also possible that whatever they net from the Indiegogo campaign was used to improve the financial reports for that year and / or cover a short-term financial crisis, leaving them with little to nothing for development.

Given that Indiegogo's TOS completely absolve their campaigners from needing to show a prototype or actually deliver a product (i.e., completely removing any responsibility towards the backers), it's not too far-fetched to imagine.

Seems like a major whiff to me. A grandma can get emulation going on a Raspberry Pi and your toaster can run Netflix these days. What's special about this device beyond the branding?

Exactly.  Assuming that the intent was to deliver, 2% of the effort should have been spent on deciding which off-the-shelf SBC to use, with the remainder going into physical design, the OS, online backend, packaging, and (eventually) retail marketing.  There's no excuse for not showing a working device over two years from the start of this saga when the core device can pretty much be Lego-bricked together.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Was it an Ataribox?

11 hours ago, JaqenHghar said:

Ah, right... the Converse partnership.

Seriously, early on (now that I think about it, it wasn't a video) there was a black cardboard box with the Atari logo, and a red box with the logo, and they asked "Which one do you want?"

I wish I could find it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

There's no excuse for not showing a working device over two years from the start of this saga when the core device can pretty much be Lego-bricked together.

Especially nowadays, choose X86 or ARM, great now choose a CPU and get working on software, that's the harder part, you can always upgrade the CPU at a later date 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Inky said:

Seriously, early on (now that I think about it, it wasn't a video) there was a black cardboard box with the Atari logo, and a red box with the logo, and they asked "Which one do you want?"

I wish I could find it.

Kinda small, but I think this is what you're referring to:

image.png.ddfd84e359fb3a0c99d7601d03ab0759.png

Very different from the actual boxes they ended up with:

(the boxes below are also in the video I posted on the last page)

image.thumb.png.eff48c9819d6e18856ebf80a7e2873ea.png

image.png

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lodmot said:

Kinda small, but I think this is what you're referring to:

image.png.ddfd84e359fb3a0c99d7601d03ab0759.png

Very different from the actual boxes they ended up with:

(the boxes below are also in the video I posted on the last page)

image.thumb.png.eff48c9819d6e18856ebf80a7e2873ea.png

image.png

Yes!  That's it!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

When you got nothing, post old shit that has nothing to do with the VCS :)

88E32736-EF39-4693-B0A5-481249655796.thumb.png.ce9ae722ad6e5bef72aced73c71de4a7.png

86774F2B-C8D1-4E34-AE84-954BB7B21BA1.thumb.jpeg.683631c8a0e6caf06dc0370b10ac0e4c.jpeg

LOL. "Great info" on two games that are in development for non-VCS platforms.

I've made this point before, but in a universe where Atari has a working system, or had intended to have a working system, a title like Roller Coaster Tycoon would be touted ad nauseaum as a killer app and a launch title for the VCS. But here we are almost two and a half years after this thing was announced, less than two months before it's supposed to go to backers and they've got Atari Vault and Antstream...not even a hint that their revolutionary new gaming UnConsole will have their flagship IP on it.

hint hint!  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

LOL. "Great info" on two games that are in development for non-VCS platforms.

I've made this point before, but in a universe where Atari has a working system, or had intended to have a working system, a title like Roller Coaster Tycoon would be touted ad nauseaum as a killer app and a launch title for the VCS. But here we are almost two and a half years after this thing was announced, less than two months before it's supposed to go to backers and they've got Atari Vault and Antstream...not even a hint that their revolutionary new gaming UnConsole will have their flagship IP on it.

hint hint!  

Well they say that's what they got but we haven't seen any proof that they even actually got what they say they got!

• Like 6